Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 13:50   #511
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

I had invested around 2L in various MF through ICICI Direct. But now I have moved over to fundsindia. The problem with ID was every SIP was being charged at Rs.33 which is very expensive. Thought I would suggest this to folks who aren't aware.
I started SIP in midcap HDFC.
Old 9th January 2014, 14:36   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
MF gurus,

Need expert advise.
Not an expert, but will still add few points:
Quote:
1) BSL Front Line Equity fund 2) HDFC Top 200 3) ICICI Focussed blue chip. Rest of the investments in PPF (Self+wife). Planning to have SIP for atleast 3 yrs. Are the above mentioned funds good enough? Or should I have some Balanced fund in my portfolio? Pls advise.
You seem to be looking at lowest risk equity investments. Why not take more risk and go with small and mid-cap segment?

Quote:
Second query is all of my earlier MF investments have now two options one is Regular and Direct plan. Planning to safeguard the profits earned in these MF's. Should I switch the Regular & Direct plan units from MF to Liquid funds of the same MF house.
What has regular or direct got to do with this?
http://www.valueresearchonline.com/s....asp?str=22511

You either continue to stay invested or book profit by redeeming.
If you don't want the money now, then you can continue staying invested.

Quote:
This way I can ensure that capital is protected + earnings slightly more than Bank FDs at the same time privind easy/fast liquidity. What should my strategy be? Suggest some good funds too.
For liquid funds, as an experiment, I put 1,00,000 Rs. in Templeton India TMA(G) on 11/07/2013.
So, far I have gained 4.74%. The annualized return is projected at around 9.78%.
If that is true, I see no point in keeping money in savings account beyond what is needed to get the Rs. 10000 interest each year, which is tax exempted.

If you are trying to convert equity MF to liquid funds in the same house I am not sure how seamless that process is. What platform are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
I had invested around 2L in various MF through ICICI Direct. But now I have moved over to fundsindia. The problem with ID was every SIP was being charged at Rs.33 which is very expensive. Thought I would suggest this to folks who aren't aware.
I started SIP in midcap HDFC.
Did not know about this charge. Is that a flat rate?
My friend has 10 SIP's each month on FundsIndia. If he were on ICICI, he would be paying more than Rs. 3000 in a year just as extra charges.
Old 9th January 2014, 14:45   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
You seem to be looking at lowest risk equity investments. Why not take more risk and go with small and mid-cap segment?
Agreed. Any funds you would recommend? How about sector funds too?

Quote:
What has regular or direct got to do with this?
You either continue to stay invested or book profit by redeeming.
If you don't want the money now, then you can continue staying invested.If you are trying to convert equity MF to liquid funds in the same house I am not sure how seamless that process is. What platform are you using
Regular options are with expenses whereas Direct plans are without expenses. There is also an option available to switch the mutual fund units from one scheme to other but within the same MF house schemes. Hence thinking of liquid funds esp HDFC & Biral Sunlife where some funds have annual returns of around 9.5% which is more than Bank FD's.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:26   #514
BHPian

Quote:

Did not know about this charge. Is that a flat rate?
My friend has 10 SIP's each month on FundsIndia. If he were on ICICI, he would be paying more than Rs. 3000 in a year just as extra charges.
Yeah, their charges are silly high.
Once your MF Holding with ICICIDirect exceeds Rs 8 lakh, the fee automatically drops to zero. One can park surplus cash in liquid funds to maintain that threshold.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:57   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Agreed. Any funds you would recommend? How about sector funds too?
A few sources have recommended Franklin India Smaller Companies Fund (G).
My investment starts in February in that one.

In terms of sector, I am starting with Reliance Pharma Fund (G). My friend has got good returns in the last one year.

Quote:
Hence thinking of liquid funds esp HDFC & Biral Sunlife where some funds have annual returns of around 9.5% which is more than Bank FD's.
One method is to put money in liquid funds and then do a SIP from liquid funds --> equity funds
FundsIndia allows you to do that, but I have been lazy to try that option.
Old 12th January 2014, 21:19   #516
BHPian

Quote:
FundsIndia allows you to do that, but I have been lazy to try that option.
It's the first time I am hearing of FundsIndia (I use ICICI Securities for all my stock / mutual fund transactions).

Have you used it for a long time? What is your feedback?

It will be great if you could provide some details on it.
Old 12th January 2014, 22:08   #517
Senior - BHPian

Guys a few questions regarding Fundsindia vs Fundsupermart.

1. Which one is better and a safer option?

2. In general, are the funds held by Fundsindia/mart are safe? What if tommorow the company shuts down its operations?

3. How is redemption carried out in these websites. Do they automatically/electronically transfer the redemption proceeds to the linked bank account (through which investment was made) or do they provide redemption through cheqe via the AMC?

4. Is investment through Fundsindia/mart considered as "Direct" investment (Zero entry load) ?

Last edited by DCEite : 12th January 2014 at 22:37.
Old 12th January 2014, 22:52   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
1. Which one is better and a safer option?
I am a customer of Funds India, they are good. I don't think there is a safety issue. Because SEBI is very strict in handling issues related to Mutual Funds.

Quote:

2. In general, are the funds held by Fundsindia/mart are safe? What if tommorow the company shuts down its operations?
That does not make any impact as your investment is with AMC. The only problem is you may have to deal directly with AMCs.

Quote:
3. How is redemption carried out in these websites. Do they automatically/electronically transfer the redemption proceeds to the linked bank account (through which investment was made) or do they provide redemption through cheqe via the AMC?
If you are starting fresh investments with them, they will be fully online so you can redeem without doing any offline work. The amount will get credited to your accounts in 2-3 days time. Its very convenient.

Quote:
4. Is investment through Fundsindia/mart considered as "Direct" investment (Zero entry load) ?
No, The investments are not considered as direct.
Old 13th January 2014, 12:35   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
It's the first time I am hearing of FundsIndia (I use ICICI Securities for all my stock / mutual fund transactions).

Have you used it for a long time? What is your feedback?

It will be great if you could provide some details on it.
MaxTorque has given more detailed reply.
Personally, me and my friend have been using it for more than a year now. The service is good (though I find the online chat quality going down a bit - perhaps due to new recruits).
But they call back on mobile almost immediately if you have any queries.

I have started investing in stocks also from the same platform now.
Old 14th January 2014, 14:13   #520
Senior - BHPian

This article on "double indexation" appears to be very well timed.
http://www.fundsindia.com/blog/mutua...mailportfolio2

Is anyone doing this? I plan to do this in March.
Old 15th January 2014, 11:55   #521
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

How is ICICI Discovery fund? I am planning to put some money in this for 1 year.
Old 24th March 2014, 19:31   #522
BHPian

This thread seems to have gone cold for 2 months.

I usually put in my SIPs from April to March on a yearly basis. Should I do the same this year? Or wait for 2 months until we have clear direction on the political scenario?
Old 24th March 2014, 20:41   #523
BHPian

Taking SIP decisions considering such short term changes won't really work. Before taking such decisions we should consider a period of at least six months. If I am in your place, I would have continued with the SIPs. By the way you are investing in which fund..?
Old 25th March 2014, 10:30   #524
BHPian

Want to put invest around Rs. 3 Lakhs into a debt fund for lock-in period of 3 FY years (from now, i.e, March-2014 to April/may-2016) to take advantage of the tax benefits compared to FD. Not sure if I should go for long term debt or short term debt funds (since short term debt fund returns look better than long term fund, but I am looking for a longer term here).

1. Any specific recommendations for debt plans? OR alternate options?
2. Also, should go through ICICI Direct (where I already have my money/Account) or go for direct plans? Any other headaches for direct investment?
Old 25th March 2014, 11:37   #525
BANNED

I just had guys trying to see me FMPs extolling benefits of two years indexation. They had no answers when I pointed out that normal debt funds will offer the same benefit, with liquidity and option to move the redemption a bit later if needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks