Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2018, 14:24   #2056
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Did it work by adding your PAN?
Yep, It worked by entering my PAN no. I have just finished the formalities last week. Had kept investments on hold for a while.
Old 20th August 2018, 12:17   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I am not an expert. However I agree to your views as I would have done the same if I am in your position and I have done some changes to my folio because of a similar situation. Stop the SIP, move on to another fund with a long term track record. Also please consider what are the other funds you own, what are the type of funds you own (Large, Multi, Small, Large & Mid Cap etc) and then decide the fund to invest in.
Thanks, I have stopped the SIP for this particular fund. Anyways my portfolio is tilted mainly towards small and mid cap. Guess time is right now to divert this SIP amount into a large cap fund. Need to start searching for one now.
Old 21st August 2018, 08:38   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
Hi Guys, I was investing in UTI Mid cap fund Direct Growth Option via the SIP method. However its performance has not been satisfactory for the last two years compared to my other equity funds. Value research has also rated this fund at two stars.
I wanted to ask the experts whether to continue in this fund or not.
I was thinking of stopping my SIP and let the amount remain in fund to give it another years time before moving out of it completely. Will also help me to avoid exit loads for this years transactions. What do you guys think??
As per VRO, this fund is an average performer and had struggled to beat its benchmark consistently since the last 3 years which is a key indicator of the funds performance. Also do note that since this is a pure Midcap fund it is bound to involve a higher risk. You are better off stopping any further investments in this fund. I would recommend to diversify your portfolio a bit and based on you risk appetite, you can look at including a couple of Large cap & Multicap funds in addition to an alternate Small/Midcap fund
thehighwayman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 16:14   #2059
BHPian

Hello Gurus,

For a scenario where someone has just started his job, wants to start investing in Mutual Funds; Please can experts suggest list of funds to start with. Assuming the person can invest a monthly Rs.5000, in lots of Rs.500/- per month.

Thanks.
Old 21st August 2018, 16:48   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hello Gurus,

For a scenario where someone has just started his job, wants to start investing in Mutual Funds; Please can experts suggest list of funds to start with. Assuming the person can invest a monthly Rs.5000, in lots of Rs.500/- per month.

Thanks.
Great that a person who is just starting his job is investing in MF. Assuming this person does not need money in near future and investing for longer duration. I would suggest to invest in 2 funds, 2.5K each. You can check ValueResearchOnline fund rating and choose 2 of the 5 star rated funds under multi cap funds category.
Old 21st August 2018, 17:18   #2061
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any feedback on below funds

ICICI Prudential Nifty Next 50 Index Fund - Direct plan.
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...hemecode=15856

Kotak Emerging Equity Scheme - Direct Plan
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...hemecode=17134

I am particularly interested in ICICI as it's rated 5 start and expense ratio is at 0.44% which is very less IMO. Moreover, being a small fund in size size, it will surely grow fast.

I prefer to follow morning star but it's still to rate the fund. Looking to invest around 2.5k to 5K.
Old 21st August 2018, 18:07   #2062
BHPian

Please read this article before you make a decision:

https://www.valueresearchonline.com/....asp?str=45987

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

I am particularly interested in ICICI as it's rated 5 start and expense ratio is at 0.44% which is very less IMO. Moreover, being a small fund in size size, it will surely grow fast.
Old 21st August 2018, 23:43   #2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Please read this article before you make a decision:

https://www.valueresearchonline.com/....asp?str=45987

Thanks for sharing. A very informative article and an innovative way of putting across a point.
Old 22nd August 2018, 09:40   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Gurus,

Thanks.
If you are looking to invest this amount in equity's then ELSS funds can also be considered. You'll have an added advantage of saving tax under section 80C. You can dig up information on top performing ELSS funds on aforementioned website.
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:00   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

I am particularly interested in ICICI as it's rated 5 start and expense ratio is at 0.44% which is very less IMO.

ICICI Prudential Nifty Next 50 Index Fund - Direct plan is a good fund to invest in.
The Nifty Next 50 Index is a good index and it has beaten many Large-cap funds easily in the last three years. I have moved around 3L of investments which I had in other ICICI large cap funds to this fund, basically for this reason. Also as you have pointed out this being a index fund it is low cost.

Quote:
Moreover, being a small fund in size size, it will surely grow fast.
Not true. Please don't be under this misunderstanding :-). This fund will go up/down based on the Nifty Next index only. Fund size does not matter for index funds.
Old 24th August 2018, 22:45   #2066
Distinguished - BHPian

I had done extensive check (or so I thought) before I chose two ELSS funds to invest this FY - IDFC & BOI AXA. Both were doing good in the initial 2 months, then went into red due to market crash and is coming up.

While checking for the returns on moneycontrol site, I noticed INVESCO has been in the top 5 for the last 5 years and is the only one to feature in all. BOI AXA & IDFC was in the top for just one year (2nd year) and never featured. SBI, Motilal Oswal & Axis featured in 2 years each on top 5.

1. Invesco's 5 year returns are at 26%, does it mean the returns can be calculated at 26% on compounding basis for a SIP?

2. Has anyone got any recommendations for ELSS stocks? I prefer this for tax savings.

Edit:
I have 4 of ELSS going on now, all in SIP. Am ready to rejig based on a good recommendation. The first two were picked based on Scripbox recommendation. Now, they seem to have removed Axis based on their performance Algorithm and recommend L&T Tax Advantage

1. Axis LT Equity - 1000/-
2. DSP Blackrock - 1000/-
3. BOI AXA - 5000/-
4. IDFC - 5000/-

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th August 2018 at 22:55.
Old 24th August 2018, 23:33   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Gurus,

Thanks.
Since he is new to investing I would suggest Nifty50 Index fund. Index fund can be from any fund house as they all give the same returns. Just pick something has the the least divergence from the underlying index and has the least expense ratio.

A new investor should have these things written a 100 times and pasted on the bedroom door
I will look at the value of my investment only once a year.
I will NOT watch stock market news channels.
I will NOT stop SIP when the market starts going down.
I will liquidate the investment only and only when there is a pressing need to do it.

Last edited by freedom : 24th August 2018 at 23:35.
Old 25th August 2018, 09:25   #2068

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I had done extensive check (or so I thought) before I chose two ELSS funds to invest this FY - IDFC & BOI AXA. Both were doing good in the initial 2 months, then went into red due to market crash and is coming up.

While checking for the returns on moneycontrol site, I noticed INVESCO has been in the top 5 for the last 5 years and is the only one to feature in all. BOI AXA & IDFC was in the top for just one year (2nd year) and never featured. SBI, Motilal Oswal & Axis featured in 2 years each on top 5.

1. Invesco's 5 year returns are at 26%, does it mean the returns can be calculated at 26% on compounding basis for a SIP?

2. Has anyone got any recommendations for ELSS stocks? I prefer this for tax savings.

Edit:
I have 4 of ELSS going on now, all in SIP. Am ready to rejig based on a good recommendation. T..

1. Axis LT Equity - 1000/-
2. DSP Blackrock - 1000/-
3. BOI AXA - 5000/-
4. IDFC - 5000/-

I would like to give a point-by-point response, but haven't mastered the quote part yet.

1. The returns mentioned are CAGR - compounded annual growth rate. So 26% 5 year return does mean 26% cagr.

2. There is nothing like ELSS stocks. There is a RGESS scheme but this is applicable only one time in life. More trouble than worth it.

A few more unsolicited, and unusual, responses.

1. Please use stars as an indication, but don't go by them completely. Why? VRO and morningstar use risk-adjusted returns as one of the parameters for the ratings. However these require to be calculated for a particular period and they use 3-years. This then favours recent performance over long-term performance.

2. This is also the reason that the stars change often.

3. 5 ELSS funds is just too many. 1 is adequate, may be 2.

4. I would suggest using the screener from freefincal.com - https://freefincal.com/august-2018-e...ance-screener/ This gives more benefit to downside protection. This is extremely important for equity funds. Falls are part of equity and the funds that fall less than the market would help you much more than funds that funds that outperform during bull runs.

5. Since ELSS funds have a wide market cap mandate, they can have more volatile performance than say large cap funds. So downside protection becomes still more important here.

Hope this helps.
Old 25th August 2018, 14:42   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Is it necessary to login into MyCams website/ app for tracking Mutual funds ?
Old 25th August 2018, 18:56   #2070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsrini View Post
2. There is nothing like ELSS stocks. There is a RGESS scheme but this is applicable only one time in life. More trouble than worth it...

3. 5 ELSS funds is just too many. 1 is adequate, may be 2...
Thank you, I meant ELSS MFs, ended up writing stocks - typo.

I don't want too many ELSS MFs, 2 is more than adequate, but 'which two' is the question. 🙂

The fact is, I still have a very good profit from DSP & Axis, since I have been invested into them for 3 years - just worried if it'll continue to be performing well or anything can do better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks