Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2024, 11:03   #6466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I have too many cats anyway but about 5-6 of them are cool even if a dozen strangers walk right by them,
Are you sure they are not baby Jaguars?

They look pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the pics. Piqued my curiosity
deathwalkr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 12:56   #6467

This is chow. He is an idiot. He was a really weak stray kitten who barged in and made himself at home 3 months after I lost Leo, my beloved gsd baby girl.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20240307_190252.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20231123_002258.jpg  

Arclight09 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 07:31   #6468
BHPian

This is Gucci
But since he is in a punjabi household he is called gucchian ji.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0329.jpeg  

Bimmer_Sage is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 11:22   #6469

I've got 2 GSDs that I got during COVID lockdown. Both of them are from different parents , born about 15 days apart but came to my household on the same day. Even though they are the same breed, their personalities couldn't be more different.
Introducing the ever calm, confident, extrovert Mylo
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0153.jpeg
And the shy, stoic, introvert Tony
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0224.jpeg
Mylo loves interacting with humans even though he is stronger and bigger physically. Tony is the quintessential Guard dog. Never trusts strangers and takes time to get used to new people around him.
Mylo doesn't like cuddles and physical touch. He doesn't mind the occasional scratches but he is the one to initiate cuddles. He just has to have a line of sight to us. Tony loves cuddles and will gladly settle on your lap for a few scratches and cuddles. Love them both to bits though.
Kvk4life is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 21:16   #6470
Team-BHP Support

This is stray cat no.2 who comes home frequently -> although she looks like a bruiser too, she knows how to show affection like a normal pet cat. It is quite likely that she was somebody's pet once. Or more likely, she is probably fed scraps ocassionally by people in the neighborhood & is used to human touch.

Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 237
Size:  924.0 KB

We get rare visits (like once in a month!) from cat no. 3 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
I have posted earlier. I give them diluted curd (mixed with water in a mixer).
Mission Mosaru (curds) has been a part-success. They didn't like the taste of curds that much. So right now, just adding small quantity of curds to (milk + water). And then perhaps I can slowly reduce milk percentage over time.

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th March 2024 at 21:33.
SmartCat is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 21:32   #6471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
This is stray cat no.2 who comes home frequently -> although she looks like a bruiser too, she knows how to show affection like a normal pet cat. It is quite likely that she was somebody's pet once. Or more likely, she is probably fed by people in the neighborhood.

Attachment 2586315

We get rare visits (like once in a month!) from cat no. 3 too
What a great pic! Straight from are-you-talking-to-me from the Taxi Driver.

Quote:
Mission Mosaru (curds) has been a part-success. They didn't like the taste of curds that much. So right now, just adding small quantity of curds to (milk + water) right now. And then perhaps slowly reduce milk percentage over time.
Great! I hope they start accepting curd + water as their fate. Bad habits die hard though.
A queen I feed, literally gulps sardines daily but finds a can of Tuna disgusting and goes waste even if she is hungry and sardines aren't available.
Fuldagap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 13:41   #6472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by professortarzan View Post
Edit: Oops, I just realized I have written all that to someone whose handle is SmartCat. You probably know a lot more about them that I do.
Not an expert on cat psychology though. But yes, we've had cats at home for decades, on and off. Our home was/is sort of like a shelter (with treats) for stray cats in the neighborhood. None of them were 'pets' in the true sense, because we used to let them go outside the house for hunting. Some of them used to come back home only after 2 or 3 days.

At one point of time, we had 6 cats of different age/size at home. Photo dump alert - if anybody is allergic to cats, please look away:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00160.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc02682.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-billi-024.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0361.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p3030169.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1038.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1036.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6445.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6456.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th March 2024 at 13:51.
SmartCat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 19:29   #6473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Cats make you work to earn their trust and love. On the other hand dogs fall in love with you pretty easily and unconditionally. Even the stray dogs.
I think that is why when cats (stray cats even more so) show affection towards you it's more satisfying.
This is a very limited view so let me counter.

I have always been a dog person for the first 30 years of my life. We always have had dogs in our life. My life changed when a stray kitten almost came under my car back in 2013 and I rescued him from the busy street. He was a total homeboy, probably somebody dropped him off as he was turning into a cat (~4 months old) from a cute kitten. Since then I have had 6 cats and each and every one of them are a completely different personality. There are some overlap but each one is different.

Cat number 1 was a copy cat of a dog. He played fetch, used to come on leashless walks with me and he pretty much acted like a dog in all sense (probably came from a house with dogs).

Cat number 2 is a royal petting-magnet. Looked the splitting image of a persian (was an American long hair breed), he loved to be around humans, practically anyone. Currently he parades in my parents' house; mostly found in the verandah; anyone and everyone coming to the house are expected to pet him and he'll purr to anyone in return. There's no fear of any human; and because of his soft fur, he gets royal treatment from all, including strangers.

Cat number 3 (sibling to #2) was the complete opposite. He probably fit the profile you are talking about. Was only comfy to me and no one else. Unfortunately lost him a few years ago.

Cat number 4 is a weird one. She was very selective to females (/humans). She still is wary of me, but if I have a stranger (lady) in the house, she'll purr around her immediately. I have videos of my friends who have come to my house for the first time and this cat used to happily attach to them within mins.

Cat number 5 is a mix of all above (mostly friendly with all) but the best thing was he somehow gelled right early on with my son (<1yr). He allows the kid to do all kinds of stuff; the same if I attempted would get me scratches.

Cat number 6 again is another character. Again more selective to the female species but when in the mood, he'll demand petting from all. But for a limited time-bound period.

And I'm not even talking about the numerous super-friendly stray cats I have lived with. Very similar to stray dogs to be honest.

------------

The point I'm trying to make is yes, they are wary of humans. As a species, they haven't made peace with humans like dogs have. But I would never bracket all cats in one statement as you have done.
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 19:53   #6474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
... I would never bracket all cats in one statement as you have done.
No, they are indeed all unique individuals!

But there are traits which are fairly universal. Almost.

The comparison is usually cat<--->dog, I suppose because they are the majority human-companion animals. There are a number of jokes about the differences, but the one that sticks, for me, is:-
Dogs have masters; cats have staff.
Cats are very loving, very intelligent animals, but, to a large extent, only on their own terms. They insist on everything being their way. For instance, they decide where, when and how they want to be petted.

Perhaps I have a strong impression of this because I spoil my cats and encourage them to be this way!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 21:58   #6475
BHPian

Quote:
Not an expert on cat psychology though. But yes, we've had cats at home for decades, on and off. Our home was/is sort of like a shelter (with treats) for stray cats in the neighborhood. None of them were 'pets' in the true sense, because we used to let them go outside the house for hunting. Some of them used to come back home only after 2 or 3 days.
The cats in your neighborhood are lucky to have you, thanks for being so compassionate.

I am glad to have stumbled upon this thread, I am getting to know heartwarming people and their stories.
professortarzan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 22:53   #6476
Senior - BHPian

I don't have a pet dog at home, but my uncle has one back in India, his name is Spiky.

Just got a whatsapp message from him two hours back, saying Spiky is no more. He got emotional on the call that followed immediately. Told me how it happened and all, he was 10 years old. I feel bad for my uncle, he lost his wife in early years when we were kids, then the second marriage turned out to be a disaster, his own son and daughter had to distance from him due to this. Spiky was probably the only one who truly loved my uncle. It kind of explained the profound sadness in his voice :( ...
NiInJa is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 00:21   #6477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Just got a whatsapp message from him two hours back, saying Spiky is no more.
I can relate to his feelings as I have lost few who have crossed over the rainbow bridge and it takes time to come over it. This is the only most traumatizing and depressing thing to have as a furr pet.

If they could pen down the last message to their parent, it would probably go like this;

Quote:
My Dear Human,

I see that you are crying, for it is my moment to leave. Don't cry, please. I want to explain some things to you.

You're sad because I left, but I'm glad I met you.

How many dogs and cats and birds like me die daily without meeting someone special like you?

I know it saddens you my departure, but I had to go now.

I want to ask you not to blame yourself for anything. I heard you sobbing that you should have done something else for me. Don't say that, you've done a lot for me! Without you I would have known nothing of the beauty I carry with me today.

You must know that we animals live the present intensely and we are very wise: we enjoy every little thing every day, and forget the bad past quickly.

Our lives begin when we know love, the same love you gave me, my angel without wings and two legs.

Know that even if you find an animal that is seriously injured, and that you only have a little bit of time in this world, you provide a huge service by accompanying you in your final transition.

None of us likes to be alone, except when we realize it's time to leave.

Maybe for you it's not so important that one of you is next to us caressing us and holding our paw, helps us go in peace.

No more crying, please. I'll be happy. I have in memory the name you gave me, the warmth of your house that in this time became mine. I take the sound of your voice talking to me, even though I don't always understand what you were saying to me.

I carry in my heart every caress you gave me.
Everything you did was very valuable to me and I thank you endlessly, I don't know how to tell you, because I don't speak your language, but surely in my eyes you could see my gratitude.

I'm just gonna ask for two favors. Wash your face and start smiling.

Remember how good we live together these moments, remember the antics I made to cheer you up.

Relive like me all the good we share in this time.

And do not say you will not adopt another animal, because you have suffered a lot from my departure. Without you I would not live the beauties I lived.

Please don't do this! There are many like me waiting for someone like you.

Give them what you gave me, please, they need it just like I needed you.

Don't keep the love you have to give, for fear of suffering.

Follow my advice, cherish the good you share with each of us, recognizing that you are an angel to us animals, and that without people like you our life would be harder than sometimes it is.

Follow your noble task, now it's up to me to be your angel.

I will accompany you in your path and help you help others like me.

I will talk to other animals who are here with me, I will tell you everything you have done for me and I will point and say proudly: “that's my family.”

Tonight, when you look at the sky and see a blinking star I want you to know that it's me flashing an eye; warning you that I arrived well and telling you "thank you for the love you gave me".

I say goodbye now not saying "goodbye", but "see you later.”

There is a special sky for people like you, the sky where we go and life rewards us by making us meet there.

I'll be waiting for you!"
RIP Spiky
NomadSK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 10:06   #6478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I don't have a pet dog at home, but my uncle has one back in India, his name is Spiky.

Just got a whatsapp message from him two hours back, saying Spiky is no more.
At this point, your uncle needs a shoulder to rest on more than ever, I say this as someone who has been through turbulent times. You probably know this already, but please don't let him feel alone. He must be going through immeasurable pain, but knowing that someone's got his back will help him get through it. If you are not around him, try coordinating with friends and relatives so that he feels a tiny bit better. Be in constant touch with him and try to cheer him up. My heartfelt condolences, I hope Spiky is running around and playing on other side of the rainbow bridge.

EDIT: Also please consider getting him another pet, with his consent of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
If they could pen down the last message to their parent, it would probably go like this
This is so beautifully written, made my eyes moist. I know it's not the reality, but I choose to believe that there is an afterlife for pets and they are just happy there without any pain or anything to bother about.

Last edited by professortarzan : 27th March 2024 at 10:10. Reason: Added 'Edit'
professortarzan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 13:08   #6479
BHPian

Hello Bhpians.

Meet Scooby!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-scooby-intro.jpg

Named after a beloved cartoon, Scooby-Doo. Not name because we loved watching Scooby-Doo, but because our Scooby is very similar in nature to his cartoon namesake. Get's scared easily and does not trust anyone!

The story starts in August of 2021, when my younger brother comes across an Instagram post, where two pups were up for adoption. Some heartless soul, took two pups, which were just month old away from the mother and abandoned them on road side in the rains. The wet and scared pups were crying for help, when a angelic soul rescued them and took them home as a foster. My brother, mother and my wife grouped together and decided that one pup will be brought home. I was overruled and it was decided.

We drove to Bellandur in my Wagon-R and my mother picked up the brown pup with skinny legs, ears bigger than his face and a bloated belly. He needs to be saved.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-scooby-pup.jpg
The day we brough him home.

All the way the poor dog was shivering in fear hearing the new voices trying to come up with names. My brother exclaimed "Scooby". Shit Scared, doesn't make any noise. All agreed, Scooby it was!

Drove him to the vet, where it was diagnosed that his belly is full or worms. We treated him, saw that all vaccinees would be administered at right time. Within a month, our pup got healthy, started trusting us and started playing. He knew, we were his family and he was amongst his own!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-scooby-his-favorite-ball.jpg
Around 4-5 months old with his favorite ball.

Now he has grown up strong and fit. Still gets scared easily.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-scooby-adult.jpg

He loves to trek with us and a very good climber.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-scooby-treck.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fav-pic-scooby.jpg

My Favorite picture with Scooby at the summit of a trek.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-scooby-post-trek.jpg
Scooby on his way back tired after a long trek.

Last edited by mm_shen : 27th March 2024 at 13:11.
mm_shen is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 21:53   #6480
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_shen View Post
Hello Bhpians.

Meet Scooby!
I really love positive rescue stories like these. I have to ask though, do you know what happened to Scooby's sibling? Ever since I read in your post about 2 pups and only 1 getting adopted, all I could think about was that other puppy. Just to be very clear, my aim is not to make you feel guilty or something. You have made the world a better place by adopting Scooby.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks