Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2015, 10:41   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Quote:
What is the regulation when it comes to importing automobile spare parts, if you purchase online from a store outside India, for personal use and not for re-selling? Are there different regulations within the automobile spare parts category for non-electronic (just plastic parts), electronics parts, etc.? Tyres are different, so lets talk about parts other than tyres only. Can someone throw some light regarding the actual regulation about this please?
Quote:
Around 35% duty will be applied, and FEDEX etc., will collect. For smaller items, its usually simple, but often for big items, Customs guys can demand more duty(36% of a price higher than what you pay). In that case you have the option of a fight or simply pay additional duty.
It depends on the whims and fancies of the case officer.

When we get goods from overseas by Air for personal use these are normally via DHL / FedEx / similar courier or occasionally direct Airline but Customs in India treat clearing process for these goods in a different way depending on either Weight / Declared Value .

1 In case value is less than US$ 2000 and weight less than 50 Kg or so ( subject to volumetric weight as well ) goods will be cleared in what's called - Courier Mode - shipments in this mode are cleared fast and no documents are required , DHL / FedEx collect duty at time of delivery if these are on Account number else they might call before shipment lands and take a consent or even advance deposit

2 In case Value is more than US$ 2000 or weight is more tha 50 Kg , shipment lands as Cargo mode and we have an option to get this cleared by DHL / FedEx or collect DO ( must in case of Airline shipment ) and get cleared by our own forwarder . Now if goods are for personal use , contrary to most popular suggestions by these carriers/ General belief of customs creating problems or asking money , there is a way to get these cleared using a Common IEC number- 0100000053 . Below is kind of letter that needs to be given and goods are cleared with regular custom duties ( no penalties or seizures blah blah ..)

Date 01.01.15

The Deputy Commissioner of Customs
New Courier Terminal
I.G.I Airport
New Delhi-110037

Dear Sir / Madam

Sub: Permission for clearance import arrived in my name with common IEC number
Ref: AwB No …

I Mr…. have received a shipment vide above Awb Number 8….. from FedEx

The shipment received, is for my personal use only. I hereby confirm that the items imported are neither for commercial purpose nor fall under prohibited or restricted category as per the import export policy of India. I request that the shipment be cleared using the common IEC number 0100000053 which is applicable for import by individuals for personal use.

Thanking you

Your s faithfully,

Signature
Name
Address

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th March 2015 at 10:58.
Old 7th March 2015, 11:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
If the person sending the item is travelling back to India, isn't there a way to send goods as unaccompanied baggage within some specified time from his travel date?
If you have stayed for more than 2 years, then "transfer of residence" is an option. Otherwise, "unaccompanied baggage" option can be used. However, it has been severely curtailed. Restrictions that apply:

1. Zero duty free allowance (baggage that arrives with a passenger, attracts zero duty up to 35k)
2. Only household goods are allowed (things like spare parts are not allowed)
3. One personally needs to go to customs office or pay an agent to do so to get the baggage cleared.

More details in:

http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason22may2013.pdf

Relevant part:

Quote:
However, no free allowance is admissible in case of unaccompanied baggage which is chargeable to Customs duty @ 35% advalorem + 3%
Education Cess and only used personal effects can be imported free of duty.
Old 7th March 2015, 11:43   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
When we get goods from overseas by Air for personal use these are normally via DHL / FedEx / similar courier or occasionally direct Airline but Customs in India treat clearing process for these goods in a different way depending on either Weight / Declared Value .
I had sent a letter to the customs saying it is for personal use only for one of my shipments with customs already, but was not aware of the common IEC number. Thanks a lot for giving the correct format of the letter. Could this letter get away with the import penalty of Rs.2500 (which is apart from the import duty of around Rs.4800) they are claiming as of now, saying importing without license is prohibited?

The above is regarding the items purchased online and shipped to India in my name. Now there are other things I am planning to import, from a location I will be travelling from, to India in the future. These cannot be carried as luggage due to weight size restrictions etc. Will DHL / FedEx or similar agencies be able to send stuff in the unaccompanied baggage mode if I send them around the same time as my travel to India? Will this be a better (read - cheaper and hassle free for customs clearance) option as compared to sending it as cargo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If you have stayed for more than 2 years, then "transfer of residence" is an option. Otherwise, "unaccompanied baggage" option can be used. However, it has been severely curtailed. Restrictions that apply:

1. Zero duty free allowance (baggage that arrives with a passenger, attracts zero duty up to 35k)
2. Only household goods are allowed (things like spare parts are not allowed)
3. One personally needs to go to customs office or pay an agent to do so to get the baggage cleared.

More details in:

http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason22may2013.pdf

Relevant part:
Just saw your post after I posted. So adding it to my current post...

I also read somewhere that house hold goods are allowed. If other stuff is sent as unaccompanied baggage, I wonder how they would clear it. I guess they would impose some penalty over and above the Customs duty.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 7th March 2015 at 11:52. Reason: Multiquoting
Old 7th March 2015, 14:44   #94
BHPian

Hi,

I have bought a set of five golf clubs here in US for 500 USD. Would anyone please advise if they would be taxed on arrival as additional bag in Delhi, the airport I am flying to?
Are sports good regulated under customs?
Regards
Himanshu
Old 7th March 2015, 14:49   #95
BANNED

I have an old Samsung LED TV 46" lying unused in Bangkok (i used to live there). What would be the cost of bringing it to Delhi?

Also I had a Honda Civic 2.0L there in Bangkok as well. What would be the cost of bring it here knowing its an old model? It was in my dad's name the RC though now not anymore I guess as we sold to a family friend before coming. My sister is still there so can we import on her name and transfer ownership here?
Old 7th March 2015, 19:26   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
had sent a letter to the customs saying it is for personal use only for one of my shipments with customs already, but was not aware of the common IEC number. Thanks a lot for giving the correct format of the letter. Could this letter get away with the import penalty of Rs.2500 (which is apart from the import duty of around Rs.4800) they are claiming as of now, saying importing without license is prohibited?
If your consignment is already appraised , they wont change but this penalty kind of thing - looks your Courier company has told you . Ask them clearly if this shipment has been passed or still pending for clearance , in case its not yet cleared tell them to get this cleared on common IEC number .

Quote:
The above is regarding the items purchased online and shipped to India in my name. Now there are other things I am planning to import, from a location I will be travelling from, to India in the future. These cannot be carried as luggage due to weight size restrictions etc. Will DHL / FedEx or similar agencies be able to send stuff in the unaccompanied baggage mode if I send them around the same time as my travel to India?
Anything that does not accompany you will attract custom irrespective of your visit overseas during that period . If you want to save on customs,check with Airline on excess baggage charges - if this is within your Free allowance you can get this duty free else will have to pay additional duty over and above Airline charges . Sometimes commercial freight is cheaper.

Quote:
I also read somewhere that house hold goods are allowed. If other stuff is sent as unaccompanied baggage, I wonder how they would clear it. I guess they would impose some penalty over and above the Customs duty
If its a Transfer of Residence case you can send in regular Air freight or Sea freight but if you don't meet that criterion regular rates will apply - no penalties unless things are restricted like old cloths etc ..

Quote:
I have bought a set of five golf clubs here in US for 500 USD. Would anyone please advise if they would be taxed on arrival as additional bag in Delhi, the airport I am flying to?
It will be ok to pass through green channel , just keep invoice copy of $ 500 just in case some one stops you & don't carry anything else expensive as you are surely going to get noticed and stopped due to size of your clubs . One Laptop / Smartphone is allowed over & above duty allowance of around Rs 35000 . Also check with your Airline on extra charges they may ask - not every Airline will allow you to carry these unless you are flying Premium

Quote:
I have an old Samsung LED TV 46" lying unused in Bangkok (i used to live there). What would be the cost of bringing it to Delhi?
It wont be worth getting it here given the high charges that Airline are going to ask besides these are no longer Duty free and customs is mostly charged as per prevailing prices of similar model in INR

Quote:
Also I had a Honda Civic 2.0L there in Bangkok as well. What would be the cost of bring it here knowing its an old model? It was in my dad's name the RC though now not anymore I guess as we sold to a family friend before coming. My sister is still there so can we import on her name and transfer ownership here?
Don't even think of this .. just search few threads in forum
Old 8th March 2015, 00:54   #97
BHPian

Quote:
If your consignment is already appraised , they wont change but this penalty kind of thing - looks your Courier company has told you . Ask them clearly if this shipment has been passed or still pending for clearance , in case its not yet cleared tell them to get this cleared on common IEC number .
Not the courier company, but myself is communicating with the Customs. When the item reached them, they sent me the letter asking for invoice details and that is how I sent them the invoice and explanation letter. It is not passed and awaiting payment of fine to be cleared for forwarding to me. The duty will have to be paid upon delivery of the item. That is the situation as of now. If I send a letter again asking them to clear it on common IEC number, I guess they could drop the penalty of Rs.2500.

Quote:
Anything that does not accompany you will attract custom irrespective of your visit overseas during that period . If you want to save on customs,check with Airline on excess baggage charges - if this is within your Free allowance you can get this duty free else will have to pay additional duty over and above Airline charges . Sometimes commercial freight is cheaper.

If its a Transfer of Residence case you can send in regular Air freight or Sea freight but if you don't meet that criterion regular rates will apply - no penalties unless things are restricted like old cloths etc ..
It is not a transfer of residence, but returning back to India after a period of 4-5 months. I am still working out various possibilities. If used personal effects could be shipped to India as unaccompanied baggage without attracting any customs duty, I could send my own luggage with my clothes and personal effects as unaccompanied baggage and carry my car stuff as luggage along with me. Wouldn't that be the best bet?

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 8th March 2015 at 00:55.
Old 11th March 2015, 21:40   #98
BHPian

The fine as told to me by Customs is for importing stuff without import license. Is that the case if shipped by DHL, FedEx, etc. as compared to shipping by the national post of the seller? I have heard of cases where DHL or FedEx takes care of the Customs clearance headache and upon delivery, charge the customer for the Customs Duty. What about the fine in that case? Is DHL or FedEx paying the fine too or is the fine not applicable then?

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 11th March 2015 at 21:43.
Old 11th March 2015, 22:46   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Is DHL or FedEx paying the fine too or is the fine not applicable then?
DHL et. el. have import/export license. They can import on customer's behalf. Usual import duty + handling charges will be paid by customer.

This is the most hassle-free way of shopping from abroad.
Old 11th March 2015, 22:55   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
DHL et. el. have import/export license. They can import on customer's behalf. Usual import duty + handling charges will be paid by customer.

This is the most hassle-free way of shopping from abroad.
Okay, so the higher shipping costs by DHL, FedEx, etc. could be justified in that case (no Customs clearance head aches), of course depending on the cost of the item.

Well that clears most of my doubts. Thanks buddy. You have been very helpful in clearing a lot of doubts regarding Customs duties. And thanks guys for all your inputs.
Old 16th March 2015, 11:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Just thought I'll update my experience with borderlinx.com

I ordered projectors,bulbs and shrouds from TRS last monday and I just received the package. I registered on borderlinx,shipped to the address given to me within US and they forwarded the package to India,paid customs duty and delivered the package home.
The only grouse is duty turned out to be much higher than estimated and I never got a duty paid slip from Indian customs,just a printout from DHL with no reference to customs invoice number nothing. Is this how things work ?
That apart,shipping was very quick,updates were prompt and the customer care was very helpful as well.
I'd recommend them for super fast shipping (in standard delivery itself),safe delivery of your items and if you don't want to take a chance in dealing with customs.
Old 1st June 2015, 19:27   #102
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning to get a $800 guitar from US.
I have a brother in US, if he sends it to me as a gift do I need to pay duty.
Old 11th July 2015, 10:55   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post
Hi Guys,

I am planning to get a $800 guitar from US.
I have a brother in US, if he sends it to me as a gift do I need to pay duty.
Yes you will. DONT GET IT!

Here's what happened with a recent issue - someone I know had a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which went to US for repair. It was held up at customs.

They haven't paid any bribes. It has been stuck over 30 days.

The piece originally costed ~85k and was brought in as a personal item just like most of us do.

Post repair it came in via fedex. A duty of ~18k was slapped and a fine of 12k INR because it does not have a BIS certification. This is silliness beyond belief!

By that logic you shouldn't buy any device online which hasnt been officially sold in India, or you will be penalized.
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:25   #104
BHPian

Need some advice regarding customs duty.

Recently purchased a lock reinforcer (?) - a metal clamp like thing you fix on the door and fix the lock on top of it. Cost ~ $12 plus shipping on Amazon.com. It was shipped from US and was held by the customs.

When I visited the customs office in Bangalore regarding the same, they levied a duty on the price of the lock plus shipping of Rs.1600 payable to the postman when he delivers the package!! Seems ridiculous. I used to think that the duty is calculated only on the price of the item and not the shipping.

Is there a way to check if this is the correct amount of duty levied? No calculation was shown. Just the total amount to be paid.

OT: Why in the world ask me to come all the way to GPO when the duty is to be paid to the postman who delivers the package? I will not be shown how the duty is computed in either case.

Last edited by Pallavi : 2nd September 2015 at 14:29.
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:37   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Cost plus freight is basis of duty. Normally the courier companies do clearance on their own and collect from you on delivery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks