Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 14:31   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Very common if you've used the light dimmers as fan regulators. We have the Roma (by Panasonic) 5 speed regulators (modular 2 module control) and haven't had issues for over a decade.
I have used both types, dimmers and step types. Both have the same issue after some time. And this is across multiple homes, different fan brands and different regulator brands.

Could you please share your fan brand/model and the regulator brand/model numbers. Perhaps you found an ideal combination that actually works.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 14:42   #1232
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I have used both types, dimmers and step types. Both have the same issue after some time. And this is across multiple homes, different fan brands and different regulator brands.

Could you please share your fan brand/model and the regulator brand/model numbers. Perhaps you found an ideal combination that actually works.
I am also using Anchor Roma step regulators and never faced any issues. With passage of time, the fan capacitors get weak and you will see fan losing speed and making noises. The classic symptom of weak capacitor is fan not able to start in speed 1.
Old 8th October 2020, 15:07   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Any idea where I can source it from.
i believe you will find it in any electrical spares shop. I also think the regular capacitor cylindrical one will work for your fan.

Quote:
Could you please share your fan brand/model and the regulator brand/model numbers.
From my frequent failure experiences ive come to the conclusion that a lot of electrical supplies are fake. I try to find a store that sells genuine stuff for my purchases. The maximum issues i have are two way switches that keep breaking physically within a few months - these are supposedly Roma.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd October 2020 at 10:07. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote instead of consecutive posts. Thanks.
Old 8th October 2020, 16:04   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Try Cona. We have screw type single module fan regulators and they last for a couple of years atleast
Old 8th October 2020, 18:54   #1235
BHPian

Hi All,

We are making a few updates to our home to get it ready for 3 phase connection (adding more earthing points, a bigger DB box and a RCCB this time around).

I wanted to add a surge arrestor since I can see a few members recommending it. However, my local electrician tells me the thing costs atleast Rs. 9,000 (he didn't get it due to the price).

I can see that they cost around Rs.5,000 on Havells site (https://www.havells.com/en/consumer/...on-device.html).

I am trying to call up local dealers to see if they have this in stock but I am slightly confused about the terminology (or rather I am clueless about it).

What is the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 Surge protectors listed in the site? Also, how am i to understand the specs listed? The electrician will probably know all this but I am making sure of what i purchase since I don't want to end up getting a second surge arrestor after a few months.

For example, for this particular model
https://www.havells.com/en/consumer/...vices-(2).html

What do the following two things mean:

High Discharge Current
Imax 50 kA (L – N) 70 kA (N – E)

and

Better Protection
Voltage protection level 1.5 kV
Old 9th October 2020, 09:33   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
We have two Usha Fans purchased around 3years ago and post 2 years the fan speed has gone down considerably. On opening the fan motor cover i found out the fans are using a different type of capacitor. I am unable to source it and Usha wants a 1000Inr for visit and providing the part . Any idea where I can source it from.
They have just put 3 capacitors in one package.
Get an electrician to figure out which wires are for the starting capacitor and which are for running capacitor.

Then use two cylindrical capacitors - one for starting and one for running.

Alternatively you can visit the USHA showroom and get the part from them.
Old 9th October 2020, 10:49   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Hi All,

What do the following two things mean:

High Discharge Current
Imax 50 kA (L – N) 70 kA (N – E)

and

Better Protection
Voltage protection level 1.5 kV
SPD (Surge Protection Devices) are a must for all homes and offices. You can buy from Amazon too: https://www.amazon.in/FEEO-Four-Surg...220031&sr=8-13

Briefly what they do is if there is a surge owing to lightening (or a massive inductive load switching off ) which induces high voltage spikes into the mains supply lines, these SPDs will 'arrest' them. The duration of the surge may be short, but the damage it can cause is enormous to your electronics and electrical devices. In such a case, the SPD gives a short path to the surge.
In the case you showed it can sink upto 50000 A between Live and Neutral while it can sink 70000 A between Neutral and Earth. And the maximum voltage it can withstand is 1500,000 V.

Make sure that the SPD are mounted after the utility department's main fuses with thick gauge multiple strand wires. Make a proper earth and connect to the earth line. Don't count on the EB dept's earth line.
This SPD will provide the first line of defense. If you have a sensitive electronics gadgets ( LED TVs, Computers etc), get a MoV fixed to the socket. I have written about MoV here.So I will not repeat it here.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 10:56   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Friends - Any contact or leads at Bangalore for some good/reliable source who can help with a Bamboo Gazebo for a residential terrace ? My original idea was to create a gazebo and put the mangalore tiles for roofing, and then, changed the idea to make it more natural with lesser steel and the ideal of Bamboo came through.

It is a small terrace, and i am thinking i can make it useful by a small construction, pull some nice lighting and a fan or so inside. I anyways have a pipe/tap and can construct a small granite working kitchen table/sink. Idea is to make a one off evening enjoyable with some cooking and stuff at the terrace with the family.

Any leads will be appreciated.
Old 9th October 2020, 11:51   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
SPD (Surge Protection Devices) are a must for all homes and offices.
In the case you showed it can sink upto 50000 A between Live and Neutral while it can sink 70000 A between Neutral and Earth. And the maximum voltage it can withstand is 1500,000 V.

Make sure that the SPD are mounted after the utility department's main fuses with thick gauge multiple strand wires. Make a proper earth and connect to the earth line. Don't count on the EB dept's earth line.

This SPD will provide the first line of defense. If you have a sensitive electronics gadgets ( LED TVs, Computers etc), get a MoV fixed to the socket. I have written about MoV here.So I will not repeat it here.
Thank you sir. I basically came to know about SPD from your and a few other members posts here. My local electrician is trying to convince dad that it's not needed but I have asked for it to be added without fail.

I am looking at Havells SPD and have found a local dealer who can source the model we want in two days. I will need to get the electrician to get me the specs we need before placing an order.

We did have a decent earth connection before but we have just added two more earthing points just today morning (3m depth with the copper wire and some earthing compound that looked like charcoal not sure what it's called). So now we have three earthing points in the house.

Are the SPD meant to be added after the MCB and RCCB? There is a video I saw yesterday that shows something of this sort.

Also can you let me know the difference between the TYPE1 and TYPE2 SPD?

For the MOVs, I don't really have the experience to rig something like this up so I will get the Honeywell 6 socket surge protector and connect the future TV and Home theater system to that.

Last edited by JithinR : 9th October 2020 at 11:53.
Old 9th October 2020, 13:23   #1240
Senior - BHPian

In the UAE we pick up ready made bamboo Gazebos off the shelf and its quite easy to put together. In India, INVEZO sells this model (As per google search). See if it suits. There are many models
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Friends - Any contact or leads at Bangalore for some good/reliable source who can help with a Bamboo Gazebo for a residential terrace ? My original idea was to create a gazebo and put the mangalore tiles for roofing, and then, changed the idea to make it more natural with lesser steel and the ideal of Bamboo came through.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-httpswww.invezo.inproductpagegardengazebo345meteroffwhitecolor.png  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:10   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Thank you sir.
I am looking at Havells SPD and have found a local dealer who can source the model we want in two days. I will need to get the electrician to get me the specs we need before placing an order.

Are the SPD meant to be added after the MCB and RCCB? There is a video
Also can you let me know the difference between the TYPE1 and TYPE2 SPD?
Your electrician is not a qualified Engineer to prescribe the specifications of the SPD. His job is to install the device where it needs to be done. The model you showed will serve your needs. Here is the model:https://www.havells.com/en/consumer/...evice-(3).html
Get your electrician to install it right before your MCB banks. The SPDs are connected in parallel and so the exact position doesn't matter. It has to be after your utility (EB) meter. Normally the Electricity Board will install their fuses and a 3 phase meter in their side of the board. The customer side board will have a row of MCBs for different circuits.
Type I SPDs are meant to be installed between the service transformer and the load. Type II are designed to be connected permanently before the load at the load side after the fuse.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 15:11   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Your electrician is not a qualified Engineer to prescribe the specifications of the SPD. His job is to install the device where it needs to be done. The model you showed will serve your needs. Here is the model:https://www.havells.com/en/consumer/...evice-(3).html
Get your electrician to install it right before your MCB banks. The SPDs are connected in parallel and so the exact position doesn't matter. It has to be after your utility (EB) meter. Normally the Electricity Board will install their fuses and a 3 phase meter in their side of the board. The customer side board will have a row of MCBs for different circuits.
Type I SPDs are meant to be installed between the service transformer and the load. Type II are designed to be connected permanently before the load at the load side after the fuse.
So the connection will look like this? Correct me if i am wrong.

Electric Meter -> Fuse -> MCB -> Surge protector parallel to MCB -> Rest of the house circuit
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 15:26   #1243
Senior - BHPian

A query on paint vs wallpaper. Has anyone tried wallpaper in kitchen? I hear that due to dampness wallpaper might peel off. Any experience?
Old 10th October 2020, 12:58   #1244
BANNED

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-wood.jpg

Please look at this picture above.

I saw this cream (or is it white?) coloured powder all inside & outside my wooden bed. Any idea what this is? Is it termite, white ant, borer or something harmless? What can I do about it? How urgent is it? The bed is made from plywood.

This is in those parts of the plywood which aren't exposed (this is the openable box storage under the bed) so they aren't covered with the laminate.
Old 10th October 2020, 16:26   #1245
BHPian

Friends, I am planning to construct a residential building consisting of stilt + 4 floors on a plot of 460 sq yards in Hyderabad. Each floor is 2500 sft. The contractor is quoting Rs. 1500 per sft. which includes all except lift, wood work and electrical fittings. My queries

1. What is the prevailing cost of construction in Hyderabad

2. How is the total cost calculated, i.e
4 floors X 2500sft X Rs 1500 = Rs 1,50,00,000 or
5 slabs (including stilt) X 2500 sft X Rs 1500 =Rs 1,87,50,000
Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks