Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:17   #121
BHPian

Re: Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Now my parcel is being retained at customs in Bengaluru. What could be the reason ??? Also how do I get this cleared ??
They'll most likely be asking for an invoice. That's all. Just send an email to the id mentioned and ask what documents are needed. Once they reply, send those to them. They'll clear the package after ~ 5 days.
Old 23rd December 2015, 02:30   #122
Senior - BHPian

Custom clearance is a process and your parcel is not exactly a high priority item or is it?

Give it time, the local post office will contact you for collection of duty in a few days or simply deliver if duty assessed is 0.

At the most you should speak to your local post man or the clerk at the local post office who receives parcels from the custom's desk at the bigger post office.

Quote:
Now my parcel is being retained at customs in Bengaluru. What could be the reason ??? Also how do I get this cleared ?? Should I go down to the GPO and get this sorted or should I wait??
Old 23rd December 2015, 08:13   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now my parcel is being retained at customs in Bengaluru. What could be the reason ??? Also how do I get this cleared ?? Should I go down to the GPO and get this sorted or should I wait??
Follow the below steps

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3737568

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
If you parcels are stuck at Bangalore FPO, do this :

1. Go to the GPO, Bangaore. There i a building between the main building and the Speedpost building. Exact coordinates here, have a look with Google maps and satellite https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

2. As soon as you enter the gate, there is a slant pathway going to the basement. Follow the same. There will be a guy with a computer, give him your Tracking ID (EMS/Chinapost, etc) and ask for the Internal ID (Very important). This will be a 5/6 digit number and note it down.

3. Head to the 1st floor, the FPO office is at a very tricky location, ask anyone where the customs folks are sitting.

4. Once in the room, give them the EMS/Chinapost Tracking ID as well as the Internal ID. They will bring up some documents from their storage.

5. Present invoices/any clarifications to the Customs officer as requested.

Note :

Chech tracking at http://www.17track.net/en/. In my case, my watch was held up at customs and showed up on the status :

Attachment 1385240

Visitation hours are between 3PM and 5PM. In my case I went there at 12PM, I reasoned with them that I did not know the location change plus have to came from far, so they entertained my request then and there.

At 2.37PM on the same day, status was updated that the package has returned from customs. Next day the postman delivered the package and I gave him the customs duty in cash.

Hope that helps, atleast B'lore folks should make a trip in case they want their goods immediately.
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:52   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Now my parcel is being retained at customs in Bengaluru.
Which website did you use for this tracking? TIA!
Old 26th December 2015, 17:15   #125
Senior - BHPian

Guys, am in the process of ordering Bavsound stage 1 speaker upgrade kit for my 320D from California. It would contain 4 mid range speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 original bmw door sills with tweeter pods and the related wiring harness, box would be super big.

The cost to me would be around 600 usd which relates to 40k INR, what customs duty am i looking at when the package arrives. Have not dealt with customs before so have no clue about it.
Old 27th December 2015, 02:27   #126
Senior - BHPian

Max cumulative duty + cess etc should be 37% on the CIF value provided the inovice is not undervalued.

In case it is and discovered, then the penalties can be very severe these days

The courier/freight company could charge another 500/ to 7000/- as clearing charges

Size of box has no relevance in duty calculations

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The cost to me would be around 600 usd which relates to 40k INR, what customs duty am i looking at when the package arrives. Have not dealt with customs before so have no clue about it.
Old 29th December 2015, 12:13   #127
Senior - BHPian

Hello all. I am not sure if this is the right thread for this, but nevertheless.

Earlier this morning we ( self, wife and son ) came back after a 4 day vacation at Dubai. The Only stuff that we actually "shopped" at Dubai were 2 gold coins - one of 4 Grams and the other of 5 Grams of weight and One gold Bangle. On arrival at Bangalore in the wee hours of 3 am this morning, and while going through the X-Ray after the immigration, the person at the X-Ray asked my wife if she was carrying gold coins, to which my wife politely said "Yes". He demanded to see those, and my wife showed him both those coins.

She was told to fill the Declaration form, which i promptly filled. We collected the rest of our baggages and were about to pass through customs when this same person came with two White uniformed customs officers who did the same drill of asking to see the coins and then telling us that we are not allowed to bring this into the country.

Long story short - we were asked to pay 36% duty - and with some calculations on the voucher that they wrote out , i was asked to pay USD 199. Upon questioning if i cant pay INR i was sternly and rudely told that duty can only be paid in Dollars - so i had to go out to the ATM, withdraw INR, convert that @ 72 INR to a USD and pay the $ 199 at the State Bank counter at the Customs area.

Questions :
1. I always thought that 1.00 L Rupees worth of Gold is allowed to be carried, but i was told that its only for ornaments and not for Bullion
2. Assuming that point 1 above is correct, shouldnt i be asked to pay duty only for the 9 Grams of the Coins? They included the Bangle also in that. I did politely check, but was just waved away and said that i either pay or leave the goods there and settle later
3. Do they accept the duty only in USD?
4. Is there any place where i can provide feedback about this to any Government agencies, just in case i was wronged? I somehow get a feeling i was taken for a ride.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 29th December 2015, 14:03   #128
Senior - BHPian

You have been duped as the ornament should not have been included in the duty assessment valuation

Lodge your complaint here http://pgportal.gov.in

Also, the X ray operator has no right/power to ask the passenger as to what is being carried. There is no need to respond to any such query. You have to know your rights.

Voluntary declaration is always the norm but at the appropriate customs counter.

Almost all staff is on commission (officially) and you have been a victim of an overzealous one.
Old 29th December 2015, 14:14   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
3. Do they accept the duty only in USD?
I am really ashamed about our country's policy of charging USD for duty free shopping . In all other countries I have visited, the transaction was always in the local currency.
Old 30th December 2015, 10:09   #130
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Khoj. i did write to PGPortal yesterday, asking only two questions - 1. about the duty % charged and 2. about me being insisted on paying the duty only in USD
Old 30th December 2015, 10:20   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Which website did you use for this tracking? TIA!

http://ipsweb.ptcmysore.gov.in/ipswe...Web_submit.htm

This is the site sir I used for tracking my EMS Parcel.

Now I called up the number and they told me to mail the invoice and I did. Yet there has been no response whatsoever from them nor has the package status changed. Guess I have to go there and sort this out like sunnyboi mentioned.

Regards,
Aniketh

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 4th January 2016, 19:58   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

Thanks a lot SunnyBoi for the detailed instructions. Was not getting time off work to go there. So, I finally thought of going tomorrow and just happened to check the status of my parcel and to my delight, it has reached my local post office after being cleared by customs.

Got a call through to that number and they asked me to submit an invoice which I did and voila, it's here.

Guess all you need to deal with our customs is "patience" and when you have an automobile part coming, you tend to lack that bit of patience. 😁

Question about Indian Customs and your experience-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451917574.056423.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 26th January 2016, 15:15   #133
BHPian

Guys, whats your take on getting iPhones to India from US.
I saw some reports that they are confiscating them at Mumbai/Delhi airport??
Do we need to pay customs duty on the extra amount above 45,000 (An iphone 6S costs $1000 depedning on GB -64/128) ?
Any first hand experiences would be welcome
Old 26th January 2016, 16:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Guys, whats your take on getting iPhones to India from US. I saw some reports that they are confiscating them at Mumbai/Delhi airport??
Not sure about Bombay/Delhi airports. I've brought brand new phones (unopened in cabin luggage) more or less same value through Madras and had no problems. If you carrying it through as personal use, its all the less question marks.

On a related note. Since you say iPhone, I don't see much difference in pricing for an unlocked in US vs India price on Amazon.in
Old 26th January 2016, 16:20   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Not sure about Bombay/Delhi airports. I've brought brand new phones (unopened in cabin luggage) more or less same value through Madras and had no problems. If you carrying it through as personal use, its all the less question marks.

On a related note. Since you say iPhone, I don't see much difference in pricing for an unlocked in US vs India price on Amazon.in
Oh, it is news to me about US/India price almost on par. I am not interested in iPhone so dont track its rate comparison personally. I keep getting requests from friends/relatives when I am returning to India from US.
I had some personal items for myself , so had to decline their requests.
Wonder why people are so crazy about iPhones from US (if prices are similar in India) and anyone returning from US is asked -"So, which iPhone you bought?"
Any reasons?

Most Viewed