Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2017, 10:56   #616
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My cousins got the tiles installed in their kitchen after the wiring was complete. As a result the switch boxes are now inside by a good 1.5 inches or so. Please advise how to handle this preferably as a DIY.
Use a combination of long screws and outlet spacers like this.
Here's a guide on how to use the spacers -

Last edited by NPV : 5th October 2017 at 10:59.
Old 5th October 2017, 15:57   #617
BHPian

I stay in an apartment which is around 10 years old.

1. Bathroom #1 : Last year the flat which is above mine was sold and the new owner made changes in the bathroom and installed a new WC. A few months later there is a seepage in my flat's bathroom and black patches have appeared - apparently fungus formation.

2. Bathroom #2 : The other bathroom has also got seepage but that has existed since the time the previous owner was in possession of the flat. I had complained multiple times but the previous owner never fixed it. That bathroom roof has turned fully black and small chips of cement are falling off in the bedroom which is adjacent to the bathroom. I suppose the water is seeping horizontally into the bedroom. When the new owner took possession, I informed him and he responded by removing the tiles and checking the sanitation lines. A pipe was broken and he got it fixed but the issues persists.

The headaches :

#1. Is there a way to know whether the sanitation pipes or the water pipes are causing the leakages?

#2. I already paid half the charges to get the repairs done in Bathroom #2 even though not my fault. Now for the first bathroom, the owner may again ask me to pay for the repairs, though no guarantee of fixing it correctly. How long should I bear the burden when the owner keeps making changes in bathroom resulting in leakages?

#3. Any good engineer reference (I stay in North Bengaluru) who can check and pinpoint the exact source of leakage? Any technology which can detect leakages?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th October 2017 at 13:42.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:41   #618
BHPian

Re: Interior Emulsion? Choice n Advise??

Any recommendations/suggestions for good emulsion for interior wall painting?

The tenants have left, and the place needs a repaint and am looking around for some decent emulsions for getting the place redone.

Please advise!!
Old 9th October 2017, 13:18   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

The tenants have left, and the place needs a repaint and am looking around for some decent emulsions for getting the place redone.

Please advise!!
In general you have to clean up and paint the interiors every time a tenant leaves. So it all depends on how long each tenant stays. If it is less than 2/3 years then a good oil bound distemper does the job. If the tenants stay longer then a more expensive waterproof paint job makes sense.

Regarding quality, most major companies - Berger, Asian, Nerolac, have similar quality, and the choice depends on the exact colour you want (and of course the price).
Old 9th October 2017, 17:39   #620
BHPian

Hi, I am looking for a home painting. But there's some leakage in the living room and its quite evident. The leakage is from the outside and any treatment from inside has been ineffective till date.

This time I am planning to go for tiles on that wall.
Would that be a good idea?
Has anyone tried doing the same and does it look good besides solving the purpose?

If yes, then what type and size of tiles do I need to look forward to?

Any suggestions welcome.
Old 9th October 2017, 18:59   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Hi, I am looking for a home painting. But there's some leakage in the living room and its quite evident. The leakage is from the outside and any treatment from inside has been ineffective till date.

This time I am planning to go for tiles on that wall.
Would that be a good idea?
Has anyone tried doing the same and does it look good besides solving the purpose?

If yes, then what type and size of tiles do I need to look forward to?

Any suggestions welcome.
Putting tiles before getting rid of leaks is a recipe for disaster, as the damp will travel and surface at some other place. There is also a chance of tiles coming loose and falling off due to persistent damp.

For stopping leaks there is only one fool proof method - injecting chemicals at a one meter grid on the wall and a part of the ceiling. Dr Fixit is one reliable source and you will find contractors at their site who do the job in your city.
Old 9th October 2017, 19:01   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I stay in an apartment which is around 10 years old.

1. Bathroom #1 : Last year the flat which is above mine was sold and the new owner made changes in the bathroom and installed a new WC. A few months later there is a seepage in my flat's bathroom and black patches have appeared - apparently fungus formation.

2. Bathroom #2 : The other bathroom has also got seepage but that has existed since the time the previous owner was in possession of the flat. I had complained multiple times but the previous owner never fixed it. That bathroom roof has turned fully black and small chips of cement are falling off in the bedroom which is adjacent to the bathroom. I suppose the water is seeping horizontally into the bedroom. When the new owner took possession, I informed him and he responded by removing the tiles and checking the sanitation lines. A pipe was broken and he got it fixed but the issues persists.

The headaches :

#1. Is there a way to know whether the sanitation pipes or the water pipes are causing the leakages?

#2. I already paid half the charges to get the repairs done in Bathroom #2 even though not my fault. Now for the first bathroom, the owner may again ask me to pay for the repairs, though no guarantee of fixing it correctly. How long should I bear the burden when the owner keeps making changes in bathroom resulting in leakages?

#3. Any good engineer reference (I stay in North Bengaluru) who can check and pinpoint the exact source of leakage? Any technology which can detect leakages?
Get a contractor to inject chemicals (Dr Fixit is one of them) on the walls and ceiling of both your bathrooms. Done properly with authorised contractor your problem will be solved once and for all.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:41   #623
BHPian

Hello, I have a 12*12" opening for an exhaust fan. Should I be purchasing a fan of the same dimension or larger? I have ordered two Usha fans with this exact outer dimension but am getting doubts and thought would enquire with experts here. The current gap is with an aluminum frame and is exactly 12x12
Old 10th October 2017, 10:28   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I have a 12*12" opening for an exhaust fan. Should I be purchasing a fan of the same dimension or larger? I have ordered two Usha fans with this exact outer dimension but am getting doubts and thought would enquire with experts here. The current gap is with an aluminum frame and is exactly 12x12
Ideally the opening should match the fan blade diameter, so a 12x12 opening will need a 12" diameter fan blade. The casing will be larger so that the mounting holes are at least 1/2" from the edges.
Old 10th October 2017, 10:59   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Ideally the opening should match the fan blade diameter, so a 12x12 opening will need a 12" diameter fan blade. The casing will be larger so that the mounting holes are at least 1/2" from the edges.
Got it, thanks Aroy. Gotta apologize and return the fans.
Have initiated the Amazon return. Love Amazon for this .
Another question since this is an apartment on the third floor, I am going to find it difficult to screw the fan from the other side. Will need to look for a unit that permits screwing from the front end rather than the back.

Last edited by diyguy : 10th October 2017 at 11:11.
Old 10th October 2017, 14:01   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got it, thanks Aroy. Gotta apologize and return the fans.
Have initiated the Amazon return. Love Amazon for this .
Another question since this is an apartment on the third floor, I am going to find it difficult to screw the fan from the other side. Will need to look for a unit that permits screwing from the front end rather than the back.
Most of the old style fans can be mounted from front
https://www.pepperfry.com/orient-pow...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just use an 8mm plastic plug to anchor the screw
Old 10th October 2017, 15:30   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Please advise!!
If you are planning the live yourself go for Asian Paint Interior emulsion or Royal(for rich colors). Done properly it gives a good finish and both are resistant to mild wet cleaning.
If you are planning to let out again. Go for contractors who do the job in jiffy with less headache for you. I got it done for my 3 bhk(1400sft carpet area) flat recently. I made the new tenants supervise the work for their satisfaction(to avoid future cribbing). It costed me 4500 for deep cleaning and 10500 for single coat wall painting.

Last edited by aadya : 10th October 2017 at 15:31. Reason: spelling
Old 11th October 2017, 08:31   #628
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
In my kitchen, I have a US Made Microwave Owen connected through a Step Down Transformer. I have been using this in India for a really long time. Recently, I noticed that when I turn on or off the Transformer, the other lights in my kitchen flicker momentarily. I moved to this place 2 years back. I am pretty sure, I didn't have this issue in my earlier home. In this home, I am not so sure whether I had this issue earlier or if it's there only for the last few months.

What is the reason for this & how can it be fixed?
I took a better look at this & now I think I was wrong. It doesn't seem to be because of the Microwave oven or the step down transformer. (Sorry Aroy & Prowler).

There is only one light bulb in the room which flickers when the Microwave/Transformer is turned on. And it sometimes even flickers even when I turn the bulb itself on without the Microwave/Transformer being on. And I don't think it's a faulty bulb. I exchanged the bulb with bulbs in my flat & all of them flicker when fitted onto that particular bulb fixture.

So there is a bulb fixture where the bulb flickers when starting up and even when the transformer/microwave is started.

What could be wrong with the fixture?
Old 11th October 2017, 08:34   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check wiring. Open both ends and tighten the screws. Try with different holder. If not, there may be damage to the wire itself somewhere.
Old 11th October 2017, 13:32   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took a better look at this & now I think I was wrong. It doesn't seem to be because of the Microwave oven or the step down transformer. (Sorry Aroy & Prowler).

There is only one light bulb in the room which flickers when the Microwave/Transformer is turned on. And it sometimes even flickers even when I turn the bulb itself on without the Microwave/Transformer being on. And I don't think it's a faulty bulb. I exchanged the bulb with bulbs in my flat & all of them flicker when fitted onto that particular bulb fixture.

So there is a bulb fixture where the bulb flickers when starting up and even when the transformer/microwave is started.

A loose connection on either side of the switch is the most probable cause.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks