Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:49   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

My cousin is looking for options to reduce heat inside his house. The house is currently an old one, with corrugated asbestos sheet roof. ( the ____/\_____/\___ shaped one). The row house complex is likely to be rebuilt in some time, and hence they dont want to renovate /re-do the roof completely.

While looking at options, I came across PUF sheets. Has anyone used PUF sheets in conjunction with this type of asbestos sheet ?

Any info, please share. TIA !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangy62 View Post
Hi any experiences with PUF board roofing? .
Rangy62 - any luck with your work on the roof ?
Old 3rd April 2021, 12:37   #1397
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My cousin is looking for options to reduce heat inside his house. The house is currently an old one, with corrugated asbestos sheet roof. ( the ____/\_____/\___ shaped one). The row house complex is likely to be rebuilt in some time, and hence they dont want to renovate /re-do the roof completely.

While looking at options, I came across PUF sheets. Has anyone used PUF sheets in conjunction with this type of asbestos sheet ?

Any info, please share. TIA !

Rangy62 - any luck with your work on the roof ?

Yes, I have got the roofing done. We used 50mm PUF sheet and have fitted solar panels to generate power. As the room is under last stage of work haven’t experienced living in it. But as such it’s quite cool underneath. Will have to see how it behaves in rain.
Old 3rd April 2021, 12:45   #1398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangy62 View Post
Yes, I have got the roofing done. We used 50mm PUF sheet ... As the room is under last stage of work haven’t experienced living in it. .
Can you share details and cost ? How does it look ? How is it fixed ?

I am looking if this sheet can be fixed without having to remove the existing sheets. Area would be about 450 sq ft across 3 rooms. (part of the house where the roof is lower)
Old 4th April 2021, 10:21   #1399
BHPian

Guys I live in a row house facing East West direction, with no shade nearby. As a result, the roof gets too hot throughout the day and it's making room temperature even higher. What could be options to reduce heat to some extent ? I've got waterproofing done on the roof last month. Is it ok to apply Dr. Fixit heat shield or such paints on the roof directly ?
Old 4th April 2021, 11:20   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
... with no shade nearby. As a result, the roof gets too hot throughout the day and it's making room temperature even higher.
You could try this, seems to be an ancient remedy. [And looks like someone copied the pic I posted right here on TBHP into the article below, but I cannot find the original photos of inverted pots on rooftops now - I suspect a conspiracy ]

http://mansi-shah.weebly.com/cool-ro...n-project.html
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20210404110439_firefox-lite.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20210404111558.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 12:34   #1401
BHPian

Is there a way to clean water pipes clogged with salt deposits without using any acid? The local plumbers use acids to flush the line but that's very dangerous and damages the pipes.
Old 4th April 2021, 18:46   #1402
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Can you share details and cost ? How does it look ? How is it fixed ?

I am looking if this sheet can be fixed without having to remove the existing sheets. Area would be about 450 sq ft across 3 rooms. (part of the house where the roof is lower)
Hello,
Sorry I don’t have the pics right now. I got an area of 1100 sqft done. It costed me around 5.75 lakes which included the MS structure, the sheets and gutter work. The structure was pillars and trusses across the roof. The sheets were then bolted on.
Old 4th April 2021, 21:15   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
the roof gets too hot throughout the day and it's making room temperature even higher. What could be options... ?
You could try cheap shade sails. I don't know if there are professional installers in India, but all you really need is a weak link (thin piece of string) to break and allow strain relief if there's too much wind. Seem to be available in a range of colors too! Once summer is over, you can just put them away.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20210404210416_firefox-lite.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-shadesail.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 09:16   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You could try cheap shade sails. I don't know if there are professional installers in India, but all you really need is a weak link (thin piece of string) to break and allow strain relief if there's too much wind. Seem to be available in a range of colors too! Once summer is over, you can just put them away.
Thanks, I'm also looking at this solution. Will be cheaper than paint and such. Neef to figure out the installation though. Will need to install metal/bamboo poles in corners to tie the shade.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 09:46   #1405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You could try cheap shade sails.
Thank you, @mvadg.
Quote:
Will need to install metal/bamboo poles in corners to tie the shade.
The situation you mentioned - row-houses facing east - is the same that my cousin has.

What I have suggested to him is: put a small pedestal using 3 layers of 4 bricks + cement at each corner, and a hook a the the center top of each pedestal. This shade can be fixed to these pedestals. The gap between the shade and the roof will then also provide space for air to flow through.
Such pedestals can be on the walls of your part of the row structure, and will get required support below while not affecting the roof with it's weight.

Last edited by condor : 5th April 2021 at 09:47.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:04   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, @mvadg.
The situation you mentioned - row-houses facing east - is the same that my cousin has.

What I have suggested to him is: put a small pedestal using 3 layers of 4 bricks + cement at each corner, and a hook a the the center top of each pedestal. This shade can be fixed to these pedestals. The gap between the shade and the roof will then also provide space for air to flow through.
Such pedestals can be on the walls of your part of the row structure, and will get required support below while not affecting the roof with it's weight.
Thank you so much for this tip This seems to be much more practical implementation. Will get this done ASAP and will share some pics as well
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 18:30   #1407
Team-BHP Support

I thought only Fenesta is the one ruling the roost, but on enquiring further, came to know, AIS makes & installs them too. As does Koemmerling, Prominance & Veka. I am sure there maybe others. Any difference between these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Also, any inputs on electrical equipment and fittings ( wiring / cables / switches)?
Any advise on electrical equipment's?
Old 13th April 2021, 17:11   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Are you in bangalore ? If yes can give you lots of contacts and gyan I have collected during course of my ongoing house construction
This seems quite a helpful post.
I'm in South Bangalore and would definitely need a lot of contacts and also information

How do I go about contacting you?
Old 13th April 2021, 20:37   #1409
BHPian

Stumbled upon this gold mine of a thread, thanks guys!

I own a small 20*30 site in south Bangalore and looking to construct a home for about 1200 square feet. Queries below:
  1. Is an F.S.I of upto 2x allowed legally per B.D.A limits?
  2. What steps do i need to ensure that construction provides for good ventilation, airiness and sun-light? Technically, what do i need to inform the architect to achieve above said objectives?
  3. Will the house be extremely congested, considering the site is a puny 595 Square Feet? I intend to have a covered car parking in the porch!
  4. Any recommendation of a good architect or structural engineer around South Benglauru side is highly appreciated.
Old 13th April 2021, 22:24   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Stumbled upon this gold mine of a thread, thanks guys!

I own a small 20*30 site in south Bangalore and looking to construct a home for about 1200 square feet. Queries below:
[*]Any recommendation of a good architect or structural engineer around South Benglauru side is highly appreciated.[/list]
This is one of the best 20x30 designs I could find online.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks