Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2020, 12:48   #1201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Thanks these are listed as 3.5 core cable . What is difference in 3.5 core and 4 core ?

Price of 4 core 35mm sq cable is is slightly less in local market compared to listed on this site.
Are you comparing the prices of Armored cable to that of normal cable. You need to buy Armored cables as they are designed to be installed underground instead of putting normal cables in PVC pipes.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 21:35   #1202
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Are you comparing the prices of Armored cable to that of normal cable. You need to buy Armored cables as they are designed to be installed underground instead of putting normal cables in PVC pipes.
Of-course I am looking at armored cable

https://vashielectricals.com/p/polyc...5px4cayfyxlpe/

measured exact quantity today will need 62 meters taking care of bends etc 65m should be sufficient.

The only confusion was that aluminum cable is 150 -180rs per meter and copper is 800 to 1000 rs per meter so was checking if there is any problem in using Aluminum armoured cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi,

Having had experience of my cables being eaten by "critters" underground like ants, termites etc. I would suggest you go for armoured cable inserted in "Alkadin" or PVC duct pipe and sealed at the open ends with M-Seal.
Yes. It is expensive but you won't regret it.

Cheers,
SS
That is helpful , is 2 inch grey PVC pipe used by plumbers sufficient ? Also was thinking of making small inspection chambers at the bends so that pull cable for maintenance will be easy in future.

What is 'alkadin' here ? Google tells its medicine for gout in humans.

I have used Imidacloprid 35%SC throughout for termite control treatment and can spray the same in conduit pipe.

Last edited by amitk26 : 12th September 2020 at 21:56.
Old 13th September 2020, 10:41   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

measured exact quantity today will need 62 meters taking care of bends etc 65m should be sufficient.

The only confusion was that aluminum cable is 150 -180rs per meter and copper is 800 to 1000 rs per meter so was checking if there is any problem in using Aluminum armoured cable.

That is helpful , is 2 inch grey PVC pipe used by plumbers sufficient ? Also was thinking of making small inspection chambers at the bends so that pull cable for maintenance will be easy in future.

What is 'alkadin' here ? Google tells its medicine for gout in humans.

I have used Imidacloprid 35%SC throughout for termite control treatment and can spray the same in conduit pipe.
No body uses copper cable for incoming mains supply. Apart from the cost, copper cables are heavier and are prone to theft. An armoured aluminum cable is what is used here. If you want peace of mind, then use suitable diameter GI water pipe. That will prevent inadvertent damage due to digging. To further safeguard the pipe, you can create a PCC lined trench and cover the pipe with a layer of bricks. It will be safer if the whole trench is at least 50cm below the surface.

Yes do make a rectangular inspection chamber at every bend. Normally we have a PCC chamber - at least 50cm x 50cm with a cast iron cover.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 11:32   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
No body uses copper cable for incoming mains supply. Apart from the cost, copper cables are heavier and are prone to theft. An armoured aluminum cable is what is used here. If you want peace of mind, then use suitable diameter GI water pipe. That will prevent inadvertent damage due to digging. To further safeguard the pipe, you can create a PCC lined trench and cover the pipe with a layer of bricks. It will be safer if the whole trench is at least 50cm below the surface.

Yes do make a rectangular inspection chamber at every bend. Normally we have a PCC chamber - at least 50cm x 50cm with a cast iron cover.
Agree. 200%. This is the way to go. Go for the GI pipe if your budget allows. "Fit it and Forget it" scenario. Well, almost. "Alkadin" conduit pipe is a hard plastic pipe which comes in a coil. Usually black in colour. Can be found in any electrical shop.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:45   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Any one has any feedback or opinions on 'Vitra' brand for bathroom fittings ?

I had never heard of this brand but when visited a bath store selling multiple brands and sales people place it above Jaquar in terms of premium and quality.

As per sales person in terms of quality Grohe > vitra > jaquar
Is this correct or he is trying to upsell some unknown brand ?
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:06   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any one has any feedback or opinions on 'Vitra' brand for bathroom fittings ?

I had never heard of this brand but when visited a bath store selling multiple brands and sales people place it above Jaquar in terms of premium and quality.

As per sales person in terms of quality Grohe > vitra > jaquar
Is this correct or he is trying to upsell some unknown brand ?
Never heard of it.

In my opinion for most of us Jaguar is the best option as
1. It is a wide selling brand
2. Spares are available online and in the stores
3. It is much cheaper than foreign premium brands
The construction of most of their range is excellent

One thing to note is that the high prices of most foreign brands have very little to do with quality. It is branding and snob value that they rely on. With the quality of water in India, all the Chrome Plating get dull with time, and if you use strong cleaners like Harpic they will be destroyed within five years. I have had at least five taps on wash basin corroding and break till I banned Harpic use near chrome plated fittings.

So instead of getting premium fittings,
. Get Jaguar and maintain it properly - wash and wipe the fitting after use.
. Do not use strong cleaners.
. For stubborn water stains use vinegar and elbow grease, else the plating will be destroyed.
. I prefer Single Lever taps to 1/4 turn taps as they are easier to use.
. While installing Single Lever Mixed for shower, please be aware that it is a concealed fitting and will require replacement after 10 to 15 years. That means breaking the tiles where it is located. The best option is to demarcate an area of 2' x 2' and have different colour/design tiles. When you replace the mixer then you have no problem matching the tiles.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:12   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. Get Jaguar and maintain it properly - wash and wipe the fitting after use.
. Do not use strong cleaners.
. For stubborn water stains use vinegar and elbow grease, else the plating will be destroyed.
+1
I have all Jaguar fittings in my bathroom since 5 years and we are very satisfied with it.
All products have 1 year replacement warranty and a 10 year maintenance /service warranty.
10 year means, if you have any problem with any Jaguar fitting, then you call the service center and they will attend free of cost. If any part has to be replaced, then it has to be paid by you and labour charges are free.

For cleaning the products and maintaining the shine I use the following product.
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20200923131320_chrome.jpg

https://www.amazon.in/JOFF-Tap-Showe...A%3D%3D&sr=8-3

In fact there are various such products like 3M available online and most of them are good. You don't need to use Harpick and all.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 23rd September 2020 at 13:14.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:50   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Thanks I am inclining towards Grohe for all concealed parts such as thermostatic 3 way diverter and stop cock as quality difference is quite visible

Other parts like rain showers , body jet, sprouts and hand showers which do not have any mechanical movements can go for any other good brand as price difference is huge.
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:32   #1209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No problem with them being Aluminum . In fact, the power lines on the poles are also of aluminum.

Just a tip- For these cables, there is a brand named "Universal". This is the best in business. There are lot of other brands. But this is the best. I would suggest you get this brand cable only.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 09:29   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some help!

I found some serious water seepage in the bathroom of our relatively new apartment. The construction was completed a little over 1.5 years and the walls and ceilings are already leaking.

Nevertheless, here is a bit of a background with pictures:

Last week, during a usual visit to my apartment (no we are not staying there yet) I observed that almost the entire ceiling of the common bathroom was wet. Initially, I assumed that there is probably a pipe leakage but once I got the overhead box (plywood box above the commode covering the pipes) dismantled, I observed visible seepage from the ceiling which essentially means that waste water from the above apartment’s bathroom is making its way into mine through their flooring. This was quite surprising given that the apartment is newly constructed.

Thereafter, as a preliminary check, me and my mason (who is currently painting the apartment) visited the apartment right above ours, and the present occupants kindly let us in to inspect their bathroom. Based on an initial assessment, my mason identified some irregularities in the flooring of the bathroom as he observed water clogging near the drain that is situated right below the basin. Apparently, the clogged water near the drain is seeping through the gaps/joints in between the tiles and slowly making its way down to my bathroom ceiling.

Now to help you understand the issue, I am attaching a few pictures. You will see the extent of seepage and probable damage it has caused or may cause in the future. As you can see, the water has spread to various parts of the wall.

I don’t have the technical details, but my experienced mason has suggested that, as a permanent solution, the seepage can only be stopped if it is fixed from the source – which is the bathroom in the apartment above ours, more specifically the tiles in the bathroom.

So, what are my options? I am not a technical guy so I have limited knowledge on how to fix this. The dont expect any financial participation from the apartment above so I may have to get the whole thing fixed myself.

Question 1: Can I fix the whole thing permanently just by fixing my ceiling. That way I dont have to deal with my neighbors?

Question 2: If at all I have to fix my neighbor's tiles as well, what will be the exact work?

Question 3: Any recommendations for waterproofing solutions that can help stop the water seepage permanently?

P.S: We have already written to the Builder but since they have handed over I doubt any support will be provided.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-picture-1.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-picture-2.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-picture-3.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-picture-4.jpg  

Last edited by Pancham : 26th September 2020 at 09:32.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 10:57   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I need some help!
Most likely a simple problem. The floor above has poor waterproofing in the bathrooms, toilets, kitchen, etc. You may have to persuade the owner of the flat above to get proper caulking done. Many people pour acid to clean the floor, which destroys the cement based sealing that is done by the tile laying maistri. For better seal, the cement has to be removed and replaced by a good silicone sealant (caulk) at the tile joints and the wall edges. Check if any tap is dripping in the floor above, while at it.
Also, since you have identified leaks in the wastewater pipe joints, same type of sealing will have to be done after fixing the leakage, around the commode, etc with appropriate waterproofing compounds (Dr Fixit brand has many different types)

There could be other problems, but the above is the most likely scenario.

Last edited by mvadg : 26th September 2020 at 11:02.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 10:58   #1212
BANNED

Builders typically make provision for 2 - 3 common expenses. Because a proper society would not have started functioning. They would still have some control. The onus of repair is squarely on the builder if it is poor construction. Or on floor above if it is caused by poor or improper usage.

Anyway, if builder does not budge, sue and prevent the floor above from using the bathrooms. Take out a commission for local inspection (ask a lawyer) before prior notice.

See if other apartments have similar problems.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:08   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Most likely a simple problem. The floor above has poor waterproofing in the bathrooms, toilets, kitchen, etc. You may have to persuade the owner of the flat above to get proper caulking done. Many people pour acid to clean the floor, which destroys the cement based sealing that is done by the tile laying maistri. For better seal, the cement has to be removed and replaced by a good silicone sealant (caulk) at the tile joints and the wall edges.
There could be other problems, but the above is the most likely scenario.
This essentially means I need to remove my neighbor's tiles right? Because whatever we do to the tile joints, there is no assurance that he will not use acid to clean his bathroom. That just aggravates my problems because replacing one tile could cause a tile matching issue which the other party (neighbor) might raise. So the problem is slight complex I feel. No? They were kind enough to let my mason inspect their bathroom but were no very receptive. So I am expecting some push back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Builders typically make provision for 2 - 3 common expenses. Because a proper society would not have started functioning. They would still have some control. The onus of repair is squarely on the builder if it is poor construction. Or on floor above if it is caused by poor or improper usage.

Anyway, if builder does not budge, sue and prevent the floor above from using the bathrooms. Take out a commission for local inspection (ask a lawyer) before prior notice.

See if other apartments have similar problems.
Builder has handed over to the new Association who have been operating for some time now; so I doubt there will be any response.

Last edited by Pancham : 26th September 2020 at 11:09.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:28   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
This essentially means I need to remove my neighbor's tiles right? .
In the worst case, yes. But the builder/association is responsible and will have to procure the tiles. Mostly tiles don't have to be removed, just scrape the cement from the joints properly and replace with silicone sealant. But in the case of wastewater pipe leakage, depending on the location of the leak tiles may need to be removed and replaced.
By the way, in such cases the neighbor cannot prevent repairs. The purchase agreement will stipulate that the association has the right to enter and make repairs - but better to handle it amicably. We had a similar problem, but owner of the flat above was very cooperative.

All the best, and please get it fixed ASAP, before it leads to other problems.
Old 26th September 2020, 11:36   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
In the worst case, yes. But the builder/association is responsible and will have to procure the tiles. Mostly tiles don't have to be removed, just scrape the cement from the joints properly and replace with silicone sealant. But in the case of wastewater pipe leakage, depending on the location of the leak tiles may need to be removed and replaced.
By the way, in such cases the neighbor cannot prevent repairs. The purchase agreement will stipulate that the association has the right to enter and make repairs - but better to handle it amicably. We had a similar problem, but owner of the flat above was very cooperative.

All the best, and please get it fixed ASAP, before it leads to other problems.
No we did not see any pipe leakage. It is the water getting clogged near the drain below the basin. That waste water is seeping into my ceiling. Also, the association has referred to the by-laws which says "Expenses to be borne by the party who is facing the problem".

I mean this can cause structural damage to the beams so it is in effect not my problem alone.

The Association is otherwise helpful so I need to first understand the extend of expenses and then pick a fight. If it is minor I will just get the work done myself.

Last edited by Pancham : 26th September 2020 at 11:38.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks