Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 09:56   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post
I recently bought some guitar gear from Singapore. The whole thing including shipping cost me about 500USD. But I ended up paying 34K INR as tax.
Only thing that DHL can modify is code based on which rates are calculated. You should find some mention of "HSN Code".

based on the item, is it possible to classify as something else ? For example, if it interfaces guitar amp to PC, can you call it PC component ?
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 10:28   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Only thing that DHL can modify is code based on which rates are calculated. You should find some mention of "HSN Code".

based on the item, is it possible to classify as something else ? For example, if it interfaces guitar amp to PC, can you call it PC component ?
Classifying the item as something else is basically fraud and if caught you will end up paying even more as a penalty.

But if the item is wrongly classified, you can try to get that corrected. But from what I have heard and experienced, the likes of DHL and FedEx are not very keen on helping out or applying the correct HSN. They just use the default (highest customs duty) code and clear the item fast.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 10:47   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Classifying the item as something else is basically fraud
tax evasion vs tax planning

One is Fraud , another is not. For example, guitar itself can't be classified as PC component, but this can be : https://thememusic.in/product/motu-m2/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
But if the item is wrongly classified, you can try to get that corrected. But from what I have heard and experienced, the likes of DHL and FedEx are not very keen on helping out or applying the correct HSN. They just use the default (highest customs duty) code and clear the item fast.
Yes, they don't spend too much time on individual items. And they will explicitly opt out of SLA in case of any such request.

For business shipments, finding out appropriate classification is non-trivial.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 20:31   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they don't spend too much time on individual items. And they will explicitly opt out of SLA in case of any such request.

For business shipments, finding out appropriate classification is non-trivial.
I feel this is exactly what happened. Now they have no interest in replying to my query. I don't have much hope I will see any of that tax money ever again. Atleast one can learn not to repeat the mistake. I don't know why the customs codes have to be so difficult to find and use for individuals.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 6th March 2022, 02:22   #275
BHPian

Quote:

I regularly import and run into customs. My 2 cents:

HSN should be thoroughly studied before passing it to the shipper, it is always best to get it from the Shipper and then find related India HSN on Google.

Once HSN is identified, look up duty rate which generally have 3 component:
  1. Basic Custom Duty (BCD) - This is the basic rate (say 10%) discovered through the HSN code
  2. Cess or Surcharge - This is generally 10% cess on BCD (say 10% of 10% = 1%)
  3. IGST - This also depends on the HSN, most of the products are covered in 18% IGST, some are in 28% as well.

Do your research to find out how much duty you are expected to cough up when your good arrives in India.

The duty is calculated on Invoice value + Insurance (if any) + Freight, you will see CIF on your duty calculation.
durvient is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 23:25   #276
BHPian

Does anybody how much time does it take for a small parcel to pass customs? Tracking shows this:

Question about Indian Customs and your experience-screenshot-20220428-23.24.16.png

There has been no change in the status since then. Is it normal?

P.S: Package is via USPS First-Class Mail.

Last edited by batish : 28th April 2022 at 23:26.
Old 8th June 2023, 19:28   #277
BHPian

Can one bring his or her personal luxury watch that he or she has been using for years when travelling to India? What rules are applicable for an OCI card holder travelling to India wearing his or her personal luxury watch like a Rolex Datejust, for example?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th November 2023 at 13:11. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 8th June 2023, 19:34   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Can one bring his or her personal luxury watch that he or she has been using for years when travelling to India. What rules are applicable for an OCI card holder travelling to India wearing his or her personal luxury watch like a Rolex Datejust for example.,?
There's no limit for bonafide personal goods and articles which are for your personal use. As far as I know there's no distinction between OCI card holder or a person on tourist visa as such.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th November 2023 at 13:10. Reason: Typos.
Old 8th June 2023, 19:43   #279
BHPian

What is confusing me is this piece of information here: https://www.nriguides.com/indian-cus...es-for-watches

Once they say personal item and at the same time they say that the value shall not exceed Rs. 50,000 which sounds ridiculous. Hence my confusion.
Old 8th June 2023, 21:29   #280
BHPian

Quote:
What is confusing me is this piece of information here: https://www.nriguides.com/indian-cus...es-for-watches

Once they say personal item and at the same time they say that the value shall not exceed Rs. 50,000 which sounds ridiculous. Hence my confusion.
I suppose this is for items which are new and boxed. It doesn't apply to personal belongings. You don't pay duty for bringing your stuff from abroad. Imagine a person bringing his Macbook and iPhone already in use and paying duty for it.
Old 9th June 2023, 06:34   #281
BHPian

Quote:

Bought a watch in US and wore it when traveling back to India. No questions asked. Personal items in use are not in scope of duty.
Old 9th June 2023, 11:31   #282
BHPian

Quote:

The key here is to unbox the stuff. Duty will be applicable for new items brought from abroad. If you are too skeptical, you can carry proof of purchase to show that the item was purchased long back and has been used.

For expensive items that you take from India and bring back, there is some formality where you can declare the item with customs during departure to avoid duties when bringing the same item back.
Old 9th June 2023, 13:08   #283
Senior - BHPian

Luxury watches are classified as jewellery for customs

Quote:
What rules are applicable for an OCI card holder travelling to India wearing his or her personal luxury watch like a Rolex Datejust for example.,?
If someone is not a resident and visiting for short duration, this would not be an issue. Duration should be less than 6 months.

Worst case scenario :

Traveller can deposit it with customs and get it back while flying out of India.

"A passenger may request the Customs to detain his
baggage either for re-export at the time of his departure
from India or for clearance subsequently on payment of
duty.
The detained baggage would be examined and full details
will be inventoried.
Such baggage is kept in the custody of the Customs and a
Detention Receipt will be issued."

http://delhicustoms.gov.in/pdf/Trvl-Guide.pdf
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 12:14   #284

Can I carry this from USA to India?

I want to get this from USA and would ask a friend to get it in cabin/check-in baggage. Would there be any additional taxes upon arrival in India?
Attached Thumbnails
Question about Indian Customs and your experience-img_5751.png  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th November 2023 at 13:09. Reason: Please use appropriate capitalisation and punctuation. Thanks.
snap2329 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th November 2023, 13:12   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap2329 View Post
Can I carry this from USA to India?

I want to get this from USA and would ask a friend to get it in cabin/check-in baggage. Would there be any additional taxes upon arrival in India?
From what I know if its price is less than 50k the invoice can be shown and be exempt from Customs duties even if the luggage is flagged down. Normally it shouldnt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks