Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 19:17   #76
BHPian

Re: Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Capt.,

I had a friend whos father was in a high position in the Navy, so i got to go along for family day once. It was awesome! The only bummer was that the "missile demo" had to be "canceled" due to some reason like fishing boats being around. To be honest, i don't think they really planned to do it

I've also been fortunate enough to have some other friends of my parents in the Navy, so i've been aboard a couple of submarines, the Viraat and even the Vikrant years back. Just last week i was onboard the ~3month old Sahyadri (Shivalik Stealth Frigate) for dinner.

The automatic dosa maker was the highlight for me

Haha.. i had asked the same question. See here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post1847927

cya
R

You are one hell of a lucky man !

Yes the galley of warships the size of Mysore (crew some 400) and Vikrant (crew some 1000) are amazing! Our Cooks were the best in the world ! The breads for breakfast were always baked fresh when I was on Vikrant. The Sunday Mutton Biryanis were to die for !!

The Continetal food served during parties were way beyond what Taj had to offer. Many of our Navy Cooks found lucrative jobs in 5 * hotels after quitting the Navy!

In the early 1970's we were like spoiled stupid in the Indian Navy !

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd December 2011 at 20:32. Reason: Rule#11
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 19:23   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Discharging Cargo From An Osv To Oil Rig In Bad Weather.

Nice pic Nandu ! Prefectly captured showing the perils of offshore cargo transfers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Plimsoll how did you capture the pics of the fish underwater? Do you have an underwater Tv camera on board for monitoring divers?
The pics are basically photos clicked of the live video feed of the ROV, we work in far greater depths than divers can. Saturation divers can go upto max 400 odd meters, our ROVs carry out maintenance and repairs at upto 3km depth on the seabed. The pic you see is off a pipeline riser under the FPSO.

Cheers.

P.S. just got back home today morning, 8 weeks of peace now
plimsollmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 17:36   #78
BHPian

Here is link to a small video I had taken of some serious weather, wave height that day was recorded as 12 metres average with peaks of 16 metres. Wind speed was 70 knots or 130 kmph !

plimsollmark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 13:17   #79
BHPian

Old 7th December 2011, 15:55   #80
BHPian

Here are some pics taken while we were transiting Rio Espirito Santos in Vitoria, Brazil.

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-035.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-036.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-037.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-038.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-042.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-043.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-046.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-047.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-048.jpg
Old 7th December 2011, 15:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsollmark View Post
Here are some pics taken while we were transiting Rio Espirito Santos in Vitoria, Brazil.
Part 2 -

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-051.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-052.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-058.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-059.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-061.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-picture-064.jpg

Cheers.
plimsollmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 14:45   #82
BHPian

Plimsollmark,

Just stumbled upon this thread. Others have said the same already, but let me do it again: Brilliant showcase for landlubbers like us!! I'm sure 99% of TBHP's population would never have an opportunity to see any of the sights posted by you guys. Hope there's loads more to come. Will be glued here henceforth!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 15:45   #83
BHPian

Re: Calling all TBHP Sailors - Guidance Required!

Not sure if this is the right place to post but requesting some help from some of my fellow TBHPians who are sailors. My younger brother who is mad (absolutely in love) about Merchant Navy got his CDC Certificate in November this year after studying at TS Rehman in Navi Mumbai. However he has been told he has to wait atleast 1 year before he gets onto a ship to start as a cadet. He has some friends who have already gone onto ships as they had family members working in the industry. Can anyone please tell me whether you have to wait for such a long time or would anyone be able to help him get onto a ship?

The other option he has found is to pay an agent who would get him onto a ship within a month (as they say!).

I don't want him to hurry into anything hence would be grateful if you guys can provide some guidance on this.

Many thanks!
Old 28th December 2011, 20:15   #84
BHPian

Re: Calling all TBHP Sailors - Guidance Required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post

The other option he has found is to pay an agent who would get him onto a ship within a month (as they say!).

I don't want him to hurry into anything hence would be grateful if you guys can provide some guidance on this.

Many thanks!
Most Agents are bloodsucking parasites specially the small ones.

Shipping Companies generally sponsor their candidates for pre sea training and then place them on ships for Cadets seatime.

Looks like your brother is not a sponsored candidate so he will have to apply to Shipping Companies. There is a recession in shipping so that may be hard. There is SHIPOWNER here on team bhp. Try him out !!

Search for vijaypalsingh in team bhp.

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 28th December 2011 at 20:18.
Old 28th December 2011, 22:55   #85
BHPian

Many thanks for your help. His Institute are saying it will take atleast a year for them to place him ( I assume these guys will take this time to find a sponsor) which is causing an issue as my brother does want to sit at home. Ill try and contact the TBHPian you have quoted. Hopefully he might help or put me in the right direction!

Thanks again for your help!
Old 16th January 2012, 13:50   #86
Senior - BHPian

A sailors worst nightmare

This is the video of the Italian Luxury liner Costa Concordia that ran aground. In the video you can see the ship laying on its Starboard Side.

I have been in a couple of similar incidences so I can completely relate to the commotion and the panic and the anguish that the passengers might have experienced. Luckily in both the incidences we had, one sinking and the other ship running aground we didnt have any loss of life.

The question that I have is, That since the vessel is very close to the port, I am sure the port authority pilot must be on board and would have had the reins in his hands. So when the pilot is aboard who has the final command of the vessel?
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 13:57   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
A sailors worst nightmare
This is the video of the Italian Luxury liner Costa Concordia that ran aground. In the video you can see the ship laying on its Starboard Side.

The question that I have is, That since the vessel is very close to the port, I am sure the port authority pilot must be on board and would have had the reins in his hands. So when the pilot is aboard who has the final command of the vessel?
I wouldn't know the answer to your questions but to give this discussion another angle, have you heard of salvage operations on ships that are sinking? Here's an article I read recently that might be of some interest to you:

Seacowboys.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 18:42   #88
BHPian

Quote:
From the Tv reports it appears that the Pilot may have disembarked earlier to the grounding.

The rules are clear. When a Pilot is on board he is in on board in an advisory capacity and the Master of the Vessel can override his advice at any time for the safety of the vessel.

When ever I see a new Pilot on board in Mumbai I am very cautious and keep a sharp watch. On one occassion I had to complain against a Pilot's competence to the JNPT harbor Master.

In case of collission and grounding most time Pilots get away and it is the Master who is held liable in courts. The Pilot is only called in as a witness to testify and is never charged for any negligence.

Within his own organisation the Port Trust may take him off Pilotage duties though.
Old 16th January 2012, 18:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

Can a captain of the ship refuse the use of a pilot if he knows the port inside out? For eg you may have sailed out of Mumbai port 100 times, would you still have to take a pilot to help you navigate or can you say no and save money to the company.

Also do navy vessels use Port Authority pilot's or do they have their own set of pilots on Naval payroll??

Regards
Old 16th January 2012, 20:14   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Can a captain of the ship refuse the use of a pilot if he knows the port inside out? For eg you may have sailed out of Mumbai port 100 times, would you still have to take a pilot to help you navigate or can you say no and save money to the company.

Also do navy vessels use Port Authority pilot's or do they have their own set of pilots on Naval payroll??

Regards
Indian Navy is exemted Pilot services in all Indian ports but the Captain of a warship can ask for Pilotage services.

Merchant ships NO EXEMPTIONS except in rare cases where a Master gets such an exemption in writing from BPT/JNPT.

Small vessels like OSV's were exempted Pilotage but after Chitra grounding, that was revoked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks