Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 14:52   #496
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Have worked a temporary solution from the heatwave on terrace , painted with Suryachem watersoluble limebased paint(rs.200 per bag + Rs.80 for adhesive , total of 4 bags for 1500sqft ) . Also covered the terrace with green shade net used at nurseries about 20 mts @ 130 per meter . All this done today morning will update on efficiency after a week .
Old 20th April 2017, 11:12   #497
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks - need some suggestions with some home makeover work.
Want to route the RO Water Filter's (1/4" ?) water tube from the kitchen to our garden where I plan to keep a trough or bucket to collect the water and use it in the garden.

Earlier, we had drilled a hole through the base of the kitchen wooden window frame, but now we're relocating the filter so considering drilling a hole in the wall.

How can this be routed neatly through the wall and also have tightly sealed ends on both sides so that ants, etc cannot enter ?

Are there specific connectors, etc available for this ?

Another issue with the earlier setup was the end of the tube on the garden side would accumulate greenish algae. Any way to avoid this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have a similar problem as rm_arjuna above.
I think installing the new tiles over the existing tiles can be a workable solution. A rough estimate I made is : Tiles Rs.42 per sq ft + material Rs.20 per sq ft + Labour Rs.30 per sq ft roughly takes the cost of this 1200 sq ft terrace retiling close to a lakh, which will end up being over the budget. Any suggestions?
A friend got this product painted on the terrace - Link

This was done last year:
Rate per SFT was ~ Rs. 25/- + VAT etc.. – included material and labor. The coating was applied in two coats and has a warranty of 3 years.

Last edited by NPV : 20th April 2017 at 11:35.
Old 20th April 2017, 13:27   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks - need some suggestions with some home makeover work.
Want to route the RO Water Filter's (1/4" ?) water tube from the kitchen to our garden where I plan to keep a trough or bucket to collect the water and use it in the garden..........
Use a long masonry drill to create a hole, preferably 1/2 inch dia. That will give a tight fit to a normal plastic water hose. Then route the RO pipe through the pipe. Seal both ends with a rubber compound found in most auto spare parts stores. Costs around Rs.15/ for a medium sized tube. this would enable you to change the RO pipe when needed.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th May 2017 at 09:16. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th April 2017, 17:02   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A friend got this product painted on the terrace - Link

This was done last year:
Rate per SFT was ~ Rs. 25/- + VAT etc.. – included material and labor. The coating was applied in two coats and has a warranty of 3 years.
Thanks so much. Will check it out.
Old 23rd April 2017, 21:33   #500
Senior - BHPian

With property rates down I now have a certain duplex villa in my budget. However, this particular society has very low occupancy right now and I'm wary of the security issues. These are authority made duplexes so I've kept about 15-20 lakhs aside for paint, electrical work, plumbing, windows, doors, kitchen etc. but totally clueless as to how much does it cost to make a house secure, as much as I can.

There's a main gate, 2 cars that can then be parked inside the house, 2 front doors (one for entry in living room, the other opens in lobby) and 1 door that has roof access. I'm assuming I'd want video coverage at all these 3 doors. I'd want an iron cage installation in the back but I think this can easily be done well within 1 lakh. What other things would I want, motion sensors or anything else?
Old 24th April 2017, 18:21   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post

How are the Cool roof tiles with a SRI of >90. I came across brands like H&R Johnson (Endura Cool roof SRI tiles), ABC cool roof tiles, Insulla etc who manufacture these white high SRI tiles. Anyone who knows someone who has used these with a visible difference to the internal temperature?
The society does not permit any structural changes or major modification. Painting the floor with anti reflective paint may not be practical as this terrace is used by residents so the paint may wear off after a few months. I think installing the new tiles over the existing tiles can be a workable solution. A rough estimate I made is : Tiles Rs.42 per sq ft + material Rs.20 per sq ft + Labour Rs.30 per sq ft roughly takes the cost of this 1200 sq ft terrace retiling close to a lakh, which will end up being over the budget. Any suggestions?
Am building a new house and planning the same. However, your labour costs are too high. Did you inquire about it from someone ?
Old 25th April 2017, 11:48   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Am building a new house and planning the same. However, your labour costs are too high. Did you inquire about it from someone ?
I checked online from some contractorbhai or some such site. Dont remember now. Since the project is not too big, I added some buffer if I plan to do it.
Old 25th April 2017, 12:14   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Have worked a temporary solution from the heatwave on terrace , painted with Suryachem watersoluble limebased paint(rs.200 per bag + Rs.80 for adhesive , total of 4 bags for 1500sqft ) . Also covered the terrace with green shade net used at nurseries about 20 mts @ 130 per meter . All this done today morning will update on efficiency after a week .

Was this useful ? Please share your opinion on this.
Old 25th April 2017, 12:42   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Was this useful ? Please share your opinion on this.
The inside temperature has come down considerably inspite of sweltering heatwave outside . Last year it was like sitting in an hot oven . We are able to stay indoor without fan and also the A/c cools pretty fast . However the paint has started peeling in some spots planning to repaint only those patches . Overall managed to survive from heat this season .
Old 25th April 2017, 15:08   #505
BHPian

Re: To Run the BorePump when well might be dry?

It's been sometime since bore-well was operated and when I did y'day it was NOT pumping water and lots of air was coming out of the tap. There is a construction happening right opp. to our place and the guy had dug his bore-well 600ft, whereas ours would be around 300ft.

Is the water table around our bore-well exhausted coz of the construction usage of our neighbor OR is it due to non-usage of say more than 4 months?
Could we switch on the pump when the well has run dry? Would it harm the pump?

Please advise.
Old 25th April 2017, 15:15   #506
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Use a long masonry drill to create a hole, preferably 1/2 inch dia.
Quoting only to get your attention

Getting some work done in the kitchen like modular cabinets, etc and also replacing wall tiles.
1. We had Johnson tiles earlier and they have aged very well.
This time around, considering Johnson, Kajaria and Nitco (floor tiles currently are Nitco and they're wonderful, have aged well). What would you suggest among these ?
Also, would be great if you can provide some guidance on wall tile sizes to use - confused after seeing 300x450mm, 300x600mm, etc. Would prefer to have reduced number of joints, so 300x600mm make sense ?

2. We also have an opportunity to consider replacing the switches (and the electrical boxes inside the walls if necessary). Not at all happy with the Anchor Roma (now Panasonic ?) switches we have. Any other suggestions - MK / Crabtree / Legrand ? Don't want to spend a fortune on this!

Last edited by NPV : 25th April 2017 at 15:18.
Old 26th April 2017, 11:26   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting only to get your attention

Getting some work done in the kitchen like modular cabinets, etc and also replacing wall tiles.
1. We had Johnson tiles earlier and they have aged very well.
This time around, considering Johnson, Kajaria and Nitco (floor tiles currently are Nitco and they're wonderful, have aged well). What would you suggest among these ?
Also, would be great if you can provide some guidance on wall tile sizes to use - confused after seeing 300x450mm, 300x600mm, etc. Would prefer to have reduced number of joints, so 300x600mm make sense ?

2. We also have an opportunity to consider replacing the switches (and the electrical boxes inside the walls if necessary). Not at all happy with the Anchor Roma (now Panasonic ?) switches we have. Any other suggestions - MK / Crabtree / Legrand ? Don't want to spend a fortune on this!
I personally prefer Kajaria as they have extensive range available here in Delhi. Regarding size it is a personal choice. We have had 8x12 tiles in kitchen and are quite happy with them. Larger tiles are difficult to align and match the joints.

Definitely go for modern switches which are modular, so replacement of a switch or socket is extremely easy. Cannot comment on the brands.
Old 26th April 2017, 11:37   #508
BHPian

Re: To Run the BorePump when well might be dry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is the water table around our bore-well exhausted coz of the construction usage of our neighbor OR is it due to non-usage of say more than 4 months?
Could we switch on the pump when the well has run dry? Would it harm the pump?
Chances are your pump needs priming. Open the priming orifice and pour water into it using a funnel until the water comes out. It could take quite a bit of water depending upon the borewell length. Start the motor and you should see water spurting out of the orifice. Quickly turn off the pump and replace the nut. Start the motor again.

If you run the motor without any water, your motor will overheat as normally the flow of the water keeps the motor within its normal operating temperature.
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:36   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it possible to drill a hole through the 19mm granite slab kitchen top ?

While doing our kitchen, I have missed to provide a routing for the pipe from cylinder to the gas stove. The cylinder will be placed in the utility area adjacent to the kitchen. The gas needs to be brought to the stove via a pipe thru the wall. But the granite slab is already fixed, and the cabinets are in place. The best way at this time is if I can drill a 19mm hole in the granite slab, so that I can get the rubber pipe through. Is it possible ?
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:01   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is it possible to drill a hole through the 19mm granite slab kitchen top ?

While doing our kitchen, I have missed to provide a routing for the pipe from cylinder to the gas stove. The cylinder will be placed in the utility area adjacent to the kitchen. The gas needs to be brought to the stove via a pipe thru the wall. But the granite slab is already fixed, and the cabinets are in place. The best way at this time is if I can drill a 19mm hole in the granite slab, so that I can get the rubber pipe through. Is it possible ?
Yes, very much possible. You will need a bigger bit (20mm or higher) to drill. Any local marble mistry will be able to do it with a driller at few hundred bucks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks