Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 10:08   #1861
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Water leaks are hard to isolate. You have to find where the water path originates and then subsequently seal the whole path.
In my case, the concrete roof - only the portion which is above a bed room - leaks whenever the rain water stagnates there. I have tried redoing the tiles, water proofing with chemicals and finally the elastomeric paints - but the issue still persists.

I have to change the ceiling fan every alternate years as the fan is affected by the dripping water.
Old 22nd January 2022, 10:18   #1862
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have tried redoing the tiles, water proofing with chemicals and finally the elastomeric paints - but the issue still persists.
A friend had a similar problem in his house and was told by a waterproofing consultant that the tiles cause more damage than good since the gaps/crevices tend to absorb water and damage the roof over a period. So, finally just last week he had the tiles removed and relaid the top layer of waterproofing on the terrace. Will know the results better in a few months when monsoons start.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 10:28   #1863
Senior - BHPian

I gave a design to the fabricator and he reproduced it as per my dimensions. The joints were water proofed
Quote:
I have been battling water leak in my first floor roof for a long time. I have tried everything including elastomeric paint and still the roof leaks. Can you elaborate on the 5 inch canopy and amazon thingy ?
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:10   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, the concrete roof - only the portion which is above a bed room - leaks whenever the rain water stagnates there. I have tried redoing the tiles, water proofing with chemicals and finally the elastomeric paints - but the issue still persists.

I have to change the ceiling fan every alternate years as the fan is affected by the dripping water.
If the water drips from the fan fixture, then the water path is definitely through the electrical conduit, or the terrace portion above the fan box.

I suggest that you scrape the concrete in the terrace around the fan box location and get proper sealing done.

As some one mentioned, roof tiles may be a problem, as they may conceal cracks in the terrace slab and leave channels for water to travel. All I can think about is
. Take all the tiles off
. Scrape the cement/mud thoroughly
. Examine the roof for any cracks
. Lay Tar impregnated felt on the terrace, overlap the side walls by at least 20cm. Ideally use a heat gun to melt/soften the tar so that the sheets seal small cracks and seat properly.
. As a precaution roll the tar sheets while hot with a medium roller (similar to what is used on cricket pitches.
. Cover the tar sheets with tiles, best done while the sheets are hot and preferably roll the ties to embed them thoroughly.

I have done this in a number of houses and the water proofing is good for at least 10 years.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 10:05   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
So, finally just last week he had the tiles removed and relaid the top layer of waterproofing on the terrace. Will know the results better in a few months when monsoons start.
Quote:
. Lay Tar impregnated felt on the terrace, overlap the side walls by at least 20cm. Ideally use a heat gun to melt/soften the tar so that the sheets seal small cracks and seat properly.
. As a precaution roll the tar sheets while hot with a medium roller (similar to what is used on cricket pitches.
. Cover the tar sheets with tiles, best done while the sheets are hot and preferably roll the ties to embed them thoroughly.
Thanks Aroy Sir and NPV. I have relaid the tiles at least twice in a span of 14 years. I have used water proofing with chemicals with cement. Now I have spent quite a bit of money in elastomeric paint over the entire roof.
I am willing to do the tar impregnated felt tiles. But can I do that over the elastomeric painted surface ?
I consulted many consultants (Dr.Fixit etc) who said that elastomeric paint is the modern way to go. If properly done, they last for the liftetime of the roof.
Old 24th January 2022, 11:40   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I consulted many consultants (Dr.Fixit etc) who said that elastomeric paint is the modern way to go. If properly done, they last for the liftetime of the roof.
Modern way it may be, but the prerequisites are to have a pristine surface. Unfortunately the terrace slab; at least in India; is hardly flat smooth pristine surface. It is full of undulations and micro cracks. That is why Tar Felt which is relatively thick is the preferred method. When you roll the hot tar felt sheets, it fills up all the cracks and undulations.

There a number of ways to make roof/basement water proof, and all of them are based on sealing the surface :

1. Simplest is to use waterproofing compound in concrete while casting.

2. Inject chemicals at high pressure to seal micro cracks.

3. Use "Graniting" - spray sand-cement mixture at high pressure.

4. Cover the surface with bricks/tiles and then with glazed tiles.

I have used all these methods in various buildings and all them have a pro and con.
. No 1 is best while casting, it gets rid of 90% of the problems.
. Where there is chance of water pressure - swimming pool, large water tanks or heavy ground water No.4 gives the best results.
. Where it is question of normal seepage No.2 is best.
.For basements where the water table is low No.3 gets good results.

On the whole water proofing efficacy depends on the water pressure and quality of concrete. So choose the method after analysing the reasons.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 10:36   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Modern way it may be, but the prerequisites are to have a pristine surface. Unfortunately the terrace slab; at least in India; is hardly flat smooth pristine surface. It is full of undulations and micro cracks. That is why Tar Felt which is relatively thick is the preferred method. When you roll the hot tar felt sheets, it fills up all the cracks and undulations.

So choose the method after analysing the reasons.
Thanks Aroy Sir.
I show below a couple of images which point to the area of leak with black stains. I have coated the whole area with elastomeric paint. Now I will have to fix the tar impregnated tiles on top of them. Right ?
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-roofleak1.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-roofleak.jpg  

Old 25th January 2022, 12:18   #1868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy Sir.
I show below a couple of images which point to the area of leak with black stains. I have coated the whole area with elastomeric paint. Now I will have to fix the tar impregnated tiles on top of them. Right ?
Best to get rid of all the paint and scrape to bare concrete. That has two purpose
. You get a fresh surface
. Any hidden cracks will be exposed

Wait for a sunny spell before undertaking the project.
. This is the best time to check the slopes of the terrace. Use a few buckets of water to check the slope as well as dead spots. The ideal slope is towards the drain opening. Fill any dead spots with cement.
. Check the drain opening for any damage. At times when the drain pipe is flush with the surface, a gap forms between the top of the pipe and the opening. Best check and repair the drain opening.
. Once the surface is clean lay the tar impregnated felt sheets.
. Let the contractor heat the sheets before laying.
. There should be 2-4 cm overlap to prevent open voids.
. Ensure that the sheets are laid at least 15cm on the side walls.
. Insist on rolling the sheets with a medium roller while still hot. The contractor may triy to avoid it stating hundreds of reasons, but be firm. Best to ensure that the roller is on site before laying.
. Once the sheets are rolled, cover them with tiles and roll again to get a uniform surface without any undulations or tile edges sticking out.

Last edited by Aroy : 25th January 2022 at 12:21.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 09:05   #1869
BHPian

3M WTS 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Thank you both. Shall try and contact 3 M and get a quote.
The dealer has quoted as under:

MODEL – 3M WTS28 Fully Automatic water softener system + 801F Pre-filter System

1 HARDNESS : 200 PPM
2 OUT PUT SOFT WATER HARDNESS : BELOW 50 PPM
3 SOFT WATER OUT LET : 3,000 LITERS / HOUR Max
4 REGERATION PERIOD : Every 4 days ( Use – 1000 LTR/Day )
5 WORKING PRESSURE : 1.5 KG/CM2
6 MAXIMUM OPERATING PRESSURE : 5 KG/CM2
7 TEST PRESSURE : 8 KG/CM2
8 SOFTENER VESSEL : FRP vessel with cabinet unit
9 Softener Cabinet Dimension (H x W) 1 44” x 10”
10 3M RESIN Volume : 28 LITERS
11 SALT Storage capacity : 100 KG
12 Salt requirement 2.7 KG per regeneration
13 Softener Pre Filter 1 IAS801F 3M Sediment filter (5 Micron)
14 MULTIPORT OPERATING VALVE 1 Automatic
* QUANTITY 1 SET
* UNIT PRICE Rs. 1,24,990.00

Note:
• Any Kind of Civil, electrical and Plumbing works are in customer scope
• Plumbing Materials are in Customer Scope.
• Considering Site Design, Relay panel require for Auto Softener, Additional cost Will be @9000 Rs.

He did say that we could negotiate some discount? How much is possible?

10 KVA Genset

While on the subject, require advice for finalising a Genset. Offers are as follows:

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot-20220211-09.33.12.png

Would welcome advice. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th February 2022 at 10:58. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 11th February 2022, 15:29   #1870
BHPian

It's mid Feb and at the onset of Summer, we've slowly started to feel the heat rising (will miss you Pune's wintery mornings ). I was looking for any tips, suggestions on how to keep the house relatively cool in upcoming harsh Summer days, other than the usual ACs, and coolers. My house is East - West facing row-house situated in the middle of series of rowhouses so only windows I've are at East and West direction, making the indoors even hotter as the day goes by ! I happened to read this post by a fellow BHPian about how he installed the sunfilm on his flat's windows (Front windscreen sunfilm?) ! Other than this, what else can be done to reduce the indoor temperature ? Any tips suggestions are welcome !
Old 12th February 2022, 08:25   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Any tips suggestions are welcome !
Look for shade nets in a choice of colors (available on Amazon) like this :
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20220212081556_amazon.png  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20220212082321_amazon.png  

mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 09:03   #1872
BHPian

Need suggestions please, we are in a dilemma as whether to change house or renovate the existing property. We live in a flat originally alloted in 1984 by Delhi Development Authority (DDA) on a main road in West Delhi.

Pros:
. Though rooms are of average size but the flat has a lot of space and a dedicated store room, has a big verandah (mostly missing in latest society flats and builder homes).
. With renovation, the flat can easily accommodate spacious rooms.
. Most of the requirements from market are easily available at a walking distance. Even a decent hospital is at a walking distance to take care of my father's (poor) health needs. Kid's school is easily approachable (don't want to change).
. Being a DDA Colony, monthly maintenance is extremely cheap.
. Since it is situated at a prominent main road connecting Dwarka, Airport etc, many commercial shops have come up in adjacent flats, making it a lucrative commercial proposition. It is very easy to locate as well, even someone visiting for first time never gets lost finding it.
. Strong emotional connect especially of my parents.

Cons:
. The main road has become very busy, heavy traffic, high noises, pollution and dust are common affair taking a toll on health and increasing mental stress.
. My parents and kid are dependent on me or wife to take them out, as crossing the road is very difficult. No safe zone to let my 7 year old son play on his own. Parks aren't properly maintained by RWA as well.
. The flat is in a dire need of renovation which would involve shelling out funds heavily, implies lesser available funds for future emergencies, kid's higher studies etc. This would also require shifting my parents and family till renovation is completed.
. Being on ground floor, pests are common.
. Selling this property would fetch us a smaller spaced society flat / builder floor in Dwarka but will have less of funds available for the future needs. Though it can easily fetch us enough funds to buy a bigger property in NCR (Gurgaon, Faridabad etc) but will result in compromises on easy approach to markets, change in family doctor (not feasible for father), change in kid's school etc.

Please advise considering the above situation.
Old 12th February 2022, 12:30   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitm29 View Post
Need suggestions please, we are in a dilemma as whether to change house or renovate the existing property. We live in a flat originally alloted in 1984 by Delhi Development Authority (DDA) on a main road in West Delhi.

Pros:
. Though rooms are of average size but the flat has a lot of space and a dedicated store room, has a big verandah (mostly missing in latest society flats and builder homes).
. With renovation, the flat can easily accommodate spacious rooms.
. Most of the requirements from market are easily available at a walking distance. Even a decent hospital is at a walking distance to take care of my father's (poor) health needs. Kid's school is easily approachable (don't want to change).
. Being a DDA Colony, monthly maintenance is extremely cheap.
. Since it is situated at a prominent main road connecting Dwarka, Airport etc, many commercial shops have come up in adjacent flats, making it a lucrative commercial proposition. It is very easy to locate as well, even someone visiting for first time never gets lost finding it.
. Strong emotional connect especially of my parents.

Cons:
. The main road has become very busy, heavy traffic, high noises, pollution and dust are common affair taking a toll on health and increasing mental stress.
. My parents and kid are dependent on me or wife to take them out, as crossing the road is very difficult. No safe zone to let my 7 year old son play on his own. Parks aren't properly maintained by RWA as well.
. The flat is in a dire need of renovation which would involve shelling out funds heavily, implies lesser available funds for future emergencies, kid's higher studies etc. This would also require shifting my parents and family till renovation is completed.
. Being on ground floor, pests are common.
. Selling this property would fetch us a smaller spaced society flat / builder floor in Dwarka but will have less of funds available for the future needs. Though it can easily fetch us enough funds to buy a bigger property in NCR (Gurgaon, Faridabad etc) but will result in compromises on easy approach to markets, change in family doctor (not feasible for father), change in kid's school etc.

Old DDA flats are the best value for money. They are well designed and have a lot of space around for playing and parking. In contrast new properties lack both open space as well as parking. So you are better off renovating the flat. In case you want to shift, here are few points that come to my mind :

. Choose a location that is south facing with a park in front.
. If a flat, preferably get one that has stilt parking and a lift
. If there is a lift, get the top floor with roof rights (or at least right to use the terrace)
. If your finances permit then a bungalow is a good idea. Park and south facing.

In case you choose renovation, then talk to your neighbours. Now a days external lifts are being installed in DDA colonies; at least in South Delhi; Do not enclose balconies as they are essential for ventilation and relaxation.

Last edited by Aroy : 12th February 2022 at 12:31.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 12:49   #1874
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitm29 View Post

No advice here as these decisions are extremely personal, but can share experiences from the past on this:

- Assuming Finances, multiple vehicles & willingness are in place to buy a house in Gurgaon in a sector which is already developed, aspects like schooling, recreational areas for kids are taken care of. And markets for daily essentials atleast comes to the house instead of going somewhere. So for 2 generations of the family this move should be fine, moving once/ change of schools etc. are fairly minor as they don't happen frequently.

But

The change in surroundings for your parents and the family doctor aspects are things which have witnessed in the past. If the new place cannot provide a social circle to parents, they age pretty quickly. Sometimes the new society may not have folks for them to interact with (which can be found out with a check in evenings in the parks of the new place), sometimes parents don't make the effort to initiate that circle. Also a hospital may not be in walking distance in Gurgaon though should be in a driving distance with a number of them around.

So to summarise, keeping the parts in bold above around finance, vehicles, sector are considered:
1. The quality of life will improve for the kids no doubt so aspects like varied market (would say that Gurgaon has local essentials markets and malls with not much in between unlike where you probably stay), admissions, ease of directions etc will be relatively minor.
2. The quality of parents will depend on how quickly they form a new circle.
3. The family doctor convenience will be difficult to replicate unless you find one close by.

I know this is relative but I find rentals of Gurgaon low. So a possibility is one could see if the environment is conducive for a year or so by staying on rent before making any purchase. Yes this will imply moving multiple times, admissions, moving parents but frankly, coming from a family where some members have moved 8 times in 11 years/ stay on rent inspite of self-owned flats etc, I think this is more psychological than a big thing. I know this is extremely dependent on family temperament, but thought should mention it having seen it firsthand.

It's a tough one, all the best
One is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 18:11   #1875
BHPian

Dear Civil engineers/experts on Team-BHP, pl. help.

I have open adjutant terrace to my new flat, suffers from weird moisture leakage around the grout from the beginning as shown in the figure.

I raise this issue with the builder. He opened all the tile joints and carefully filled with Epoxy-Grout, but despite of this problem remains unsolved.

My online study on this matter revealed that epoxy grout is not suitable for outdoor open terrace because of UV exposure and expansion and contraction due to day/night temperature difference.

Please suggest a solution to this problem. Engineering department of builder is bewildered due to this problem and don't know what to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img_0301.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks