Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2018, 08:19   #706
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 54
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Hello everyone. Would be grateful if somewhat could share some info on the following queries :

1. Cost of structure per square foot. Also breakup of the cost.
2. A cumulative or breakup cost of Painting, Doors, Lighting and Electrical, Bath Fittings, Kitchen and Wardrobes.

Assume medium quality for everything. Nothing fancy.
wannabelean is offline  
Old 8th January 2018, 12:19   #707
Senior - BHPian
 
architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ghaziabad, U. P
Posts: 1,340
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
Hello everyone. Would be grateful if somewhat could share some info on the following queries :

1. Cost of structure per square foot. Also breakup of the cost.
2. A cumulative or breakup cost of Painting, Doors, Lighting and Electrical, Bath Fittings, Kitchen and Wardrobes.

Assume medium quality for everything. Nothing fancy.
What is the building? Residential or Commercial or Institutional or multi-family or hostel / hotel?

What is the location? There is a difference of 15-25% between construction costs in various parts of the country.

What is the soil condition?

How high is the building?

What is the structural system to be used?

Before these are known it is impossible to give a cost.
architect is offline  
Old 8th January 2018, 12:43   #708
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,090
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

I also have same questions as I am planning to start a construction the relivent details are
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
What is the building? Residential or Commercial or Institutional or multi-family or hostel / hotel?
Residential

Quote:
What is the location? There is a difference of 15-25% between construction costs in various parts of the country.
Bangalore
Quote:
What is the soil condition?
Don't know, is there any specific test which needs to be done ?
Soil is normal looking not disturbed for many years this was agricultural land some 20 years back.
Not black cotton soil if that was question it is red /yellow in color.

Quote:
How high is the building?
Option A , Ground +1 floor with a basement car park for atleast 2 cars
Option B, Ground +1 floor + 1 room at the top
Option C, A+B if it fits in my budget

It all depends on how much it will cost.

What is the basement parking construction cost ? I am thinking of half exposed basement for keeping it airy and dry that is if suppose for 10 feet clearing 5 feet is below ground level and 5 is above .

Quote:
What is the structural system to be used?
Open to ideas , I have been reading a lot about GFRG and keen on it due to environmental benefits as I understand there are internal RCC Columns.

Alternatively RCC support with AAC hollow /Solid blocks / Fly Ash bricks.

However not keen on alternatives such as compressed mud blocks or porotherm hollow bricks except for niche decorate use where exposed brick work may be needed.

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th January 2018 at 12:48.
amitk26 is offline  
Old 8th January 2018, 13:11   #709
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 54
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
What is the building? Residential or Commercial or Institutional or multi-family or hostel / hotel?
Residential

Quote:
What is the location? There is a difference of 15-25% between construction costs in various parts of the country.
Hyderabad

Quote:
What is the soil condition?
Semi rocky

Quote:
How high is the building?
Stilt/Parking plus 4 floors

Quote:
What is the structural system to be used?
I'm not well versed with structural system. Best thing I could say is whatever the architect or the structural engineer suggests for the home.

Quote:
Before these are known it is impossible to give a cost.
My bad bro. I should have been more clear.
wannabelean is offline  
Old 8th January 2018, 20:58   #710
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 791
Thanked: 585 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Option A , Ground +1 floor with a basement car park for atleast 2 cars
Option B, Ground +1 floor + 1 room at the top
Option C, A+B if it fits in my budget
Considering you are building a new house, wouldn't it be better to have the car parking in the Ground instead of basement? You wouldn't have to worry about stuff like flooding or waterlogging.
Jaguar is online now  
Old 8th January 2018, 21:40   #711
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 404
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I also have same questions as I am planning to start a construction the relivent details are

Residential

Bangalore
Don't know, is there any specific test which needs to be done ?
Soil is normal looking not disturbed for many years this was agricultural land some 20 years back.
Not black cotton soil if that was question it is red /yellow in color.

Option A , Ground +1 floor with a basement car park for atleast 2 cars
Option B, Ground +1 floor + 1 room at the top
Option C, A+B if it fits in my budget

It all depends on how much it will cost.

What is the basement parking construction cost ? I am thinking of half exposed basement for keeping it airy and dry that is if suppose for 10 feet clearing 5 feet is below ground level and 5 is above .

Open to ideas , I have been reading a lot about GFRG and keen on it due to environmental benefits as I understand there are internal RCC Columns.

Alternatively RCC support with AAC hollow /Solid blocks / Fly Ash bricks.

However not keen on alternatives such as compressed mud blocks or porotherm hollow bricks except for niche decorate use where exposed brick work may be needed.
Full contract to Builder involving Pillars costs running around 1600/Sqft to 1700/Sqft (in Gottigere area). One house coming up right in front of our house at Rs1600/sqft started in Feb 2017. Same builder is quoting 1650 sqft now. This is with m-sand + solid-blocks.

Point to consider are,
  • Sqft area negotiated at where ever roof comes. So car parking and upper floors considered same.
  • Most builder quote are vague unless you ask upfront what is involved. Like what kind of wood work (window, door) are done. Tiles, granite used, cement/iron is used, or fittings (plumbing, bathroom, electrical) fittings.
  • Usual quote involves the following
    • RCC structure with 6" slab thickness. all roof height is @ 10"
    • All outer wall is 9" and inner wall at 4" thickness, using solid blocks.
    • Main door and pooja is with teak door, rest are with sal wood.
    • ISI certified electric wires, anchor roma fitting
    • CPVC pipes (brand usually differs), Jaquar/Ess Ess fitting, Parryware WC.
    • Granite for stairs@ Rs 55/sqft, All floor tiles @ 45/sqft, bathroom tiles @ 35/sqft,
    • Paint: Asian paint ace for exteri or (rough sponge finish) , nice finish Birla putty + Asian paint Tractor
    • MS grill work for staircase railing
    • 4K ltr sump, 1k ltr water tank of syntex or equivalent.
    • Solar pipe connection to all bathrooms
    • while number of electric points in each room are limited, various from builder to builder.
Final costing entirely depends upon how much you differ from builder provided options, plus amount you spend on interiors.

Regarding car parking, how big is your plot. If it is 30 X 40, having parking below the ground is not advised.
RaguHolla is offline  
Old 8th January 2018, 22:09   #712
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Traveller
Posts: 143
Thanked: 277 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

GFRG panels have fascinated me from years. Other day saw an advertisement on FB of a Bangalore based company. Providing the link here, only for information & I have never contacted them except drooling their website for GFRG tech.

For contractor :
https://www.rathnaconstructions.in

For Panel :
http://www.frbl.co.in/products.html
ritz3645 is offline  
Old 9th January 2018, 08:22   #713
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,090
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Considering you are building a new house, wouldn't it be better to have the car parking in the Ground instead of basement? You wouldn't have to worry about stuff like flooding or waterlogging.
I want to maximise landscaping and not cover up whole plot area.
For preventing flooding thinking of raising the entrance first by around 12 to 18 inches and a downward ramp afterwards. Also searching about French drains and basement dumps to deal with flooding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Full contract to Builder involving Pillars costs running around 1600/Sqft to 1700/Sqft (in Gottigere area). One house coming up right in front of our house at Rs1600/sqft started in Feb 2017. Same builder is quoting 1650 sqft now. This is with m-sand + solid-blocks.
Thanks a lot Raghu,
does overall contract involve structural design and architecture design too

Quote:
Regarding car parking, how big is your plot. If it is 30 X 40, having parking below the ground is not advised.
Plot is bigger however what are reasons to avoid basement in small sites ?
I think I will be able to leave 10-12 feet in front if I go for basement parking.
amitk26 is offline  
Old 9th January 2018, 09:28   #714
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 404
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Thanks a lot Raghu,
does overall contract involve structural design and architecture design too
While overall contract involves some sort of design, elevation but with zero diagrams! A proper architecture design requires you to hire Architect separately (3% of over all estimate is the cost). While this 3% is at standard rate (say 1600/sqft of roof area), while if your cost changes also there won't be additional charge.

However hiring architect means, he starts over all design keeping interior in mind, best utilize the space you have. You can do multiple sitting before you finalize every part of your house, plus he does check quality of construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Plot is bigger however what are reasons to avoid basement in small sites ?
I think I will be able to leave 10-12 feet in front if I go for basement parking.
While constructing my house, my architect told me this. In order to give proper inclination, one needs 5ft length for every 1ft of depth. If you need 5ft depth means ramp length will be 25ft. If the width of ramp is 10ft, basically you have ramp at 10' X 25'. In 30X40 polt, almost 1/3rd is taken up by ramp.

Of course one could do, ramp like your climbing hill (which mostly done!), by law not advised. Plus one has to dig more (for footing), cost of construction will still be more (usual contract covers digging @ 7')! If you are doing complete basement parking, usually one can negotiate cost of parking area @ 55% of sqft rates.
RaguHolla is offline  
Old 9th January 2018, 19:12   #715
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,090
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
While overall contract involves some sort of design, elevation but with zero diagrams! A proper architecture design requires you to hire Architect separately
Thanks a lot Raghu for heads up, now need to look for good Architect if anyone has references in Bangalore please provide.
amitk26 is offline  
Old 9th January 2018, 20:19   #716
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 404
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Thanks a lot Raghu for heads up, now need to look for good Architect if anyone has references in Bangalore please provide.
Most architect have restriction working within certain radius. While they do break (the restriction) for close referrals, most stick to I will do within certain distance! This is because they have to visit site during roofing and pillar work, most would want to limit travel distance. And being part of Bengaluru you don't introduction to our traffic.

Which part of Bengaluru your plot exists, which makes it easy to refer the architect.
RaguHolla is offline  
Old 9th January 2018, 20:41   #717
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,090
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Most architect have restriction working within certain radius. While they do break (the restriction) for close referrals, most stick to I will do within certain distance! This is because they have to visit site during roofing and pillar work, most would want to limit travel distance. And being part of Bengaluru you don't introduction to our traffic.

Which part of Bengaluru your plot exists, which makes it easy to refer the architect.
Brookfield /whitefiled area
amitk26 is offline  
Old 9th January 2018, 22:40   #718
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 401
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Man, if architects are charging 3% for small sites then I am in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
While overall contract involves some sort of design, elevation but with zero diagrams! A proper architecture design requires you to hire Architect separately (3% of over all estimate is the cost). While this 3% is at standard rate (say 1600/sqft of roof area), while if your cost changes also there won't be additional charge.
The charge depends on the scope of work and the overall size of the project because the effort required for a small house or a large house ends up being almost the same (same number of drawings, meetings, site visits etc.). So normally one charges more for a small project and less for a larger project, and every architect has his own rates. You can also ask for a flat square foot rate rather than a % fee as it eliminates bias when choosing materials.

INR 1,600/sf is very tight if you want a good finish in Bangalore today. I would say INR 2,000/sf is a better thumb rule if you want to include official and unofficial sanction/road cutting/KEB etc. costs.

The main cost of the building is in the finishes. If you decide what is important to you and choose wisely, you can make big savings in the overall cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
While constructing my house, my architect told me this. In order to give proper inclination, one needs 5ft length for every 1ft of depth. If you need 5ft depth means ramp length will be 25ft. If the width of ramp is 10ft, basically you have ramp at 10' X 25'. In 30X40 polt, almost 1/3rd is taken up by ramp.
The bylaws say the slope has to be a minimum of 1:8, i.e for every 1' rise a 8' length. On a 30'x40' plot its impossible to get a ramp unless you decide to violate.

Good Luck.
keroo1099 is offline  
Old 10th January 2018, 00:31   #719
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 404
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Man, if architects are charging 3% for small sites then I am in trouble.
As I said it various with Architect. While 3% is minimum I found while I constructed my house in 2013! Things may have changed now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
INR 1,600/sf is very tight if you want a good finish in Bangalore today. I would say INR 2,000/sf is a better thumb rule if you want to include official and unofficial sanction/road cutting/KEB etc. costs.
I listed what you get for Rs 1600/sqft (which is bare minimum). It costed more than Rs 2000/sqft when I finished the house (again 2013). Cost balloons once structure is complete.

e.g: Most builder quote Jaquar Continental fitting and parry ware/hind-ware WC. If change you it single liver diverter with shower add additional 8K, rain shower add 3K, need hand shower add 1~2k (assuming you will go with good Jaquar range, if you choose Kholer or Artizan brand cost will be even more). If you choose Italian collection WC instead of Parryware, add aditional 5K. Concealed flush tank add 3K. Want to have counter top washbasin, add 3K + tap additional 1 K. Want Tub, jacuzzi (ranges 10K to 80K). No a single bathroom itself can add additional 20 to 70K!
RaguHolla is offline  
Old 10th January 2018, 12:22   #720
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 458
Thanked: 385 Times
Default

Hello, need some advice on marble polishing. My rental house dining room and kitchen are marble laid and are pretty dirty. When I moved in I didn't notice it and now I will need to spend on this. Should I attempt to do this myself since we have a lot of furniture or call in experts? I was told that it will cost 15 Rs per Sq feet and I estimate that this needs to be done for about 600sq ft. A quick Google showed me angle grinders and marble polish etc.
diyguy is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks