Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 19:14   #1291
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Where in Bangalore can we buy Wooden/Bamboo blinds for exterior use in a balcony/gazebo ? Want to see first hand what's available, then look at online options.
Try at shops selling/making cane furniture.

Shivaji Nagar area there were few sellers of cane furniture who used to keep these. I am not.sure now bit had seen many years ago.They are called 'chik'
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:50   #1292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Where in Bangalore can we buy Wooden/Bamboo blinds for exterior use in a balcony/gazebo ? Want to see first hand what's available, then look at online options.
NPV, two options I can think of:

1. The Desi Stores in the city - they had some nice ones (but curtains actually).

2. There are some guys who weave baskets and curtains - one I see regularly is near Krishnna Rajendra circle. Pls search for this coordinate on G-Maps: 12.956936, 77.573410

These are simple /plain ones. I think you can talk to them for customization (size etc)/
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:18   #1293
BHPian

I am in a bad situation and need some help. I am kind of a DIY guy and was fitting some bathroom racks in my flat. Was drilling the holes for fitment and didn't realise and hammerred the drill in the wall just where there was a pipe going through it. The result was a spray of water as the pipe punctured inside the wall.

Now luckily it was a single stp line so impact was limited and I isolated the water flow using the check valve for now.

Problem statement : is there a way to fix the leak ? The only opening I have is the drill hole. Do I need to get the tiles broken? I am not sure should I call a mason for repair or a plumber?
Old 25th November 2020, 23:17   #1294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Problem statement : is there a way to fix the leak ? The only opening I have is the drill hole. Do I need to get the tiles broken? I am not sure should I call a mason for repair or a plumber?
Unfortunately, both mason and plumber. And a new tile. Plastering on top will cause leakage into the wall, and that will be a bigger problem in future.

The tile can also be a challenge if your tiles are old type / size not in use now. Suggest to start looking for the replacement tile right away.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 23:36   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A similar issue happened at my place when they guys installing Gail gas pipe drilled through a water pipeline. Jamming the hole with MSeal and then covering it with white cement fixed the issue. Since it happened in the utility and the new Gail pipeline somewhat covers the mess, didn't bother replacing the tile.
Reading Condor's response, I am now worried about internal leakage. It has been over a year and there are no visible signs of the leak outside though.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 00:24   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happned 16 years ago in my kitchen.

Call a plumber he will remove tile at the spot and if it is CPVC pipe cut the damaged portion and replace for GI pipe something called metal paste needs to be filled in hole and also wrapped arounf this thing was used in my case.

After observing for couple of days for leaks you need to replace the tile.

If you are not getting matching tile best is to get few Moroccan design or Motif tiles and place them around in some pattern. May be one tile at the spot and one on opposite side or replacing one row near to damaged spot. This will give new look to bathroom as well

Quote:
I am in a bad situation and need some heltp. I am kind of a DIY guy and was fitting some bathroom racks in my flat. Was drilling the holes for fitment and didn't realise and hammerred the drill in the wall just where there was a pipe going through it. The result was a spray of water as the pipe punctured inside the wall.

Now luckily it was a single stp line so impact was limited and I isolated the water flow using the check valve for now.

amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 15:58   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Same thing happned 16 years ago in my kitchen.

Call a plumber he will remove tile at the spot and if it is CPVC pipe cut the damaged portion and replace for GI pipe something called metal paste needs to be filled in hole and also wrapped arounf this thing was used in my case.

After observing for couple of days for leaks you need to replace the tile.

If you are not getting matching tile best is to get few Moroccan design or Motif tiles and place them around in some pattern. May be one tile at the spot and one on opposite side or replacing one row near to damaged spot. This will give new look to bathroom as well

Have had a very similar issue 2 weeks ago. Our apartment is about 10 years old and they have used GI pipes every where. We had attempted a minor drilling work and unfortunately it punctured the GI pipe. The easiest solution was Mseal, so we did that with the help of a local guy, but within 2 weeks we are seeing water seepage in the same wall, but near the floor. This is where we keep our washing machine and dishwasher, plus we have wardrobe just 10inches above this hole. If it was PVC pipe the work would be very easy, but being GI it seems extremely complicated. And our flat is in the 1st floor of the building where have 19 floors in total, so pressure is certainly high. Any suggestions please?

.Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1607250348.117602.jpg
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 20:47   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If it was PVC pipe the work would be very easy, but being GI it seems extremely complicated. And our flat is in the 1st floor of the building where have 19 floors in total, so pressure is certainly high. Any suggestions please?

.Attachment 2089831
Mseal is not right here it comes off.

Ask some plumber to get metal paste It is green colour and used by plumbers to seal metal pipes.
It has to be applied on hole and also forming a long coil wrapped around pipe. Unfortunately I don't know brand.

Another better option is to take off that portion of pipe and replace with CPVC. However it will require to open up more tiles around 1' for plumber to cut GI pipe and join a piece of CPVC in between.
Old 6th December 2020, 21:31   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ask some plumber to get metal paste It is green colour and used by plumbers to seal metal pipes.
It has to be applied on hole and also forming a long coil wrapped around pipe. Unfortunately I don't know brand.
Metal paste needs drying time and it wont form a structural seal, unless it is a crack, but this is a hole. If there is a talented welder around he may fix it on the cheap by using metal shards or a fabricated metal clamp spot welding them onto the GI pipe, then the rest should be cemented and topped with Birla putty.

A solid solution will be to break about 6 more inches of wall, cutting the pipe about 3 inches after cutting off water supply and fixing a overlapping GI seal by metal paste and sealing it up from square one after adequate drying and testing.
Old 7th December 2020, 08:31   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Guys, look up Flex Tape and procure it from USA (Since you get 100% fakes in India)
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screen-shot-20201207-8.27.28-am.png  

Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 09:26   #1301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another better option is to take off that portion of pipe and replace with CPVC. However it will require to open up more tiles around 1' for plumber to cut GI pipe and join a piece of CPVC in between.
How to join a CPVC pipe with a GI pipe?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:03   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Have had a very similar issue 2 weeks ago. Our apartment is about 10 years old and they have...
M-seal is an epoxy putty, so there will be shrinkage as it cures. Also 2 part resins have to be mixed thoroughly, otherwise they don't work. My guess is that you can plug the hole with a screw of the appropriate size. There will be corrosion if the two metals are dissimilar (the pipe and the screw will definitely differ in composition) over the long term. Clean up the area around the hole with sandpaper, coat the screw (keep a few coated screws ready in case one fails while you fit it in) with thin epoxy glue and allow to dry or get some good paint and put on a few coats allowing plenty of time to dry/cure. Then wrap the screw in Teflon tape and plug the hole by screwing into the hole. Make sure that the screw thread does not cut the Teflon. You will have to size the screw and the thread on the screw in such a way that even without the Teflon and the paint on the screw it cannot be pushed out by the water pressure. Next you can put some mseal on the hole, screw and the surrounding area and cover it with a thin metal plate or even a piece of pvc pipe of similar diameter (matching the curvature), press it on, allow the whole thing to cure and then patch up the wall. This is what I'd do, so you need to use your own judgment and decide if you want to improve on my ideas. I only came up with this after I saw what your plumber had tried. Here is a video of how they seal a tank leak, but I doubt you can get a similar sealant here.

(I just saw that 3M 540 polyurethane sealant is available, this is better suited for plugging holes as it expands on curing and is likely used for scenarios such as this, but I believe 3M SG527 metal repair epoxy is the ideal one for this, if you can get it)

Good luck! And do let us know how you solve this problem.

Last edited by mvadg : 7th December 2020 at 10:25.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:50   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Try JB weld WaterWeld. It is a specially formulated epoxy that works even under water. Once it is set, the leak will be stopped permanently. I haven't tried this personally, but I have used the original JB Weld steel reinforced epoxy in all the DIY repairs quite successfully.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 20:32   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Mseal is not right here it comes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Metal paste needs drying time and it wont form a structural seal, unless it is a crack, but this is a hole. If there is a talented welder around he may fix it on the cheap by using metal shards or a fabricated metal clamp spot welding them onto the GI pipe, then the rest should be cemented and topped with Birla putty.

A solid solution will be to break about 6 more inches of wall, cutting the pipe about 3 inches after cutting off water supply and fixing a overlapping GI seal by metal paste and sealing it up from square one after adequate drying and testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
M-seal is an epoxy putty, so there will be shrinkage as it cures. Also 2 part resins have to be mixed thoroughly, otherwise they don't work. My guess is that you can plug the hole with a screw of the appropriate size. There will be corrosion if the two metals are dissimilar (the pipe and the screw will definitely differ in composition) over the long term. Clean up the area around the hole with sandpaper, coat the screw (keep a few coated screws ready in case one fails while you fit it in) with thin epoxy glue and allow to dry or get some good paint and put on a few coats allowing plenty of time to dry/cure. Then wrap the screw in Teflon tape and plug the hole by screwing into the hole. Make sure that the screw thread does not cut the Teflon. You will have to size the screw and the thread on the screw in such a way that even without the Teflon and the paint on the screw it cannot be pushed out by the water pressure.
Good luck! And do let us know how you solve this problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Like one of you mentioned, welding is an option, out apartment plumber claims that they have done such welding jobs on steel and GI pipes, this seems to be the easiest solution, and probably long term as well, considering the circumstances. We may try and attempt this sometime this week. hopefully it works out, else there would be a tough task at hand.

Last edited by motorworks : 7th December 2020 at 20:34.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 21:02   #1305
BHPian

Image Link

This needs to be fixed with the same thought process used in fixing a puncture in a tubeless tyre.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 7th December 2020 at 21:03. Reason: Added the image Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks