Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2014, 16:03   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Just came across this link - http://www.playgroundonline.com/cate...n/Rackets.aspx

Mayank; may be able to confirm if the rates are good or not.
This is very expensive site. Infact not many online sites offer good deal. Just walk into any good sports shop and you ll be surprised to know the prices of any goods. example: shb01 yellow shoes which Lee chong wei wore last yr are priced at 10k on some sites but I had bought them for 7.5k in stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Doubles only -
finally, after around a month, today I thought that I was finally getting the right hang of footwork (so that I don't run). Along with footwork, what was helping was the positioning to receive smashes in doubles - we always used to split when anything was tossed up, but I used to still miss lots of shots. I would be standing parallel to the net - what works better is to stand with the outer leg slightly closer to the net, so that both players together form a semi circle.
-
U (where the dash is the net).

Still haven't got the footwork for the overhead backhand - I end up in awkward positions - I start with thinking that I will reach the correct place to hit an around the head shot, but end up with the shuttle further behind me (at which point I am forced to just hit a random blind backhand where I am looking straight at the back line). Its a judgement (and consequently stamina) issue, and I have to stop getting flustered about deep backhands for it to work.

My low forehand serves are okay, but need to start practicing the low backhand serve which gives the option of flicking it if the other player is looking to attack.

After these two are sorted, I will start work on the smashes - they don't have any bite, and I think its more of an technique issue.
May I ask since when have you been playing? I can comment on it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arepalli99 View Post
What's the best yonex shuttle to use for practice? What's the difference between the various Mavis brands?
If you can afford feather shuttles then
For tournaments: yonex AS40/50
Serious Practice: yonex AS 10/20/30 OR AS2/3/4
Casual practice: RSL 3 OR 4 OR 5(cheap)

Nylon:
Mavis 2000 for singles but it is bit fast I feel
club player n recreational/local tournament- Mavis 350/500

Regular practice- try cosco 777.

please note: Dont try any other Mavis or other brand if you want to recreate or improve your game. But if you just want to play for sake of playing it then there are shuttles with LED light installed into them

Last edited by Eddy : 14th January 2014 at 19:13. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 13th January 2014, 12:12   #197
BHPian

Re: The right way to play Badminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadoos baby View Post
This is very expensive site. Infact not many online sites offer good deal. Just walk into any good sports shop and you ll be surprised to know the prices of any goods. example: shb01 yellow shoes which Lee chong wei wore last yr are priced at 10k on some sites but I had bought them for 7.5k in stores.

Point noted KB!

I have recently started playing - not that i am anywhere close to some of the experts who have given technical advise.

Right now I am all ears to people to chat on how to play better, what 'to do' and what 'not to do'; again I would not be able to vouch for those tips, but its good to understand the nuances on how some people have been playing so well and people like me who are just hobbyists.

I have read most of mayank's tips; unfortunately we do not have a enclosed court and have to play on concrete. My knees and ankles have been aching a bit and am looking for some decent shoes to take the impact of both the stamping of the foot while picking up a drop-shot and also whilst moving around the court.

Would you be able to advise what type of shoes would be ideal, noting that they are concrete paver blocks.

S

Last edited by saildrive : 13th January 2014 at 12:16. Reason: remove this - repeated below
Old 13th January 2014, 12:15   #198
BHPian

Quote:

Point noted KB!

I have recently started playing - not that i am anywhere close to some of the experts who have given technical advise.

Right now I am all ears to people to chat on how to play better, what 'to do' and what 'not to do'; again I would not be able to vouch for those tips, but its good to understand the nuances on how some people have been playing so well and people like me who are just hobbyists.

I have read most of mayank's tips; unfortunately we do not have a enclosed court and have to play on concrete. My knees and ankles have been aching a bit and am looking for some decent shoes to take the impact of both the stamping of the foot while picking up a drop-shot and also whilst moving around the court.

Would you be able to advise what type of shoes (inexpensive) would be ideal? Noting that they are concrete paver blocks

S
Old 13th January 2014, 13:44   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Add to this Flypower 76 & 77,Adidas(the new entrant into the market) and Victor No:5 are also seriously good shuttles.All in the range of INR 780-1000 price bracket.
Old 13th January 2014, 14:40   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Add to this Flypower 76 & 77,Adidas(the new entrant into the market) and Victor No:5 are also seriously good shuttles.All in the range of INR 780-1000 price bracket.

Quote:

Would you be able to advise what type of shoes (inexpensive) would be ideal? Noting that they are concrete paver blocks

S
Try the Yonex SC5(arnd INR 4750-5K),they have adequate cushioning and protection for your feet against the concrete.Or else you could check out any of the Power Cushion range of Yonex(around 2700-3500).Lining Shoes(3-4500k) are predominantly hard soled so you wouldnt get any protection or cushioning effect,Saga Pro of Lining is slightly better off(around 3600-4k),so is the case with Asics Gel(inr3500) as well.
Old 13th January 2014, 14:44   #201
BHPian

Thanks Ranjitp1

So does that mean I should look at 'power cushion' as the criteria to choose the shoes to move /play on concrete?

S
Old 13th January 2014, 15:12   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjitp1

So does that mean I should look at 'power cushion' as the criteria to choose the shoes to move /play on concrete?

S
There is no shoes made to play on concrete.

Whatever shoes you buy,the sole would wear off before you know when you play on concrete.Its just that the power cushion has slightly more cushioning than the rest so it would give you that extra bit of cushioning when you land on your feet.Power Cushion is just a line of shoes of yonex,you could also check out the World Champ line which also has ok kind of cushioning at budget prices.

You could check this thread out for more info on shoes http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...of-Yonex-shoes

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 13th January 2014 at 15:23.
Old 13th January 2014, 18:41   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Point noted KB!

Would you be able to advise what type of shoes would be ideal, noting that they are concrete paver blocks.

S
Hi, All were beginners at one point of time. so welcome aboard buddy.
Look, two things are very very important in this game and dont and I mean really dont overlook them.
1) Good pair of shoes
2)Good warm up session.

1) Invest in shoes more than racket. People talk about arcsaber 10 and Li ning 90 etc which are upwards of 8-9k but play with local brand shoes. Please dont. Again budget is always a constraint but if you can pick up a good pair from Yonex or Li-ning it ll do your knee and ankle a big favour. Now again the question is which shoe, right!
a) Power cushion should be present
b) should be broad enough to accomodate your little finger comfortably.
c) right size of shoe- that should be 1 size bigger than your normal leather shoe.
d) Paver or concrete or wooden or mat.. its all the same for beginners. knees need to get trained for high impact in badminton hence best shoes are always good. One comment I usually hear is that if you use gumsole on concrete, it ll wear out. Its partly true, so lets say if life of your shoe on wooden court is 1 year, than on concrete it ll stay for may be 10 months but the knees it ll save is priceless. Its better than ending up giving badminton and be on crutches . So invest in shoe regardless of surface.

Yonex- starts at 5k upwards. You can go for these bit lateras you get better.
Li-ning- Titan series is best and cheapest for budget- 3.5k upwards. I personally like it.

2) Good warm up- stretching - gentle jog- sprints. More is better.

Remember, badminton is game with legs and not of arms
Old 13th January 2014, 18:46   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Victor is good. But I feel if budget is 900 or so then Lining shuttles are best for that price. They are used in local competitions as well. Li-NING is making some serious inroads into Yonex territory.
Old 13th January 2014, 18:51   #205
BHPian

Quote:

Try the Yonex SC5(arnd INR 4750-5K),they have adequate cushioning and protection for your feet against the concrete.Or else you could check out any of the Power Cushion range of Yonex(around 2700-3500).Lining Shoes(3-4500k) are predominantly hard soled so you wouldnt get any protection or cushioning effect,Saga Pro of Lining is slightly better off(around 3600-4k),so is the case with Asics Gel(inr3500) as well.
I agree. Though I would say stay with Li-ning and Yonex only. SC5 is seriously good . I just love it for its comfort,but it doesnt have lateral claw. But thats different topic altogether.you are very right in saying that saga pro is better than Titan. But really at 3.5 k its a good buy. If budget supports, Yonex is Yonex.
Old 13th January 2014, 19:12   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good warm up- stretching - gentle jog- sprints. More is better. Remember, badminton is game with legs and not of arms
like the coach says-never enter the court cold and never leave the court warm!
Old 14th January 2014, 13:26   #207

Quote:
Hi Friends,
About choosing racket for smashing- has to be head heavy but remember that if its head heavy you require considerable arm strength to swing the racket downwards. Go for Nanospeed 9900 . It is racket with even balance and quite forgiving too and good punch. Best part is the price slash. you may get it for as low as 8000 .
I had one NS9900 earlier, absolutely loved it. It is so light and great for doubles, especially for defending smashes. But it breaks easily too, can't stand even a moderate clash.
Last time I checked, price was around 11-12K, but if it has come down to 8K, definitely consider buying one again.
Old 14th January 2014, 13:52   #208
BHPian

Quote:
like the coach says-never enter the court cold and never leave the court warm!
Absolutely.
I usually play with Cosco 777.
But soon wanna switch to feathers again. Any shuttle cocks which reproduce behavior of yonex AS-10? Lining 60 is bit slow I think!?
Old 14th January 2014, 14:37   #209
BHPian

Thanks KB

Those are invaluable words; "Its better than ending up giving badminton and be on crutches . So invest in shoe regardless of surface"

Had been to Decathalon, Thane and they had this brand called Artengo (French Flagship Company); all their products are inhouse; here is the link http://www.decathlon.in/FOOTWEAR-ARTENGO-BS-720-MALE

Have a look and let me know if they are good; I am also looking out for Li ning and lets see; will end up buying a pair by Saturday; do you know any place where I can just walk in and pick them up.

Thanks for all your advice mate. Look forward to hearing from you .
Old 14th January 2014, 15:14   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KB Those are invaluable words; "Its better than ending up giving badminton and be on crutches . So invest in shoe regardless of surface" Had been to Decathalon, Thane and they had this brand called Artengo (French Flagship Company); all their products are inhouse; here is the link http://www.decathlon.in/FOOTWEAR-ARTENGO-BS-720-MALE Have a look and let me know if they are good; I am also looking out for Li ning and lets see; will end up buying a pair by Saturday; do you know any place where I can just walk in and pick them up. Thanks for all your advice mate. Look forward to hearing from you .
Glad to hear that you found tips useful.
Artengo are quite rubbish shoes. There is nothing they offer.. Not even grip. They cost around 1.7k to 2.5k I think. That's quite close to lining Titan which is far better. Also there is a brand vector x I think, they too have okish shoes. Artengo is a no no !
Decathlon godbunder road has good collection for Trekkers . Dint find anything tht is worthy of badminton or any other racket sport.
I have a pair of artengo.. I use it for tt sometimes when my other ones go for wash.

Most Viewed