Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2021, 23:06   #1351

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Can anybody suggest on a good CCTV setup. I'm planning to install 4 CCTV cameras outside the house. Since the house is 40 years old, there were no provision made for cabling CCTV cameras.

Looking for IP/Digital CCTV cameras.

Panasonic CCTV cameras seem to be good but I couldn't find systems or installers here in Bangalore. Also Godrej seems to have some products but I would prefer good cameras from brands like Panasonic. Not sure if any other systems out there with good video quality and User interface.

Would need suggestions on:
1. A good CCTV system.
2. How to manage cabling for this.
Old 16th March 2021, 15:48   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez View Post
Would need suggestions on:
1. A good CCTV system.
2. How to manage cabling for this.
I have a HikVision setup with 4 cameras (external, waterproof), 8-channel DVR and the works; which costed about 25K or there-off, a couple of years ago.
Wiring was external, all neatly wound in a 1" pipe; setup by the CCTV guys.
Old 16th March 2021, 16:03   #1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I have a HikVision setup with 4 cameras (external, waterproof), 8-channel DVR and the works; which costed about 25K or there-off, a couple of years ago.
Wiring was external, all neatly wound in a 1" pipe; setup by the CCTV guys.
  1. If possible, could you share some screenshots of daytime and night time video?
  2. How is the video quality. I keep reading that the video quality won't be good enough to make out the face in analog (home) setups. Can we recognize face details of the person from the video?
  3. If you mean DVR, it means analog cameras right? Do they need extra power source or the cameras are powered by single cable from DVR to the camera?
  4. How are the cables taken inside the home? Do the installation guys drill hole in the wall for this?
Old 16th March 2021, 16:57   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
  1. If possible, could you share some screenshots of daytime and night time video?
  2. How is the video quality. I keep reading that the video quality won't be good enough to make out the face in analog (home) setups. Can we recognize face details of the person from the video?
  3. If you mean DVR, it means analog cameras right? Do they need extra power source or the cameras are powered by single cable from DVR to the camera?
  4. How are the cables taken inside the home? Do the installation guys drill hole in the wall for this?
1) Video quality is good enough to recognise faces/ vehicles, but reading license plate numbers will be a challenge at night
2) Yes Analog cameras powered from the DVR
3) Yup, they had to drill the wall but sealed it well
4) As for screenshots, will share when I have them
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 20:40   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
1) Video quality is good enough to recognise faces/ vehicles, but reading license plate numbers will be a challenge at night
At what distance does this work well? I have 4K cameras but wasnt able to read the number plate of a mobile phone thief's bike, who snatched a phone near my place and drove in front of my house. My cameras are at a height of 15 feet and about 15 feet horizontal distance from the moving bike. Stationary vehicles number plate reading works well.
Old 17th March 2021, 01:23   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
At what distance does this work well? I have 4K cameras but wasnt able to read the number plate of a mobile phone thief's bike, who snatched a phone near my place and drove in front of my house. My cameras are at a height of 15 feet and about 15 feet horizontal distance from the moving bike. Stationary vehicles number plate reading works well.
Mine is mounted similarly and exhibit the same behaviour, stationary plates can be read easily; moving vehicles nope!
Old 17th March 2021, 12:45   #1357
BHPian

I am confused whether to go for conventional red bricks or AAC blocks in the construction of my new house. Which is a good option? Please suggest.
Old 17th March 2021, 14:51   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyravi View Post
I am confused whether to go for conventional red bricks or AAC blocks in the construction of my new house. Which is a good option? Please suggest.

1. Normal AAC block for regular RCC frame construction wherever you need plastered surface. Strength of
Block is in order of 10KN/mm^2 construction is faster and this is eco-friendlier and stronger compared to red bricks.
This is cheapest and strongest option of the 3.

2. Lightweight flyash blocks : if you want to use on higher floors to reduce weight on the structure also construction is rapid as block pf 2X size of normal AAC block is jist 7Kg so easier to lift but costs more.

3. Red bricks : if and only if you want exposed facing brick finish. Cost is higher and compressive strength is in order of 3KN/mm^2.
Brick clins use a lot of coal to bake bricks whereas AAC blocks have some flyash and Lightweight blocks also use Gypsum and flyash both of these are getting upcycled.
amitk26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 15:05   #1359
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:

I'm looking to soundproof the windows in the road side hall/room.
  1. Is there any other good brands in Bangalore that make good uPVC, aluminum or wood windows. (@amitk26's post is close to 2 years old. )
  2. I think for sound proofing, we would need to avoid aluminum since metals can conduct sound better. Is this correct?
  3. When we do install a uPVC or an aluminum frame window, can we install a metal grill for security later?
After reading about sound proofing windows (https://www.doorwindowbasics.in/2019...-in-india.html), I'm planning to go with Tilt and turn type windows.
The best solution to soundproof your windows is by using UPVC profiles with glazing. These will cut down road noise to a great extent. You can visit Fenesta showroom in Indirangar 12th Main or Koramangala Maharaja signal and see. Other brands like Akshara also make good profiles. PLease see the sample before finalising.

Aluminium window channels usually get difficult to operate over time and UPVC is a preferred material nowadays. Lets in a lot more noise as well.

Yes a metal safety grille can be installed. Though it better to do the grille work first then install the window or door.The putty work needs to be completed and surface needs to be smooth as exact measurements are required since cutting and assembly will happen at a factory and final installation will be done on site.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 17th March 2021 at 15:20.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 15:15   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I would like get advice on UPVC windows and doors. I am planning to install UPVC door as gallary door. Basically I would like to have sound insulation.

Which brand to go? What is the pricing? Please share photos of installation if you have done.

I have got approximate pricing for Rs.2000 persqft for door and Rs. 700 persqft for windows.
UPVC door will need to have toughened glass as any glass with possibility to walk through needs it to be installed compulsory for safety.

Fenesta is at the premium end of the market at 1200 rs per square foot. Other brands should be around 750-800 for 3 track sliding door of 5 mm toughened with stainless steel mesh.

Windows should be around 650 Rs per square foot for 5 mm plain glass with 2.5 track sliding with SS mosquito mesh.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 16:41   #1361
BHPian

I am constructing a stilt+4 floors residential building, each floor one apartment. I would like to know how much KVA generator is required for lighting common areas, running of lift, water motor and basic house hold appliances in all the 4 units.
Old 18th March 2021, 10:43   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am constructing a stilt+4 floors residential building, each floor one apartment. I would like to know how much KVA generator is required for lighting common areas, running of lift, water motor and basic house hold appliances in all the 4 units.
The calculations are as follows

1. Lift, water pumps and common utilities : 5-10, say 10 KVA
2. Each floor, assuming 3 BR+DD
- AC x 4 x 1.5T = 6T : 7 KVA min
- Refrigerators and lighting : 1.5 KVA
- Computers, TV etc : 1 KVA
Total = 7+1.5+1 = 9.5 ~ 10KVA
So for 4 floors = 4x10+10 = 50 KVA

These are peak values and may be +- 15KV in real life. So taking into account efficiency and any other load you end up with 70KV generator, and that is what is used in Delhi
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:08   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The calculations are as follows

1. Lift, water pumps and common utilities : 5-10, say 10 KVA
2. Each floor, assuming 3 BR+DD
- AC x 4 x 1.5T = 6T : 7 KVA min
- Refrigerators and lighting : 1.5 KVA
- Computers, TV etc : 1 KVA
Total = 7+1.5+1 = 9.5 ~ 10KVA
So for 4 floors = 4x10+10 = 50 KVA

These are peak values and may be +- 15KV in real life. So taking into account efficiency and any other load you end up with 70KV generator, and that is what is used in Delhi
Thank you very much for your reply and detailed calculations. Can you suggest a good brand and what would be the cost of a 70 KV DG set with auto switch features.
Old 18th March 2021, 11:17   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply and detailed calculations. Can you suggest a good brand and what would be the cost of a 70 KV DG set with auto switch features.
Please also remember that generators require a minimum load to run efficiently. Running them under 30-40% load for an extended period is bad, plus you are just consuming more diesel.

Most small apt units in Bangalore only consider lighting load and not the heating load (15a circuit) when sizing the DG.
Old 18th March 2021, 11:31   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post

Most small apt units in Bangalore only consider lighting load and not the heating load (15a circuit) when sizing the DG.
Our requirement is primarily to power the lift during power cuts, basic lighting and lift water from UG sump to Overhead tank.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks