Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 06:28   #1816
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post

Do any of you know what this sheet is called? It looks like sandwiched sheets with a square pattern
LEXAN multiwall polycarbonate sheet.
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 06:30   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Today I saw this sheet at some apartment which seems to solve my problem.

Do any of you know what this sheet is called? It looks like sandwiched sheets with a square pattern.

Attachment 2253207

- Girish
It is Polycarbonate Sheet. Very strong, durable and long lasting. Comes in various sizes and colour. The type you are showing is specially if you need some thermal and acoustic insulation, otherwise it is single layered with diamond cut pattern to prevent it being see through.
Remember the plastic water bottles we discard daily. We cannot break them. It is the same material.

What you are showing is this

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20220102195342_google.jpg

What I would suggest is this .(colour is your option)

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screenshot_20220102200509_google.jpg

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 3rd January 2022 at 06:41.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 07:45   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post

What you are showing is this

Attachment 2253281

What I would suggest is this .(colour is your option)

Attachment 2253280

Thank you very much. Since my requirement is only as a cover to prevent rain water, I will check out the latter.

Thank you again, highly appreciated.

- Girish
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:06   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
However, if you would rather have a uniform color then painting is the way out.

I guess you meant terracota jali-type bricks which have openings in them right? I have used the same in my house and can show you some examples if it helps.
We never thought of painting it. The contractor advised it (probably to keep it uniform like you have mentioned).

If it's not too much trouble please post some pics. Also, how long ago was yours done and have you noticed any issues?

Thanks for the help.
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:16   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
We never thought of painting it. The contractor advised it (probably to keep it uniform like you have mentioned).

If it's not too much trouble please post some pics. Also, how long ago was yours done and have you noticed any issues?

Thanks for the help.
The jali type bricks are used for my balcony area as you can see here. It's been painted, and it's been 10 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img_20220103_091442.jpg  

deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:18   #1821
One
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much. Since my requirement is only as a cover to prevent rain water, I will check out the latter.

- Girish
One thing you may want to check before installation is if noise is made because of rain drops pattering on them.
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:36   #1822
One
BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to check if there is anyway to reduce maintenance expense on these terrocota bricks (do they actually require early painting/polishing to maintain their look)?
Had used terracotta tiles internally and got them painted. They lasted till boredom.

Externally not sure about quality of terracotta you have access to, if it is glazed or not but bricks (clay) the way you have indicated in the picture is used across the country in different environments. You may want to Google "Laurie Baker houses" to see how they weather and contact "Costford" to know more about the quality of bricks you can get access to.

Another option to get that look is to go for brick cladding tiles. These are applied on top of the structure you build and have the same look even though the material might be stone etc.

Last edited by One : 3rd January 2022 at 16:40.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:55   #1823
BHPian

Quote:

- Girish
The sheet comes in rolls of standard width of 3,4 and 6 Feet. Length is cut to your requirement by the vendor. Get the sheet cut to your requirements or you may need an Angle Grinder with Cutter Blade to cut it yourself. It is normally fixed with Hex Head - Self Drilling Self Threaded Screws with Rubber Washers and suitable Drill Machine.
Old 3rd January 2022, 18:15   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Do any of you know what this sheet is called? It looks like sandwiched sheets with a square pattern.
- Girish
This is polycarbonate sheet and is largely used for roofing. They come in various colors and thickness. They come with a 10 year warranty and are UV proof. Light weight and are easy to maintain and change in the future. Doesn't require a heavy structures to fix them.

Quote:
Need some advice from experienced members here. We need to redo the flooring on our front porch (veranda) since the granite there has displaced due to direct sunlight and consequent heat.
See if you can get wooden claddings that are Sun and Rain Proof. Fundermax and Archid Ply have these and I have used the archidply variant for my home.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd January 2022 at 18:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:14   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Today I saw this sheet at some apartment which seems to solve my problem.

Attachment 2253207

- Girish
The sandwiched Lexan sheets are extremely poor when it comes to durability. We have these sheets extensively used in our apartment as skylight. In a matter of 5 years the sheets developed extensive damages from hail stones and temperature variations. These are visible in the pictures you have posted. Once it cracks it is difficult to fix the leaks and water will get collected inside due to the sandwiched texture. Better to go for single layer thicker polycarbonate sheets.

Last edited by poloman : 3rd January 2022 at 19:16.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:29   #1826
BHPian

Possibly because the sheet thickness is quite low. I have installed 3mm thick sheet and it withstood a granite wall cladding stone fall from good height, with relatively low damage
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:55   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Possibly because the sheet thickness is quite low. I have installed 3mm thick sheet and it withstood a granite wall cladding stone fall from good height, with relatively low damage
Possibly, but water getting collected between two layers is still a concern. We are witnessing huge leaks. Acoustic charactristics during rain is only marginally higher than single sheet.
May be >3mm and better material.quality will help.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:32   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Possibly, but water getting collected between two layers is still a concern. We are witnessing huge leaks. Acoustic charactristics during rain is only marginally higher than single sheet.
I too saw this. When I pressed the sheet, lot of water poured out.

Since the usage is not critical, but only limited to top of the extended grill outside, 5 years should be alright.

Will check out the thick sheet also as you suggested. But won't it be a problem if I want to bend it.
Old 3rd January 2022, 22:04   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I thought I had posted a reply, but I guess forgot to hit enter. Duh

LEXAN is a generic name that every T, D and H uses for polycarbonate sheets in India. The original product was by GE plastics and is used the world over without major issues, as it is UV stabilized which prevents yellowing and cracking that allows, water to pond and drip.

I concur that acoustic properties are very poor and really won't improve much using thicker material.
Old 3rd January 2022, 23:56   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I thought I had posted a reply, but I guess forgot to hit enter. Duh

LEXAN is a generic name that every T, D and H uses for polycarbonate sheets in India. The original product was by GE plastics and is used the world over without major issues, as it is UV stabilized which prevents yellowing and cracking that allows, water to pond and drip.

I concur that acoustic properties are very poor and really won't improve much using thicker material.
I am sorry that I did not crop Lexan off. As I am visiting US, my search picked up US product

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks