Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2020, 17:56   #1171
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Calling a carpenter and making top pane openable with mosquito netting would be cheapest option.

Double pane glass is going to cost lot more than tint I guess.
Also you may need modification in frame to accommodate it

One more option is to put either Venetian blinds or even good old bamboo chick curtain outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Called up a Garware distributor near my home town and got a quote of Rs.500/sqft along with a minimum order of 500sqft (Product: https://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/hhr-grey-80.html).

The guy actually asked to take a look at Ice Cool Grey (which is car suncontrol film) since it has almost the same specs and costs Rs.240/sqft (Product: https://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/ex...l-grey-70.html).

All these charges are inclusive of fitting. As such, with a window of around 46 sqft give or take this will easily go above Rs.10,000.

I am currently under quarantine after travelling to home town from Bengaluru and once this is done will need to see if getting these or new double pane glass (with heat resistant coating) makes more economical sense.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 13:42   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here has experience to share about heat pump based water heaters ?
Old 3rd September 2020, 00:10   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Anyone can provide opinion/suggestion on flush valve for toilet vs Cistern flush ?

I have 2 floors overhead tank will be at 10-12 feet height from rooftop (on staircase room). So on an average for first floor tap points the water head will be 10 + 5 = 15 feet meaning 15 x 0.443 = 6.5 PSI pressure.

Architect is suggesting flush valve in toilets instead of concealed cistern. And for this a flush line of 1.5 inch will run from OHT to toilets.

Plumber is against this and suggests cistern with 1 inch flush line and says 2 inch line is needed for flush valve. And cost saving for concealed cisterns will be same as 2 inch line + flush valves

Now i read up on net from foreign sites mostly and found atleast 20psi water pressure is needed for flush valve. However these sites also say normal water pressure should be min 40 to max 80 PSI in homes which looks impossible in Indian homes with 1 or 2 floors and water tank at 8-10 feet above roof.

So can anyone with practical experience suggest what will be a better option in terms of usability and maintenance.

Pressure pumps seems to be hot favorite of architects these days but
I don't want to add dependency on any pressure pump for flush line and if possible anywhere else as well.

Last edited by amitk26 : 3rd September 2020 at 00:12.
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:49   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Anyone can provide opinion/suggestion on flush valve for toilet vs Cistern flush ?

Go for cistern. Flush valves require a lot of pressure to operate properly. In contrast a cistern is independent of the line pressure. As long as it fills up it will work.

I am personally against concealed cisterns. They are difficult to repair and expensive to boot. All my friends who have a concealed cistern have faced trouble after 10 years or so. In contrast a normal cistern is modular and can be repaired easily by changing only the worn out parts. Remember the bathroom fittings are meant to last at least 25 to 50 years. My ground floor is 42 years old and the taps are still going strong. We did change the WC and cistern after 20 years just to get a more modern one. First floor is 20 years old and both the WC and cistern are still working, though they do require change of a few rubber parts every seven years or so.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th September 2020 at 21:24. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:38   #1175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Valve flush need 2 inch pipe if the water source is 10 feet above. You are good if you can draw a 1.5 inch pipe directly from the overhead tank to the cistern input.

Concealed flushes and valve flushes that are available these days are very reliable and easily repaired. For valve flush go for only Jaquar and for concealed flushes , Geberit is the best.

Even I am not in favor of pressure pumps.

Valve flushes are useful if your bathroom space is tight and the cistern is mounted on the wall. If going for valve flush, ensure that you provide a control valve at the over head tank output so that you can shut it off if you need to do any repair. Since it will be a 1.5 inch pipe, concealed stop cock won't be useful for this.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th September 2020 at 21:25. Reason: Typos + Trimmed quote.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:31   #1176
BANNED

My parents' house was built around 1984. One of the bathrooms had a flush valve. It worked from a 2 inch pipe from the terrace of the ground floor only house. Worked well, but tended to "drip" and in 10 years, it was replaced with a flush tank. Conceded tanks look cool, feel good but can be a headache or even a nightmare for repairs. Go for it only if there is nothing that can be ruined by dampness (like a cupboard) on the other side of the wall. Or on lower floors.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th September 2020 at 21:22. Reason: Typo
Old 4th September 2020, 16:43   #1177
Team-BHP Support

Which floor tiles are adviced in the bathroom? The primary requirement is that they have to be absolutely non slippery since this is my parents bathroom.
Old 4th September 2020, 16:53   #1178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Which floor tiles are adviced in the bathroom? The primary requirement is that they have to be absolutely non slippery since this is my parents bathroom.
Kajaria has a range of Skid resistant tile . You may check that.

I would add that, no tile is 100% skid proof. It also depends on how frequently you clean the tiles with brush and harpic. If no cleaned for more than a week then even the so called skid resistant tiles will start showing slips
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 17:01   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
I would advise installing hand rails in the shower/bathing area as well. I have used tiles which have stone texture popping out from the tiles and they provide some sort of relief in terms of grip but will be installing a hand rail in the shower as well.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 17:42   #1180
BANNED

I have seen "smoke / matt finish natural granite. Difficulty in bathrooms is when soap gets under your feet when you lift them for some reason. Cudappah Too is a good choice. Again, not smooth polished smooth, but matt finish. There is a special kind of finish suitable for bathrooms.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 18:28   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
You can look at Lapato finished granite. It essentially removes the polished glaze but still keeps the surface from absorbing water.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 18:34   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone can provide opinion/suggestion on flush valve for toilet vs Cistern flush?

So can anyone with practical experience suggest what will be a better option in terms of usability and maintenance.
As Aroy has suggested the best bet would be to stick to a regular commode with a built in cistern. It has the least hassles, the least maintenance, and easy to fix if something goes wrong.
Old 4th September 2020, 19:23   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, we have recently built a semi living space in a nearby village. As we grow more fond of it, we need to build a full fledged kitchen. I don't want to build anything fancy, yet a strong structure in a cost effective manner. Since roofing is a major cost head, do you recommend building a kitchen which has a roof made of asbestos sheets? Are there any other roofing solutions that you can recommend? Also this is a one acre farm where I also grow food. Is there any way that I can reuse the water discharged from the kitchen?
Old 4th September 2020, 19:42   #1184
BANNED

Using Aluminium Sheets will keep heat out. Using powder coated sheets will add ₹ 10 or 20 per sq meter. I doubt if asbestos is available at all. All sheets, whether Galvanised iron or Al, tend to develop leaks at holes made to hold them in place. Using proper gaskets will help here.

GI transmits heat from sun, so I am dead against it.

Both have a life of around of 15 - 20 years depending on thickness and quantum of rain and pollution levels. Both will be noisy during rains too.

Regarding use of waste water - best option would be to dig a soakpit and allow water to soak through into soil. Or direct water to some tree using hoses. For crops, diluting the water may be needed. If going for this option, try to reduce use chemical based cleaning for utensils.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th September 2020 at 21:20. Reason: Typo.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 06:51   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi all, we have recently built a semi living space in a nearby village. As we grow more fond of it, we need to build a full fledged kitchen. I don't want to build anything fancy, yet a strong structure in a cost effective manner. Since roofing is a major cost head, do you recommend building a kitchen which has a roof made of asbestos sheets? Are there any other roofing solutions that you can recommend? Also this is a one acre farm where I also grow food. Is there any way that I can reuse the water discharged from the kitchen?
It's going to be really uncomfortable cooking under a metal/tin sheet roof in summer and will be noisy as hell in the rainy season. Consider using PUF insulated panels from Sintex.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks