Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2019, 12:35   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Please share the online process.

you can do it via camsonline. create an ID first if you dont have. Then you can switch online.
Old 10th January 2019, 13:30   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
There is approximately 60% probability of our stock index going up by the end of the year

So its OK if your gains go down a bit, as long as you don't need the money.
That's the catch, I might need the money this year. Maybe I'll use some other and save this for real long term, not sure.

Is there a limit for 'long term' after which the growth wanes off?

Anyway thanks for the pointers.
Old 10th January 2019, 14:02   #2253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Is there a limit for 'long term' after which the growth wanes off?
Increase in Nifty/Sensex and company earnings growth is a bit like the Hare and Tortoise story. Nifty/Sensex can suddenly take off like a rabbit but later, it will wait or probably go to sleep for years together for the tortoise (earnings growth) to catch up. That is, company earnings growth is more or less stable (5 to 20% per year) while Nifty/Sensex is volatile.

That's why everybody parrots the SIP strategy. If you invest lumpsum, it is quite likely that you will invest at the top. And then you have to wait for the earnings to catch up.
Old 10th January 2019, 20:58   #2254
BHPian

I posted some time back about my investment in Franklin Bluechip under performing for the past 3 years compared to Bench mark as well as its peers and asked whether i should redeem.
Now I slightly modified that action: Doing an STP from FI Bluechip to Franklin India PRIMA!
Is this a correct strategy to reclaim some of the lost returns?
Old 10th January 2019, 21:36   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
I posted some time back about my investment in Franklin Bluechip under performing for the past 3 years compared to Bench mark as well as its peers and asked whether i should redeem.
Now I slightly modified that action: Doing an STP from FI Bluechip to Franklin India PRIMA!
Is this a correct strategy to reclaim some of the lost returns?
You are shifting from a large cap fund to a mid cap fund. This switch will make your portfolio riskier and skew the large/ mid cap ratio of your equity holdings in favor of mid caps. One must invest atleast 50 percent of equity portfolio in large caps for stability. If franklin bluechip was your only source of large cap holdings then you should not switch to a mid cap fund and instead choose another large cap fund. I recommend an index fund like UTI index fund nifty 50 plan.
Old 11th January 2019, 14:40   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Help!
I have some cash which I do not need for next 5 years at least. Is there any other alternatives to FD (with slightly better after tax returns?)
Old 11th January 2019, 15:08   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Help!
I have some cash which I do not need for next 5 years at least. Is there any other alternatives to FD (with slightly better after tax returns?)
Equity Arbitrage Funds are worth exploring. Flexible to withdraw in case of emergency need and not too risky (very very unlikely to loose capital).
Old 11th January 2019, 15:17   #2258
BHPian

You can think about a liquid fund or a short term debt fund. Liquid funds will give you a return of around 7.5% and you get indexation benefits if you hold on to them for more than 3 years.

If you are looking at debt funds, be sure to look at good credit rating. Here is an example: https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...hemecode=11308

Watch this video for FDs vs. debt funds.

Debt funds are easy to exit and you get your money in T+1 days.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Help!

Last edited by pradkumar : 11th January 2019 at 15:27.
Old 18th January 2019, 17:49   #2259
BHPian

John Bogle, Vanguard founder and low-cost investing pioneer, dies at 89
Old 21st January 2019, 22:11   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
You can think about a liquid fund or a short term debt fund......

If you are looking at debt funds, be sure to look at good credit rating.
How can anyone be sure about the rating agencies after il&fs drama?

Most of these rating agencies get paid by the very company whom they are evaluating, some of these debt funds lost anywhere between 3 to 7 percent because of exposure to 'AAA' rated il&fs.

If you want a risk free and safe return, fixed deposit is the way to go or if you have an account with zerodha they offer a way to invest in government bonds, which is fixed tenure and guaranteed by govt of India (please note: I have never invested in these govt bonds until now, its fairly new for me and I am still studying various aspects of it) there might be some brokerage charges for investing in these bonds.

https://m.economictimes.com/mf/mf-ne...w/66475202.cms

https://thewire.in/business/ilfs-moo...ting-companies
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:29   #2261
BHPian

Hi,

Although there are accredited credit rating agencies, I don't think any fund manager would blindly go by ratings alone. They do their own diligence.

Essentially, fund managers try to assess whether a company has sustainable cash flows for the next 3-5 years or at least through the period for which they are buying the bond.

Before the IL&FS fiasco, there was Amtek Auto downgrade. Amtek Auto was rated AA- by CARE and A+ by Brickworks before it suffered losses, ran into financial problems and was downgraded by both the agencies. One can assume that AAA bonds cannot be suddenly downgraded to default grade. Therefore, look for maximum AAA bonds in the portfolio. As an example (I am not promoting this fund), HDFC Short Term, has 89% of its portfolio in AAA. HDFC being a conservative fund house, I expect their diligence to be on the safer side.

Agreed, that it doesn't provide the safety of FDs. However, after taxes, FDs barely provide above the inflation rate. Debt funds, on the other hand, offer indexation benefits.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
How can anyone be sure about the rating agencies after il&fs drama?

Most of these rating agencies get paid by the very company whom they are evaluating, some of these debt funds lost anywhere between 3 to 7 percent because of exposure to 'AAA' rated il&fs.

If you want a risk free and safe return, fixed deposit is the way to go or if you have an account with zerodha they offer a way to invest in government bonds, which is fixed tenure and guaranteed by govt of India (please note: I have never invested in these govt bonds until now, its fairly new for me and I am still studying various aspects of it) there might be some brokerage charges for investing in these bonds.

https://m.economictimes.com/mf/mf-ne...w/66475202.cms

https://thewire.in/business/ilfs-moo...ting-companies
Old 22nd January 2019, 23:04   #2262
BHPian

Debt fund investors alert!

"ICRA puts 6 mutual fund schemes under watch with negative implications"

https://www.financialexpress.com/mon.../1451237/lite/
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:14   #2263
BHPian

My bad! I gave an example of a fund that has almost 89% of its portfolio in AAA rated paper and that fund is now under watch for rating action.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67636946.cms

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67651382.cms

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Hi,

Although there are accredited credit rating agencies, I don't think any fund manager would blindly go by ratings alone. They do their own diligence.

Essentially, fund managers try to assess whether a company has sustainable cash flows for the next 3-5 years or at least through the period for which they are buying the bond.

Before the IL&FS fiasco, there was Amtek Auto downgrade. Amtek Auto was rated AA- by CARE and A+ by Brickworks before it suffered losses, ran into financial problems and was downgraded by both the agencies. One can assume that AAA bonds cannot be suddenly downgraded to default grade. Therefore, look for maximum AAA bonds in the portfolio. As an example (I am not promoting this fund), HDFC Short Term, has 89% of its portfolio in AAA. HDFC being a conservative fund house, I expect their diligence to be on the safer side.

Agreed, that it doesn't provide the safety of FDs. However, after taxes, FDs barely provide above the inflation rate. Debt funds, on the other hand, offer indexation benefits.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 23rd January 2019 at 12:18.
Old 24th January 2019, 18:46   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Debt fund investors alert!

"ICRA puts 6 mutual fund schemes under watch with negative implications"

https://www.financialexpress.com/mon.../1451237/lite/
I have large amount invested in HDFC Short Term Debt Fund. Is it time to move it out from there ? Please advise
Old 24th January 2019, 18:49   #2265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
I have large amount invested in HDFC Short Term Debt Fund. Is it time to move it out from there ? Please advise
Relax. The exposure to IL&FS SPV is just 0.5% of assets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks