Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 12:32   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Hi All - I am currently facing a problem and any suggestions are welcome

I have currently moved into a new home with a ground and first floor. I have kept a small fridge in the first floor to avoid going down multiple times a day.

The problem is this: The power to the fridge on the first floor is taken from a 5A socket. When the cut over from EB to Generator happens during power cuts, the line trips due to the momentary overload and I have to manually switch it over. I tried to change the wiring of the socket to come from a 15 amp source but the wiring is not possible internally and it needs to be done externally, thus spoiling the interior of the room.

Is there anything which can be done that can automatically detect the power source (EB/Generator) and supply current only if its through EB? I saw an appliance which does exactly this on amazon however it is out of stock. Please let me know if anyone has faced this issue and solved it elegantly, without having to resort to external wiring. Thank you.

Regards
Arvind
Old 26th April 2023, 13:30   #2192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Hi All - I am currently facing a problem and any suggestions are welcome

I have currently moved into a new home with a ground and first floor. I have kept a small fridge in the first floor to avoid going down multiple times a day.

The problem is this: The power to the fridge on the first floor is taken from a 5A socket. When the cut over from EB to Generator happens during power cuts, the line trips due to the momentary overload and I have to manually switch it over. I tried to change the wiring of the socket to come from a 15 amp source but the wiring is not possible internally and it needs to be done externally, thus spoiling the interior of the room.

Is there anything which can be done that can automatically detect the power source (EB/Generator) and supply current only if its through EB? I saw an appliance which does exactly this on amazon however it is out of stock. Please let me know if anyone has faced this issue and solved it elegantly, without having to resort to external wiring. Thank you.

Regards
Arvind
If I understand correctly, the momentary over draw by the Fridge when switchover happens from EB->Gen is causing the MCB to trip.

If my understanding is correct, then adding a delayed start stabilizer can help.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 13:47   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If I understand correctly, the momentary over draw by the Fridge when switchover happens from EB->Gen is causing the MCB to trip.

If my understanding is correct, then adding a delayed start stabilizer can help.
Hi Sagar - Yes, that is right. Thank you for the suggestion. Will explore options. Thank you.

Regards
Arvind
Old 26th April 2023, 13:50   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
How is the Generator connected to the incoming distribution box?. Is the generator an auto start one?.

Quote:
Is there anything which can be done that can automatically detect the power source (EB/Generator) and supply current only if its through EB?
Generally, the generator is wired directly into the main incoming MCB so it is not possible to differentiate between EB and Generator power at the load (Fridge) level.

As @sagarpadaki had mentioned, a delayed start voltage stabilizer would wait for a few minutes for the Volts to settle down before switching on the load. This should mostly solve your problem.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:27   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
How is the Generator connected to the incoming distribution box?. Is the generator an auto start one?.
Yes, it is an auto start generator which kicks in about 10-15 seconds.

Quote:
As @sagarpadaki had mentioned, a delayed start voltage stabilizer would wait for a few minutes for the Volts to settle down before switching on the load. This should mostly solve your problem.
Yes, I will see if this can help me. Quick confirmation: Any voltage stabilizer would be delayed start only right?
Old 26th April 2023, 14:57   #2196
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I will see if this can help me. Quick confirmation: Any voltage stabilizer would be delayed start only right?
Please check specifically for a delayed start one - these will have 1-2 min delay (We have one such v-guard that was bought ages ago). Better purchase from the local store after testing the delay.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 15:35   #2197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Seeking advise on Home Interior painting:

Friends,

I am planning to get my residence in Pune (3 BHK apartment) painted. Looking for getting a premium paint done - last done was Lustre (Oil based) and this time looking for water based. Got a few quotes below for Asian Paints and the choices for water based paints and as per market trends.

Asian Paints Aspira - Rs 32 per sq feet
Asian Paints Royale Luxury - rs 28 per sq feet

Just want to understand from experts here -

1) What can be my choices of paints if anymore? Am sure there must be similar products in other brands but looking only for only unique product not the variants in different brands

2) Whether the prices are in line with market rates in Pune?

Thanks!!
No suggestions, anyone?
Old 26th April 2023, 22:58   #2198
BHPian

Quote:
No suggestions, anyone?
Are these rates given by the Asian Paints guys ? I am asking since they seem a bit lower than regular painter rates.
My experience with any painting being done by the company guys has not been that great since the quality of work is not up to the mark. The Brands normally work on aggregator model to get these works done, and most of the times, the process is where the teams compromise to save on the costs.
Fortunately, being in the Interiors / Civil works business, my regular painter does a better job albeit at a little higher rates.

For options, you may try out Jotun Paints - their Fenomastic Range is a good option for Interior walls since they are odor-less.
Dulux is also another brand you can look at. Their Velvet Touch range is good.
hkanitkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 17:19   #2199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No suggestions, anyone?
If the wall finish is smooth and level go for Aspira or Royale luxury. Else stick to just the Royale.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 18:20   #2200
BHPian

Thanks for your responses sagarpadaki, hkanitkar

The rates are from an independent contractor. Going in for the Aspira to see - at least it boasts of low VOX compared to the oil based ones.
Old 3rd May 2023, 10:26   #2201
BHPian

Wardrobe , Kitchen hardware and fittings

Hi all,
I have a query for the experts. We are planning to redo the wardrobes and kitchen in our home. I have come across brands like Hafele, Hettich, Assa Abloy and Ebco for the hardware. Now my questions are

1. Reliability and longevity of these European brands in long term (especially with respect to Indian environment and usage cycle)?
2. Is it worth spending extra money on some of these European hardware?
3. Warranty periods and the ease of claiming warranty among these European brands?
4. Where does Ebco (or any other Indian brand) stand in terms of quality and longevity among the European brands?
5. Other good quality and reasonably priced Indian alternatives?

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th May 2023, 19:17   #2202
BHPian

Hi all,
I have a query on labour charge for tile replacement. (floor tiles, bathroom tiles, terrace, parking etc). Can someone tell me the labour charge for a) laying the tiles b) removing the tiles.
Also, how much do the materials ( excluding the tiles) cost?
Old 6th May 2023, 09:58   #2203
BHPian

Re: Wardrobe , Kitchen hardware and fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LR-GUE View Post
Hi all,
I have a query for the experts. We are planning to redo the wardrobes and kitchen in our home. I have come across brands like Hafele, Hettich, Assa Abloy and Ebco for the hardware. Now my questions are

1. Reliability and longevity of these European brands in long term (especially with respect to Indian environment and usage cycle)?
2. Is it worth spending extra money on some of these European hardware?
3. Warranty periods and the ease of claiming warranty among these European brands?
4. Where does Ebco (or any other Indian brand) stand in terms of quality and longevity among the European brands?
5. Other good quality and reasonably priced Indian alternatives?

Thanks in advance!
We'd gotten our house done 2.5 yrs ago so I'll answer based on my experience.
We've used Ebco & Hettich mostly.

1. Hettich is holding up well in the timespan, no issues. There was a single issue with one hardware piece in the Kitchen which they had replaced/partially fixed under warranty.

2. Honestly, extremely satisfied with Ebco, only niche component that Ebco doesn't make/seemed flimsy were the one's in where Hettich was used.

3. Hettich: Claiming warranty was easy as we'd retained digital copies of the bill and warranty papers during installation. Ebco: Didn't need to till date.

4. It's the Superb v E-Class equation. 90% at 50% prices.

5. Check Nimmi, they were the other one recommended at the time we were getting Ebco.
ballfry is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 12:13   #2204
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wardrobe , Kitchen hardware and fittings

We used Hafele, Hettich, Ebco - long time back. All Ebco units failed and were replaced with Hettich. All Hafele units failed, again replaced with Hettich. Carpenter told us that there is a 50% chance of picking up a fake fitting (Yeah, its that high)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
We'd gotten our house done 2.5 yrs ago so I'll answer based on my experience. We've used Ebco & Hettich mostly.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 19:16   #2205
BHPian

Folks, can rain affect roof RCC slab casting if it rains after 2-3 hours since the casting was completed? Casting done using 5" thick slab using 53 Grade OPC.
If yes, what are the best ways to prevent any damage/loss assuming casting date cannot be pushed? I can think of using tarpaulin to cover the slab areas, anything else?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks