Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 21:46   #1591
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Guys!
- As the house faces west, am thinking of having the 5 windows on the front to be polished with MRF exterior PU. Does the rain/sunshine make the MRF exterior PU deteriorate faster?
- Also, the advise is about MRF exterior PU for doors which is exposed to the elements.

Please advise!
Any exterior polish on wood will be affected by the elements and would have to be repeated from time to time, exterior PU is a suitable solution.
Old 30th August 2021, 22:59   #1592
BHPian

Anyone have experience with resin table tops for dining tables, was checking out on the web, these table tops looks spectacular with glossy designs.

Came across this website - https://diyalightingstudio.com/produ.../resin-tables/

- Is resin table tops worth the price? It costs 60+ for a 5ft table.

- Is it maintenance free? Can it be used for indian using conditions?

Welcome for any suggestions, information on these and also any place where I can check it out in Bangalore?

Thanks for the info in advance.

KK
Old 31st August 2021, 02:49   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Anyone have experience with resin table tops for dining tables, was checking out on the web, these table tops looks spectacular with glossy designs.

Came across this website - https://diyalightingstudio.com/produ.../resin-tables/

Welcome for any suggestions, information on these and also any place where I can check it out in Bangalore?

Thanks for the info in advance.

KK
None of the pics on the website you've linked to are from India. I would be wary of this seller.
v1p3r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 09:58   #1594
Distinguished - BHPian

So I need to install mosquito mesh window frames in my place. I already have the channels that exist along with the glass portion. Just the mesh + frame that goes in there.

What is your suggestion in terms of quality and price? Something long lasting? I know nothing about this and google throws up vague results as usual.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:40   #1595
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

KK
Have explored this in the past and had a neighbour who had it. The neighbours house was always well maintained with help, so was the table.

There are lots of small reasons why I didn't opt for this (including the lack of ability of the seller to replicate the design I wanted perfectly for my size) but the biggest reason for me was (and a car analogy works best), it is equivalent to the extra chrome being used in cars these days - too loud, too garish, screams in the garage/road/ room, and after some time, it looks like a dated design over simple classic lines of a Polo. Maybe if I had a larger house, really large, something like this might, and only might have been considered.

Do let us know if you go ahead with this, we would like to learn more about this option
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 12:42   #1596
BHPian

Will matt tiles suffice for bathroom and balcony to prevent slipping. Could see many anti-slip tiles from Somany, Kajaria and other brands. Are they worth it or should I look at any other options for bathroom floor tiles/flooring?

There are some good designer tiles/ Moroccan tiles available in the market. Do the designs in these tiles last for years or they fade away gradually over time?

Which is the best vitrified tiles for flooring for the house from quality, glossy look, longevity and thickness point of view. Is the quality same across Kajaria, Somany and other brands? Looking for light cream or light khaki shade. I am looking at changing the tiles for a 1450 Sq. Feet house and assuming it has a carpet area of 1100 approximately and reducing the bathroom space results in a carpet area of 1000 Sq. Feet for actual floor tiling. I googled for more information and could see that the below costs will be incurred for relaying new tiles:
-> Demolishing Charges
-> Tile Cost
-> Skirting (10-12%)
-> Wastage (10%)
-> Sand/Cement/Adhesive Charges
-> Labor Cost per Sq. Foot
-> Cost of Grouting Materials

All the above works out to a cost of about 1.8 lakhs but the quote I received was for 2.5 lakhs. Any pointers if this is too high or what could be the costs approximately.

See many ads for wall paints from which we can wipe out stains and crayon marks. Do these really work out. I have a 3 year old who is still not past scribbling on the walls. Which is the best paint in this case from which crayons mark/stains or pencil marks be easily wiped out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Yes you will get granite slabs in grey and khaki (close colours) You can go to any dealers on Bannerghatta Road, Jigani, Sarjapur road etc. I have bought previously from HMG Lalbagh Road as their service and quality of stone i found superior in terms of lesser defects in the slab. Please do inspect slab thoroughly in proper light.

Tiles you can visit the company showrooms of Kajaria, Somany, Johnson etc and select the pattern you want. there are also major dealers in all areas of Bangalore for tiles.
Thanks! Could see a Granite slab shade in mocha shade in their website. Will go check this in person. Will start checking for tiles dealers and checking for design. Thanks for the pointers.

Last edited by whencut86 : 31st August 2021 at 12:45. Reason: correction
Old 31st August 2021, 18:07   #1597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
None of the pics on the website you've linked to are from India. I would be wary of this seller.
I think there are Indian companies that do this, and an Indian company that supplies the raw materials. I used to see their "sponsored posts" on instagram.

I have no idea of the hardness. Maybe a seller could give you a small sample piece large enough to stab with a fork, throw steel vessels at, etc. Lots of tough things are made out of resin, but are they scratchable.

Such a thing would be a unique piece of art, and if you loved it, you'd probably love it a lot! I have strong doubts about exposing that to normal family rough and tumble. But wait, I guess it would be no softer than the polish on a solid wood table.

I think that, if you found the right artist, it would be a beautiful thing to own.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 21:15   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Will matt tiles suffice for bathroom and balcony to prevent slipping. Could see many anti-slip tiles from Somany, Kajaria and other brands. Are they worth it or should I look at any other options for bathroom floor tiles/flooring?

There are some good designer tiles/ Moroccan tiles available in the market. Do the designs in these tiles last for years or they fade away gradually over time?

All the above works out to a cost of about 1.8 lakhs but the quote I received was for 2.5 lakhs. Any pointers if this is too high or what could be the costs approximately.

See many ads for wall paints from which we can wipe out stains and crayon marks. Do these really work out. I have a 3 year old who is still not past scribbling on the walls. Which is the best paint in this case from which crayons mark/stains or pencil marks be easily wiped out?

Somany and Kajaria are two of the best in design and overall quality. There are some even local tiles which are as good or even better. However do check the rates once.

When selecting and buying tiles if you want proper longevity, best is to go with a brand as the quality is assured against fading etc

The cost seems high for just removing and laying tiles. Also do ensure that you are removing the old tiles/mosaic etc and do a proper foundation work before laying fresh ones. This will help to ensure longer life, even application and safety from cracks etc. If layed over old tiles, sometimes there will be air pockets and if any object falls on that spot, the tile will shatter due to impact.

Most premium paints are washable nowadays and does help in cleaning. If you do have any stains that are stubborn, keep a small quantity with a roller and sandpaper home. If stain doesn’t go with cleaning, use a sandpaper, lightly sand it down and reapply a coat with a roller ! It is really quite easy and simple to do it
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 21:35   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Which is the best vitrified tiles for flooring for the house from quality, glossy look, longevity and thickness point of view. Is the quality same across Kajaria, Somany and other brands?
My FIL is constructing a home for which we went through options from Somany, Kajaria, and few other brands but for some reason never liked any. Finally went with Murdeshwara Ceramics (sold under the brand name Naveen Ceramics & Vitrified tiles).

This is the same brand which we had used at our home constructed around 17 years back and it still retains the gloss and has not faded.

Visit their shop and take a look if you have the time.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:27   #1600
One
BHPian

Quote:
Matt tiles are better than glossy but will not prevent slipping, especially if there are older folks in the house. I have irregular top surface tiles in the bathroom which are better than plain Matt but even they can get slippery if there is semi-moist soap water with a lot of soap in it. So yes, worth it but not 100% slip free.

Quote:
There are a lot of these tiles called Moroccan/ Spanish etc. Their quality and finish is genuinely better. I have used a mix of these in bathrooms and kitchen. These are priced significantly higher but there is a secret with all these tile guy shops- go with an interior decorator/ architect (even if you are not taking their services) and the rates you get are as low as 30-50% of the originally quoted price.

Quote:
Which is the best vitrified tiles for flooring for the house from quality, glossy look, longevity and thickness point of view. Is the quality same across Kajaria, Somany and other brands? Looking for light cream or light khaki shade.
The known branded tiles do have an advantage over lesser known tiles even though all of them are made at the same places. To give you an example, RAK tiles had lesser bends and were more robust than Somany and Nitco, Kajaria was pretty decent too. Sometimes a lesser known brand might be equal but it is about getting lucky- for plain cream/khakhi type glossy shades in double vitrified tiles it is easier to not go wrong with lesser known brands but I am not confident about the bends of these companies.

Instead of glossy, there is another finish called Satin finish, have a look and you might like it over glossy. The advantage is they reflect less tubelight and look classy. I have reached a stage where I prefer satin and Matt finishes over glossy in the house, they change the entire feel as they alongwith walls are the largest surface areas.

Quote:
Most water based paints will allow this. Sometimes if certain sketch pen colours are left for too long , they kind of get absorbed. On a separate but related note, we had crayons/ sketch pen marks within the first month but i realised walls can be painted again, but the kids will probably get such a large canvas only once. Our living room has these marks but totally fine with it, they will get painted over eventually. My take is, we live in our house and it doesn't need to look like a hotel. The kids had a free run on the entire flooring, all wardrobes with laminates so later on, they didn't scribble on the walls.

Do let us know what you eventually decide and your experiences
One is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 03:23   #1601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
... Most premium paints are washable nowadays and does help in cleaning. If you do have any stains that are stubborn, keep a small quantity with a roller and sandpaper home. If stain doesn’t go with cleaning, use a sandpaper, lightly sand it down and reapply a coat with a roller ! It is really quite easy and simple to do it
I come from a place where only the rich can afford paid decorators and painters. We just have to do our own.

It's been a while, living here where I can afford to pay people, but straining the brain cells...

1. Rollers. Rollers are good at covering area fast. They tend to spatter, so need more covering up and cleaning up. They give a slightly mottled physical finish. They are tedious and difficult to clean, and can only pick up the paint from a tray, which also has to be cleaned. I don't like using rollers at all. Brushes, on the other hand, can be dipped in any can or small jar, give, with a little practice, a much better finish, and are much easier to wash out afterwards. Want to cover a big wall with a brush? Use a big brush!

2. Sanding. Gloss paint, ie the shiny stuff on wood, needs to be sanded before painting and between coats. Emulsion paints, ie the stuff you find on walls does not: it just needs to be cleaned. If you sand paint, you need to wash that dust off, anyway.

3. Dilution. Read the instructions! I've seen so-called pros dilute water-based emulsion paint with white spirit. Somehow, it seemed to work out, but it stinks and is wrong. Read the can: don't dilute at all unless instructed.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:26   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Need a help!

How to clean red soil stains from concrete lawn tiles? Please see the attached image, This red stains on tiles is where there is a roof over the tiles. Total area with red stains is ~ 350 sqft
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1630474891585.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st September 2021 at 11:28.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:47   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Hi, we are using the car pressure washer. For stubborn stains, Ariel powder/liquid, plus hard brush - works fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
How to clean red soil stains from concrete lawn tiles? Please see the attached image, This red stains on tiles is where there is a roof over the tiles. Total area with red stains is ~ 350 sqft
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 16:00   #1604
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What is your suggestion in terms of quality and price? Something long lasting? I know nothing about this and google throws up vague results as usual.
See if you can get stainless steel type mesh fixed in the channels/frames provided, these are robust and long lasting compared with the pvc/fibre ones.

Something like this

Last edited by NPV : 1st September 2021 at 16:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 16:04   #1605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
See if you can get stainless steel type mesh fixed in the channels/frames provided, these are robust and long lasting compared with the pvc/fibre ones.

Something like this
Thanks, I have also reached out to Phifer - they seem to be the top guys in this field. Will try and visit their showroom to see samples as well.

https://phifermosquitoscreens.com

Also looking at something called Balcozy screens for the utility and balconies.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks