Old 27th September 2013, 15:01   #466
BANNED

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

The dooms-dayers are at it

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/23152450.cms
Old 27th September 2013, 15:46   #467
BHPian

The Mutual Funds Thread

IMO it would not be a bad idea to take some (partial) profits of the table and invest at lower levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:19   #468
Senior - BHPian

So, after almost a year of staying invested, I thought I should calculate some numbers.

I invested in IDFC Ultra Short Term Fund-Reg(G) in last October.
Today, when I checked, I had a gain of 8.84%.
This will attract 10% IT without indexation or 20% IT with indexation.

Now, I am wondering if a bank FD would have given me a higher interest rate (with 30% tax liability) or whether IDFC UST fund was slightly better.

I don't need the money now, but perhaps after 6 months and that too is not certain.
Old 4th October 2013, 09:09   #469
BANNED

@S_U_N; Go ahead. I see only volatile times.
Old 7th October 2013, 09:45   #470
BHPian

My ICICI advisor is recommending these plans saying that yields are very good to lock in. Any perspectives on these recommended schemes.

Reliance Regular Savings Fund - Debt- Growth
Birla Sun Life Medium Term Plan - Regular Plan - Growth
Templeton India Corporate Bond Opportunities Fund - Growth
Old 8th October 2013, 12:52   #471
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

How's the market's response pre Diwali and Post Diwali going by the history? Planning to sell off some long holding MF's and use it for home loan pre payment. Does it sound good?
Old 8th October 2013, 14:02   #472
BANNED

@ghodlur; With Sensex at 20,000 I feel we are way above the logical top!
Old 9th October 2013, 15:09   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
So, after almost a year of staying invested, I thought I should calculate some numbers.

I invested in IDFC Ultra Short Term Fund-Reg(G) in last October.
Today, when I checked, I had a gain of 8.84%.
This will attract 10% IT without indexation or 20% IT with indexation.

Now, I am wondering if a bank FD would have given me a higher interest rate (with 30% tax liability) or whether IDFC UST fund was slightly better.
This is pretty bad. This is the very reason I stopped investing in MF. I enjoyed a 45% yearly return and also lost money so i have seen both extremes

I invested FD's in my mom name and get bank interest anywhere between 11%-12% as senior citizen are exempted from tax till Rs. 2 Lakhs per annum, I think this is the most wisest decision

Alternatively, invest in PO Saving Certificate where your investment grows by 60% in 6 years

E. G: Rs, 10,000 becomes Rs.16,XXX in 6 years which though sounds like bank interest is still better than MF's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@S_U_N; Go ahead. I see only volatile times.
So is investing in MF a wrong move now and in near future?
Old 9th October 2013, 15:59   #474
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Me thinks that way. Remember if I buy and you sell then I am thinking to price will go up, and you down! So even if you are right 60% of the time then in the long run you are singing all the way to the bank. I expect the NIFTY to go down to 5800 or so in the not so distant future.
Old 29th November 2013, 16:54   #475
BHPian

MF Gurus,

Has any one tried buying/selling through MF house's direct channel (through their portal)? Can some one explain the below? Or, am I missing any thing?

Let me take "DSPBR Equity Fund - Growth" as an example. I have an existing SIP through Citi bank for the above fund. Now I want to move away from the SIP route and do only lump sum purchases (btw, I have a logic/reason for this shift). I wanted to avoid the service charges, hence started exploring the direct route with the fund house. DSPBR's online portal (https://dspbronline.com/IOL_Login.aspx) allows you to create a user-id with an existing folio details. So, I created one with my existing folio which is created through Citi. Here, while purchasing fresh units, I can choose the direct option and avoid the service charge which I have to pay otherwise. The units purchased will hit the folio and will get added to the existing units under the folio. I can also redeem the units (from this folio) through this portal. The money will automatically come to the linked account (Citi Suvidha account in this case).

Though at the time of purchase I can choose the Direct option, the same is not available in the redemption page. From the value shown, looks like it chooses the NAV applicable for the distributors (lower NAV compared to the NAV of the direct route). How can I sell units through the Direct route where a higher NAV will be considered?

Thanks..
Old 30th November 2013, 01:47   #476
BHPian

A Bangalore based firm setup by IIM-Blr pass outs have launched an online portal primarily for first time investors. Check out this self-explanatory video on how it works.

I have already registered for this site. Here are the key features:

1. They filter out the funds based on certain criteria and hence you are left with equity based MF's only.
2. Then an algorithm checks the past 4yrs of data for that fund an based on that the top equity MF's are picked which are visible in your profile.
3. Since its targeted to 1st time investors, you don't have the option of viewing any other fund apart from the 4 listed. Good move as they want to keep it dead simple
4. There are 2 options available for investing. Option 1 is mandatory for option 2 to work.
5. Option 1: Minimum amount to start investing is 20,000 (4 MF's x 5000 each)
6. Option 2: Now you can start investing as little as 5000 (same 4 MF's x 1000 each) monthly for x months which can start on a date you like.

FYI: They have HDFC top 200 fund listed as one of the four. I checked the same on moneycontrol and the speedometer rating was showing as "not to invest" in this fund. Then when you check the last 4 year perf of this fund on the same site, the graph clearly states that this fund has shown significant performance in the past.

Inputs anyone?
Old 30th November 2013, 09:29   #477
BHPian

Quote:
This is pretty bad. This is the very reason I stopped investing in MF. I enjoyed a 45% yearly return and also lost money so i have seen both extremes

Rightly said Mobike008. I have stopped investing in Mutual funds and except for once, I have always sold with returns less than 8% or sometimes in loss, even though I invested in decent funds.

Last 2 years, I have completed moved to Bank FDs and started concentrating in PPF. I got a PPF opened in SBI and maintaining it as a Savings account, depositing money online regularly.
Old 30th November 2013, 09:33   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Rightly said Mobike008. I have stopped investing in Mutual funds and except for once, I have always sold with returns less than 8% or sometimes in loss, even though I invested in decent funds.Last 2 years, I have completed moved to Bank FDs and started concentrating in PPF. I got a PPF opened in SBI and maintaining it as a Savings account, depositing money online regularly.
Good Move. Even Iam doing exactly the same and also invested a bit in real estate ( plots etc..) so that there is a decent spread

Iam waiting for March 2014 to complete my last MF fund which if sold earlier will attract penalty and when i close this MF, I may get my own money back or maybe even lesser so imagine, 5 years of monthly invested gone down the drain.

Post liquidation of this MF, I will be done and dusted with MF for good ( unless someone changes my mind that it has started giving back good returns again)
Old 30th November 2013, 12:14   #479
BHPian

FYI: They have HDFC top 200 fund listed as one of the four. I checked the same on moneycontrol and the speedometer rating was showing as "not to invest" in this fund. Then when you check the last 4 year perf of this fund on the same site, the graph clearly states that this fund has shown significant performance in the past.

Inputs anyone?[/quote]
Funds managed by Prashath Jain have been underperforming in the last one year. But he is hopeful for the next year and focusing on IT now( Read a recent interview of him). I stopped SIPs in HDFC top 200. I planning to start sips in other fund houses like ICICI, Quantum or IDFC.
Old 30th November 2013, 13:16   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Good Move. Even Iam doing exactly the same and also invested a bit in real estate ( plots etc..) so that there is a decent spread
Better start a recurring deposit and keep the money in bank account and transfer to PPF account by last week of March. If I am not wrong, the interest is calculated on 31st March. Experts may correct if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I stopped SIPs in HDFC top 200. I planning to start sips in other fund houses like ICICI, Quantum or IDFC.
Even I also topped my SIP in HDFC Top 200 and now started SIP in UTI Opportunities Fund.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks