Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2024, 10:58   #6421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Looks like they have a lovely place to run around in

Had watched this movie sometime back and of the comments on YouTube (Trailer) was asking people not to go and buy a puppy before understanding the breed!

The Dog.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11252248/
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 11:21   #6422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Looks like they have a lovely place to run around in

Had watched this movie sometime back and of the comments on YouTube (Trailer) was asking people not to go and buy a puppy before understanding the breed!

The Dog.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11252248/
Yes, Malligators are not for first time owners, Apartment dwellers …well not even for those in city without a yard in their house.

As mentioned, they are high energy breeds and require lot of excercise, running around and mental simulation. Also owner has to invest time in getting them trained with basic discipline. Else it will become difficult to manage.

Had to research a lot before deciding on this breed …. Having them in farm and as a pair addresses physical activity and mental simulation issue. And weekends are fun time for both them and us.

Yoshi …in his puppy days.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2919.jpeg  

Last edited by NaveenKD : 29th February 2024 at 11:25.
NaveenKD is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 16:00   #6423
BHPian

We celebrated our boi's 6th birthday a few days back. Gave him his favourite treats

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20240304-15.32.01-1.jpeg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20240304-15.32.01-2.jpeg
Shan_Kmu is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 17:21   #6424
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right forum for this questions, but here it goes anyways:
Does anyone have a Border Collie pup for adoption/purchase, or know anyone who does? Asking for a friend.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 19:46   #6425

Cookie, The Naughty Shih-Tzu
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20231020_220910.jpg  

Sanjeevgogia is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 06:39   #6426
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

We recently adopted an Indie from Friendicoes. Both my waifu and I were not interested in pure breeds as we didn’t want to buy a puppy from a breeder/kennel. And we weren’t focused on a specific breed. We both love German Shepherd but living in flats we were short on space which a big dog needs so we decided to get an Indie. Though Coco (we named her after the Disney movie, also because of her colour) has puffy white chest hair, thick paws, grey-green eyes and a thick soft fur; so we do suspect her DNA does have some foreign blood in it.

She’s quick, smart, energetic and playful around kids. Currently at 4 months, she looks exactly like a Australian shepherd minus the tail.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-e45676aad7a14b49ad86555e2d321783.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6278.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3384.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3370.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3308.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-793d5ada16054e75a14fcda5441c1e5d.jpeg  

Himanshu809 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 15:24   #6427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum for this questions, but here it goes anyways:
Does anyone have a Border Collie pup for adoption/purchase, or know anyone who does? Asking for a friend.
Hey I'm sorry if I'm giving unwanted advice. Please don't consider a Collie as a first dog or an apartment dwelling dog.

They are working dogs as herders, need lots of exercise and mental stimulation and can be too mischievous for their own good. They are extremely intelligent/smart and consistently top the charts in terms of intelligence. So they need tiring out both physically and mentally in order to be happy. Else you end up with a bored dog. And bored dogs are destructive dogs with behavioral issues. That's why lots of BCs end up in shelters abroad.

If you have a farm with decent space for running around and exploring please disregard all that I said. Because they are extremely loyal and loveable companions and will be a rewarding experience.
digitalnirvana is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 18:55   #6428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hey I'm sorry if I'm giving unwanted advice. Please don't consider a Collie as a first dog or an apartment dwelling dog.

They are working dogs as herders, need lots of exercise and mental stimulation and can be too mischievous for their own good. They are extremely intelligent/smart and consistently top the charts in terms of intelligence. So they need tiring out both physically and mentally in order to be happy. Else you end up with a bored dog. And bored dogs are destructive dogs with behavioral issues. That's why lots of BCs end up in shelters abroad.

If you have a farm with decent space for running around and exploring please disregard all that I said. Because they are extremely loyal and loveable companions and will be a rewarding experience.
Thanks for the advice... I'll definitely pass it on. I'm not a dog person (or parent), but I've seen exactly what you said happen to dogs (of other breeds too) that are confined to apartments.

My friend has a villa and a lot of space to run around in the neighborhood, so hopefully that should be okay.
GrandTourer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 21:51   #6429

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
And bored dogs are destructive dogs
Spot on @digital nirvana.

In one of the online one-to-one sessions with "Amruth-DogGuru" mentioned about importance of mental and physical engagement. I took a note which I recollect every single day

"A tired dog is a happy dog"

Either infrastructure or family situation; either your own lifestyle or the support system around you; everything plays a vital part in selecting a pet.

However, miracles do happen. I met many pet parents that are "love at first sight" kind. They see someone, love it and instantly takes a life time commitment to bring him/her up in the best possible way with in their capacity.

I am a strict vegetarian, never touched eggs. For Simba, I cooked more chicken in the past few years than many "strict non-vegetarians"
facelyft is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 10:35   #6430

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
Yes, Malligators are not for first time owners, Apartment dwellers …well not even for those in city without a yard in their house.

As mentioned, they are high energy breeds and require lot of excercise, running around and mental simulation. Also owner has to invest time in getting them trained with basic discipline. Else it will become difficult to manage.

Had to research a lot before deciding on this breed …. Having them in farm and as a pair addresses physical activity and mental simulation issue. And weekends are fun time for both them and us.

Yoshi …in his puppy days.
Hi Naveen .. couldn't agree more to what you have said. This breed does need a LOT of exercise and attention . But If trained and socialized well they have no problems living in a flat .

Sharing a few pics of BEAR .
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo_6289460781988822314_y.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo_6289460781988822315_y.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo_6289460781988822316_y.jpg  

seawolf is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 19:07   #6431
BHPian

I am an odd man out here. For us, we have adopted a cat. We rescued it from a pack of dogs about a year back, when she was around 3 weeks old (estimated). The mother was not around, so out of hunger, she and her two siblings wandered into the street. The dogs attacked them and killed two of them before I was able to rescue her. Since then, she has become a part of the family. Here she is

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1707107683352-2024.02.05.jpg
pd1108 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 10:36   #6432

My name is Theo. I turned one today, but people tell me I sometimes look as old & grumpy as my overlord.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-theo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image.jpg
Stellantis is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 13:06   #6433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
I am an odd man out here. For us, we have adopted a cat. We rescued it from a pack of dogs about a year back, when she was around 3 weeks old (estimated). The mother was not around, so out of hunger, she and her two siblings wandered into the street. The dogs attacked them and killed two of them before I was able to rescue her.
Our neighborhood is full of dogs because of which cats have low survival rate. But this fella is a feral cat, who has the ability and guts to chase away dogs. Whenever we hear a stray dog yelping, it is probably because it tried to mess with the wrong cat:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240308_124542.jpg

Same no-nonsense look (eyes):

Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 206
Size:  842.7 KB

Being an old feral cat, he is not too keen on receiving affection or touch. So I ask the kids to maintain some distance, and pet the cat only in my presence:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240308_124629.jpg

He sometimes brings his friend along for a glass of warm milk:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20231027_145045.jpg

Whenever he graces us with his presence, we catch him taking a nap on the balcony (does not come inside the house):

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240308_134945.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th March 2024 at 13:58.
SmartCat is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 07:12   #6434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Our neighborhood is full of dogs because of which cats have low survival rate. But this fella is a feral cat, who has the ability and guts to chase away dogs. Whenever we hear a stray dog yelping, it is probably because it tried to mess with the wrong cat:
He recognizes the SmartCat you.
V.Narayan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 12:10   #6435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

Being an old feral cat, he is not too keen on receiving affection or touch. So I ask the kids to maintain some distance, and pet the cat only in my presence:

He sometimes brings his friend along for a glass of warm milk:

Attachment 2580815
The cat looks like a tiger trainer.

Not all feral cats are shy or mind their own business. It's all about their individual personalities. 7-8 years back I used to feed a stray Persian cat. She would not touch the food unless I pet him for a few minutes. He would sit outside my window for a couple of hours if I didn't pay attention to him or give him food. If I left food in my balcony when I was away, the food would still be there untouched. He was approx 7 years old as per the vet I once took him to.

He even learned to slide open the balcony door if it was not properly locked but never ventured inside the house. I have many photos of him but unfortunately the pics are locked in my HD that is not accessible now. Stays or pets bring positive vibes with them.

Vets always advised not to feed even diluted milk to cats or dogs. So i give them boiled eggs, boiled chicken, boiled rice etc. When nothing is available i feed them canned food like sardines, tuna etc. Milk is not beneficial for them and mostly does harm their gut. Cats sometimes eat biscuits or cakes too but carbohydrates/sugars are not good for their health.

My pet dog develops worms if feed milk for more than 1 day every 2 or 3 weeks.

There is one stray cat that resides near my building and is literally talkative along with demanding petting her. Going to get her spayed in a month or two.
Fuldagap is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks