Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 15:27   #1411
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Stumbled upon this gold mine of a thread, thanks guys!

I own a small 20*30 site in south Bangalore and looking to construct a home for about 1200 square feet. Queries below:
  1. Is an F.S.I of upto 2x allowed legally per B.D.A limits?
  2. What steps do i need to ensure that construction provides for good ventilation, airiness and sun-light? Technically, what do i need to inform the architect to achieve above said objectives?
  3. Will the house be extremely congested, considering the site is a puny 595 Square Feet? I intend to have a covered car parking in the porch!
  4. Any recommendation of a good architect or structural engineer around South Benglauru side is highly appreciated.

Broadly speaking, 20x30 will be small but you can make it look big and airy with right planning. Also depends on site facing direction since there are no setbacks required to be left on sides.Idea would be to have entire GF for parking,
1st floor- Hall,Kitchen/Dining/Pooja, Common Bathroom
2nd Floor-2 Bedrooms +1 Family living.
GF can also have a 1BHK/1HK with reduced parking space.

The first step would be to fix your budget and then decide what to choose from options like Labour Contract/Full Contract. If you go with Architect, there are few options there as well like Turnkey(End-End) OR Consultation only etc. Typical rates quoted by Contractor these days are between 2L-2.3L per square. But since its 20x30, they tend to have lot of extra charges and are a pain to deal with generally.

Architects typically charge between 5-8% of project cost for Turnkey and Flat Pricing for consultations.
I have seen and used Ashwin's(https://www.ashwinarchitects.com/) work over past 10-12 years and he is good.
Few friends and acquaintances have used Praveen's(http://ardesarchitects.com/) services and they are happy as well
Maya Praxis(https://mayapraxis.com) is also very good but have heard they're a bit pricey.

Having a lift definitely helps but I'm not sure that can be accommodated.

I think amitk26 can provide better inputs on cost and pricing for overall construction.

Last edited by akhil_007 : 14th April 2021 at 15:29.
akhil_007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:36   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting story and a grim reminder to all to be 100% involved in any repairs/restoration/construction work you undertake!

Link
Old 14th April 2021, 16:01   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Is an F.S.I of upto 2x allowed legally per B.D.A limits?
FAR (FSI) of 1.75 is permissible for Residential Main Zone, but you can build 2.0

Quote:
What steps do i need to ensure that construction provides for good ventilation, airiness and sun-light? Technically, what do i need to inform the architect to achieve above said objectives?
Tough but possible. By law you need to leave 1.0m on all sides except the right hand side of your property

Quote:
Will the house be extremely congested, considering the site is a puny Square Feet? I intend to have a covered car parking in the porch!
Covered car park means the main living spaces will be on the floors above.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 17:32   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Architects typically charge between 5-8% of project cost for Turnkey and Flat Pricing for consultations.
I have seen and used Ashwin's(https://www.ashwinarchitects.com/) work over past 10-12 years and he is good.
Few friends and acquaintances have used Praveen's(http://ardesarchitects.com/) services and they are happy as well
Maya Praxis(https://mayapraxis.com) is also very good but have heard they're a bit pricey.

Having a lift definitely helps but I'm not sure that can be accommodated.
Thanks for the wonderful ideas mate, quoting only relevant bits of the thread.
I have spoken to Ashwin architects, a lady picked up and had 0 clue when i referred to as FSI. I guess a visit is in order, considering its barely 2kms to me.

WE dont plan to have lifts, but instead of thinking of a ramp, on which elderlies can be wheel-chaired away. Easier & cost/maintenance effective.

I plan to have a tiled roof setup (Commonly see in Mangalore/KL) side, how practical is this in Bangalore?
Advantages of tiled terracotta tiled roof is that, it drips off water and also reduce in-home temperature reducing need for a AC/Cooler.

My aim is to something like this (albeit with less grandeur), no clue about the associated costs.
Take a look at
Old 14th April 2021, 18:26   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful ideas mate, quoting only relevant bits of the thread.
I have spoken to Ashwin architects, a lady picked up and had 0 clue when i referred to as FSI. I guess a visit is in order, considering its barely 2kms to me.

WE dont plan to have lifts, but instead of thinking of a ramp, on which elderlies can be wheel-chaired away. Easier & cost/maintenance effective.

I plan to have a tiled roof setup (Commonly see in Mangalore/KL) side, how practical is this in Bangalore?
Advantages of tiled terracotta tiled roof is that, it drips off water and also reduce in-home temperature reducing need for a AC/Cooler.
AFAIK, its called FAR(instead of FSI). I vaguely remember its 1.75. You can visit BDA Office in BSK BDA Complex. If not BDA officials, there are dime a dozen contractors who help in floor plan/plan approvals. You will get your answer in 15 secs.

Provision for Solar + Overhead Water Tank + Space to dry clothes in sunlight would leave space for cosmetic purposes only as far as Tiled Roof is concerned. Happy to know if that is not the case.

Alternative is to use Dulux Weathershield paint on roof inconjunction with a skylight(to allow hot air to escape from inside. Also provides ample amount of light).

Last edited by akhil_007 : 14th April 2021 at 18:28.
akhil_007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:42   #1416
NAK

Hello friends. Any recommendations for good Italian marble showrooms around Bangalore where range, quality and price points are fairly good and reasonable?
Old 14th April 2021, 22:49   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
Hello friends. Any recommendations for good Italian marble showrooms around Bangalore where range, quality and price points are fairly good and reasonable?
The best is Hindustan Marble and Granite (HMG) on Lalbagh Road in my experience.

They have the best range and top quality. In marble and granite one has to select a good slab, cut and then process it properly for the best effect. Fissures and cracks have to be avoided. That's where I found the biggest difference between HMG and others.

Also they have good customer service and you can ask for the slab to be moved and shown if required via crane.

Slabs are displayed well in open air for best effect. You can visit a few other places to get an idea then go to HMG.
Old 14th April 2021, 23:10   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I thought only Fenesta is the one ruling the roost, but on enquiring further, came to know, AIS makes & installs them too. As does Koemmerling, Prominance & Veka. I am sure there maybe others. Any difference between these?
I am going with Prominance they are Coiambattur based and in Bangalore Madhu industries has tieup with them so they assemble using profiles and hardware

Key points
1. Gi Reinforcement throughout the channel barring the area where lock comes in many brands they don't put Reinforcement fully.

2. Grills can be fitted on their UPVC frame contrasting with Fennista who say grill has to necessarily go in the window cill.
3. Very transparent pricing and quotations

See this picture
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-20210414_222804.jpg
This is cross section of profile the red color channel is GI Reinforcement and the other 20 mm rectiangular steel tube is screwed to the UPVC frame on which powder coated grill is welded. Madhu Industries people manufacture the MS grills and they come as powder coated (along with frame) so overall you save money on primer painting etc and powder coated finish is better.

I was also chased a lot by Fennista sales but I shooed them away
They were acting very pricy when I first contacted them unwilling to qive me any estimated oer square eet rates.after many weeks they saw my site and started chasing me. For the full work I got inital verbal quote of 18 L when I cross questioned them and asked them to send quotes over email it automatically came down to 14.5 and when I gave no response came down further to 12.5 and they said they are willing to negotiate further when I said no to them
This revision happned just because I cut their calls abruptly and bluntly told their manager I don't want to talk any further but it eroded my confidence.

In contrast Madhu Industries gave me one single quote on day 1 and clearly told they won't negotiate price .

I was also contacted by Aparna Vennister initial quote for all 3 floors 12.5 Lakhs same story as Fennista I stopped talking and final discounted price came down to 7.5L.

In case of Madhu the price was same as final price given by Aparna but it included powder coated MS grill in areas I wanted and also 8mm toughned glass where I am not going for grills (mostly floor to ceiling sliding glass partitions)

In addition they also do skylights and I have 4 skylights in house size being two of 12x7 one of 5x6 and on 5.5 feet diameter circle. The skylight was separate quote and fit and finish is better than local fabricaters.

Quote:

Any advise on electrical equipment's?
What equipment's you are looking for ? In general

Wires
1. Finolex Gold or Havells or Anchor Panasonic FR , avoid Finolex silver packaging that is lighter quality of finolex

2. MCB , RCCB, SPD : any reputed company Havells or L&T or Legrand

3. Switches : Legrand , GM or Crabtree avoid Anchor Roma. Problem with Havells/crabtree is too many different kinds of plates/switch and if they discontinue a model procuring same may be an issue. Electrician recommended GM.

4. LED downlighters : Phillips ,
Wipro can be next choice , howeevr Wipro is just around 10-15rs cheaper for each piece supose if you have approx 100 LED downlighters of 5W, 10W,15 W and may be 50 spot lights of 2W /3W in house ( assume 8 downlighter for each BR and also for hall common areas etc) the overall difference is just 1500 -2500 rs

4. Fans : Choose BLDC fans from either Superfan or Gorilla they are 28W or 35W depending on model compared to 70-90W for normal fans.

5. Submersible pump: Kirlosker or Crompton or any other reputed brand.

6. Kitchen Chimney and Hobs : Faber all the way. We have a faber setup in our current flat working flawlessly since 2003

7. Heatpump : go for any vendor who uses good brand compressors and can give you hybrid solar + heatpump setup.

8. Pressure boosting pump : kirlosker or any other you need this only if you have big showers

9 white goods: AC dishwasher , washing machine , Refrigerator, microwave as per your choice.

10. Solar panels: Go for bifacial monoperc panels now a days single panel is available for 385 to 415 W with grid tied solar hybrid. I am yet to explore more on solar energy part.

Quote:
This seems quite a helpful post.
I'm in South Bangalore and would definitely need a lot of contacts and also information

How do I go about contacting you?
PM me best route

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
Any specific reason you want Italian marble ? Check good layers and laying rates first. Ask rates for 7 layers diamond polish.
Most of the marble workers are from Rajasthan and to some extent UP. And Finding good marble workers in Bangalore is biggest challenge in Covid times.

For buying stones it depends on quantity if you have smaller needs Krizmar on Sarjapur road or HMG and many other in same area will work fine.
If you want more quantity either go to Shoolgiri ( after Hosur in Krishnagiri district) or Jigani.

Depending on size of your rooms you may want to go for gangsaw or smaller slabs of 4x11 feet . If you have average room sizes like 12x14 feet ot 12x16 Buying gangsaw slabs don't make much sense as they need to be cut anyway.

On an average difference in price between upto 4 feet wide slab and gangsaw size of any stone is about double.

Always buy any stone during the day time and check for cracks. Stone is measured as per least dimention to make a perfect rectiangle excluding cracks , pinhole etc.

PS ; imported marbles (italy, turkey, Levant region) are generally are full of cracks and pinholes so they are filled with epoxy and come pre-polished and have a gauge to support stone due to low strength. Since the slabs are pre-polished and epoxy filled they look smoother and shiny compared to Indian marble.

After laying they are polished again and filled with epoxy. Some varieties have more cracks and fissures than others So go for stones which are relatively crack free.

Indian marble in contrast has better quality strength and harness if you are looking dor coloured marbles.
look for Katni biege or Banswsra (similar design to staturo in ) Chitorrgarh ( similar looks to Levant Red marble) or ashapura or Tendukheda. Most of these marbles from MP and Raj have better quality.

You won't find these stones in Bangalore as economics don't work out marble showroom needs lots of costly real estate and margin on Italian is more.Go to either Jigani or Shoolgiri you will find lots of shops selling them.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th April 2021 at 23:38.
amitk26 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 23:20   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

PM me best route
Don't have PM route as yet, being a newbie
Let me see if there is another way to reach you.

Meanwhile, I am going to work with what you have given!
Old 16th April 2021, 00:25   #1420
Senior - BHPian

I need to buy roof rain gutter see the picture below. Preferably in FRP or SS.
Where can I get these in Bangalore ?

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-images.jpeg
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 07:38   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This is one of the best 20x30 designs I could find online.
Very nice conceptual design. However, the video didnt give any layout diagram and hence not able to connect the video to where which room is.

From experience I will always suggest no to double height ceilings. THese are a pain in the wrong place. Cleaning, changing bulbs that are placed up on the ceiling are going to be a pain.
Old 16th April 2021, 08:20   #1422
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Stumbled upon this gold mine of a thread, thanks guys!

I own a small 20*30 site in south Bangalore and looking to construct a home for about 1200 square feet
I don't know about the legal/allowed FSI/FAR on the 20*30 sites, but it's the favourite of small time builders/contractors. Typically, these days the "well-built" homes on such sites go vertical with multiple/split levels inside the home, that way the typical boxy staircase/stairwell is also avoided. If it's a corner site, you won't have too many challenges with setbacks. Problem with this approach is that you get locked out on 3 sides leaving only the road facing side as the source for major ventilation.

Thinking long-term, one issue with these homes will be the need to climb stairs/steps at many places inside the home and as one ages it becomes difficult. Other problem is with maintaining such homes since certain spaces can be difficult to clean/change electrical fittings, etc

If it's an intermediate site, then probably your neighbors would have abuttted the buildings to their boundaries, kind of forcing you to go the same way. However, if possible do consider a design with all round setbacks since it will give you enough room to plan and simplify your plumbing and ventilation.

Last edited by NPV : 16th April 2021 at 08:21.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 08:32   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Very nice conceptual design. However, the video didnt give any layout diagram and hence not able to connect the video to where which room is.

From experience I will always suggest no to double height ceilings. THese are a pain in the wrong place. Cleaning, changing bulbs that are placed up on the ceiling are going to be a pain.
Agree on the practicality aspect of the double height ceilings, but in small houses bound on all three sides, there is no other way to bring in light and make the house look airy. I am planning to build a house in 30x40 plot and most of the modern house designs I scoped have at least one double height portion.
Old 16th April 2021, 09:26   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This is one of the best 20x30 designs I could find online.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=duf9ooCn7Ho
I am not sure if the video is completely authentic. Seems at the rear of the house is an empty plot. Also, the video seems to have been taken at dusk where the external lights seem to be shining in giving the illusion of sunlight. Neighbors have generously allowed their balconies to be accessed for light and ventilation. Comments have been turned off for the video, otherwise I'm sure plenty of people smarter than me would have pointed out the special effects used to make the house look magnificent.

The thing to remember about all the tiny house and container house articles and videos is that the houses all seem to be built in the middle of nowhere, and the inhabitants have plenty of free land all around with breathtaking scenery. If Ashwin associates have a real house like this somewhere in Bangalore, let's go take a look on gloomy, rainy day!
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 09:42   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I am not sure if the video is completely authentic. Seems at the rear of the house is an empty plot. Also, the video seems to have been taken at dusk where the external lights seem to be shining in giving the illusion of sunlight. Neighbors have generously allowed their balconies to be accessed for light and ventilation. Comments have been turned off for the video, otherwise I'm sure plenty of people smarter than me would have pointed out the special effects used to make the house look magnificent.

The thing to remember about all the tiny house and container house articles and videos is that the houses all seem to be built in the middle of nowhere, and the inhabitants have plenty of free land all around with breathtaking scenery. If Ashwin associates have a real house like this somewhere in Bangalore, let's go take a look on gloomy, rainy day!
Totally agree. The house looks too airy and sunny for such a small layout. But the house is real and not a simulation work.
Another one which I like. This is on 1100 sqft but have two sides open. All these houses have one thing in common, elaborate use of glass and double height areas.

Last edited by poloman : 16th April 2021 at 09:44.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks