Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 12:15   #1186
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi all, we have recently built a semi living space in a nearby village. As we...
Sandwich panels made of aluminum PU foam and a third layer should work great. They've been used for emergency shelters successfully. Check them out. As for your kitchen runoff, make sure you don't overuse soaps and detergents.

https://sipsupply.com/emergency-shel...dvantages.html
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20200905121112.jpg  

Last edited by mvadg : 5th September 2020 at 12:20.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:03   #1187
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't find a PUF dealer/ supplier in my city. The nearest one is in Chandigarh and they are quoting Rs 1400 per sqm. For a 225 sq ft application, I think including transporting, installation and the iron pipes etc, it would end up costing about Rs 45K. In comparison the traditional roof would cost about Rs 33k @an estimated Rs 150 per sqft. Given this is a kitchen, I am inclined not to experiment and am thinking of going with a traditional roof only.
Old 5th September 2020, 20:16   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given this is a kitchen, I am inclined not to experiment and am thinking of going with a traditional roof only.
If you have long term plans for this space, go for traditional construction with proper planning. You will save effort and money in the long run in terms of upkeep and future upgrades. Moreover, tin roof kitchen might not give adequate protection from insects and other critters.
Old 8th September 2020, 14:22   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a question. Is it really possible to paint a 100-120 sqm room in 3 hours?

I think my "Painter" is duping me. Initially, he had said he completed 2 coats of the paint (Bed room no. 2) but I was somehow not satisfied with the quality/thickness of the paint. So he reassured me that he would put the 3rd coat today. By the time reached the apartment (around 1 pm) to check the work he had already completed the room (he claimed). Moreover, the walls were bone dry. What kind of magic paint is this?

I found this a bit hard to believe. This is for one of my bed rooms (not the master bedroom) so its a bit small though.

P.S: This is new apartment and this is the first time its getting painted if that helps.

Last edited by Pancham : 8th September 2020 at 14:24.
Old 8th September 2020, 15:06   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I have a question. Is it really possible to paint a 100-120 sqm room in 3 hours?
Going by the facts presented i see no reason to doubt the painter. 120 sqmeter is a small bedroom area and i am assuming you are referring only to the walls. Can be easily done in 3 hours. If you are not satisfied with the paint quality ask him to paint another coat. While i was getting my house painted the painter asked me not to count the number of coats. He mentioned they will go to even 6 or 7 coats till they are satisfied with the finish and output.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:22   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Going by the facts presented i see no reason to doubt the painter.

Great. But will it also dry so fast considering it's monsoon?
Old 8th September 2020, 19:09   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Try deck roof .. a GI decking sheet is placed and 2 inch concrete is placed over it. Deck sheet provides reinforcement and this kind of roof works on principle of filler slab.

Quote:
I couldn't find a PUF dealer/ supplier in my city. The nearest one is in Chandigarh and they are quoting Rs 1400 per sqm. For a 225 sq ft application, I think including transporting, installation and the iron pipes etc, it would end up costing about Rs 45K. In comparison the traditional roof would cost about Rs 33k @an estimated Rs 150 per sqft. Given this is a kitchen, I am inclined not to experiment and am thinking of going with a traditional roof only.
Old 8th September 2020, 19:38   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
.... a 100-120 sqm room .... This is for one of my bed rooms (not the master bedroom) so its a bit small though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
120 sqmeter is a small bedroom area ...

Man, you guys are RICH !

But supposing you are really only about as rich as I am, and the bed room size is actually only 120 sq. Feet, 3 hours should be sufficient for one coat, -- how many painters were there?
But to get bone dry in that time during monsoon?! You were not happy about the "double" coat, -- did it look non-uniform? A single coat on a new wall does look non-uniform. How does it look after the "third" coat? Any better? Also, at least 6 to 8 hours are supposed to be allowed between coats. How much time was allowed between the first "two" coats?

Last edited by meerkat : 8th September 2020 at 19:41.
meerkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:41   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Man, you guys are RICH !

But supposing you are really only about as rich as I am, and the bed room size is actually only 120 sq. Feet, 3 hours should be sufficient for one coat, -- how many painters were there?
But to get bone dry in that time during monsoon?! You were not happy about the "double" coat, -- did it look non-uniform? A single coat on a new wall does look non-uniform. How does it look after the "third" coat? Any better? Also, at least 6 to 8 hours are supposed to be allowed between coats. How much time was allowed between the first "two" coats?
Haha. Grave mistake. It is actually 120 sq ft.

There were 2 painters. I was not happy about the 2nd coat which was done on Saturday. The paint quality looked a little thin.

I was suspicious because I could not tell the difference between the 2nd and 3rd coat which he did today.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 21:34   #1195
BHPian

BESCOM is in the process of installing a large transformer alongside my dads vacant site-property. Problem is that the backside road itself is just 10ft wide, and then there is the narrow 2ft storm-water drain. This has made the transformer VERY close to the property and we DO NOT want it there. The neighbourhood is a thickly populated area and has many apartments (suspiciously NONE of them have a small transformer as I'm sure would be mandated).

Is there any way I can object to this ? I'm writing to the AEE against the installation, requesting installation be shifted to a safe location away from buildings, but is there any law / regulation / standard (BIS/IEEE), that I can cite to support my case?
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 13:35   #1196
Senior - BHPian

I need to bring underground electrical cable from distribution box which is little far approx 60 meters to my meter point.
So need to find type of cable to be laid. Should it be

A) 35 sq mm 4 core
B) 25 Sq mm 4 core

Also can it be aluminum or copper is a must. Though in general every aspect copper is better but 25 or 35 sq mm 4 ply copper is going to be very expensive. Also BESCOM cables and overhead wires are aluminum anyways. Shopkeepers also quoted polycab 4 core aluminum only for approx 200 rs meter

What should be the depth ? Is 1.5 feet below in PVC pipe casing good enough?
Old 12th September 2020, 11:32   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I need to bring underground electrical cable from distribution box which is little far approx 60 meters to my meter point.

A) 35 sq mm 4 core
B) 25 Sq mm 4 core

Also can it be aluminum or copper is a must. Though in general every aspect copper is better but 25 or 35 sq mm 4 ply copper is going to be very expensive. Also BESCOM cables and overhead wires are aluminum anyways. Shopkeepers also quoted polycab 4 core aluminum only for approx 200 rs meter

Thicker cable is preferable as it will be able to carry higher currents, which will be needed in future.

https://www.bestofelectricals.com/po...ed-power-cable

https://www.bestofelectricals.com/ke...ed-power-cable

Check the ratings. The price seems to be lower than the shop and minimum quantity of 20m is within your requirement.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 12:01   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Thanks these are listed as 3.5 core cable . What is difference in 3.5 core and 4 core ?

Price of 4 core 35mm sq cable is is slightly less in local market compared to listed on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Thicker cable is preferable as it will be able to carry higher currents, which will be needed in future.

https://www.bestofelectricals.com/ke...ed-power-cable

Check the ratings. The price seems to be lower than the shop and minimum quantity of 20m is within your requirement.
Old 12th September 2020, 12:34   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

A) 35 sq mm 4 core
B) 25 Sq mm 4 core

Hi,

Having had experience of my cables being eaten by "critters" underground like ants, termites etc. I would suggest you go for armoured cable inserted in "Alkadin" or PVC duct pipe and sealed at the open ends with M-Seal.
Yes. It is expensive but you won't regret it.

Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 12:47   #1200
BHPian

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

Hope you are enjoining this sunny day.

I am in discussions with contractors to finalize the scope of work for constructing a house. Most of them are quoting a rate of Rs. 200/sqFt for completing the civil work(getting the main structure ready).

I'm new to this hence would appreciate your help in understanding what all should fall into the scope of "civil work" or to put it another way, what should ideally be covered in the quoted per sqFt rate. I can then include these items in the formal contract and hopefully avoid getting short-changed.

Thanks in advance.
Have a great day ahead !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks