Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 13:38   #361
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went to the hardware guy to buy paint & he arranged for 3 painters for a small fee (no responsibilities though).

The painters don't seem horrible, maybe its my luck, the paint-shop guy didn't look surprised though.

They say they'll paint it within 4-5 days and will charge 14k as labour. I've to pay them 1k every evening as advance. 5th day balance 10k.

The materials, including a little bit of wall care putty & sand paper have come and the bill is for 20k.

The paint shop guy had also quoted 2k for plastic wraps, but at home the painters said if I paid them 1k extra, they'll adjust with newspapers to cover the floor & all appliances.

Lets see, even if they may need extra material, I don't think another bill will be more than 3k max.

I've asked my domestic help to assist me in looking over the work, he seems happy after the Diwali bonus tho I guess I'll happily oblige on the last day.

Lets see.

Thanks again!

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 27th November 2015 at 13:51.
Old 27th November 2015, 14:00   #362
Senior - BHPian

Newspapers cannot provide the coverage that plastic and masking tape can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
The paint shop guy had also quoted 2k for plastic wraps, but at home the painters said if I paid them 1k extra, they'll adjust with newspapers to cover the floor & all appliances.
Old 27th November 2015, 14:14   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Newspapers will leak and spoil/stain what they are supposed to protect
Old 27th November 2015, 14:44   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Newspapers will leak and spoil/stain what they are supposed to protect
Yep, I had an old (but clean) flex banner which I just retrieved from the store room. It's pretty large & should cover furniture & protect it better.

They've also laid newspapers in 3-4 layers on the floor & will clean up while working if reqd. They're moving forward room by room starting with working on the ceiling & wall primers while laying papers on the floor.

Plastic wrap at paint shop was quite thin & I doubt would've lasted 3 reuses. Anyway, lets see.

Thanks!

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 27th November 2015 at 14:45.
Old 4th December 2015, 12:09   #365
BHPian

Hi again guys, sharing something I learnt.

I'm getting tin sheets put on my terrace, first I thought we only get short sheets, due to which, to prevent any chances of water seepage, we planned to get the sheets sealed with silicone sealant. This could've consumed quite a lot of sealant & that does cost a fair bit.

However the fabricator guy is getting LONG length sheets cut to order. This will almost leave nil chances for seepage & halve the cost of sealant.

Btw, the painting work was done with no glitches. I feel professionals aren't a viable option unless its a large project.

Rgds
Old 4th December 2015, 14:00   #366
BHPian

For covering the floor, you can get black coloured floor plastic sheet or get a tarpaulin which is fairly cheap.
Old 20th December 2015, 14:04   #367
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hey, I need a waterproofer reference from experience - someone reliable- in Bangalore for two small damp portions in an apartment where my parents live, Its just beginning to spread.
I finally found a contractor who could get the Waterproofing work done.
He was referred by the local paint store owner whom we know for several years now.
His contact information is here:
Ramnath +91 94836 84147
Old 20th December 2015, 14:31   #368
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot. We are planning on a March or April job, just before the rains. How does one get a good job done, attack specific spots or get the whole roof done from inside the apartment? And usually what should be the cost PSFT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I finally found a contractor who could get the Waterproofing work done.
He was referred by the local paint store owner whom we know for several years now.
His contact information is here:
Ramnath +91 94836 84147
Old 20th December 2015, 18:45   #369
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thanks a lot. We are planning on a March or April job, just before the rains. How does one get a good job done, attack specific spots or get the whole roof done from inside the apartment? And usually what should be the cost PSFT?
We had a couple of foot long hairline cracks in external wall plaster so we got it done in a day, so wasn't a complex job.
I'm no expert on the subject but I suggest you have the person visit your place and assess it so that he can recommend a solution and also give you an estimate or quote for the work. From my interaction with him I found him to be quite knowledgeable about the work and he has several years of experience in this field.
Old 1st January 2016, 08:49   #370
BANNED

I have a question about western toilets. There are 2 types which are commonly used. Once which rests on the floor and the other which hangs from the wall without a floor support - sort of a cantilever kind. The question is about the hanging kind.

I was wondering what kind of weight can the hanging kind can take & how does it manage to do it. I am not talking about weight of person sitting on it (because the person's feet are on the floor - so part of his weight goes to the floor). I am talking let's I keep a weight directly on the toilet seat - will it break?

I am asking because of this -

If you use a stool kind of thing as shown in this video, far more weight will go on the toilet than on the floor as compared to normally.

So how much weight can a hung toilet take?
Old 1st January 2016, 10:04   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

But why would you want to use the hanging type ? There are some nice looking designs with the floor-mounted types.
Old 1st January 2016, 10:16   #372
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But why would you want to use the hanging type ? There are some nice looking designs with the floor-mounted types.
Hanging type saves some space as compared to the floor mounted one. And I already have installed it.
Old 29th February 2016, 14:56   #373
Senior - BHPian

Is there a damp proof membrane that I can paste or nail on the damp walls of my rented accommodation?

My landlord got waterproofing done of the roof where water overflows from various water tanks that are kept right above our roof. However, after about a month the dampness which had started vanishing came back. The capillary action also is causing the lower sides of the walls of my bedroom to get damp and then the black mould appears on them.

Since its a rented accommodation I don't want to get to the source and spend big bucks fixing the plumbing (if its a problem) or the cracks etc. I read on the net and there are damp proof membranes that are available which I can paste on the damp walls - http://newtonwaterproofing.co.uk/pro...ng/system-800/

Is there something similar available in India, Delhi specifically?

EDIT: If there's a spray or a coating that I can apply myself and if gives me damp free walls even for a year or two that would be enough. I'm not looking for a long lasting solution (5-10 years), just something that would hold for a year or two.

Last edited by fine69 : 29th February 2016 at 14:59.
Old 29th February 2016, 18:26   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is there a damp proof membrane that I can paste or nail on the damp walls of my rented accommodation?

My landlord got waterproofing done of the roof where water overflows from various water tanks that are kept right above our roof. However, after about a month the dampness which had started vanishing came back. The capillary action also is causing the lower sides of the walls of my bedroom to get damp and then the black mould appears on them.

Since its a rented accommodation I don't want to get to the source and spend big bucks fixing the plumbing (if its a problem) or the cracks etc. I read on the net and there are damp proof membranes that are available which I can paste on the damp walls - http://newtonwaterproofing.co.uk/pro...ng/system-800/

Is there something similar available in India, Delhi specifically?

EDIT: If there's a spray or a coating that I can apply myself and if gives me damp free walls even for a year or two that would be enough. I'm not looking for a long lasting solution (5-10 years), just something that would hold for a year or two.
The problem with such solutions is that you have not got rid of the root cause. Pasting a waterproof layer on the walls will only aggravate the problem, as the water will now try to and succeed) in finding an alternate route and emerge some where else.

Your best bet is to impress upon the Land Lord that such water seepage will not only reduce the rental value but in long run damage the house which will result in remedial repairs of ten times if not hundred times more than getting waterproofing done now.

In your case all the affected walls will be injected with specialty chemicals on a 1m grid. That apart the treatment has to be done to the ceiling on the inside and the roof floor on the out side. Search the net for a water proofing contractor and get an estimate. Then convince the land lord to do it. Else if he is not ready, change the house, as it will soon be unlivable - damp will collect fungus and breed insects which will make life hell for you in the long run.

Last edited by Aroy : 29th February 2016 at 18:28.
Old 20th April 2016, 09:53   #375
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any references for carpenters in Bangalore who can work well with teak wood ? Just thinking about refurbishing the dining table and we also have some more old teak from a broken cot, etc
If we buy a new dining table, the old dining table will only get some throwaway scrap price so thinking of ways to reuse it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks