Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 23:10   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Thanks a lot. The parcel is to be delivered to Chikkamagaluru, so I may have to wait a bit. Request for id proof will come from the courrier company, i presume.

Off Topic:

The tracking info seems to be more of a placebo pill for the curious cats among us . I have posted a screenshot in post #6110 of the Online shopping thread indicating how I could know the ghost location of this very parcel three days in advance through the tracking site .

Edit:

You were spot on. I searched the Gati site using the docket number provided by amazon and found that the parcel is being sent out of Bengaluru to the delivery destination. I may indeed receive it in a day or two. Thanks again for the pointer.
17track.net is an excellent site where you can put in any tracking number and it digs out the status and carrier of any packet. Especially useful if you don't know who is the courier company.
Old 11th October 2018, 01:05   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Thanks a lot. The parcel is to be delivered to Chikkamagaluru, so I may have to wait a bit. Request for id proof will come from the courrier company
You were spot on. I searched the Gati site using the docket number provided by amazon and found that the parcel is being sent out of Bengaluru to the delivery destination. I may indeed receive it in a day or two. Thanks again for the pointer.
Since it is Gati, you wont have to worry about customs. They will clear it and deliver it to you. No need of ID proof too. I have got 50+ consignments from China till date and they haven't charged me duty even once.
Old 11th October 2018, 08:24   #213
BANNED

Mail order is a hit or miss. May show up in three days or may be stuck for a few months. It is totally a random phenomena, depending on the post office 'mood'. Couriers are more reliable. They take about 1-2 weeks. Even here whether the duty deposit is cashed or not depends on the customs. I had the same stuff coming to Gurgaon (no duty) and Kanpur (all deposit used up)
Old 23rd October 2018, 18:59   #214
BHPian

I recently ordered RCD 330+ 187B from aliexpress. Seller is yachtscience. I ordered it on 29/09/2018 and it arrived India on 10/10/2018. It went to ahmedabad foreign post office on 15/10/2018 and since then no updates. I tried calling ahmedabad FPO several times but no response.

Seller is a good friend but only negative is that he sent through china post and it got stuck at ahmedabad customs.

My friend said they will ask for bank statement for which I paid amount for RCD 330+. I'm worried as I paid almost $200 for the player and it might say sent as a gift and value would be around $25. He said I might attract duty of 40% for declared value. Can somebody shed some light on this topic please.

Has anybody faced similar situation before? I'm thinking they might impose hefty duties along with penalties. Please someone help.

Attaching screenshot of tracking update on indiapost.

Question about Indian Customs and your experience-imageuploadedbyteambhp1540301218.085677.jpg
Old 14th November 2018, 10:33   #215
BANNED

Item to be delivered at Hyderabad and has been shipped through Singapore Post.

Question about Indian Customs and your experience-screenshot_20181114103034.jpg

"Send to domestic location" but it is at a sorting centre. What's the next step? Can anyone help?

Of all the 244 orders placed on AliExpress, this is the first time the tracking of an item is going in such a route hence confused.
Old 17th November 2018, 02:08   #216
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Forgot to update the post. Package was delivered on 14th itself. No duty charged.

Shipping to Delivery: 8 days.
Old 17th November 2018, 12:25   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Attachment 1818090

"Send to domestic location" but it is at a sorting centre. What's the next step? Can anyone help?

Of all the 244 orders placed on AliExpress, this is the first time the tracking of an item is going in such a route hence confused.
Had a talk with a friend who was in customs. His view is illuminating.

. Customs officers have a large discretionary power while evaluating imports. After all they are humans, so the examination and decisions are as varied as the moods of a person.
. Depending on the origin of the imported items they may of may not let the low value items go duty free.
. Again the thoroughness of scrutiny depends on the cases piled up before them If they have a big backlog, then they may let small value items go free. On the other hand if there is very little piled up, they may examine the goods minutely.
. God forbid if they are in a fowl mood when your item comes up, then you will get slapped with maximum permissible duty.

In short depending on your luck, the goods imported may or may not be charged duty.
Old 18th February 2019, 12:41   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Needed some quick help here.

Could some one help me decode how the IGST component of 1510 was arrived at?

Question about Indian Customs and your experience-img_20190218_100804.jpg

Whatever math I do, it does not work to that number.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 13:34   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Whatever math I do, it does not work to that number.
Assessable Value: 4860
Basic Customs Duty: 486
Swach Bharat Cess: 49

28% on all 3 above is your IGST of Rs 1510.60

Insurance has been included in the Declared Value, to arrive at the Assessable Value.

P.S. I am not smart, I am a Customs Broker

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th February 2019 at 17:31. Reason: edited for spacing
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 13:38   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
...28% on all 3 above is your IGST of Rs 1510.60
Jesus christ, they charged GST on the declared value over and on top of the duty itself

And the GST is more than everything else. What do you do with this stupid Government is beyond me.

The darn package was just a bag, even the post man was dumbfounded after we opened it.

Anyways, you win some and you lose some.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th February 2019 at 17:31. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 14:16   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they charged GST on the declared value over and on top of the duty itself
That is how it has been throughout history, isn't it?
Old 18th February 2019, 14:19   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is how it has been throughout history, isn't it?
So is this I guess

Quote:
What do you do with this stupid Government is beyond me.
Old 8th March 2019, 17:35   #223
BHPian

I ordered a GPS watch for running / cycling purposes from a Dutch website called BikeInn.com . Its been held in Madras Customs for unknown reasons since Mar 4th.

Forum members, what has been your experience so far with this? Do they usually clear it off after some days? Or do I have to visit their office and pay customs etc?

I tried calling their helpline and nobody seems to pick up
Old 8th July 2019, 22:11   #224
BHPian

Question about Indian Customs and your experience-cpl.png

Recently ordered a CPL filter for my Viofo A129 DUO IR dashcam from AliExpress. The shipment reached Chennai (Where i live) but now it is heading to Kochi International Mail Centre. I wonder whether the next stop would be Andaman??
TorqueKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 15:47   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
I ordered a GPS watch for running / cycling purposes from a Dutch website called BikeInn.com . Its been held in Madras Customs for unknown reasons since Mar 4th.
Forum members, what has been your experience so far with this? Do they usually clear it off after some days? Or do I have to visit their office and pay customs etc?
I tried calling their helpline and nobody seems to pick up
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
Attachment 1891743

Recently ordered a CPL filter for my Viofo A129 DUO IR dashcam from AliExpress. The shipment reached Chennai (Where i live) but now it is heading to Kochi International Mail Centre.
I hope your order was delivered. In case it is not then please lodge a complaint on PG Portal. I had a package (from AliExpress) stuck in customs since 4th of May, the matter was sorted couple of days back after lodging grievance on PG Portal (http://pgportal.gov.in). By the way if its with customs then lodge the grievance with customs else with department of posts.

Last edited by roamer012 : 9th July 2019 at 15:50. Reason: multi quoting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks