Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 14:01   #2356
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Did you do this analysis with a specific start and end date? i.e the start date being lets say Jan xx 2009 and choosing dates 3,5 and 10 years hence?
I think the dates come to 'last' 1, 3, 5 and 10 years from the date we check the chart.

One fund which has been under performing in my portfolio is BSL Pure Value Fund. Unfortunately, it started under performing from the time I made my investment in Jan '18! A total loss of 20.7% p.a. It was rated 5* at that time and now it has come down to a rating of 3*. Should I hold on?
Old 29th March 2019, 14:33   #2357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
For a first time investor, you picks are quite aggressive with 65% in midcap, small cap & focussed equity. These are high risk & high reward category of funds. The major part of your portfolio should be in Large Caps, Value & Multicaps with a smaller portion for Mid & Small caps. Gold need not be more than 10% and you can choose any of Gold ETFs.

Thanks for the response altius. Can you recommend any good largecap MF. Also, while market is at lifetime high, do you suggest to wait to enter MF? I'm planning for monthly SIP only and no lumpsum.

Let me check the link you have provided.

Regards
SE

Last edited by speed_edge : 29th March 2019 at 14:35.
Old 29th March 2019, 14:40   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
How many of you get the monthly consolidated statement from CDSL without missing on any of the funds/Stocks?

My statement doesn't reflects one of my investments in Sundaram MF.
I get from NSDL, not from CDSL. And no fund is missing from the statement.
Old 29th March 2019, 14:41   #2359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Gold - 20% - Any good gold rate attached MF suggestion?
If you want some Gold exposure, go for ICICI Pru Multi Asset Fund - they invest in Stocks, Bonds and Gold.
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...chemecode=1471

Gold appreciates only under certain circumstances:

- When there is a global economic, financial or geopolitical crisis
- When there is a crisis in Indian economy or financial system (USD appreciates against INR, and this results in Gold appreciation)

In all other times, Gold will be going up and down but will mostly remain stable. If you allocate large percentage of funds to Gold, you might lose patience with its short term performance. However historically, Gold has returned around 12% per year (more than FD, less than real estate and stocks)

But when you invest in multi asset fund (there are many such funds to choose from), the fund manager can decide when to move to Gold. ICICI Pru Multi Asset fund has returned 22% per year since its inception primarily because of nimble-footedness of fund managers. Right now, they have invested 13% of their assets in Gold.

You can invest up to 20% of your investment in this fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
How many of you get the monthly consolidated statement from CDSL without missing on any of the funds/Stocks? My statement doesn't reflects one of my investments in Sundaram MF.
How are you investing in Sundaram MF? Directly or via broker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
One fund which has been under performing in my portfolio is BSL Pure Value Fund. Unfortunately, it started under performing from the time I made my investment in Jan '18! A total loss of 20.7% p.a. It was rated 5* at that time and now it has come down to a rating of 3*. Should I hold on?
BSL Pure Value Fund too is staying true to its mandate. Average P/E of the fund is 13 and average P/BV is 1.6. Basically, a particular style of investing works during certain periods before they go out of fashion. But then the cycle of outperformance will continue in the future.

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th March 2019 at 14:43.
Old 29th March 2019, 16:09   #2360
BHPian

Some of the good large cap funds are
SBI Bluechip
Aditya Birla Frontline Equity

Other options are passive investing in an index fund from a good fundhouse with low expense ratio. Basically your returns will similar to index (nifty50 or BSE sensex30) returns. In mature markets, fund managers of large cap funds find it difficult to outperform the index and India is also on a similar trajectory and index funds are getting increasingly popular.

Since you have a 5 year timeframe, you could start the SIP anytime. The benefit of SIP is that it captures the highs and the lows and averages out minimising the risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Thanks for the response altius. Can you recommend any good largecap MF. Also, while market is at lifetime high, do you suggest to wait to enter MF? I'm planning for monthly SIP only and no lumpsum.

Let me check the link you have provided.

Regards
SE
Old 30th March 2019, 10:10   #2361
Distinguished - BHPian

Just received a mail from Mirae India about their Mirae India Equity fund being modified to Large cap fund. Does this mean they will change their portfolio or they have already had a large cap bucket of stocks and now just the name is being changed? Had invested in this fund a few weeks ago and it was faring pretty well. Is there any other fund from Mirae worth investing for a time period of 3-5 years even if the risk factor is high?
Old 30th March 2019, 10:32   #2362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Just received a mail from Mirae India about their Mirae India Equity fund being modified to Large cap fund.
88% of stocks in Mirae India Equity Fund belong to large cap category. Name change is likely to draw new investors looking to invest in large cap stocks.
Old 30th March 2019, 10:37   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just received a mail from Mirae India about their Mirae India Equity fund being modified to Large cap fund. Does this mean they will change their portfolio or they have already had a large cap bucket of stocks and now just the name is being changed? Had invested in this fund a few weeks ago and it was faring pretty well. Is there any other fund from Mirae worth investing for a time period of 3-5 years even if the risk factor is high?

Emerging Bluechip fund, which is also 5 star rated, is worth considering.
Old 30th March 2019, 12:10   #2364

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
BSL Pure Value Fund too is staying true to its mandate. Average P/E of the fund is 13 and average P/BV is 1.6. Basically, a particular style of investing works during certain periods before they go out of fashion. But then the cycle of outperformance will continue in the future.

To add to this, it is very heavy on small and mid caps - in fact, if SEBI had defined a small and mid cap category, this fund would qualify! For the last 6 quarters so, these stocks have taken a beating and so has the fund. I expect a roaring outperformance - when these turn around.

I had posted in Quora about this. Another thing is that this fund has always taken higher risk compared to the category. So it can have periodic underperformance.

If I ever switch my substantial holdings in ICCI Prue Discovery, it would be to this fund!
Old 30th March 2019, 12:15   #2365
BANNED

Quote:
If you want some Gold exposure, go for ICICI Pru Multi Asset Fund - they invest in Stocks, Bonds and Gold.

Gold appreciates only under certain circumstances:

- When there is a global economic, financial or geopolitical crisis
- When there is a crisis in Indian economy or financial system (USD appreciates against INR, and this results in Gold appreciation)

In all other times, Gold will be going up and down but will mostly remain stable. If you allocate large percentage of funds to Gold, you might lose patience with its short term performance. However historically, Gold has returned around 12% per year (more than FD, less than real estate and stocks)
At the moment the $ may stop appreciating agains the INR. Remember the Rupee and $ were at par at the time of independence. I do not expect this since we have had high inflation for over 7 decades.
Old 31st March 2019, 18:04   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Just received a mail from Mirae India about their Mirae India Equity fund being modified to Large cap fund. Does this mean they will change their portfolio or they have already had a large cap bucket of stocks and now just the name is being changed?

This article has a detailed analysis on this surprising reclassification.

I recently discovered this site called Freefincal which has very good articles on Mutual funds.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:33   #2367
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone here use ICICI Direct? I have a bunch of MF's there. I am trying to find the page which tells me date of purchase of the MF, but I am unable to do so. It just provides the value at the time of purchase, but no date.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:41   #2368
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Does anyone here use ICICI Direct? I have a bunch of MF's there. I am trying to find the page which tells me date of purchase of the MF, but I am unable to do so. It just provides the value at the time of purchase, but no date.
Trade & Invest -> Portfolio -> Mutual Funds

This is will give you list of MFs you hold. Click on the name of the MF under the Scheme Column. It will give you full history of when you purchased/sold etc.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:43   #2369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Go to Portfolio & Statements -> Portfolio -> Mutual funds.

Just click on the mutual fund scheme name to get transaction history (including date of purchase)
Old 1st April 2019, 12:59   #2370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Trade & Invest -> Portfolio -> Mutual Funds

This is will give you list of MFs you hold. Click on the name of the MF under the Scheme Column. It will give you full history of when you purchased/sold etc.
Quote:
Go to Portfolio & Statements -> Portfolio -> Mutual funds.

Just click on the mutual fund scheme name to get transaction history (including date of purchase)
Thank you both! I got it. What a terrible UI. Bankers I tell you! I am just getting my head around these things for the summer (travel embargo because of the weather ), so will be pitching in this thread a fair bit. Will look forward to seniors help in advising

Guys,

Here is one consolidated portfolio that I possess. All these funds were invested into in August 2018 by my folks. Would request your feedback on them, and on any funds you think I should switch out off. I am also doing some reading on each of these funds now.
  • Aditya Birla Sun Life Manufacturing Equity Fund
  • Aditya Birla Sun Life Tax Relief 96
  • Franklin India Equity Savings Fund - Regular Plan
  • ICICI Prudential Bluechip Fund
  • Kotak Standard Multicap Fund Regular Plan
  • L&T India Value Fund
  • Reliance Focused Equity Fund
  • SBI Bluechip Fund
  • Tata Multicap Fund - Regular Plan

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2019 at 08:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks