Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 14:07   #1306
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How to join a CPVC pipe with a GI pipe?
Using brass MTA or FTA as per requirement one side is threaded to be fitted in GI pipe and other side is slip on to be coupled with CPVC WITH Solvent glue.

The complexity here is to check if there is enough space to thread GI pipe so this will need bigger opening in wall. Also GI Pipe shouldn't be corroded and able to take thread
Old 8th December 2020, 14:18   #1307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Using brass MTA or FTA as per requirement one side is threaded to be fitted in GI pipe and other side is slip on to be coupled with CPVC WITH Solvent glue.

The complexity here is to check if there is enough space to thread GI pipe so this will need bigger opening in wall. Also GI Pipe shouldn't be corroded and able to take thread

Ok, but for this one needs to reach the nearest point where the pipe is joined to an elbow/collar/union. Maybe this needs to be done on both the sides of damaged section till a join is reached. Depending on where the pipe is damaged , worst case one may have to remove a lot of tiles/walls!
Old 8th December 2020, 15:07   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Ok, but for this one needs to reach the nearest point where the pipe is joined to an elbow/collar/union.
No plumbers have tool to put threads in GI pipe however as you said it needs removal of more tiles to create space.
This works best on exposed supply pipes. In our apartment all pipes were GI pipes as in 2003 people were not confident about CPVC and preferred GI.
Some of them havr corroded and corroded portions were replaced by CPVC Scheduled 80 pipes as and when required.
Old 12th January 2021, 18:12   #1309
BHPian

To the guru's in home construction out here in the forum, I would request you for your humble request and guidance as I am venturing into constructing an house in my part empty plot.

The full site is 30x50, some of it already has an house built on it where we are currently staying in, so be will be constructing a new building in the remaining space which should be in this dimension of 20x35, it's going to be G+1 which will be built for rent purposes.

I am fully responsible for this construction right from paaya stones to interiors and I am not very well aware of the price of all the materials which will be needed for the construction.

Any guidance, references, suggestions from people in Bangalore especially around Hebbal area will be a boon to me.
Old 12th January 2021, 18:39   #1310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With time GI pipes can corrode even if they are inside a wall.

For threading, some space will be required all around. We had one such pipe in a bathroom (work there currently in progress). The minimum space around the pipe is about 6 inches on two sides, and open on the other two - our plumber did thread it and attached a PVC joint to use a PVC pipe to replace the remaining part of the damaged pipe.

Note: this section of pipe was embedded inside a layer of bricks instead of concrete.
Old 12th January 2021, 19:37   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
No plumbers have tool to put threads in GI pipe
Every plumber has a tool to thread GI pipes. The tool has a circular adjustable head/dye to suit different pipe diameter(pipes are measured in diameter and not in circumference) and has two arms to leverage the circular motion. How do you think plumbers used to connect GI pipes when cpvc pipes were not in fashion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
To the guru's in home construction out here in the forum, I would request you for your humble request and guidance as I am venturing into constructing an house in my part empty plot.

The full site is 30x50, some of it already has an house built on it where we are currently staying in, so be will be constructing a new building in the remaining space which should be in this dimension of 20x35, it's going to be G+1 which will be built for rent purposes.

I am fully responsible for this construction right from paaya stones to interiors and I am not very well aware of the price of all the materials which will be needed for the construction.

Any guidance, references, suggestions from people in Bangalore especially around Hebbal area will be a boon to me.
Ask anything about construction except for prices as they depend and vary area wise. 20×35 sq.ft or sq.m?
Old 12th January 2021, 20:27   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post

Full contract OR labour contract? I'm assuming you prefer labour contract. Shortlist shops that supply civil construction materials (sand,steel, cement etc). Price varies depending on brand and other features like grade etc.

For interiors, a visit to any of the showrooms will give you a wide range of choice across huge price range. This actually shoots up your cost( both labour and materials)

Since you say it's for rental purpose, the cost might be around 1.8L/square. So 700 sqft would cost around 13L excluding compound, parapet walls, external staircase. Add 20-30% for these extra stuffs.
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 22:09   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Every plumber has a tool to thread GI pipes. The tool has a circular adjustable head/dye to suit different pipe diameter(pipes are measured in diameter and not in circumference) and has two arms to leverage the circular motion. How do you think plumbers used to connect GI pipes when cpvc pipes were not in fashion?
See full thread , i wrote same thing perhaps a comma after opening no was missed.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 10:32   #1314
BHPian

Guys,

I stay in a self-owned villa in Bangalore. I would need help with reliable and pocket friendly interior designer. My home has a huge balcony which we have converted in to a terrace garden sort of a thing. Currently the balcony looks very plain if I look at the overall exterior of my house. Since ground floor exterior is busy with huge French window, stone cladding on the wall, pergola roofs with glass fittings and is complimented with a mini-lawn landscape and a small garden.

I would like to have a kind of makeover for my first floor balcony with a kind of value add like party area/relaxation room keeping the terrace garden intact and at the same time giving me privacy without adding solid walls.

Area of my balcony is around 150 Square feet.
Old 16th February 2021, 21:52   #1315
Team-BHP Support

Guys, building a new house.

Thinking about adding a lift which should accommodate a wheelchair and an assistant. What brands are recommended? It would be a 2 storey house only (ground and first) with terrace on the 2nd floor and a room. Of course, don’t want to spend much but it would be a one time fitment. So, please suggest accordingly.

Second query is about AC for the living area. I can not install centralised AC. I am clueless about VRF & VRV units. Can a stand / tower AC help? I will stick with individual AC’s for rooms. There are total 5 bedrooms and one drawing room. Occupancy on at least 350 days would be only for 2 rooms.

How much of a difference is between the cost of weather proof and normal glass? Any information here would be of help.

Any other advice? Have attached the basic information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SHEEL (GROUND FLOOR)( DD3).pdf (388.3 KB, 158 views)
Old 17th February 2021, 06:58   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thinking about adding a lift which should accommodate a wheelchair and an assistant. What brands are recommended? It would be a 2 storey house only (ground and first) with terrace on the 2nd floor and a room. Of course, don’t want to spend much but it would be a one time fitment. So, please suggest accordingly.
If you want branded look at Schindler, Kone, even Johnson, but they really don't make residential specific elevators. A 4 passenger with 2 stops should cost about 10L. A local manufacturer will be about 6L

Elite Elevators are probably the only ones specializing in home elevators but are crazy expensive.

Quote:
Second query is about AC for the living area. I can not install centralised AC. I am clueless about VRF & VRV units. Can a stand / tower AC help? I will stick with individual AC’s for rooms. There are total 5 bedrooms and one drawing room. Occupancy on at least 350 days would be only for 2 rooms.
Since you seem to have an open plan house with a double height ceiling I would skip the living/dining and just stick with the bedrooms.

Daikin and Hitachi if premium. LG, Samsung, etc. if you want to go cheaper but get an inverter based if usage during the year is going to be high

Quote:
How much of a difference is between the cost of weather proof and normal glass? Any information here would be of help.
I assume you mean double glazing? Use on the West and South sides to reduce temp gain inside the house.

Look at creating a vent at the top of your staircase room (roof or side walls) to allow rising hot air to escape.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 08:44   #1317
Distinguished - BHPian

You need a lift that has a rectangular car than the usual square car that most lifts have. This will allow easy wheelchair access along with an attendant. I suggest you figure out the dimension approximately and then approach the lift manufacturer with your requirements.

All lift systems have a fixed cost and varying costs which depend on the number of floor the lift should service. On your terrace there is a small motor room needed.

Regarding cost, schindler teknik are the famous branded ones for home. They will cost around 10L for your ground and first floor requirement. There will be few lift companies who are local to your state and neighboring states. They are cheaper. Your Architect will be aware of these companies.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 08:56   #1318
BHPian

Hi,

Looking for pointers as to where we may procure vinyl wraps which can be used on wardrobe/ shutter laminates, in Bangalore.

Apparently our interior guy got laminate shades which were not to our taste nor as per our selection (a story for another day). Keep away from centuryply & their lookbooks is all I wish to say for the moment.

So working on a plan B to convert the shades to our liking. One bitten twice shy, hence would prefer an in-person/ in-store purchase to ensure we get want we see.

thanks.
Old 17th February 2021, 09:27   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Help please!

My neighbor is constructing new house and is filling his plot with soil so high (60 cm from the road level and ~ 80cm from our plot level). Issue is wall between our plots is constructed by me it is in my plot (not a common wall) and he is going use that as his boundary and filling his plot. We already have some water logging issue in our plot during rainy season and this will cause damage to the wall and may collapse (due to extra load on the wall from his side). We asked them to construct boundary wall adjacent to our wall before filling, but he does not want to do it. What can be done in this case?

We are thinking of complaining to the corporation

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th February 2021 at 09:46.
Old 17th February 2021, 11:49   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, building a new house.

Any other advice? Have attached the basic information.
1. Find out which manufacturer has the maximum number of lifts installed in your area, that will ensure that they have engineers and spares when needed. As such Schindler is quite popular in Delhi as they have extensive service infrastructure, but it may be different in your area. Lastly please ensure that the lift goes till terrace so that elderly can access it easily.

If you ever want to extend your house to another storey, now is the time to decide and raise the lift (at least the shaft and the machine room) to another floor. That will give you access to the terrace on the room on top floor - useful for servicing overhead water tanks.

2. For low occupancy individual AC's are more economic. LG, Daikin and Hitachi are good, but it all depends on after sales service. Do not be enamoured by 5* tag as for low usage the extra capital cost is not recovered.

I would suggest that you go for Inverter AC which do not require a stabiliser, as they are less prone to damage due to voltage fluctuation.

Lastly I would choose only those manufacturers who have a five years+ extended warranty that includes all electronics, gas and heat exchangers. That is the reason I went for LG, they give me peace of mind for 5 years, and their extended warranty includes two services a year.

3. Heat proofing can be done in two ways.

a) Use heat reflecting film on the glass.
b) Use two windows - double glazing. You will have two panes or three if you want mosquito netting.

Another thing that you can do is to insulate the terrace. That can be done by adding a 10cm layer of insulating material to the concrete and then laying the tiles. Do ensure that the concrete used has water proofing compunds, and further use extra waterproofing layers on the terrace.

Last edited by Aroy : 17th February 2021 at 11:52.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks