Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 12:24   #1051
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
If its a Europa lock as shown in the picture, you can call their customer support and they will send their local technician to fix it (I think free of cost depending on the number of years).
The Bangalore office of Europa sent a technician to fix it free of cost. He used a longer screw, which should hopefully stay for a long time
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 12:34   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Anyone here tried wind turbine ventilation fan in roof in residential building ?
I have wanted to use this for my house, if and when I build it. Planning in the next year or so. If you go forward with it, please do share your experience. I think it is designed to prevent rain from flowing in but don't think it can stop insects and maybe dust. Maybe we should use a mesh at the bottom to keep mosquitoes at bay.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 00:32   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I was trying to replace the hinges of my kitchen cupboard with soft close ones and screwed up. The holes I drilled are of larger diameter. What is the easiest way to fix this?
Watched some youtube videos for ideas and the easiest was to fill the holes with toothpicks and then fix the screws. I used some fevicol too along with the toothpicks and let it dry overnight. I managed to find some longer screws as well. With all these, attached back the hinges and everything seems to hold up pretty solidly.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:06   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanth View Post
Thanks a ton. So have they cut though the walls and installed the columns or have they added the columns outside of the house without cutting the walls?

Regarding the columns inside the house: Do they have any beams connected to them on the floors below? Or are they just used with tie beams on the new floors?

Regarding the plinth beam is it any good still adding it outside of the building alone to add some additional support?
1. Front and rear columns were added outside. Side columns were added by cutting walls as rge two sides have neighbouring walls.

2. Central columns were raised down the centre and i think that the floor slab was opened to raise the column and connect it to the floor slab.

3. Some beams were cast under the floor slab, as I mentioned.
Old 24th May 2020, 20:02   #1055
BHPian

Want to build a compound wall. The site has 4' deep foundation stone along its perimeter which my dad put ~25 yrs back.

Need to know if M-Sand should be purchased in cubic feet basis or per tonne basis? I'm being quoted higher for cft basis vs weight basis for seemingly similar quantities of material.

Intend to build compound wall & a very basic (but abit large) dwelling for planting a security guard within the site.

Would be great if anyone could recommend any website/forum where I can get detailed info about construction. Intend to study it as we may construct after a while.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 24th May 2020 at 20:20.
Old 24th May 2020, 20:44   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Want to build a compound wall. The site has 4' deep foundation stone along its perimeter which my dad put ~25 yrs back.

Need to know if M-Sand should be purchased in cubic feet basis or per tonne basis? I'm being quoted higher for cft basis vs weight basis for seemingly similar quantities of material.

Intend to build compound wall & a very basic (but abit large) dwelling for planting a security guard within the site.

Would be great if anyone could recommend any website/forum where I can get detailed info about construction. Intend to study it as we may construct after a while.
Usually when you buy those dumper truck kind of containers, they bring the weight receipt from one of the weighing bridges (before and after). Then you pay based on tonnage.

For construction, are you going to use a architect ? They will advise you on how to go about. You can have an architect who will give the structural drawings too and you can hire a contractor yourself. You can use them only for labour and buy materials by yourself. There are some combinations to use.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 21:37   #1057
BHPian

From the past one week, I have been seeing these larvae (about 0.5 - 1 centimetre) in my kitchen balcony. Initially I thought these must be larvae from the mango skin in dustbin kept in the balcony. I emptied the dustbin on daily basis and cleaned the balcony using soap keeping it spic and span. Even then these appeared and then I thought these must be coming from the crevice between door frame (wooden) and floor. Initially there used to be ants but this year these larvae have started appearing. For ants I dusted the insecticide - which used to die. As we clean the balcony using water daily, my assumption is the water must have entered the crevice resulting in wood rot. This must have resulted in the larvae. How do I get rid of these?

1. I want to inject Kerosene and see if they come out and later fill the crevice with white cement?

2. Is there any chemical (Phenyle?) which can make these larvae come out / kill them?

[Sorry if the image appears gross but was necessary for the question]

Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 884
Size:  450.5 KB
Old 27th May 2020, 09:08   #1058
BHPian

Water and drainage connection :
Hi all! I have constructed an individual house here in Trichy and the construction got over just about a month prior to the lockdown.
I had applied for electricity connection conversion from commercial to domestic and for water and drainage connections.
The electrical conversion was done a couple of weeks back.
The people from water and drainage came to inspect the site and announced that they cannot give connection as the road on which the house is located was relaid just prior to the lockdown!
What can I do to get the connections? Please help!
Old 27th May 2020, 10:15   #1059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Always buy on tonnage/weight.

If you are building a compound wall with concrete blocks with a height of 4 feet and perimeter of 140 feet(30x40), you would typically need around 10 tons of M-sand.

A 10 wheeler tipper usually holds around 32 tons fully loaded . If you intend to do further construction then it makes sense to get a full load.

In and around Bangalore Tavara M-Sand is of good quality. Suggest you go for a double wash M sand over single wash. You will get lesser impurities.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 23:13   #1060
BHPian

Any suggestions how I fix this? I was thinking I create a wooden frame to fit the tile cut and then screw the switch plate on that. Or should I use cement and create a frame?
I saw an ad somewhere for a vertical adjustable pillar that I could use to create a stud socket for the screws a few cm behind the tile cut and also saw an option for stud extenders so that the screw will reach that, but don't think the board will fit tight into these.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1590687597238.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1590687608379.jpg  

Old 28th May 2020, 23:23   #1061
Senior - BHPian

We took a slab of rich dark veneer wood and framed it. Looks classy
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Any suggestions how I fix this? I was thinking I create a wooden frame to fit the tile cut and then screw the switch plate on that. Or should I use cement and create a frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img_6018.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 23:26   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We took a slab of rich dark veneer wood and framed it. Looks classy
That looks good, thank you. I will need to conceal the screw holes on the tile behind the plate. Think I won't have much room to play with but it is an easier job that what I was considering.
Old 29th May 2020, 08:18   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I don't even mind if a small
If anyone has done such a thing, pls share, along with vendor details.
You might want to check these new vacuum type lifts, footprint is small and ideally should fit in a small space like 3ft x 3ft.

Please note I am not promoting any company here, just sharing information that might be useful to you.

https://nibavlifts.in/karnataka-home...IaAso4EALw_wcB
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 18:43   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Usually when you buy those dumper truck kind of containers, they bring the weight receipt from one of the weighing bridges (before and after). Then you pay based on tonnage.
Thanks!

Apologies for the late reply, I thought I had pressed the submit button, but I guess it didn't go through.

I got quotes of labour rates of about 25-30k per 10'x10' square by contractors. I have no idea how to negotiate with regards to payment schedule & work quality.

Haven't gone to any architect as I'm not sure what my dad may decide WRT construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Always buy on tonnage/weight...

A 10 wheeler tipper usually holds around 32 tons fully loaded . If you intend to do further construction then it makes sense to get a full load...

In and around Bangalore Tavara M-Sand is of good quality. Suggest you go for a double wash M sand over single wash. You will get lesser impurities.
Thanks. I have purchased based on weight & the 10 wheeler truck unloaded it.

The seller was pushing for "air washed", ie unwashed M-Sand! Luckily I didn't agree & insisted on washed M-Sand. After which he increased the price of the compressed Solid Blocks citing unavailability.

Even branded cement prices have been increased sharply (by 30%) citing unavailability due to lockdown. Next time I'm sure to atleast go through some construction material aggregator.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 19:11   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
I got quotes of labour rates of about 25-30k per 10'x10' square by contractors. I have no idea how to negotiate with regards to payment schedule & work quality.

The seller was pushing for "air washed", ie unwashed M-Sand! Luckily I didn't agree & insisted on washed M-Sand. After which he increased the price of the compressed Solid Blocks citing unavailability.

Even branded cement prices have been increased sharply (by 30%) citing unavailability due to lockdown. Next time I'm sure to atleast go through some construction material aggregator.
I read the post just now but my reply may be useful to you or fellow BHPians in future. Density of sand is nearly 1600 KG/Cum or 45 KG/Cft. So you may easily convert prices between weight or volume. Sand is washed to remove excess silt/clay from sand. Weight of silt shall not be more than 3% in sand as per standards.But the catch is that when you add water to sand its volume increases, the phenomenon is called as bulking of sand. So if you purchase the sand in volume terms then it will cost you more if the sand is wet.

Now the first part of your question-
Please use cement to sand ratio as 1:6 while doing brickwork and 1:4 while doing plaster. secondly, labour rates quoted seems to be at least 20-30 % higher to me as the work is to be done at ground level and there is nil cost for lifting & shifting.
RahuKetu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed