Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2018, 17:24   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
But this is where I would need members opinions.
---PING----

Can use some help here
Old 6th September 2018, 19:57   #2102
BHPian

Re: MF Portfolio management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
I am not sure what you mean by masked passwords, can you elaborate please.

Also that brings up another topic, which password management tool do you guys use to manage all the passwords across so many sites?
I am also in need of a password management tool. Google returns several results, but I am afraid of even touching them without a valid recommendation.

Last edited by fordday : 6th September 2018 at 19:58. Reason: correction
Old 6th September 2018, 21:08   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I am also in need of a password management tool. Google returns several results, but I am afraid of even touching them without a valid recommendation.
Offtopic alert:

LastPass is the most popular and obvious choice if you are okay with them storing your encrypted passwords in their servers. They have apps for every platform. 1Password is similar too but works better on Apple platform.

If you are not okay with sharing the passwords with another service, Keepass is free and open source and you can store passwords using their apps in your PC only or use file sync service like Dropbox or Google Drive to sync them across platforms. But apps are a hit and miss based on different platforms and different developers.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 6th September 2018 at 21:09.
Old 6th September 2018, 22:58   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
---PING----

Can use some help here
I think you are biased towards one fund house which is not a great idea. It's recommended to spread your investment across fund houses because the fund houses philosophy of stock selection will reflect across their funds. We have enough and more funds, fund houses to choose from. Diversify across fund houses is the suggestion.

I would say choose similar funds from other fund houses and have only one fund from one fund house if that is possible.
Old 7th September 2018, 08:21   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
---PING----

Can use some help here
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I think you are biased towards one fund house which is not a great idea.
It is a very valid point. Like asset classes diversification we need to diversify across fund houses as well.

I am also in a similar situation as you. I had some investment with tax status as Resident Indian and when I moved overseas permanently I had to redeem that investment. Now again I am looking to start some investment. I have shortlisted the following funds with the help of a friend. Please do your own research before investing.

Large Cap Fund- Aditya Birla Sunlife Frontline Equity/ SBI Bluechip Fund
Diversified Equity Fund - SBI Focussed Equity Fund/Kotak Standard Multicap Fund
Tax Saving - Axis Longterm Advantage/Aditya Birla Sunlife Tax Relief Fund 96
Value Fund - Tata Equity P/E Fund
Balanced Fund - ICICI Prudential Equity and Debt Fund
Midcap- HDFC Midcap Opportunities Fund

By the way, can anyone help me to understand the usage of CAN number? I have got one but don't really understood the functionality. I have updated my tax status to NRI now. Can anyone help me with the process to start investing again? Can we do it online (completely)?
Old 7th September 2018, 10:16   #2106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
By the way, can anyone help me to understand the usage of CAN number? I have got one but don't really understood the functionality. I have updated my tax status to NRI now. Can anyone help me with the process to start investing again? Can we do it online (completely)?

CAN is issued by the MF Utility and is a common number across all the fund houses that are part of MFU. Even in physical mode, with CAN in place, you can fill a single form to transact across multiple fund houses. Using MFU online (you would have to specifically request for login there) you can do almost any mutual fund transaction online.

MFU is evolving and adding more functionality gradually. However, it is just a transaction platform. You need a different portal for fancy reports, etc.
Old 7th September 2018, 13:43   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
I am not sure what you mean by masked passwords, can you elaborate please.
My passwords follow a pattern: a word and a 3 digit number, within the word one uppercase and one special character at specific positions.

I use only a 3-4 specific words and numbers; For example, password meR%cury433. All I need the starting letter and digit to recall the full password. So I put it as m*******4** in the Google doc

Last edited by DigitalOne : 7th September 2018 at 13:48. Reason: Clarity
Old 7th September 2018, 16:14   #2108
BHPian

Can anyone help me out as I am not able to do a lump sum investment in Small Cap funds online. I am looking out for direct growth plans in below schemes but after logging in, the lump sum option is disabled and only SIP option can be selected.

SBI small cap fund - direct growth
Reliance small cap - direct growth

How are you guys doing lump sum investments in direct plans. Please help.

BTW: I already have a monthly SIP in Axis Long term and Reliance Tax saver ELSS funds.
Old 7th September 2018, 16:38   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Can anyone help me out as I am not able to do a lump sum investment in Small Cap funds online....

How are you guys doing lump sum investments in direct plans. Please help.
As far as I know, there is a restriction on lump sum investing in SBI small camp fund due to huge demand. SIP's into SBI small cap fund has been re-started sometime in July/Aug-18 (both sip and lump sum investments were banned for couple of months). The same may be the case with reliance small cap fund.

The whole reason/background to this is the astronomical returns of 2017 in the above mentioned small cap funds.
Old 7th September 2018, 16:40   #2110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone help me out as I am not able to do a lump sum investment in Small Cap funds online.
That depends on the portal you are trying this on. Which portal are you using for buying ?
portals like ICICI direct do not provide direct plans for investments.

Coin by zerodha and MFU are some portals from where you can buy them online.
Another way is to log in to the respective fund house website and buy from there.

Quote:
No portal. I was investing directly from their online website.

I think then it will not be a direct plan and will have extra charges. I am strictly considering direct plans don't want to give any share to dealers.
You should be able to buy direct plans from the fund house's site directly.

PS: Coin by zerodha used to charged 50 a month, but is free now. MFU on the other hand, has always been free. There are no additional charges.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 7th September 2018 at 17:01.
Old 7th September 2018, 16:56   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
The whole reason/background to this is the astronomical returns of 2017 in the above mentioned small cap funds.
Yes seems this can be a reason as I was checking the moneycontrol site for the Top performing schemes and these two were the toppers.

Any other scheme where I can do lump sum investment online and can expect healthy returns.

Quote:
That depends on the portal you are trying this on. Which portal are you using for buying ?
No portal. I was investing directly from their online website.

Quote:
Coin by zerodha and MFU are some portals from where you can buy them online.
I think then it will not be a direct plan and will have extra charges. I am strictly considering direct plans don't want to give any share to dealers.

Last edited by roby_dk : 7th September 2018 at 17:00.
Old 7th September 2018, 17:05   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Yes seems this can be a reason as I was checking the moneycontrol site for the Top performing schemes and these two were the toppers.
I just checked on MFU, yes lump sum investment in SBI small cap fund is not available.

Quote:
If the fund name you are buying has "Direct" keyword - it means less charges than a conventional fund.
Buying a direct fund on Zerodha, MFU platforms has no difference in comparison to buying from respective fund houses.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 7th September 2018 at 17:10. Reason: edited for better readability
Old 7th September 2018, 17:06   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone help me out as I am not able to do a lump sum investment in Small Cap funds online. I am looking out for direct growth plans in below schemes but after logging in, the lump sum option is disabled and only SIP option can be selected.

Quote:
As far as I know, there is a restriction on lump sum investing in SBI small camp fund due to huge demand. SIP's into SBI small cap fund has been re-started sometime in July/Aug-18 (both sip and lump sum investments were banned for couple of months). The same may be the case with reliance small cap fund.

Same is the case with Reliance small cap. They have restricted fresh investments since Mar'18.

Link
Old 7th September 2018, 17:58   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
I just checked on MFU, yes lump sum investment in SBI small cap fund is not available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Same is the case with Reliance small cap. They have restricted fresh investments since Mar'18.
Update: Got a call from SBI mutual funds team, they confirmed due to some unknown reasons they have stopped accepting lumpsum investment in small cap fund. The advisor told me to select mid-cap or large cap funds, other option is to make a SIP of 25k per month for 1 year i.e 12 installations and stop investing after that if I want to specifically invest in SBI small cap mutual fund.

Being a new investor, I did a mistake by starting a 40k SIP (read: 30k - Axis long term and 10k in Reliance tax saver) in ELSS category(direct plans) 2 years back. I think I would have better invested in Large/Small/Mid-cap at that time. Somehow after some online research I got to know that it is better to invest in L/M/S-cap funds rather than ELSS as the former have higher returns. Anyways I think I have to continue with my SIP as that will build my retirement corpus in long term.

Last edited by roby_dk : 7th September 2018 at 18:00.
Old 7th September 2018, 19:58   #2115
BHPian

Quote:

I use zerodha and it's indeed direct plan. Till recently they had a charge of RS. 50 per month (no limit on what funds you buy). Recently they stopped that too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks