Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2024, 22:09   #6511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitadru View Post
So when I take it to the vet, I use a combination of three methods - Secure the cat with the harness and leash, put it in those lockable plastic basket. On top of that I wear special gloves , to catch hold of her in case she does manage to get out of the box. The glove is made out of a thick outer cloth, and is padded with another thick layer of wool from the inside. It helps cause my cat has a tendency to leave marks of her displeasure on your skin( read scratches and bites) . Uploading a picture of the contraption.
Heheh I can picture the struggle in my mind! Our kittens are just 6 month old and only one has ever been to a vet, once. That one time we were nervous how he will behave because both kittens are generally wary of strangers.

Fortunately and surprisingly he behaved rather well in the sense that he was so terrified of the carry case, outdoors, smell, new place, new people new everything the energy just drained from his body and went limp.

We put him on examination table and poor guy just slumped on it without moving as the nurse ran her typical physical checks. In the end she remarked, that's a remarkably well behaved kitten? And we go yeah right

We are yet to take the other kitten and have no idea he will behave. Fingers crossed. I usually wear a thick work jacket akin to the gloves you shared when we trim their nails as they hate that ritual.
amol4184 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 22:29   #6512
Distinguished - BHPian

Funny that you should be talking about taking cats to the vet!

Neither of my cats is speaking to me at the moment, because I took one of them to the vet this afternoon. This has even shocked the other one, who, I guess, is thinking I am going to do it to her next!

So we are all upset in our household.

Reason for the visit was that I saw him, several times, trying to pee but nothing coming. Reason for that, it turns out from an x-ray, is a bladder stone. Hopefully it might be fixed by a special diet and medicines. When I can get a hold of him again!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 05:27   #6513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Neither of my cats is speaking to me at the moment, because I took one of them to the vet this afternoon. This has even shocked the other one, who, I guess, is thinking I am going to do it to her next!

So we are all upset in our household.
I had that feeling when we returned from the vet, he was aloof and avoided eye contact. The other one was bewildered with all the different smells coming from his brother's body.

Took a full day for him to shake off the memories of vet visit. Hope you cat feels well soon though, them being sick makes the whole house dull.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 12:29   #6514
Senior - BHPian

Both our cats (Mother and Doughtier) are comfortable in leashes and harness.

They are happy to wear them knowing that they will be going to either terrace or parking.

Using this https://www.amazon.in/Hcpet-Adjustable-Harnesses-Breathable-Reflective/dp/B0C52NFTHN/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1NF7FF75MM2KZ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.k-fz6tcikcFiaoE3JpC0V2rC4P9cupsOYueILDxRbXXzVCxeOUPy IeIzORLPzjkZdGg4gHBLuqTil88CjQ_4RClIt-rpN3AcvnnP0jNCbRxhHdkCZ45H5OV7KEL_Y4B7ZuhDZzWqLuka qFmNJtXxpk22g8a19wIloYq6p7Jx7O-XikOZHLUoCUSIbsgyK9bmdPQtMObEMKQXiBd4A3gT_V-rqhUA1HxtAgcIqOUyy9AZJCaD84xWcwOjh_vozkd_z7Gs3DFui dgoSfCXRO_DS68ZZJYI67usbvJm6Bkf8RU.pH1dVPHqi9E3z-wUwpAIk57OV18RIHf1v5O2Ck1o91c&dib_tag=se&keywords= cat+leash+with+harness&qid=1712990359&sprefix=cat+ leash%2Caps%2C792&sr=8-11

Another point is taking them to Vet. It's a struggle for them. Both are not that car friendly. Younger one screams like someone is kidnapping her. Mamma is happy to sit on the rear parcel tray but will meow occasionally.

Form CGS Gurgaon, we learned that a 400 GSM towel is the best tool to hold the cats for injections, ear cleaning etc. We are following same procedure at home for their fortnight ear cleaning. One can easily wrap and hold and other can clean, feed, etc very easily. No struggle, no scratches but only screams
myavu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 12:39   #6515
BHPian

Speaking of cats, the stray in the pictures below took about 3 months to let me hold her, carry her inside by buidling and finally to my flat through a lift for almost daily feeding. The greatest moment comes when I hold her in my arms she hides her face between my chest and elbow so as not to witness the 'cruelty' of a hooman carrying the poor cat for the following brutality (read feeding).

When she is done with the food, she meows slightly and closes her eyes to indicate that she is done and the servant can take her back to the street via the lift.

Going to get her spayed soon when I feel she would be comfortable inside the car for a long journey to the vet.

Here are a few pics:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240407_173223949.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240407_173218570.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20240407_173157901.jpg
Fuldagap is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 23:05   #6516
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not carry a cat loose in a car: always in a cage or carry box.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 11:58   #6517
BHPian

Our beloved stray, blackey
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_5040.jpeg  

Sk8r is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 13:06   #6518

She is our stray cat, named Beḷḷi, which mainly means the metal silver in Kannada. But it also means whitish and hence her name. My mother found her as a kitten, abandoned on the road infront of house last year. Now she is around 8 months old, stays out of the house for most of the time and roams the streets with her two boyfriends from the house opposite to ours.

Funny part is that, she seem to love cars too . During the night, she likes to sleep under the car in our parking, as it offers a cozy place safe from the stray dogs out on the roads. Doing so, she also guards the car against any rat bites. When I am doing any work in the car, she casually hops in and sleeps on the rear parcel tray. Had two stray cats before her and both were fussy inside cars. But Belli is quite the opposite, she loves to sit inside the car. Even while taking her to the vet, when put in a basket, she would create ruckus, but if left freely in the car, she would silently go and sleep peacefully in her usual place, the parcel tray.

As a result, I have to ensure that I take two precautions every day: One to check under the car once before moving it out of the parking and the other to check the parcel tray before exiting the car, if it had been in the parking for some time with the doors open.

Her boyfriends were claimed to be neutered by the owner. Hence I did not worry much and had planned to get her spayed in May as advised by the vet. But it seems, she had other plans. Her growing belly is now a cause of concern. . Have to take her to the vet soon for a confirmation.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-6.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-4.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-3.jpg  

Last edited by sachinshastry : 15th April 2024 at 13:30.
sachinshastry is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 13:34   #6519
BHPian

Here is my furry friend “Lara”. She is now 14, and quite aggressive inside her Territory (in and around the house compound), otherwise such a sweet girl.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20240415-9.13.59-am.jpeg

We brought her into our family from Ooty when she was just 2 months old.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20240415-9.14.02-am.jpeg

At times, I carry her to the terrace because she's still apprehensive about climbing stairs.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20240415-9.14.01-am-1.jpeg

Occasionally, she simply enjoys observing the things we do.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20240415-9.14.01-am.jpeg

When the doors are open, she sneaks into the bedroom and sometimes wants to leave, but when they're closed, she sits patiently, waiting to be let out.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20240415-9.16.31-am.jpeg

At the slightest noise, she'll perk up and watch the main gate, ever vigilant for any threat.

Last edited by safe_rider : 15th April 2024 at 13:56. Reason: enhancement
safe_rider is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 15:11   #6520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinshastry View Post
She is our stray cat, named Beḷḷi, ... ... ...
She's lovely!
Quote:
Her boyfriends were claimed to be neutered by the owner. Hence I did not worry much and had planned to get her spayed in May as advised by the vet. But it seems, she had other plans. Her growing belly is now a cause of concern. . Have to take her to the vet soon for a confirmation.
I was told a pregnant cat can be neutered, but how far into the pregnancy, I don't know. If it shows already, it might be too late. Welcome to your growing family!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 15:50   #6521
Team-BHP Support

Why should we neuter or spay stray cats? Our cities don't exactly have a stray cat overpopulation problem. Even if we assume that 50% of its diet (food source) comes from hunting rats/mouse, it is good for the neighborhood. Our polluted cities have wiped out most small birds like sparrows anyway - so there is no risk to imaginary birds because of cats either.

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th April 2024 at 15:52.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 15:55   #6522
BHPian

We planted him 8 months ago and he has grown up quite well. He shares the space with 4 other indies but hardly interacts with any of them. He rarely meows and only purrs when he's startled. He hasn't been officially named yet but Kaalu is on the cards (sigh). Suggestions for a more original name are appreciated .

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240413wa0014.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20240413wa0021.jpg

Last edited by SgtGAWD : 15th April 2024 at 15:56. Reason: Accidentally hit post before completing
SgtGAWD is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 17:16   #6523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGAWD View Post
Suggestions for a more original name are appreciated
Coal-Cat-ta

Don't have pets, but I feed a few stray cats in my building. Have named them as follows:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201104_11232101.jpeg
This one is called Doggie because he follows me around & is goofy in general. Making his best Monday face here.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20211217_163134.jpg
Soda. She's the mouser-in-chief and keeps my vehicles free of rodents.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20230201_17344101.jpeg
Bubbles. Because she's Soda's daughter. And the most photogenic one too.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20221207_15260001.jpeg
Yogi. Because she likes to sit like that with one leg in the air all the time.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200502_18484801.jpeg
Old Girl. The oldest one of the lot.
Shumi_21 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 18:07   #6524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was told a pregnant cat can be neutered, but how far into the pregnancy, I don't know. If it shows already, it might be too late. Welcome to your growing family!
Not planning to get her spayed now if she is carrying. Will get it done, after she delivers once. Thought of taking to the vet only to get the confirmation of her pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Why should we neuter or spay stray cats? Our cities don't exactly have a stray cat overpopulation problem. Even if we assume that 50% of its diet (food source) comes from hunting rats/mouse, it is good for the neighborhood. Our polluted cities have wiped out most small birds like sparrows anyway - so there is no risk to imaginary birds because of cats either.
Have been through the same dilemma, but am convinced otherwise. Spaying on the outlook may seem inhumane, but its good for the cats too. Though they are stray cats for name sake, they depend on the houses for food entirely. I call my cat the "hi-fi" cat as she does not eat anything other than the cat food . A cat on average gives birth to 4 to 6 litters per year, which would come to around 16 to 20 kittens on average. Considering the limited space around the houses in the cities, its difficult to house and feed all of them. For instance, my neighbor hates cats and had asked me to get rid of the her, as she goes to their garden too when roaming in the neighborhood, which obviously I am not paying heed to. Putting these Indie cats up for adoption also would not be successful as in our country, people have a craze for adopting only "foreign breed" cats. Also many kittens succumb to death due to attacks from dogs and other male cats. Protecting the babies and seeing them die infront of the eyes also would take a toll on the mental health of the mother cats. I have practically seen this with a previous stray cat, where the cat would become extremely dull after their kittens go missing or dead. Due to all these complications, I would consider that its better to get them spayed and provide them a stress free simple life, rather than make them go through all these unnecessary hardships. Let them enjoy the NINK (no income no kids, just chill) lifestyle .
sachinshastry is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 18:30   #6525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinshastry View Post
Have been through the same dilemma, but am convinced otherwise. Spaying on the outlook may seem inhumane, but its good for the cats too. Though they are stray cats for name sake, they depend on the houses for food entirely. I call my cat the "hi-fi" cat as she does not eat anything other than the cat food . A cat on average gives birth to 4 to 6 litters per year, which would come to around 16 to 20 kittens on average. Considering the limited space around the houses in the cities, its difficult to house and feed all of them. For instance, my neighbor hates cats and had asked me to get rid of the her, as she goes to their garden too when roaming in the neighborhood, which obviously I am not paying heed to. Putting these Indie cats up for adoption also would not be successful as in our country, people have a craze for adopting only "foreign breed" cats. Also many kittens succumb to death due to attacks from dogs and other male cats. Protecting the babies and seeing them die infront of the eyes also would take a toll on the mental health of the mother cats. I have practically seen this with a previous stray cat, where the cat would become extremely dull after their kittens go missing or dead. Due to all these complications, I would consider that its better to get them spayed and provide them a stress free simple life, rather than make them go through all these unnecessary hardships. Let them enjoy the NINK (no income no kids, just chill) lifestyle .

Vets always advise spaying strays. I have my dog who was a stray. Even after being too careful, she had 6 young ones inside. I got her spayed and the vet just removed the 35 day old 6 young ones. For the experienced vet, the stage of pregnancy matters quite less for spaying. Unless there is some medical hindrance associated.

My dog has been as happy as before after spaying and healthy too. The risk of catching or spreading a disease minimises for sure. A bitch can carry as many as 4 different young ones from different 'dads' in one go. Each 4 of the 'dads' can be the reason for 2-3 young ones. I think it is the same for cats.

Strays when spayed are less aggressive, get more food amd territory to roam around and also they don't allow other strays get inside their own territories. Win-win situation for the strays and humans in the vicinity. Also the animal's own life span increases a lot after getting spayed/neutered.

The more spaying/neutering is done in any society the better, given the current urban setup across India.
Fuldagap is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks