Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2019, 10:29   #2386
BANNED

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys, one clarification needed. Can I claim Income tax exemption for mutual funds in any way? I am aware of ELSS, but was wondering if I show that I have an SIP for three years or more in a certain fund, will that be valid for getting tax exemption?
No. It will not get you tax exemption.
Old 8th April 2019, 12:31   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, one clarification needed. Can I claim Income tax exemption for mutual funds in any way? I am aware of ELSS, but was wondering if I show that I have an SIP for three years or more in a certain fund, will that be valid for getting tax exemption? If this is possible, then how should I go about it? Lets say I start investing in a fund from this month. Can I declare the same for the current year?
You cannot claim tax exemption for future investments. If you start an SIP in an ELSS, in April 2019, you can claim tax exemption in Mar 2020 for completed investments.

In my organization they take investment proof till around 15th of February. So I do SIP in ELSS keeping SIP date in 1st week. So all transactions from Apr to Feb get tax benefit. I don't get tax exemption on the March investment but that's okay with me.
Old 8th April 2019, 12:43   #2388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
In my organization they take investment proof till around 15th of February. So I do SIP in ELSS keeping SIP date in 1st week. So all transactions from Apr to Feb get tax benefit. I don't get tax exemption on the March investment but that's okay with me.
Tax exemption does not depend on when your org takes proof. It depends on what investments you do by 31st March. So when you file your returns you can show the full amount.
Old 8th April 2019, 12:45   #2389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
You cannot claim tax exemption for future investments. If you start an SIP in an ELSS, in April 2019, you can claim tax exemption in Mar 2020 for completed investments.

Yes, i plan to begin an investment this year, and also declare it as estimation for the next years ITR. Hence, I was curious to know if this works, and if the funds are limited to ELSS or any mutual fund with a 3yr investment period works. I would obviously not want to claim this investment for returns in FY18-19.
Old 8th April 2019, 14:32   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, i plan to begin an investment this year, and also declare it as estimation for the next years ITR. Hence, I was curious to know if this works, and if the funds are limited to ELSS or any mutual fund with a 3yr investment period works. I would obviously not want to claim this investment for returns in FY18-19.
To answer your question - ELSS.
Old 8th April 2019, 17:07   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Tax exemption does not depend on when your org takes proof. It depends on what investments you do by 31st March. So when you file your returns you can show the full amount.
I know. But it is more convenient to do via organization .

Quote:
Only ELSS.
Old 11th April 2019, 18:43   #2392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
I haven't bought any stocks via this broker and this was the last fund I invested through this or any broker. I buy directly since last three years now. All other funds via this broker do show up in CDSL.

I do check the units online and it is all good.

Have you considered switching these MFs bought via broker to direct plans? You will see atleast 0.5% difference in the expense ratios, which will end up as a tidy sum over the years.
Old 11th April 2019, 20:14   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Have you considered switching these MFs bought via broker to direct plans? You will see atleast 0.5% difference in the expense ratios, which will end up as a tidy sum over the years.
Can I 'switch' from regular to direct plan? Won't the broker object? Switching is equivalent to redeem and then buy right? Can I switch to another fund of the same fund house without routing the money through the bank?
Old 11th April 2019, 20:50   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Can I 'switch' from regular to direct plan? Won't the broker object?
This is a decision upto you, the broker has no part in this.

For managing mutual funds I switched from ICICI Direct to an app called Piggy, and it was a hassle free experience. Though I had to do a KYC by sending photos of the signed copy of KYC form.
After that I just chose "switch to direct plan" via the app and it was done in a couple of days.
I guess the same is possible via other MF apps/via MFUI. The only caveat is that the fund house should be listed in MFUI.

Quote:
Switching is equivalent to redeem and then buy right?
Yes, As you rightly mention this switch will be treated as a sale & purchase, so taxation does apply.

Quote:
Can I switch to another fund of the same fund house without routing the money through the bank?
I do not know if this is possible, sorry.

Alternately see this link to do it via fund hoses (I have not tried this route)
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...n-2321925.html

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2019 at 11:12. Reason: line spacing
Old 11th April 2019, 21:02   #2395
BHPian

Yes. You can switch to an other fund from same fund house. basically the fund house redeems the amount from the source fund and invests into the target fund. The bank is not involved. There may be a few days gap between the date of selling in the source fund and date of buying in the target fund.

Quote:
Can I switch to another fund of the same fund house without routing the money through the bank?
Old 12th April 2019, 11:07   #2396
BHPian

Debt Funds alert !! Zee/Essel investments turning sour

Quote:
Worries about the prospects of debt mutual funds holding securities of Subhash Chandra’s Essel Group entities have resurfaced after Kotak Mutual Fund delayed full redemption in several fixed maturity plans (FMPs), sparking a scramble among investors to check if they too have any exposure to such paper.
Read more here
Old 12th April 2019, 11:47   #2397
Team-BHP Support

Till debt mutual funds put their houses in order, it is best to stick to overnight funds (short term) and gilt funds (long term). It might take a couple of years for fund houses to figure out how to properly manage credit risk and returns.

Some smart gilt fund managers have returned 10% per year over 10+ years - with zero credit risk and low volatility. They manage to get higher returns than fixed deposits by "managing" the inverse relationship between bonds and interest rates. That is, when interest rates are falling, they move to long term government bonds. When interest rates are rising, they move to short term government bonds (3 to 6 months duration).

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th April 2019 at 11:57.
Old 12th April 2019, 12:24   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Till debt mutual funds put their houses in order, it is best to stick to overnight funds (short term) and gilt funds (long term). It might take a couple of years for fund houses to figure out how to properly manage credit risk and returns.

Some smart gilt fund managers have returned 10% per year over 10+ years - with zero credit risk and low volatility. They manage to get higher returns than fixed deposits by "managing" the inverse relationship between bonds and interest rates. That is, when interest rates are falling, they move to long term government bonds. When interest rates are rising, they move to short term government bonds (3 to 6 months duration).
Thanks SmartCat.
The Banking and PSU Debt funds have been falling for past few days. Any particular reason for the fall.
Old 12th April 2019, 12:30   #2399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks SmartCat. The Banking and PSU Debt funds have been falling for past few days. Any particular reason for the fall.
Banking and PSU debt funds are pretty decent too, because they have low credit risk. They are suitable for medium term investing (1 to 3 years holding period). Unfortunately, some of these funds invested IL&FS by classifying it as a PSU.

But the recent minor fall in these funds is 'normal'. These funds have some volatility - so make sure your holding period is 1 to 3 years (or more).
Old 12th April 2019, 14:21   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I have re-entered the Gilt fund category in the last few weeks(by investing part of my annual bonus), seeing that RBI has started to reduce the interest rates. Keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the low inflation regime continues for some more time and RBI keeps reducing interest rates. Oil prices in the international market is worrying though. Domestic prices will be increased in one shot once elections get over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks