Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2018, 11:05   #181
BANNED

Re: Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Just a general note for others - If your parcel is marked Gift and the total value of goods is less than Rs. 10,000, (excluding shipping), you don't have to pay any duty.
I had requested the seller to declare $30 as the value plus marked it as 'Gift' on the parcel carrying the "Viofo A119S V2 dashcam", even then was charged a total duty of ₹2,800.

In my 150+ orders @ AliExpress with item prices ranging from $2 to $136 excluding shipping, no duty was charged but once got charged, when the Dashcam came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Any idea about customs duty?
Don't think duty will be charged.
Old 25th August 2018, 11:09   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What is the declared value of the packages? Both my packages though cost more, I got them to declare it as $15 so no duty is attracted.

Issue is with Mumbai Foreign Post office currently, they have slowed down the process or they are short of staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Actually i have ordered almost 10 parcels from AliExpress
I have received two parcels above $50 without any duties as seller undervalued them and packaging was compact.
I am surprised as parcel which costs $10 is retained,may be bacause $5 Price tag along with medium size package created some doubts in their mind
Another parcel is around $50 which is of Reverse camera and sensors. I am sure seller have undervalued it too.

What date has your parcel been retained? Can you share the tracking number of your parcel
Old 25th August 2018, 11:54   #183
BHPian

Quote:
My package value declared is $30 and this is the status of the product.

Attachment 1793316

Any idea about custom duty?
Cleared on same day so very less chances of duty
Old 25th August 2018, 12:09   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Issue is with Mumbai Foreign Post office currently, they have slowed down the process or they are short of staff.
Mumbai foreign post office gets the most number of bags (yes bags of post) from China. Hence the most backlog is for that, and clearance takes 15 days.

If you order via post from the US or Europe, it gets through in 2-4 days. I guess they have different teams to clear goods from different areas.
Old 25th August 2018, 12:19   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Mumbai foreign post office gets the most number of bags (yes bags of post) from China. Hence the most backlog is for that, and clearance takes 15 days.

If you order via post from the US or Europe, it gets through in 2-4 days. I guess they have different teams to clear goods from different areas.
That's absolutely correct, they have different teams assigned. I have been ordering and geting stuff since last 4-5 years without any issues, sometimes without being charged any duty and sometimes the parcels do get held for assessment and their TAT is 10 working days to clear any held parcel. They clear 1 days's held parcels everyday. My parcel RP000642455CN was held on 8th August and it should have been cleared by now , but its not. I want to know what is the last held date which was cleared yesterday, so that we can assume the date ours will be cleared.

See the attached assessment document which came with the Parcel. Earlier it was pre-printed document and hand written duty amount.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about Indian Customs and your experience-duty-charged.jpeg  

Last edited by yogisays0909 : 25th August 2018 at 12:27.
Old 25th August 2018, 12:57   #186
BHPian

Had ordered Xiaomi Mijia Dashcam from Banggood. It was in GPO for last 11 days and customs had detained it. I went today to check and they charged 41.49% of total bill (including insurance). Actual value of dashcam was 3700.
They confirmed that it will be sent to local PO and i have to pay the custom duty amount to postman. This is the first purchase from Banggood. Not worth it.

Can I return the item and get refunded in this case?
Old 25th August 2018, 13:27   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Had ordered Xiaomi Mijia Dashcam from Banggood. It was in GPO for last 11 days and customs had detained it. I went today to check and they charged 41.49% of total bill (including insurance). Actual value of dashcam was 3700.
They confirmed that it will be sent to local PO and i have to pay the custom duty amount to postman. This is the first purchase from Banggood. Not worth it.

Can I return the item and get refunded in this case?
What was the value declared? Was it marked as a gift?

I don't think you can return and get your custom duty/shipping expenses back. Here is their policy on taxes and tariff.
Old 25th August 2018, 13:30   #188
BHPian

It was not marked as gift even though i requested them. And total value including EMS charge + insurance was 4410.

Quote:
What was the value declared? Was it marked as a gift?

I don't think you can return and get your custom duty/shipping expenses back. Here is their policy on taxes and tariff.
Old 25th August 2018, 22:41   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

I really don't think that people who get caught with a customs charge should cry. And hey, those guys know about "gift" and undervaluing! They know more about how people get stuff through customs than all of us together will ever know.

I don't think we should cry even if we get the occasional customs overcharge... because they only choose to examine stuff randomly, or maybe they just have a feel for a suspicious parcel that looks just like the rest to anybody else. Bottom line: on a moderate amount of stuff bought from China, USA, etc, I'm certainly winning. And if I am, others probably are too.

There is one way to ensure getting charged: shipping through the big international couriers. I think they clear every package individually.
Old 27th August 2018, 14:11   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
India, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Record item customs information (Inb), Air, MUMBAI AIR, Retention Reason : Retained by customs for unspecified reason
Quote:
Hope they releae it soon.will update here.

Have anyone of you received any show cause notice from the foreign post office? or any change in the tracking status as of today?

One of my friend has received a notice 2 days back for his parcel which was stuck since 31st July, contents of the parcel is a scale model airplane.
Old 27th August 2018, 16:35   #191
BHPian

UPDATE: 1 of my parcel RP000642455CN seems to be assessed today and released, So things are moving ahead. Exact 20 days retention, retained on 7th and released on 27th.
Old 29th August 2018, 10:05   #192
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: 1 of my parcel RP000642455CN seems to be assessed today and released, So things are moving ahead. Exact 20 days retention, retained on 7th and released on 27th.
No changes to my parcels. Why does your tracking still show "Retained by Customs", again?

Last edited by aah78 : 29th August 2018 at 18:56. Reason: Post fixed.
Old 29th August 2018, 18:54   #193
BHPian

Quote:
No changes to my parcels. Why does your tracking still show "Retained by Customs", again?
Mine were delivered today.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th August 2018 at 18:56. Reason: Quoted post was fixed.
Old 29th August 2018, 19:01   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Mine were delivered today.
Any custom duty charged?
Old 30th August 2018, 12:28   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Any custom duty charged?
yes the same 40-41% of the declared value, which is okay. 99% we dont have to pay and at time even if they charge not an issue, let them be happy as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks