Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2017, 16:23   #631
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get a contractor to inject chemicals (Dr Fixit is one of them) on the walls and ceiling of both your bathrooms. Done properly with authorised contractor your problem will be solved once and for all.
Thanks for the suggestion. But the issue is - it will not solve the root cause which is that of the water collecting above my bathroom ceiling. By the injection the cracks may get filled but after a few months the water will find a way to damage the other portions of the ceiling.

As the owner above is willing to let me bring the engineer(?) to check his bathroom to pinpoint the source of leakage, I would like to get a reliable person who can detect the source of leakage.

Are there any technologies which can detect leakages in non-invasive manner - like using ultrasound / infrared devices?
Old 13th October 2017, 11:14   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. But the issue is - it will not solve the root cause which is that of the water collecting above my bathroom ceiling. By the injection the cracks may get filled but after a few months the water will find a way to damage the other portions of the ceiling.

As the owner above is willing to let me bring the engineer(?) to check his bathroom to pinpoint the source of leakage, I would like to get a reliable person who can detect the source of leakage.

Are there any technologies which can detect leakages in non-invasive manner - like using ultrasound / infrared devices?
Injecting chemicals will close all the micro cracks through which water propagates, so that there is no seepage for at least 10 years. Of course the water leaks may find another route.

The most common cause of water seepage from bathrooms is the gap at the top of the pipe has a gap where it connects with the floor/trap. If that is so, then filling the gap with grout should suffice. If the gap is large (> 10mm) then inserting a plastic pipe and heat sealing will do.
Old 19th October 2017, 02:56   #633
BANNED

Quote:
A loose connection on either side of the switch is the most probable cause.
Yup. Got it fixed. Thank you.
Old 25th October 2017, 21:24   #634
NAK

Hello. I am based in Bangalore and looking for a good contractor for bathroom renovation work. Can someone please suggest based on their experiences?
Old 9th November 2017, 13:02   #635
BANNED

I have recently started redoing the house . I have shortlisted Grohe for Fittings , Toto for Saniatry Ware , and Neelkanth Sinks for Kitchen .
How are the services or product quality of above brands .Anything i should keep in mind while finalizing .
Also i am confused on exhaust fans for washroom and kitchen . I am looking for Mosquito proof design with high cfm for kitchen .For washroom noise and Mosquito proof is dominant factor .
Any experiences with what brand and model will be helpful .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 9th November 2017 at 13:05.
Old 9th November 2017, 14:06   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I have recently started redoing the house . I have shortlisted Grohe for Fittings , Toto for Saniatry Ware , and Neelkanth Sinks for Kitchen .
How are the services or product quality of above brands .Anything i should keep in mind while finalizing .
Also i am confused on exhaust fans for washroom and kitchen . I am looking for Mosquito proof design with high cfm for kitchen .For washroom noise and Mosquito proof is dominant factor .
I have Grohe and find them good. Havent had any problems with them.
I use Cata exhaust fans for washrooms and also have a chimney. The fans for washrooms can be made to sit in a pipe of right diameter and you can put a mesh on the outside

Last edited by srishiva : 9th November 2017 at 14:07.
Old 9th November 2017, 14:30   #637
BHPian

Wanted to update on my short project for automatic timed cutoff of the water heater after a few minutes. I purchased a staircase timer rated at 16A, MCB type 16a socket, 16A DP RCBO and a Havells mcb indicator light. This works well and I have set the timer to cut power after about 4 minutes. Saves me angst when my kids leave the heater on all day and saves them the worry of retribution .
Few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1510217979944.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1510218003479.jpg  

Last edited by diyguy : 9th November 2017 at 14:34.
Old 9th November 2017, 14:32   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I recently built my house and used all Grohe fittings in the bathrooms, Kohler in the kitchen and Kohler for Sanitaryware.

Grohe comes in two quality specs. I think they call it G2 and G3. G2 is made in Europe (Germany, Poland) while G3 is made in Thailand. G3 is meant for builders and the packaging is industrial. G2 comes with better packing, documentation and looks "richer". I bought G3 except a rain-shower system in G2. G2 apparently is scratch proof, dunno about G3. Kohler is equally priced as Grohe, but the operation is smoother - real joy to use.

Both Grohe and Kohler service are really good. I had to call Grohe for fixing the shower system because the local plumber couldn't figure out. And the Kohler for the bidet system because, again the plumber was clueless. They insist that the plumber be around when they come, but they do the bulk of the work. I think, both Kohler and Grohe provide 2 year free service.
Old 16th November 2017, 12:13   #639
BHPian

Guys, does anybody have experience of using acoustic foam in a room?

In my house I have made a small office (6 feet x 8 feet). The room is U shaped with the entrance of the U closed with a glass door. It is small, but cosy. Now when I take a call from this room, others on the call are complaining about the echo in the room. It appears that since the room is quite small, the sound is resonating within the room.

I was looking up online and it appears that there is acoustic foam available that absorbs the resonating sound. They are used in recording studios, etc. But I guess should server my purpose. Any thoughts/pointers please?
Old 16th November 2017, 12:20   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Guys, does anybody have experience of using acoustic foam in a room?

In my house I have made a small office (6 feet x 8 feet). The room is U shaped with the entrance of the U closed with a glass door. It is small, but cosy. Now when I take a call from this room, others on the call are complaining about the echo in the room. It appears that since the room is quite small, the sound is resonating within the room.

I was looking up online and it appears that there is acoustic foam available that absorbs the resonating sound. They are used in recording studios, etc. But I guess should server my purpose. Any thoughts/pointers please?
You can use any of these, which are available is large sheets :

. Rigid Foam - 30mm to 50mm thick, used for packaging.
. Themrocole in 20mm or 30mm thickness.
. Acoustic tiles, these are most expensive and generally available in smaller squares - 300mm to 500mm.

These are generally available in wholesale markets dealing with packaging and insulation materials.

Your main problem will be door and glass areas (if any). Door can be covered with the above material, but glass areas will need double glazing with at least 10mm gap between panes.
Old 16th November 2017, 12:29   #641
BHPian

Thanks! Do I have to cover the entire wall (all 3 walls) with this material. That might make the room very hot!

This is what I see on Amazon -

Acoustic foam

Quote:
Your main problem will be door and glass areas (if any). Door can be covered with the above material, but glass areas will need double glazing with at least 10mm gap between panes.
The door of the room is 10mm toughened glass. I used glass so that the room doesn't feel claustrophobic. In hindsight, I should have probably put in a wooden door...
Old 16th November 2017, 12:32   #642
BHPian

Help me!

1. I am Thinking of using Urban Clap services for home cleaning. Before I book, looking for feedback.

2. The floor in my house has settled at few places. Thankfully, the tiles are holding in place. It gives a 'hollow' sound when walking over them. Is there an expert to solve this - like pumping grouts below the tiles etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th November 2017, 13:22   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Thanks! Do I have to cover the entire wall (all 3 walls) with this material. That might make the room very hot!

This is what I see on Amazon -

Acoustic foam

The door of the room is 10mm toughened glass. I used glass so that the room doesn't feel claustrophobic. In hindsight, I should have probably put in a wooden door...
1. Yes all the walls have to be covered to ensure good sound proofing.
2. The acoustic material is fine, but may tend to be quite expensive to acquire and fix, a it will require frames. Thermocole should be less than a quarter of that cost. Large sheets can be simply pasted to the walls with suitable adhesive.
3. You can install a small split AC if the room gets too hot.
Old 25th November 2017, 23:00   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Any civil engineers / architects here, based in Bangalore ?

Need some help with solution for some flooding issues.

TIA !
Old 26th November 2017, 07:37   #645
Senior - BHPian

A small office room at church has a very mouldy smell and I noticed that the sofa has some mould too. Is there any way of treating or repainting the walls to ensure mould is not an issue. There is some water stagnation on the roof due to rain which can be addressed too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks