Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 16:21   #1711
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
This does not look like the work of termites. More like some flying insect. Termites usually eat wood and form a soil / mud cover over the wood.

Here is the result of a termite invasion in our home. The house was not occupied for an year due to the lock down and this is the result.

Attachment 2217785

Attachment 2217786

We used above spray to stop them from spreading.
Please check for Bayer "Premise" (flipkart and amazon have this)that is used by the professional pest spray experts.
This is odorless and not allergic as the Terminator. Results are good.
I have used both and I feel - Terminator to be less effective on termites and more dangerous for humans. Causing me eye burn and much irritation.
sri2012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 17:11   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Water might be seeping in through the small gaps between the floor tiles in the flat above. Request them fill it using sealant.
Ok...if that is the case why is there no dampness closer to the ceiling and also on the walls of the storage area? This is what baffles me.
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:29   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Ok...if that is the case why is there no dampness closer to the ceiling and also on the walls of the storage area? This is what baffles me.
It is because maximum seepage is through top floor bathroom corner tiles (wall-floor joint). Speak to them and get it filled with tile joint filler. It is a simple DIY work. All you need is powder and a putty blade.

If this does not solve, problem is with the plumbing.

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd October 2021 at 21:46.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:00   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Experts,
I have a strange seepage issue in one of the bathroom walls.
My house is on the 1st floor and there is flat one above mine.
As seen in the snap, only a small patch of the wall remains damp.
The ceiling seen above has a storage above it and above that the upper flat floor slab. The seepage is only seen in the patch marked in the pic. Nothing along the edges. I checked the wall and ceiling in the storage area above and it is perfectly dry. There are no pipes running in this particular section and no pipes on the outside walls as well. This damp patch comes and goes, sometimes it is almost dry and then its damp for some days.
Can someone provide probable causes?
There are many paths for water to seep.

1. We had water coming through the electrical conduit.

2. The seepage would have originated else where and travelled till water found an out let.

In either case the only method is to start at the leakage point and dig and trace the water path.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:16   #1715
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Thanks. Yes this is a standard GI water pipe connection to the kitchen and runs under the living room floor.
Below are quotes from my architect friend verbatim ( also has suggested to speak to an architect/ civil engineer locally to ratify things specific to your house)

1. Ensure the leakage is due to pipe and not seepage through tiles. If the problem is in the flooring pipe then the leakage must be in the lower floor unit as well (unless you can't see this in a ground floor unit). And if there is moisture in the walls then it could be because of water seepage through tiles also which can be repaired by re doing water proofing of the flooring I.e. filling the gaps in the tiles without removing the tiles.

2. If they have put a pipe in the living room then as good practice double pipes are laid i.e. smaller supply line inside a bigger cover pipe so that at the time of repair they open the flooring at both end and replace the pipe. Check if this was done.

3. GI pipes have a life. So while it is a cost-time intensive solution, ideally all old pipes should be replaced by CPVC if the lines are old, that extends the life in the house significantly.

But the main emphasis was on finding a trusted local architect/ civil engineer first.

All the best
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 10:57   #1716
BHPian

Looking for a handyman/plumber/small time contractor who can handle the following simple job in Pune:

Floor mounted toilet has come loose off its fittings. I think it needs to be removed, refitted and then sealed again with silicon paste. Ideally looking for someone who doesn't need to be micromanaged to do a neat job, really don't mind paying considerably more but desperately need a worker who is neat and tidy and will not take any shortcuts at all.

If anyone has any leads that would be much appreciated. I would be quite happy to do the job myself but just don't have the time.

Thanks.
Old 25th October 2021, 17:28   #1717
BHPian

Any idea what adhesive to be used for sticking Stainless steel hinges to Corain marble? As per my personal experience, I have used many bonding agents like Devcon Plastic Steel putty, Bayer Irodur etc for sticking stanless steel sheets with rubber or similar products. But never tried anything with marble. Any leads for this?
Old 26th October 2021, 09:54   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Any idea what adhesive to be used for sticking Stainless steel hinges to Corain marble? As per my personal experience, I have used many bonding agents like Devcon Plastic Steel putty, Bayer Irodur etc for sticking stanless steel sheets with rubber or similar products. But never tried anything with marble. Any leads for this?
Most of the time Epoxy will do the job. Just make sure
1. Both the surfaces are absolutely clean.
2. The surfaces of both the hinge and marble should be flush with no gap.
3. Mix the epoxy as per instruction.
4. Use thin layer only.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 10:12   #1719
BHPian

If anyone has any leads that would be much appreciated. I would be quite happy to do the job myself but just don't have the time.

I would recommend UrbanCompany if you have them in Pune. There’s a 30 day guarantee too in case of issues.
Old 26th October 2021, 10:34   #1720
Team-BHP Support

I don't know if it has been said here (& many of us might have heard it multiple times).

Don't reveal your budget to your architect and if you do, quote at least 50% less than what you intend to spend. When you go to pick flooring / interiors / decor / sanitary fittings, your budget will shoot up.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 16:08   #1721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of the time Epoxy will do the job. Just make sure...
I'd add to your list... I usually slightly roughen smooth surfaces when gluing, and polished marble is going to be very smooth.
Old 27th October 2021, 19:14   #1722
BHPian

A section of our house is undergoing renovation. BHPians, Seeking your suggestions/advice on construction waste disposal, mainly ceramic/vitrified tiles and washbowl/lavabo debris. I am one of those OCD people who hates littering around.
Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:30   #1723
BHPian

Have any folks done custom cushion work for Sofas, Accent Chairs, sofa cushion covers and upholstery for bed headboards in Bengaluru? Please suggest some good contacts for these?
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:02   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I bought Beyers premise, mixed with water, and sprayed on the frames last weekend (I wore mask, safety googles, and gloves).
Update:
Looks like it worked. No sign of termites now.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 11:18   #1725
BHPian

Dad wants to add a roof to the front portion of the house to provide some cover to the front sit-out and car porch.

Took a quote from a local contractor for building a trussless roof to cover about 31ft by 9ft area.

I am not sure which is the best material to go for. The contractor has asked to choose between Everlast Aluminium ones and TATA's Zinc+Aluminium. Unfortunately, don't have the actual product names

Attaching the quote (Total is about Rs. 60k inclusive of labor charges of about Rs. 20k) we got. Appreciate it if members can let me know if the quote is reasonable and any other pointers I should keep in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img_20211105_112004.jpg  

Last edited by JithinR : 5th November 2021 at 11:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks