Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2018, 20:47   #1786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I am no expert. However my learning and advise received is keep investing your savings when the market is going up and down. I did that in 2008 crash had a roller coaster ride. So if you do not need money now or in next 2 -3 years. Keep investing. Read through when you have time.

https://www.valueresearchonline.com/....asp?str=34961
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/....asp?str=33901
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/....asp?str=34989
Yes, even I have been advised the same. The reason being that the slight losses and slight gains in the market would be averaged out and over a long period of time the indices tend to be at a higher point from where you started investing. I am following the same rule.
Old 12th January 2018, 21:06   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post

Can experts please guide me? Should I continue 65% exposure to equity, or should I reduce it, or increase?
I don't think anyone would have an accurate answer to this question. As some wise investor has mentioned that the best asset allocation is one that gives you a good night sleep. If you cannot sleep right with 65% equity, then shift down to a lower number. If you donot want the money for atleast ~5+ years or more then condition yourself to invest, review periodically and forget it.
No matter how prepared, a 2008 like scenario will scare even the best of the lot.
As a fresh investor, in 2008 I shifted my missold ULIP from an all equity portfolio to a liquid fund portfolio using the switch option, all that to cover some meagre notional losses-in hindsight a big mistake.

Last edited by sansvk : 12th January 2018 at 21:11.
Old 13th January 2018, 09:03   #1788
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post

Can experts please guide me? Should I continue 65% exposure to equity, or should I reduce it, or increase?
I am no expert. But curious to know whether all of your MF SIPs are into 100% equity? If so, I believe a part of it should also be in funds that have a debt component. For example some of the the equity oriented balanced funds (usually 65% equity and rest debt) have been giving consistently good returns. Again, the debt component in your portfolio depends upon your age profile and risk appetite.
But since we can never time the market and since SIPs are meant to smoothen out the ups and downs in the market, one should continue investing.
Regards
Sravan
Old 13th January 2018, 18:40   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo74 View Post
The android app for eCAMS is not bad. You automatically get all those funds listed which have your email address as correspondence address.
In my case I have mine, my wife's and my parents' funds all listed, which makes the app cluttered withy plenty details.
Nearly threw my phone with their password restrictions

Nice interface but not all funds are shown. Any idea why?
Old 14th January 2018, 09:30   #1790
BHPian

That's probably because all MF houses not covered by Cams. Some of them are covered by Karvy and there is one more. But I found one icon on their desktop portal , which gives a comprehensive statement covering all the mutual funds , managed by all three service providers.
There is also Ktrack app by karvy.
Old 14th January 2018, 13:02   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

One of the reasons is having different email IDs. In my case if I log in with a different email ID the funds linked to that id are shown.
Old 14th January 2018, 13:31   #1792
BHPian

Yes, main reason is the e mail id given at the time of registration.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:40   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

1.Registry is linked to the email.
2.Different Registrars for different fund houses
3."https://www.camsonline.com/InvestorServices/COL_ISAccountStatementCKF.aspx". Use this link if all the funds are with same emailid but with different registrars. You can get the consolidated statement - summary and detailed. I use this since 4 years for my IT returns. Beats the complication of multiple statements.
4.Please open an MFU online account. Its entirely free and lets you invest on most mutual funds. Easy and clutter-free interface.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:12   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I do use the same email id for all funds. Geojit says their app will be out soon. Shall wait for that. Yeah, i do the investments through them.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:26   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
3."https://www.camsonline.com/InvestorServices/COL_ISAccountStatementCK
The link did not open. Btw, do you mean that from the above link I can view all the mutual fund investments made through various broking accounts at one place?
Old 15th January 2018, 12:41   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
The link did not open. Btw, do you mean that from the above link I can view all the mutual fund investments made through various broking accounts at one place?
Sorry for that. open camsonline, select investor services, there will be an option for Mailback services, in that select CAS(consolidated account statement)-CAMS+KARVY+FTAMIL+SBFS+eIA. Enter the details, you would get the statement,in your email id, within 30 minutes usually. Note the service is based on email only. Pan info is not needed
Old 16th January 2018, 11:10   #1797
BHPian

I started investing in Mutual Fund about 2 and Half years back (SIPs or STPs only, No Lumpsum investment). Currently have investments in 6 different Mutual Funds diversified between Large, Mid & Small Caps. All these investments are really long term with a minimum 10-12 Years horizon. Kind of my retirement planning, kid's higher education (Kid is 6 Months old currently ) & marriage etc.

Although I have read and understood the need for reviewing the portfolio performance at regular intervals, the question that comes to my mind is 'How & when do you decide the fund is under-performing?' For Eg. A fund under-performing for a year or two has been a consistent performer over the years.

I have a couple of funds which are clearly under-performing as compared to the benchmark index, however, there are well above my expectations on the returns (Probably due to the current Bull Run). Does this really qualify as a bad fund to invest in or should it be based on whether my goals are being met. I have a tendency to plan for the worst case scenario. So my target returns from Mutual funds too have been kept probably at the lowest levels

Experts Advise Please!
Old 16th January 2018, 11:21   #1798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Although I have read and understood the need for reviewing the portfolio performance at regular intervals, the question that comes to my mind is 'How & when do you decide the fund is under-performing?' For Eg. A fund under-performing for a year or two has been a consistent performer over the years.

I have a couple of funds which are clearly under-performing as compared to the benchmark index, however, there are well above my expectations on the returns (Probably due to the current Bull Run). Does this really qualify as a bad fund to invest in or should it be based on whether my goals are being met. I have a tendency to plan for the worst case scenario. So my target returns from Mutual funds too have been kept probably at the lowest levels
Don't sell because a fund is underperforming the index or its other peers. That's because that fund is probably invested in undervalued sectors that will take time to bear fruits. And it will probably start outperforming AFTER you sell. But what you could do is -> invest future savings in a different fund.

Do your homework when you are about to buy this new fund -

- Large respected fund house
- Fund that has been around for atleast 5 years.
- Diversified equity fund that invests across market capitalization
- Not a sector fund.
- Corpus of atleast Rs. 5,000 crores
- 4 or 5 star rating on valueresearchonline.com

After that, forget about it. A portfolio of 5 or 6 funds is ideal.

If you are feeling adventurous, you should actually buy an underperforming fund (as long as it meets the above parameters).

Last edited by SmartCat : 16th January 2018 at 11:22.
Old 16th January 2018, 11:32   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
- 4 or 5 star rating on valueresearchonline.com
All the points are pretty much in line with what I feel. Except that the above one doesn't fall in line.

The ratings change over a period of time. Currently two of my funds which earlier were 5 Star Ratings are now 3-star rating. I am guessing this to be because of the current performance of these funds.

1. DSP Blackrock Microcap Fund
2. Franklin India Bluechip Fund

And the rest of them are 4-Star which too most of them were 5-star once on www.Valueresearchonline.com

Regardless of these ratings & all, I am quite happy with the performance of these funds are these are well above the expectations that I have set individually for Large, Mid & Small Cap funds.
Old 16th January 2018, 11:33   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
I started investing in Mutual Fund about 2 and Half years back (SIPs or STPs only, No Lumpsum investment). Currently have investments in 6 different Mutual Funds diversified between Large, Mid & Small Caps. All these investments are really long term with a minimum 10-12 Years horizon. Kind of my retirement planning, kid's higher education (Kid is 6 Months old currently ) & marriage etc.

Experts Advise Please!
Do not do too much churning, particularly so if you are not using Direct route. Points to look for
1.Fund house - Are they serious into the business - AUM/Promotions etc can throw some light.
2.Fund manager - If there is a change in fund manager then look for the track record of the new fund manager.
3.Charges - Funds with high charges and under performance for longer duration can be sold off(if fund house and fund manager track record is not good)
4.Look out for exit charges before making big decisions
5.Calculate tax implications before selling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks