Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 16:24   #1651
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
In my experience,Cera has the best range and wider availability with dealers and better service
And 10 years Free Service Warranty.
Old 20th September 2021, 20:24   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Hello Team,

If you guys have any suggestions, inputs, on any aspect on taking up such project, are welcome. I don't have any experience in this area as such, except for past few years I've been travelling around such places where I get to see and discuss in details about such structures. Thanks in advance.
What you are searching for is a niche area among architecture. Please do visit and see sites which have already been completed and get feedback from the owners before you finalise.

Please do a search for Geeli mitti in Nainital. They have courses in sustainable building using natural techniques and materials. You may want to enquire with them on a short course near Nainital where you could also get your hands dirty with such process. Will help to give you a better understanding on your project. Your vision for a home will require you to get in depth into the subject for better results. From what i heard, they are quite reasonable in the charges too.

ALl the best !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:51   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
What you are searching for is a niche area among architecture. Please do visit and see sites which have already been completed and get feedback from the owners before you finalise.
ALl the best !
Thank you. I've watched a few videos by geeli mitti, that's something I really like, I've watched and read about thannal homes as well, they're doing similar, I've a plan to attend some workshop with them, they're in South India itself so should be convenient for us. However, I'm planning to keep that for a farm hut/house in future or may be a meditation hut that I'd like to build myself in the compound once main construction is over.
Thanks for your inputs. I agree, I'll need to be engaged in the process in depth to get some decent outcome.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 01:37   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Try :

Sathya Consultants

#166, Kathriguppe Water Tank Road 4th Cross, 4th Block, 3rd Phase, Banashankari 3rd Stage, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560085
080 2679 4220 https://g.co/kgs/GJZHmg
+1 to this. My house was also architected by Sathya. It was 10 yrs ago and we love the house the way it is!!!
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 01:48   #1655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Try :

Sathya Consultants

#166, Kathriguppe Water Tank Road 4th Cross, 4th Block, 3rd Phase, Banashankari 3rd Stage, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560085
080 2679 4220 https://g.co/kgs/GJZHmg
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
+1 to this. My house was also architected by Sathya. It was 10 yrs ago and we love the house the way it is!!!
OMG this is exactly what I was looking for. Who does the construction?

I have a small plot in Doddabalapur and wanted some eco styles small house / cottage built for weekends with open space and very simple construction.

The construction is what worries me the most.

Quote:
Thank you. I've watched a few videos by geeli mitti, that's something I really like, I've watched and read about thannal homes as well, they're doing similar, I've a plan to attend some workshop with them, they're in South India itself so should be convenient for us. However, I'm planning to keep that for a farm hut/house in future or may be a meditation hut that I'd like to build myself in the compound once main construction is over.
Thanks for your inputs. I agree, I'll need to be engaged in the process in depth to get some decent outcome.
https://www.thebetterindia.com/18400...ra-mane-india/

Do check Bhoomi out as well.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/minim...66MKyrhQ%3D%3D

https://bhoomicollege.org/

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st September 2021 at 01:54.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:20   #1656
BHPian

What is group's opinion on artificial granute. Longevity and durability wise. Any first hand experience?
Old 21st September 2021, 20:43   #1657
BHPian

Re: Apex Ultima Protek Base Coat OR Trucare Exterior Wall Primer?

Guys!
I am planning repaint of our 10 year old house in B'lore and would like to know whether we have to opt for 'Trucare Exterior' Wall Primer(1 Coat) OR 'Apex Ultima Protek' Base Coat(2 Coats) for wall preparation? The top coat will be 'Apex Ultima Protek'(2 Coats).

Some say a single coat of primer will do and others a single undiluted coat of base coat. What are the pros and cons of either option?

Please advise!
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-ultima-protek.jpg  

Last edited by JMaruru : 21st September 2021 at 21:06.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 04:28   #1658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Some say a single coat of primer will do and others a single undiluted coat of base coat. What are the pros and cons of either option?
Follow the instructions for your chosen top coat.

Primer may or may not be needed: by definition it is for the bare surface.

Please make sure all coats of paint are full coats. I'm fed up with hearing, "only first coat,sir!" when I point out the brush marks through which I can see the surface. A coat isn't a coat unless it is complete.
Old 22nd September 2021, 07:14   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Follow the instructions for your chosen top coat.
Primer may or may not be needed: by definition it is for the bare surface.
This doesn't answer my question like what to choose for wall preparation in the context of repaint, like is it 'Ultima Protek Base Coat' OR 'Trucare Exterior Wall Primer'? The 'step 01' in the attached picture captures my query.

The top coat any which ways will be 'Apex Ultima Protek'.
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:56   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have always wondered if the so called eco friendly homes are really that eco friendly. For example using which bricks is more beneficial for nature.. Fly ash bricks or red bricks? I would say fly ash brick, since you are not digging in to already depleted clay sources of nature. Same with natural stones, wood, bamboo etc. So the ecofriendly homes in current forms always remain an elitist concept.
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:07   #1661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys!
I am planning repaint of our 10 year old house in B'lore and would like to know whether we have to opt for 'Trucare Exterior' Wall Primer(1 Coat) OR 'Apex Ultima Protek' Base Coat(2 Coats) for wall preparation? The top coat will be 'Apex Ultima Protek'(2 Coats).

Please advise!
One coat of primer is sufficient if you are using Ultima Protek. And two coats of top coat is needed. The Ultima protek top coat works well only with the Protek primer. Do not skimp on this whatever others say.

Also, Wash the exterior walls with water where the rain water does not hit. These will be covered in dust and needs to be washed off before primer is applied for best bonding. Tell your painter to take a lumpsum amount for one day of water washing the exterior. 99% of painters just apply paint/primer without cleaning the surface. You need to buy a long enough pipe to cover all the walls that have to be washed. With this extra step the results will be long lasting.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:49   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Guys!

Please advise!
I recently finished painting my newly built house with Ultima Protek, I used Damp Proof Advanced (1 coat) as the exterior primer and 2 coats top coat with Ultima Protek.
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:15   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
OMG this is exactly what I was looking for. Who does the construction?
https://www.thebetterindia.com/18400...ra-mane-india/

Do check Bhoomi out as well.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/minim...66MKyrhQ%3D%3D

https://bhoomicollege.org/
Thank you for the pointers. My son studied with Prakriya GreenWisdom school, the founders are same as Bhoomi (Seetha ma'am). I knew only little about what they are into, but still it looks like they may not be in home construction. Please let me know if you know someone from Bhoomi who's into construction/design.

Reva Mallik (mentioned in that linked-in, was teaching in the same school I mentioned, not sure if she's still there with the school, but she seems to be involved in many other projects, with bhoomi itself. However, their lifestyle is inspiring, the way they have built their home and their lifestyle must be inspiring many around, they are on Sarjapur Rd area, guess somewhere close where I live. It'd be worth visiting them once to get some inputs for my project. I have known about this couple doing workshop on sustainable living at Tamarind Valley Collective.

There are 4-5 other architect design firms that I have met with in the last couple of years. Read about a few more. A couple of them seem to have interesting projects as well. However, I'm inclined towards this team from Auroville, I feel they may have done the rammed earth / CSEB more than others have done around here in Bangalore (Biome can be one, but their attitude and cost is something I'm not comfortable with).

I shall list some of them here in case anyone wants to give them a try.

- BayHauz Studio (currently working with them, based out of Auroville, he's associated with Dharmesh Jadeja, Dustudio, popular architect from Auroville, liked his philosophy)

- Tropic Responses (worked some good projects and decent cost)
- Build A Home (easy on cost, unsure about their workmanship, finishing of rammed earth/CSEB etc)
- Biome-Solutions (higher cost and attitude)
- Mistrys Architects (very costly, not so great finished projects on sustainable homes)

There are many other in and around India, I can list some ideas here.

- EarthShip (https://www.earthshipglobal.com/) a famous one at that, they have some projects in India as well
- Thannal Homes (https://thannal.com/) - This divine, I wish to do something if I get a farmland in future, they have good footprint in Southern part
- Geeli Mitti (https://geelimitti.in/) - something very similar to Thannal, they have good footprint in the northern part I guess
- Studio Alaya (https://www.facebook.com/StudioAlaya/) - one of the friends was part of this some years ago, they are into eco-friendly, sustainable construction
- Centre for Vernacular Architecture Trust (https://www.vernarch.com/index.php)

There are many in India, need to figure out what exactly one wants and who can best help with that.
https://www.ecoideaz.com/showcase/to...tects-in-india

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I have always wondered if the so called eco friendly homes are really that eco friendly. For example using which bricks is more beneficial for nature.. Fly ash bricks or red bricks? I would say fly ash brick, since you are not digging in to already depleted clay sources of nature. Same with natural stones, wood, bamboo etc. So the ecofriendly homes in current forms always remain an elitist concept.
I have not heard much about those bricks, anything that you have to burn would require a lots of energy, moreover, the burnt soil is gone out of the planet, will never be of any use again.
I read fly ash bricks can reduce cement consumption by 50%. However, my idea is not to use cement or may be just 6-7% of it (it can be 0% as well with appropriate lime usage in the mix, we have such structures around for many years). Rammed earth, it'll literally be a breathing wall, can be built isolated with a gap in between, would be compensating external temperature by 3-5 degrees in any weather, with better stability and longevity than cement walls, with right specs. There are many concepts, philosophies and material, I'm yet to learn a lot.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:29   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

I'm in the process of finalizing architect and contractor for my home constructions. I would like to check with you guys if you have any inputs or suggestions on what architect/contractors to go with for such requirements and budget.
Your search ends with architects like Jaism fountainhead or Chaitra Vishwanath . Both out of Bangalore.

I got my house done from former, and it does match with most of the requirements you have. Do DM me in case you need some pictures.

Cheers!
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:08   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
I have not heard much about those bricks, anything that you have to burn would require a lots of energy, moreover, the burnt soil is gone out of the planet, will never be of any use again.
I read fly ash bricks can reduce cement consumption by 50%. However, my idea is not to use cement or may be just 6-7% of it (it can be 0% as well with appropriate lime usage in the mix, we have such structures around for many years). Rammed earth, it'll literally be a breathing wall, can be built isolated with a gap in between, would be compensating external temperature by 3-5 degrees in any weather, with better stability and longevity than cement walls, with right specs. There are many concepts, philosophies and material, I'm yet to learn a lot.
If you want to minimize cement, look up hydraulically pressed laterite blocks that use a tongue and grove system where you use zero cement.

I have a stunning book published by CBRI, Roorkee but can't seem to locate it which has many innovative construction ideas.

1. Flyash or even fine rice powder (when they polish the rice) as a part replacement for cement which has the added benifit of making concrete/plaster less permeable to water.

2. Use of bamboo for reinforcement in RCC slabs (I thought that was a cool idea)

3. Lightweight ferrocement roofs and panels for kitchen cabinets/wardrobes.

4. Stabilized mud blocks with different materials like hay/waste cloth fibers to reinforce the blocks

And lots more.

I knew someone in Bangalore who was trying to make prefab honeycomb paper (yeah you read right) panels for walls.

Lots of innovative options, but the problem is getting people to execute it properly and very few clients want to experiment with no guarantee of success.

Good luck on your house, but please, please also consider a 25 year maintenance cycle when you figure out cost/hassle of repairs.

PS: Also look up passive wind tower cooling

Last edited by keroo1099 : 22nd September 2021 at 11:19.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks