Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2021, 15:27   #1441
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

This is what I meant difference pigeon holes and a house.
Via google image. Copyright to respective owners
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-2_bhk_independent_houseforsalerajarajeshwari_nagarbangalorebuilding_view.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-4fbd3d721208308678a7230898d33cb5.jpg  

poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 15:32   #1442
BHPian

Dear all

Urgent call for help. Our apartment water has been contaminated with ecoli and coliform as per the water analysis
Does anyone know of agency/expert who can guide us on how to identify root cause and resolve

Most of the residents have fallen sick as of now

Cheers
Subra
Old 29th April 2021, 16:09   #1443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Dear all

Urgent call for help. Our apartment water has been contaminated with ecoli and coliform as per the water analysis
Does anyone know of agency/expert who can guide us on how to identify root cause and resolve

Most of the residents have fallen sick as of now

Cheers
Subra
Is it the borewell water or sump water?

If sump then get sump and overhead tank cleaned by any professional cleaning agency who are plenty. You will have to use bleach once the cleaning it done on the walls and floor of the sump. Let it sit for 1 hour and rinse and remove with fresh water. Do not use bleach on the overhead tanks if they are made of plastic.

A word of caution - Bleach releases chlorine gas which is harmful and can be fatal in enclosed areas. If the underground tanks are huge then I suggest you find a way where you can spray the bleach on the inner walls and the roof though the tank opening.

I do not know how to fix borewell water contaminated with ecoli

Either way, you have to find the root cause of why the water got contaminated. Did any animal fall inside the tank and die and decayed? Or Is there sewage line seeping into the tanks? Or, is the supply from the water tankers itself contaminated?

Root cause analysis is important to ensure that the contamination does not happen again
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:16   #1444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I agree, almost every landowner in Bangalore is out there to maximize the built-up area on the minimum possible land and give it out for rent.
I am seeing both ways - max construction, both for rent and self-use. The sites near our place are typically 4000 sq ft. The recent houses dont even have a garden at the traditional location -ie, on ground.

Just the bare minimum space around the sides, and a big house/building. Most with double height ceilings. Sophisticated designs, expensive materials. Looks like the gardens have moved to the roof ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:35   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is it the borewell water or sump water?

Root cause analysis is important to ensure that the contamination does not happen again
We have 2 tanks. Raw water and treated water tank. Both are at ground level. Water is brought in from Cauvery into raw water tank and is then passed through a 4 process filtration and sent to the treated tank. From here water is pumped to houses. Floors 1 to 13 is pumped directly and floor 13 to 22 through a riser

We got the raw and treated tank cleaned during the time the water samples were sent to test. 3 samples - 1 from the house, 1 from treated and 1 from raw tank. All 3 have shown positive for ecoli. During the course of cleaning we did not find any animal waste, carcass
STP is set apart from this and has no connection. Distance is as specified by BBMP. In fact more. STP water is used for flush tanks (completely separate line) and rest is sent out by carriers
We are looking for a good recommended expert who can help us. Based out of Bangalore
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:36   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
We got the raw and treated tank cleaned during the time the water samples were sent to test. 3 samples - 1 from the house, 1 from treated and 1 from raw tank. All 3 have shown positive for ecoli. During the course of cleaning we did not find any animal waste, carcass
Recently we had sewage ingress into our BWSSB water lines - thanks to Jio Fiber laying operations.
This resulted in contaminated water getting into our water storage (sump & overhead tank). What we did was to flush it out with bore well water and got the sump cleaned - by a professional tank cleaning service (I can dig up the contact details if you need it) they cleaned the tanks with with a spray of bleach and followed with a plain water wash using a pressure washer. But these are not really "experts" rather guys who do cleaning.

But you say that the tanks have already been cleaned, have you checked for water seepage in the storage tanks (including overhead tanks)? Especially the treated water one?
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:21   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Recently we had sewage ingress into our BWSSB water lines - thanks to Jio Fiber laying operations.
But you say that the tanks have already been cleaned, have you checked for water seepage in the storage tanks (including overhead tanks)? Especially the treated water one?
Hi Whitewing - Thanks. We are yet to find the source of contamination. However we have cleaned all the tanks now and again given the water for testing.
If you dont mind asking which area are you based out of. We are in JP Nagar Phase 2 and there was some ground work done by Airtel and Jio
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:03   #1448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
This seems to be much more practical implementation. Will get this done ASAP and will share some pics as well
Hi Akshay, any progress on this ? If you have not yet done it:

1. The supports at the corner can be in a triangular shape too. - will reduce the number of bricks by 25% approximately.

2. For the shade, you could also try the green net that is used for green-houses. This is quite cheap, actually. A 15 sq ft available for as little as 500 Rs. And if the heat reduction is not sufficient, then add another layer.

Once summer is past, take out these sheets, fold or roll up and store away.

Also, this can be done for the part of the house where the roof is lower. The rooms with higher roof are normally less warm. And by reducing the heating in the heat prone rooms, there is lesser warm air circulating in the house. Net effect - more effective cooling / less heating up in the house.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:49   #1449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hi Akshay, any progress on this ? .

Also, this can be done for the part of the house where the roof is lower. The rooms with higher roof are normally less warm. And by reducing the heating in the heat prone rooms, there is lesser warm air circulating in the house. Net effect - more effective cooling / less heating up in the house.
Hi, I had planned to get it done the following weekend, but the Maharashtra govt imposed lockdown so I couldn't get the metal support fabricated, neither the net. Yes the green net is very cheap and two layers of it does blocks sunlight effectively. I've installed this net on the front gate (mainly to reduce dust and avoid prying eyes). Once lockdown ends, I'll get it done. The terrace is not used much, only I go there to check on water level in the tank so rather than installing metal support , I'm thinking of tying the net to the nails hammered in the roof walls and I'll leave some gap between terrace entrance and the water tank for easy access.
On the other hand, I found zero cost solution to avoid the heated room - I've started sleeping in the living room
Thank you so much for your inputs sir I'll update here once net is installed.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 07:15   #1450
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Whitewing - Thanks. We are yet to find the source of contamination. However we have cleaned all the tanks now and again given the water for testing.
If you don't mind asking which area are you based out of. We are in JP Nagar Phase 2 and there was some ground work done by Airtel and Jio
In our case what happened was the trenchless digging m/c ruptured a sewage line and an water supply line is close proximity.
I suppose the same could occur in any area as well. I stay in RMV.

Hope your issue gets resolved soon.
Old 12th May 2021, 20:20   #1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I don't even mind if a small conventional lift can be constructed in a 3 ft x 3 ft space, in the yardspace. Say for a single person capacity carrying say a laundry basket.

If anyone has done such a thing, pls share, along with vendor details.

Hi, I am also in the process of the initial stages of designing my house. I am planning to construct 3 floors, the major issue I felt will be to carry materials like cloth buckets, clothes, ..etc between the floors. The possible alternative that I can see for lift is a small dumb-waiter-like mechanism to carry things up and down. I felt that a small dumb waiter (can be custom made) with local expertise outside the building walls connecting windows at various levels. Of course, it is not safe as a lift, does not have any safety mechanisms, and hence cheaper than a lift. If you are planning for a branded company, then it will be safe.

Just my initial thoughts. Not sure how practical it is. I am currently providing a space and provision for dumb waiter. Thinking about making it locally post completion of construction of the house.
Old 12th May 2021, 22:19   #1452
BHPian

I am planning to fix the toughened glass in balcony railing (home). Could you please suggest, what glass thickness will be suitable?
Old 13th May 2021, 01:28   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
I am planning to fix the toughened glass in balcony railing (home). Could you please suggest, what glass thickness will be suitable?
I think 12mm is the standard thickness for this
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 11:02   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibiGeorge View Post
Hi, I am also in the process of the initial stages of designing my house. I am planning to construct 3 floors, the major issue I felt will be to carry materials like cloth buckets, clothes, ..etc between the floors. The possible alternative that I can see for lift is a small dumb-waiter-like mechanism to carry things up and down. I felt that a small dumb waiter (can be custom made) with local expertise outside the building walls connecting windows at various levels. Of course, it is not safe as a lift, does not have any safety mechanisms, and hence cheaper than a lift. If you are planning for a branded company, then it will be safe.

Just my initial thoughts. Not sure how practical it is. I am currently providing a space and provision for dumb waiter. Thinking about making it locally post completion of construction of the house.
I am of the opinion that a lift is a boon in later part of your life. You may be healthy and spry now, but come old age or (god forbid) you break a leg, then negotiating stairs is quite difficult. When my wife broke her leg, we had to carry her up (our bedrooms are on first floor) and there she remained till her leg healed after two months. She would hobble around, but could not negotiate the stairs.

In fact I have seen a lot of people who have dogs that have grown old have a tough time carrying the dog (30kg+) up and down the stairs.

In fact if you have a big plot - say 400 square meters or more, it is advisable to have a lift that is capable of taking a stretcher in it.

Another area where people who install lift is saving money by not taking the lift to the terrace. It then becomes a major hassle at later stage of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
In my opinion any glass, toughened or not, poses a safety hazard during disasters - earthquake, hurricane etc.

My personal preference is a mild steel railing with a flat top (to place cups).
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 12:44   #1455
BHPian

Guys, I have a question about balcony weight. I know this might be a best guesstimate thing, but any idea would be appreciated. The building itself is 15 yrs+ old.

How much weight can the typical row house 1st-floor balcony take? I want to get the typical Intex pool for my doggos and possibly me to loaf about in for these summer months.

The size of the balcony is 12ft by 9ft. The pool/tub is 8ft by 5ft externally and 7.5ft by 3.9ft. The amount of water it can take is about 14 inches or just over a foot. So overall volume of water would be about 650-700 liters.

This is the item if interested: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 13th May 2021 at 12:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks