Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2013, 11:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Here is my original question with little bit customs duty and HS-Code details, what if I bought a 1985 model Rolex gold watch (original price at that time was $5985) for some x amount and wear it while visiting India while still working abroad.

http://www.cybex.in/indian-custom-du...Code-9101.aspx

There are 2 scenarios

1. I will wear it and take it back along with my trip back to abroad
2. I will leave it back in India

I would like to know, if the option 1 selected still I will be asked to pay customs? and

If I choose option 2, what will be the value of the watch considered for assessment (the new Rolex president costs around $48000), being a used watch will there be a depreciation from the original price? What happens when the watch is made of precious metal ?

Old 11th February 2013, 19:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Here is my original question with little bit customs duty and HS-Code details, what if I bought a 1985 model Rolex gold watch (original price at that time was $5985) for some x amount and wear it while visiting India while still working abroad.

http://www.cybex.in/indian-custom-du...Code-9101.aspx

There are 2 scenarios

1. I will wear it and take it back along with my trip back to abroad
2. I will leave it back in India

I would like to know, if the option 1 selected still I will be asked to pay customs? and

If I choose option 2, what will be the value of the watch considered for assessment (the new Rolex president costs around $48000), being a used watch will there be a depreciation from the original price? What happens when the watch is made of precious metal ?
Normally they do not bother much if they know you are going back. In worst case scenario, they will note it in the passport and you have to show the watch on your return trip.

For option 2, if you declare it, it is best to get a valuation done by a recognized valuer abroad. The customs may accept the valuation or will get their own valuation done.
Old 11th February 2013, 20:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

An Indirect way to reduce the cost paid on an item.

I generally purchase from Craigslist and have a copy of the advertisement. There are numerous advertisements where someone is gifted a product / purchased a product but does not use anymore. I have seen geniune sales such as have a duplicate item, Boyfirend gave me a more update / better model. Upgraded, Did not find the product useful, Duplicate for Thanksgiving and so on. I have seen many box sealed offers also, where they open the box infornt of us and also give a demo before we part the money. MRP is say 200$. He would sell for say $80 (+ howmuch we can bargain). When we buy this you are getting a new item, which is second hand and you pay only 40% of the Store Price.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 11th February 2013 at 20:33.
Old 17th April 2013, 10:24   #49
BHPian

Hi All,

My friend is planning to buy this amp from US and carry it to Kochi - http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-in...s/scarlett-2i4.

Do you think she has to pay custom's duty for this item?

Thanks in advance.

-- Jose
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:13   #50
BHPian

Hey. I bought something from DHGate (something like dx) for 9 USD.

This was 40 days back. The postman delivered it today and had a little stamped piece of paper stuck to it that said something which I could not clearly. The only thing legible was Rs 670.

And that was apparently the customs bill. The postman collected the same amount.

So for a 500 rupee thing I paid 700 as customs. Damn you Indian customs.
Old 4th September 2013, 14:41   #51
BHPian

Hi guys

Recently the Indian govt. has stopped allowing TV's to be brought through customs for free and now you have to pay 35% of amount as tax.Well my relative from Oman who was staying in Oman is in the process of settling back to India. He is coming to India to his house and intends to bring his old 42"LED TV with. I'd like to know is the 35% rule applicable on old tv's too which the person might have owned for a 1 year+ , and if its applicable then how do they charge tax, I mean on the old invoice amount or any other way. And if it is not applicable then what documentation does my relative require to get his tv back with him without paying tax?
Old 4th September 2013, 19:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post

This was 40 days back. The postman delivered it today and had a little stamped piece of paper stuck to it that said something which I could not clearly. The only thing legible was Rs 670.

And that was apparently the customs bill. The postman collected the same amount.

Interesting incident. If you dont mind disclosing, may I know what you imported that attracted so much of custom duty.
Old 4th September 2013, 19:49   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Interesting incident. If you dont mind disclosing, may I know what you imported that attracted so much of custom duty.
It wasnt really the product that attracted so much duty. I am guessing a misunderstanding.

I ordered a replacement plastic dome for a CCTV camera. My guess is the customs guy thought it was an under billed CCTV camera and thus took the full duty as per what they presumed the value was.
Old 3rd December 2013, 02:05   #54
BHPian

Bringing in jewellery from abroad

This is a question for people who are familiar with customs rules etc.

My wife and I will be visiting India in December for a month. My wife wishes to bring in her jewellery. All items were bought in India and taken with her when she settled abroad many many years ago, and now she wants to bring them back in.

According to the government websites, we are permitted to bring in INR10,000 worth of jewellery, but I am not clear as to whether this is limited to items procured abroad or whether it pertains even in cases like my wife's.

If it does apply even in my wife's case, we are not sure as to what value we need to declare, since all these items are very old and do not have the original receipts etc.

Would anyone here know, or know someone who might know?

Thanks and cheers
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:00   #55
BHPian

Re: Bringing in jewellery from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

According to the government websites, we are permitted to bring in INR10,000 worth of jewellery, but I am not clear as to whether this is limited to items procured abroad or whether it pertains even in cases like my wife's.
Thanks and cheers
I think this limit has been raised to upto 1 lac INR for women and 50k INR for men as per the recent changes.
Source: http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-ac...ason-aug13.htm
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post

The same thing happened to me. I bought a dock for the Xperia ZR for $9 5 months ago on ebay. When the parcel didn't arrive even after 3 months, the seller refunded the money. In the interim, I changed phones, got a refund on the ZR, got a S4, got a refund on the S4 and then bought a LG G2. And given that I'd got a refund, I completely forgot about it.

Last week, my office reception called me to the desk saying that a parcel had come. I hadn't prdered anything in the past few days so was a little wary. I saw the postman and he handed over a battery looking envelope with a tiny piece of paper stuck on it, and said I had to pay 607 rupees in customs duty. I said I don't even have the phone anymore so he could take it back.

Unfortunately he began making a scene and saying that I couldn't return it. So to avoid my colleagues giving me dirty looks, I paid the duty and gave the package to someone in my office who bought the ZR. I didn't even get a thank you out of it.

So while I paid $9 equivalent for the dock, the Indian government seems to have begun levying 100 percent duty on imports via post.
Old 23rd April 2014, 16:45   #57

I am planning to bring a 48inch led tv from Melbourne to Bangalore through Malaysian airlines. Can someone who has already done this before please guide me as to how we bring a tv. Is there any extra charges apart from the extra weight that we need to pay. The TV will be in its original packing so do we need to do any extra packing for it? Does airline take care of it as a fragile item. Any pointers are helpful. Also can we do some sort of a travel insurance for the tv? Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:21   #58
BHPian

Josh.Machine, my limited research into this tells me that you will be charged 35% customs duty for the TV.

Re. packing, the original packing (with all the thermocol/styrofoam padding etc.) is sufficient, but if it makes you comfortable, do pack that further into another carton with extra padding etc.

Insurance is always helpful, especially since airlines DO NOT care about any packages, fragile or otherwise. I have heard tell of packages marked FRAGILE are like honey to a bear - the baggage handlers take extra pleasure in playing with those packages. Of course, this ia anecdotal, other than a few videos I have seen of baggage handlers throwing packages about like basketballs, so YMMV.

I am shipping my stuff by sea.

Cheers
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:49   #59
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Bringing in jewellery from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
This is a question for people who are familiar with customs rules etc.

My wife and I will be visiting India in December for a month. My wife wishes to bring in her jewellery. All items were bought in India and taken with her when she settled abroad many many years ago, and now she wants to bring them back
Thanks and cheers

One way is for her to wear the stuff on her person...only thing if there is a lot of it, then it would attract questions....
Old 23rd April 2014, 21:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.machine View Post
I am planning to bring a 48inch led tv from Melbourne to Bangalore through Malaysian airlines. Can someone who has already done this before please guide me as to how we bring a tv. Is there any extra charges apart from the extra weight that we need to pay. The TV will be in its original packing so do we need to do any extra packing for it? Does airline take care of it as a fragile item. Any pointers are helpful. Also can we do some sort of a travel insurance for the tv? Thanks
Josh - The custom law says that we must pay 35% of the cost of the corresponding Indian price of the same model. Say if you buy a 60 inch TV for 1200 AUD, and the same (nearest model) TV is priced at Rs 5,00,000, we need to pay Rs 1,75,000 in duties and customs. I was planning a 60 inch from US, but dropped the idea.

Regarding Shipping, I do not recommend bringing it thru Air as there is too much baggage mishandling at airports. Ship is the best way to send it to india. Shipping agent takes care of packing, insurance, handling customs and delivering to your house.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks