Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 10:30   #1426
BHPian

This channel has actual homes with variety of plans/designs across different site dimensions. I have been following him since a year as I plan to construct a house starting early next year.

Gives insights on different interior layouts

https://youtube.com/c/eBangaloreProperty

Standard Disclaimer: No affiliation of any sort

Last edited by akhil_007 : 16th April 2021 at 10:36.
Old 16th April 2021, 12:33   #1427
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
All these houses have one thing in common, elaborate use of glass and double height areas.
I'm not a big fan of large glass walls in a small residential building. Though it helps with natural light, it brings up challenges with respect to security, privacy and need for elaborate air conditioning. Though, for office/work spaces these are all usually not issues.

Last edited by NPV : 16th April 2021 at 12:34.
Old 16th April 2021, 12:56   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm not a big fan of large glass walls in a small residential building. Though it helps with natural light, it brings up challenges with respect to security, privacy and need for elaborate air conditioning. Though, for office/work spaces these are all usually not issues.
A thief can break in much more easier through a normal window than through a large toughened glass surface. For privacy any way you will need curtains or blinds.
You can search in youtube on small home designs in countries like Vietnam and Indonesia. These are aesthetically more pleasing unlike the pigeon hole kind of designs we do here.
Old 18th April 2021, 23:17   #1429

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I am going with Prominance they are Coiambattur based and in Bangalore Madhu industries has tieup with them so they assemble using profiles and hardware
Is there any reason why you didn't go with Aluminium windows from international brands like Aluk, Alumil, Reynaers, Schueco, Technal etc?

Quote:
4. LED downlighters : Phillips ,
Wipro can be next choice , howeevr Wipro is just around 10-15rs cheaper for each piece supose if you have approx 100 LED downlighters of 5W, 10W,15 W and may be 50 spot lights of 2W /3W in house ( assume 8 downlighter for each BR and also for hall common areas etc) the overall difference is just 1500 -2500 rs
Could you share any reference or guide for placing lights on on the ceiling? Did you go with PoP false ceilings for having multiple ceilings lights with each of low wattage? Any picture for inspiration?
Old 19th April 2021, 00:37   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is one of the best 20x30 designs I could find online.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=duf9ooCn7Ho
The layout is not very clear from the video, so I will not comment on that. But from a safety POV, those stairs without railings are a definite no-go if you have children or the elderly.

Quote:
A thief can break in much more easier through a normal window than through a large toughened glass surface. For privacy any way you will need curtains or blinds.
You can search in Youtube on small home designs in countries like Vietnam and Indonesia. These are aesthetically more pleasing unlike the pigeon hole kind of designs we do here.
IMO, designs from other countries, even from SE Asia, would not work in our setting without major changes or compromises. Even the appliances they use, availability of electricity for 24/7 air conditioning, cooking using induction stoves alone, etc, don't work here and impact the design. Plus, the climate in Vietnam and Indonesia are more comparable to KL or Goa and not Bangalore. So, the designs that work there might not be good for a Bangalore home.

Quote:
Another one which I like. This is on 1100 sqft but have two sides open. All these houses have one thing in common, elaborate use of glass and double height areas.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=A8GcfUfe-qc
Can someone help decipher the monologue from the first minute or two from the video? I couldn't understand a thing.

@poloman, doesn't the sidewall of this house look like pigeon holes, which you seem to detest (based on the previously quoted text)? On a serious note, the wall will become a nesting ground for birds and insects and be a nightmare to maintain.

PS: I have nothing against you, just expressing my views. Please don't go by youtube videos alone. At best, you can borrow some inspiration from them. Any house can be staged to look good for a video or photo. Only when someone starts living there, one gets to see the practical difficulties. If possible try to visit and try to talk to the residents of these houses before you decide. Personally, I feel the designs shared by you will age will and most likely not work for the Bangalore setting (with lots of dust).

Last edited by Jaguar : 19th April 2021 at 00:51.
Old 19th April 2021, 01:10   #1431
Team-BHP Support

My 11 month old son who’s presently staying with his mum at Gujarat was to visit me next week. He’s started to crawl and walk with support and can quickly reach from one corner to another in no time! Unfortunately due to the current covid scene, the plans got shelved. Expecting his arrival, I decided to do some baby-proofing all around in my apartment so he is safe during the stay. Nothing expensive or fancy though as I stay as a bachelor in this small apartment so I had to make do with the things I have without putting too much money or efforts. Here are some things I did.

We had some utensils and containers kept below the kitchen slab in slotted angle racks (the apartment had no shelving or racks anywhere). I had a spare plank with me after the wall-mounted tool rack was fabricated so I made a few drawings and called the Urbancompany carpenter to make some shelves which could be wall mounted above the slab.

Rack 1:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-79f7c7ed25bb4cfcb2cea0ae82685d4f.jpeg

Rack 2:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-62055a48b5734faab7be7e1daefbd746.jpeg

Nesting plan :
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-21d8dbcc16d540d5bc6eb0dea7bd7d48.jpeg

The Urbancompany carpenter starts his work:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-2b041ad8db0b470aa2dd9c33c8e41615.jpeg

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-bed41030174f462f8616870536e21460.jpeg

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-98fca06a8de94db79be8cda68a883ae4.jpeg

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-a62898fedabb4fae92e19f098dc7d116.jpeg

Racks wall mounted:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-abd60de5d9924a09aaa2f2ef79c2739c.jpeg

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-f0e61775fa144792b2405716edb09431.jpeg

The stuffs all arranged in the racks:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-0c8faa027f204aab85794f8a8839438e.jpeg

Added some threaded hooks to hang the cups and the cutlery cup at the corner:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-883e7da361234172bc99ac3367b2241a.jpeg

The TV rack had many sharp edges and corners:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-b7c43fead7dc40b9921476f5668de12c.jpeg

Covered them up with some foam tape all around:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-119aef38533449368e65a33f53d5ca26.jpeg

This tape is available on Amazon with a tape. The tape isn’t the usual double sided foam tape but had a net-like thingy which was super strong. I am seeing such an adhesive tape for the first time!

Close-up of the corners:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-71098115b3b5405fbb26163c2d4a071c.jpeg

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-9e45ddba48e14e59aed647a2a5279bcb.jpeg

The bottom two shelves of the utility rack had many tools which were left exposed:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-903d55a706a84648b0202132c4c7897b.jpeg

Covered them up with a discarded cardboard of a refrigerator and used cable ties to secure the cardboard to the corners. A thin 4 mm thk plywood would have worked best with hinges but not really required now:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-2ec1544865544a53a76f7e3e1c33d87a.jpeg

The foldable shoe rack had several sharp edges. There was no way I could have covered this thing:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-5dd97342bff9499e8ed423ca87d89cdf.jpeg

Moved it outside to the common verandah outside the apartment:
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-aa33eb57df7d4b2197f49ccb77005bcb.jpeg

But the cam lock broke and I’ll have to replace it one of these days. Don’t have many fancy shoes or slippers but I can’t afford to lose my daily workwear or the safety shoes which I wear when I visit the shipyard.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th April 2021 at 01:16.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 08:58   #1432
Distinguished - BHPian

Good prep, Gannu.

One suggestion: not to open the cardboard of the tool rack when he is around. If he sees you doing that, it will get to him faster that he too can remove it. And it's the heavy tools right there ....
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:55   #1433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was also chased a lot by Fennista sales but I shooed them away.
I am in talks with Veka, AIS guys too apparently get their frame from Veka.

What glass does Prominance / Fenesta use, AIS or Saint Gobain?

Any idea on how much difference does it make in terms of room temperature / sound insulation & cost difference between two glass windows vs single glass? All South facing windows would be double glass as well as the road side window ones. Was thinking to get single window panes for West side in 1st floor if the cost difference is huge.

To give you an idea of summer / heat, my parents still sleep w/o fans as of today, environment is still cool. It is the months of July, August, September where due to extreme humidity, we all face issues. I have sinusitis and it gets aggravated during that time.
Quote:
What equipment's you are looking for ? In general

Wires
1. Finolex Gold or Havells or Anchor Panasonic FR , avoid Finolex silver packaging that is lighter quality of finolex
I might be getting good deals with RR Kabel guys.

Quote:
2. MCB , RCCB, SPD :

3. Switches :

4. LED downlighters : Phillips ,
5. Submersible pump: Kirlosker or Crompton or any other reputed brand.
Other bits, I will look around and get back. Just one thing, for submersibles, KSB is the absolute best in business. [My work involves around installing them, hence...]

Thanks for your detailed and insightful post, much appreciated . Will pick your brains if I falter somewhere.
Old 19th April 2021, 10:50   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez View Post
Is there any reason why you didn't go with Aluminium windows from international brands like Aluk, Alumil, Reynaers, Schueco, Technal etc?
My experience with Alumimium was limited to locally fabricated al windows and was unhappy with them as rollers of 7 feet high slidrswear out too fast due to weight of glass.

So i never explored this option of Aluminium windows however the brands you ment look different.

Any idea how much these windows cost compared to UPVC or in terms of per square feet costs ?
I am yet to place final order as flooring is not complete and floor to ceiling glass partitions can't be measured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez View Post

Could you share any reference or guide for placing lights on on the ceiling? Did you go with PoP false ceilings for having multiple ceilings lights with each of low wattage? Any picture for inspiration?
Yes have gone for Gypsum false ceiling.
Haven't used any guide but just based on room layout and current lighting exp have gone for the following picture will post later as I am not in Bangalore right now.

For led light in rooms one coove running around along the wall which will have LED strip and in rooms going for 4x 10W down lighter inside the 4 corners the rectiangle formed inside this coove and 4x 5W downlighters placed in between the two bigger LEDs
Some of the interior walls are exposed redbrick so along these walls 2W spotlights (warm daylight colour in gangs of 3)

Total will be 40W +20W = 60W of diffused down lights which can be turned on in groups of 20w (2 10s)and 4 x 5Ws)

and 12 W of indirect light in coove. + 12w of reflected wall lights

Requirement of low diffused light xan be met by switching off downlights and keeping on only coove.

In my current home i have seen approx 30-40W of led light is good for full bright light �� in 12'x20' room.

In practice no one ever uses all the lights but you need to place them at equal distance on all sides just for uniformity and looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am in talks with Veka, AIS guys too apparently get their frame from Veka.

What glass does Prominance / Fenesta use, AIS or Saint Gobain?
Prominance uses Sant Gobain fenesta I am not sure.
Double glass I was told is unnecessary in Bangalore scenario and almost everyone use 5mm normal glass.
In some areas I have decided for 8mm toughned glass and 10mm toughned glass for skylights

Last edited by amitk26 : 19th April 2021 at 11:02. Reason: Fixing quotes
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 09:37   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

The bottom two shelves of the utility rack had many tools which were left exposed:
Wonderful Job. A couple of pointers borne out of experience here:
1. The particle board shelf in Kitchen ? It won't last long. I have made kitchen cabinet with marine plywood and sunmica sheet. It lasted for about 8 years. The moisture found its way in and the wood started pealing then warping. Even concrete shelves didn't last more than 10 years. At least they can be cemented over with water proofing chemicals.

2. I am drooling over your collection of tools. If there is going to be a kid around, fix the top of the utility cabinet with a coach screw on both sides to the wall so that the shelf doesn't topple over. I have heard horror stories of steel almira toppling over people.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 09:50   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wonderful Job. A couple of pointers borne out of experience here:
1. The particle board shelf in Kitchen ? It won't last long. I have made kitchen cabinet with marine plywood and sunmica sheet. It lasted for about 8 years. The moisture found its way in and the wood started pealing then warping. Even concrete shelves didn't last more than 10 years. At least they can be cemented over with water proofing chemicals.
What you need for kitchens is boiling water proof (BWP) ply or alternatively this composite called HDHMR. Basic marine ply won't work.

Standard particle boards will disintegrate in a year.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:22   #1437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

I might be getting good deals with RR Kabel guys.

Just one thing, for submersibles, KSB is the absolute best in business. [My work involves around installing them, hence...]
I do not know about RR Kabel, cross verify with a few shops and electricians on the brand before taking a plunge.

In my view, Finolex Gold, VGuard cables are the better ones followed by Anchor followed by Havells. I would not consider any other brands

BTW, for pumps, is KSB better than Texmo Taro for borewell application? Someone I know of is drilling a borewell next week and would be needing a pump soon. I suggested Texmo Taro to him.
Old 20th April 2021, 11:54   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The layout is not very clear from the video, so I will not comment on that. But from a safety POV, those stairs without railings are a definite no-go if you have children or the elderly.

IMO, designs from other countries, even from SE Asia, would not work in our setting without major changes or compromises. Even the appliances they use, availability of electricity for 24/7 air conditioning, cooking using induction stoves alone, etc, don't work here and impact the design. Plus, the climate in Vietnam and Indonesia are more comparable to KL or Goa and not Bangalore. So, the designs that work there might not be good for a Bangalore home.

Can someone help decipher the monologue from the first minute or two from the video? I couldn't understand a thing.

@poloman, doesn't the sidewall of this house look like pigeon holes, which you seem to detest (based on the previously quoted text)? On a serious note, the wall will become a nesting ground for birds and insects and be a nightmare to maintain.

PS: I have nothing against you, just expressing my views. Please don't go by Youtube videos alone. At best, you can borrow some inspiration from them. Any house can be staged to look good for a video or photo. Only when someone starts living there, one gets to see the practical difficulties. If possible try to visit and try to talk to the residents of these houses before you decide. Personally, I feel the designs shared by you will age will and most likely not work for the Bangalore setting (with lots of dust).
I am saying this is the contemporary trend. In small plots like 600sqft unless you employ novel techniques, your house will be a dark den. No one is going to copy the designs you see online in totality. Absorb the best features you like.

The brick work, of course has merits and demerits. He has put up his viewpoint in the video. And of course every one is entitled to their own opinion. This is more like jaali work. By pigeon hole I meant the 3-4 storied monotonous rectangular designs with small windows you see all over Bangalore with out application of any architectic mind.

You can search for contemporary or modern houses in google and see for for yourself, what kind of houses turns up. I have made up mind on an open modern design with lot of glass facades and some jaali work.

Last edited by poloman : 20th April 2021 at 11:56.
Old 20th April 2021, 13:24   #1439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah I am aware that these shelves may not last long. Haven’t coated them with any paint or varnish either. I’ve just left them the way they are now as I did not want to spend too much. Even if these manage to last for a couple of years, I’d be glad.

Quote:
2. I am drooling over your collection of tools. If there is going to be a kid around, fix the top of the utility cabinet with a coach screw on both sides to the wall so that the shelf doesn't topple over. I have heard horror stories of steel almira toppling over people.
I guess you’ve already seen this thread -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...organiser.html (Pics: My Wall Tool Organiser)

Most of my stuff like the consumables - sprays, liquids, waxes, fasteners, clips, electrical terminals and connectors, hardware of all kinds etc. are organised in different containers, sorted in different cardboard boxes and kept in this rack. All thanks to my left-brain dominance.

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-7cde16572284415d9ddbbe2d53495a33.jpeg

The slotted angle rack is not fixed to the wall yet. I’ll have it fixed with a few screws at the top since I don’t move this from the location. Impossible to move without removing some of the heavy items from the racks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th April 2021 at 13:26.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 15:19   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By pigeon hole I meant the 3-4 storied monotonous rectangular designs with small windows you see all over Bangalore with out application of any architectic mind.
I agree, almost every landowner in Bangalore is out there to maximize the built-up area on the minimum possible land and give it out for rent. In the past few decades, in most cities and Bangalore in particular, I see no importance given to aesthetics. We hardly come across any timeless design.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks