Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 11:53   #1
BANNED

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Ok i feel a bit stupid opening this thread as i am a total noob when it comes to furniture.

I am looking for some decent Cane Wood Furniture in Bangalore. Any pointers?

Also is Cane == Bamboo all the time or do they use different types of wood? How to make out if it is genuinely bamboo?
Old 5th September 2009, 14:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Spit: Why cane furniture ? Not very comfortable in my opinion !

Last edited by Eddy : 5th September 2009 at 14:43.
Old 5th September 2009, 14:39   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Spit: Why cane furniture ? Not very comfortable in my opinion !
Oh this is for an open balcony not inside the house, where rain and other moisture might affect it.

Don't want to go plastic or metal.

I understand bamboo doesn't rot easily in rain. So was looking at this option.
Old 5th September 2009, 14:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Ok i feel a bit stupid opening this thread as i am a total noob when it comes to furniture.

I am looking for some decent Cane Wood Furniture in Bangalore. Any pointers?

Also is Cane == Bamboo all the time or do they use different types of wood? How to make out if it is genuinely bamboo?
Hi Spitfire, let me put in my two bits:
First of all, Cane, Bamboo, and WOOD are three entirely different materials. Wood is what comes from the body of a tree, and is largely used for making furniture. Cane is a type of stem, just as bamboo is a type of stem, but the similarity ends there. While bamboo is stiffer and harder, and used more for scaffoldings, pandals, shamianas etc, cane is more flexible, therefore used to make furniture.
Now what kind of furniture are you looking for ? If it is generally sofas, chairs, beds, etc, I would recommend the following:
If your requirement is short term, and you intend to replace it in say five years, then go for cane, as it will be cost effective for now. If however you are looking at a 15 year lifespan, do go in for solid teak wood.
As for quality, it is very difficult to judge good cane, and many a time the layman buyer gets gypped into buying junglee cane stuff. So do stick to a dealer known to you or referred by someone close to you. The same goes for wood, though it is relatively easier to spot bad wood.
All the best, and do post for any further queries / details.
Edited after reading your post no. 3: Good quality seasoned wood too will not rot if cared for. Also, for balconies, nowadays "artificial cane" is available, which looks like cane furniture but is made of plastic. Believe me, you can't make out the difference !!

Last edited by SuperSelect : 5th September 2009 at 14:46.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2009, 14:56   #5
BANNED

@SuperSelect: AWESOME. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
First of all, Cane, Bamboo, and WOOD are three entirely different materials.
Was aware of the differences but in layman terms your explanation helped as to what in which type of furniture. Thanks again.

Quote:
Edited after reading your post no. 3: Good quality seasoned wood too will not rot if cared for. Also, for balconies, nowadays "artificial cane" is available, which looks like cane furniture but is made of plastic. Believe me, you can't make out the difference !!
Good quality seasoned wood looks like a good option. I will have to start asking for that.

Do we get cane that wont get much affected by sun, dust, rain, heat, etc? If it stays good for 3-4 years i would be happy.

I am not very keen on plastic. But will surely have a look as i guess it benefits from being easy to clean and lighter to carry.
Old 5th September 2009, 15:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome !! Yes, you do get good quality cane which will last for 3-4 years in rain / sun. However, it'll start looking a bit ragged / discoloured after a year or two in the rains.
Do look at plastic. If budget is not a problem, there's a high end brand called "Ramboo". It looks awesome, and will probably last you a lifetime, plus as you rightly said, being plastic, will be easier to use / maintain / carry or shift around.
You may also get lower priced artificial cane stuff.
Seeing your usage, I feel teak now may not be such a good option any more, as teak furniture is heavy. Balcony furniture needs to be movable easily, so the lighter the better !
Old 5th September 2009, 15:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If however you are looking at a 15 year lifespan, do go in for solid teak wood.
Your great grandchildren could be using your solid teak furniture! In fact, cared for, and without the attack of any majorly nasty insect, it will last for ever! Even outside.

Problem is... affording it.

<crossposted>

Yes, for terrace/balcony/garden furniture, the lighter materials have that advantage of being easily moved.

Do remember, though, that many plastics are destroyed by sunshine

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th September 2009 at 15:34.
Old 6th January 2010, 23:22   #8
BHPian

I'm interested in buying a bed and side tables. I'm in Bangalore and prefer teak. Any suggestions? Maharaja Furniture on the ORR between Sarjapur Road and Marathahalli seem good, has anyone dealt with them?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th February 2010, 21:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

If anyone wants good discounts (on quoted prices) @Multiwood Furnitures on Hosur Road on the way to electronic city,(you can literally jump off the road in the shop), just PM me. I know the bloke there. He is a good friend.
Old 24th February 2010, 21:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillako View Post
I'm interested in buying a bed and side tables. I'm in Bangalore and prefer teak. Any suggestions? Maharaja Furniture on the ORR between Sarjapur Road and Marathahalli seem good, has anyone dealt with them?

Thanks in advance!
The best teak furniture I have seen in Bangalore is in this place called "Eeshanya". This place is on Cunningham road, in the same complex as the restaurant "Frescos". I happened to meet its owner as well and he took me on a tour of his place. The best made stuff I have seen in Bangalore or anywhere for that matter.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
If anyone wants good discounts (on quoted prices) @Multiwood Furnitures on Hosur Road on the way to electronic city,(you can literally jump off the road in the shop), just PM me. I know the bloke there. He is a good friend.
Where exactly this store is located on Hosur road?
Old 5th May 2010, 14:51   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I need to change my bathroom doors. I was wondering what's the best kind of reasonably priced door to put in which will last long (water resistant) and also look good.
I was advised to go for FRP doors which cost around 3500.
Is this good - any alternatives?
Anything else I should consider?
Old 5th May 2010, 16:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I need to change my bathroom doors. I was wondering what's the best kind of reasonably priced door to put in which will last long (water resistant) and also look good.
I was advised to go for FRP doors which cost around 3500.
Is this good - any alternatives?
Anything else I should consider?
I heard lot of good feedback about SINTEX doors, have a look.
Old 7th July 2010, 19:34   #14
BHPian

I am planning to buy furniture (sofa set + dining table 6 seater).. I dont have too much to spend on it - any options / discounts / deals you guys are aware about in bangalore ?

How much would the above cost ?? (starting range)

I checked out Big Bazar but they are expensive. Please advice

Edit: forgot to add that i need a double bed too (queen size)

Last edited by quadra : 7th July 2010 at 19:37. Reason: Forgot to mention double bed
Old 7th July 2010, 19:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Where exactly this store is located on Hosur road?
Sorry for the really late reply, and sorry again, that my contact is no longer with this arrangement on Hosur Road. He is now shifted to Koramangala. I'll let you know if I get some leads.

Most Viewed