Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2021, 09:55   #1756
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

About to finalize the contract for my apartment renovation in Bangalore - a bit worried about the new COVID variant and potential lock downs.

Folks in Bangalore - are you hearing or seeing any localized shutdowns?

Anyone here whose apartment/renovation work got stuck during the previous lockdowns - what was your experience? Is there anything I can do minimize the financial risk in the event of a lockdown.

Note: I was lucky enough to get the next door apartment on rent as the tenants just moved out - we fast tracked our renovation plans as were not sure that we would get an opportunity again where we could supervise the work being done and also not have to deal with a proper "shifting"
curiousElf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 10:04   #1757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousElf View Post
Folks in Bangalore - are you hearing or seeing any localized shutdowns?
During the last lock-down, construction and interior work was allowed by the Govt. Situation is of concern with lots of positive cases reported yesterday, but dont worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMBLR View Post
We have Oyster make bathtub which is 6 years old and found peeling problem (on surface) some areas I do not have any idea why it is happening like this, any leads or do I have option of DIY instead calling expert and spending more money for that!!
I used Tub Finisher by Rustoleum. But not sure of its availability in India (I mean the genuine products)

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th November 2021 at 16:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 10:10   #1758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousElf View Post
About to finalize the contract for my apartment renovation in Bangalore - a bit worried about the new COVID variant and potential lock downs.
IMO, you are thinking a bit too much. My suggestion - just get the work done right away. You have started to pay rent, and sooner you complete the renovation - the better. You will be right there during renovation - so that's a big advantage.

There are localized cases, but nothing yet to get alarmed about. Containment zone will be first before any large scale lockdown - in case things get worse. But that's something that will affect every one. Hopefully wont get that bad. We dont know the future situation, so my take - let the work start and hopefully it will be done soon and you will be back in your apt.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 07:50   #1759
BANNED

Question about Bathroom locks - I have one which looks like this Name:  lock.png
Views: 357
Size:  39.7 KB

The problem with this is that it sometimes gets locked from inside (probably when the door is slammed shut from outside) when there is no one inside. The key is never used so the keys gets lost before this happens or you can't find it & then you have to either call a key maker or break the lock.

Is there a better solution to this - i.e. some such lock which cannot get accidentaly locked from inside?
Old 29th November 2021, 10:26   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have one which looks like this
I got locked inside the bathroom once due to malfunctioning of this type of locks (got jammed). Scary thing was I was alone at home (locked from inside), had loud music playing, and the apartment block had just few tenants. Door was solid and heavy and all I had was a tiny grooming scissor inside. It took me 45 minutes of to break open the lock.

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th November 2021 at 10:28.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 10:34   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question about Bathroom locks - I have one which looks like this
Oh God! Nightmares due to that lock. My uncle's house used to have these and invariably i used to get locked inside the bathroom as a kid.

Please replace the locks and save yourself the trouble
Old 29th November 2021, 11:00   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Question about Bathroom locks - I have one which looks like this Attachment 2238652

The problem with this is that it sometimes gets locked from inside (probably when the door is slammed shut from outside) when there is no one inside. The key is never used so the keys gets lost before this happens or you can't find it & then you have to either call a key maker or break the lock.

Is there a better solution to this - i.e. some such lock which cannot get accidentaly locked from inside?
One solution for this is to have normal handle type locks and door latch at the top or at a height not reachable to small kids. That way no one would get locked inside. Nowadays, the door handle type locks are costlier than the round ones which builders provide normally.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:47   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Question about Bathroom locks - I have one which looks like this Attachment 2238652

In the case of bathroom doors, it's best to use keyless systems. We have a similar looking door knob, which can be opened using a coin on the outside handle. So in any emergency situation one is able to easily access the bathroom even if it's been locked from the inside.

Godrej Locking Solutions and Systems Keyless Stainless Steel Cylindrical Lock - Silver https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0191SIYY0/...813RPQ6868T0R0

Last edited by ask99 : 29th November 2021 at 11:49. Reason: Added relevant product link
ask99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 12:25   #1764
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
In the case of bathroom doors, it's best to use keyless systems. We have a similar looking door knob, which can be opened using a coin on the outside handle. So in any emergency situation one is able to easily access the bathroom even if it's been locked from the inside.

Godrej Locking Solutions and Systems Keyless Stainless Steel Cylindrical Lock - Silver https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0191SIYY0/...813RPQ6868T0R0
Do you know if these sizes are standard - i.e. will it fit the existing hole in my bathroom?

Last edited by carboy : 29th November 2021 at 12:28.
Old 29th November 2021, 12:34   #1765
BHPian

Quote:

We still run the risk of getting locked in when we are alone and the lock gets jammed. Been in this situation earlier and was advised to get normal handles with door latch at the top of the doors. These locks even the ones which we can open with coins are still notorious for getting jammed at times making it a pain to open.
Old 29th November 2021, 12:44   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know if these sizes are standard - i.e. will it fit the existing hole in my bathroom?
Sorry. Can't help you with that, although one would assume they follow some kind of standard. At worst I'd say it shouldn't need much modification to the existing cutouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
We still run the risk of getting locked in when we are alone and the lock gets jammed. Been in this situation earlier and was advised to get normal handles with door latch at the top of the doors. These locks even the ones which we can open with coins are still notorious for getting jammed at times making it a pain to open.
Fortunately we haven't faced any jamming issues in over 5 years using these. Maybe it depends on the quality of the product and brand used.

An internal bolt/latch becomes a barrier to entry in any emergency situation. So I guess it's about weighing up which risk is more worthwhile. An interesting decision to make!

Last edited by ask99 : 29th November 2021 at 12:47.
Old 29th November 2021, 13:05   #1767
BHPian

^^

On the subject at hand: Three possible solutions

1. A bathroom with two doors with different locks. Probability of disaster due to Murphy's law is reduced by half.

2. Bathroom window with an emergency exit.

3. A pre prepared paper wrapped on a stone with words " HELP I AM STUCK" with an emergency call number might do the trick.

S.No 2 obviously will not work if you are on the 24th floor.

PS : A more drastic dog movement cutout on the bathroom door is an individual choice.
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 14:08   #1768
BHPian

Quote:

Try using a thin flat screw driver in the slot shown and rotate clockwise. The push button on the other side should pop open. You might need to jiggle the knob while rotating to get it to release.
Old 29th November 2021, 15:16   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I got locked inside the bathroom once due to malfunctioning of this type of locks (got jammed). Scary thing was I was alone at home (locked from inside), had loud music playing, and the apartment block had just few tenants. Door was solid and heavy and all I had was a tiny grooming scissor inside. It took me 45 minutes of to break open the lock.
Bit off topic. There was a movie based on similar situation starring Rajkumar Rao. 'Trapped' is the name of the movie IIRC.
Old 29th November 2021, 21:48   #1770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Question about Bathroom locks - I have one which looks like this ... The key is never used so the keys gets lost before this happens or you can't find it & then you have to either call a key maker or break the lock.
Quote:
We have a similar looking door knob, which can be opened
using a coin on the outside handle.
There's only two of us in the house. We very, very rarely happen to barge in on each other in the loo, and simply never lock the doors.

We do not have the push-button type. I come across a lot of those, no longer working in hotel toilets, so I doubt their reliability.

We have Europa handles/locks, and the toilet doors have a turnable latch. The provide emergency "keys" but a simple screwdriver will work just as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks