Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 17:03   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I was wondering how long it takes to paint (the insides) of a house with 5 rooms. The painters have given me an estimate of 15 days because according to them, it takes three days per room - one day to sandpaper the walls, one day to putty, and the third day (and maybe fourth) to primer and paint.

Is this excessive or am I asking a stupid question?

Thanks and cheers
This is the minimum time, for all you know it may take longer, especially if it rains. Do not hurry it up as both the putty and paint need time to dry. If possible do the painting when there is a long hot dry spell, in Delhi it is the month of May. If you can spare two rooms at a time you can reduce the total time.
Old 28th April 2016, 17:40   #407
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering how long it takes to paint (the insides) of a house with 5 rooms. The painters have given me an estimate of 15 days because according to them, it takes three days per room - one day to sandpaper the walls, one day to putty, and the third day (and maybe fourth) to primer and paint.

Is this excessive or am I asking a stupid question?

Thanks and cheers
This timeline is fine, in fact it will probably take longer irl. Mine took longer since there was some breaking and repairs to done to the walls prior to painting. Make sure you personally buy the paint from a big shop, don't leave it to the contractor. And make sure the painters don't dilute the paint, cause many of them do it since it makes their work easier and then you end up with thin coat and poor result. I had to make them paint some parts of my home 4 times since they had diluted the paint.
Old 28th April 2016, 23:54   #408
Senior - BHPian

On a related note, how does one go about painting an apartment while staying in it? We have gotten work done in our independent house in our hometown but that had two floors and we do painting one floor at a time. Not should how I will live for 15+ days in an apartment with the work going on. Maybe send parents to hometown and I book a service apartment nearby to sleep? Suggestions please.
Old 29th April 2016, 00:20   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
On a related note, how does one go about painting an apartment while staying in it?.
I got asian paints concept painting done in every room of our house and managed by doing only one room at a time and with only one painter. Some days two came over but I insisted it should only be one guy. It takes longer but we can control the dust flow and monitor the workmanship better.
Old 29th April 2016, 11:59   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This is the minimum time, for all you know it may take longer, especially if it rains. Do not hurry it up as both the putty and paint need time to dry. If possible do the painting when there is a long hot dry spell, in Delhi it is the month of May. If you can spare two rooms at a time you can reduce the total time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
This timeline is fine, in fact it will probably take longer irl. Mine took longer since there was some breaking and repairs to done to the walls prior to painting. Make sure you personally buy the paint from a big shop, don't leave it to the contractor. And make sure the painters don't dilute the paint, cause many of them do it since it makes their work easier and then you end up with thin coat and poor result. I had to make them paint some parts of my home 4 times since they had diluted the paint.
Aroy and mx, thank you for the prompt response and clarification.

I am sorry if my question seemed naïve. It's just that I had my entire 3-floor home in Canada painted (start to finish) in a day; hence my doubts. Of course, there were 6 painters

Thanks again and cheers
Old 29th April 2016, 16:24   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Am in the market for tiles for my new house. After much consideration, I have gravitated towards vitrified tiles. But confused about a lot of things.

Kajaria vs Somany vs Nitco vs Asian vs various imported brands

Glossy vs satin matte (no rough finishes)

Printed vs double charge vs full body

People who has shopped for tiles recently, please help me.
Indian vitrified tiles come with laser cut edges. Each co. has a tolerance limit on the unevenness (warping). However, once the flooring is laid, if you carefully observe it, you will notice that the joints are not evenly flat. A part of the tile will be perfectly aligned with its adjacent one and then a small part could be slightly above or below. This is very minor and is seen only if you examine closely.

Imported vitrified tiles (from China mainly) have chamfered edges which takes care of this problem. However, I don't know how durable the Chinese tiles are. Check with a couple of dealers in your area.
Old 29th April 2016, 17:48   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aroy and mx, thank you for the prompt response and clarification.

I am sorry if my question seemed naïve. It's just that I had my entire 3-floor home in Canada painted (start to finish) in a day; hence my doubts. Of course, there were 6 painters

Thanks again and cheers
I doubt that these were brick cement plaster walls. Most of the walls in North America are "Dry Walls" made of board with Plaster of Paris surfacing. These walls do not need much pre-treatment and neither do they absorb paint. Our brick walls with cement plaster undulate with time, and absorb paint. They require thorough sanding to get rid of old paint (which normally sticks like a leach at some places but peels off at others). The paint too requires time to dry out, hence longer times required to paint walls in India.

One advantage of coating the walls with Plaster of Paris in preparation to using modern paints is that the walls do not require much preparation prior to painting. If the paint has not peeled a light sanding followed by a couple of coats of paint can be easily accomplished in one day.

Last edited by Aroy : 29th April 2016 at 17:50.
Old 1st May 2016, 07:23   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, am looking for nice seats / stools like this. Any idea where else can I find some ?
(This is from UrbanLadder )

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-stool.jpg
Old 2nd May 2016, 08:11   #414
naj
BHPian

Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Hi ,
Please need some inputs on Home Media Room .
Have researched on the internet about the ideal L to B ratio for a Home media Rm .
One source mentions -
Quote:
Room width should be 1.6 times the height and the length should be 2.6 times the room height.

Have a room size of 11x 11 x 8 Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462156790.524934.jpgavailable in the basement for this -

Please guide on a few points -
- If a 11 x 11 media room with 5.1 can be set up to provide satisfactory experience . Floor plan below . The room is labeled as Exercise Room .
-Will there be some echo , sound refection or muddy noise.
If so can they be reduced or prevented by Audio pads and treatments .
- Would speaker and sub sizes matter .
-Am thinking of a 60" to 65" 4K ultra HD TV . Projector will not be suitable due to the lesser throw dist and close up viewing distance IMHO.
The room height is 8 ft .
- The basement is unfinished so can run the wiring , connectors .
-Am thinking of upgrading the current speakers . Will these upgrade speakers be an over kill - www.tektondesign.com
These are high efficiency ones so will need less amp wattage
- Sub woofers- had read small room may require 2 subs .

Hope to start the project in June .

Thanks,
NAJ
Attached Images

Last edited by naj : 2nd May 2016 at 08:13.
Old 30th May 2016, 10:52   #415
BHPian

Hello Friends,
I have a open terrace and plan to build 2 rooms for my kids. Was looking how feasible is prefabricated structures so that the construction time will be less and less expensive as well. Please let me know your thoughts and also any reference / designs / contacts. Plan to complete it before rain starts in Bangalore if feasible.
Old 16th July 2016, 10:25   #416
BHPian

Hello All,

Need a help. Our apartment lift [ Bangalore] is non-functional for last few days. Being an Old flat [ 15 years ], our AMC person is asking to change the whole controller. Pls. suggest me few good service/maintenance company in Bangalore for lift repairs .
Old 16th July 2016, 10:40   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Folks, am looking for nice seats / stools like this. Any idea where else can I find some ?
(This is from UrbanLadder )
From your Friendly neighbourhood carpenter.
Old 17th August 2016, 15:58   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Tips when you engage a carpenter

If you are engaging a carpenter for work on a sq-ft basis:

Your carpenter may say that some shades of laminate or veneer are not available. If so, DO NOT accept that answer. Go and check a couple of godowns. You should find it !

There are multiple godowns in each city for the materials. So you should find it somewhere !

Basically, your carpenter sticks to one supplier. If that supplier does not have it, he is not likely to go and check other dealers for the same item.

The dealer himself gets it from the godown directly delivered to your place. The dealers are mostly open to show you the laminate sheets and also check their stock.

Also, the shade cards can lie. After you select the shade card, go to the godown to check exactly how it looks. The shade card book consists of pieces of laminate cut from the main sheet, and is not completely representative of the full sheet. Many times, you would look at one piece of the sheet and the sheet can turn out something else.

Many godowns are open to take back such "in-correct" sheets - especially if you are going to take something else. Speak to the godown if required.

Most materials are available at discount, even with bill. So dont hesitate to mix and match - getting stuff you like. Your carpenter will reduce that much amount from the bill.

Last edited by condor : 17th August 2016 at 16:02.
Old 3rd September 2016, 17:34   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for small glass with paintings of Ganesha / Shiva / Om etc, for the pooja area. The glass could be about 5" square. Any ideas ?
Old 12th September 2016, 14:29   #420
Senior - BHPian

I'm in the process of buying a 3 BHK apartment and need some suggestions on work that I wish to get done once I finalize the deal.

I'm eyeing bare bone kind of apartment so that I spend a few lakhs and get the basics done to my taste. It also helps in getting a good deal when the owner hasn't spent too much on woodwork etc.

My objective:
- Get the master bedroom bathroom converted to those 5 star kinds, proper space utilization with cabinets etc. A very well done bathroom is very important to me as I spend the first 30-45 mins of each morning here
- Aesthetic work done in master bedroom for that exclusivity feel
- Almirah's done in 2 bedrooms atleast
- Get flooring done across the apartment, call would be between vitrified tiles or marble or mix of both
- Durable paint, entire apartment
- Good solid doors with solid frame
- Front metal door but one which looks pleasing aesthetically, video camera in front door with speaker
- Sliding doors/windows with glass (tempered?) wherever balcony is

Questions:
- Would a 4-5 lakhs budget be ok for this work?
- Is there a proper order that I should follow on how the work would be done, like flooring is very first followed by paint. Trying to figure this out so as to not get fooled by any contractor
- Do I give all work to one single guy or is it better to get work done in stages so that I can take a call if something doesn't look right
- Anything else that I should be extremely cautious of

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks