Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2021, 13:03   #5671
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The problem with writing here is that people jump into the frey with their own opinions without a full depth of the background, that is ok, I deem all opinions as just that.
Well, unfortunately that is how the social media works. One can comment only based on what is being shared with him/her.

One think I have learnt is social media counselling/arguments hardly change anyone so I usually don't get into these, this time I just could not resist. I hope you get stronger with every passing day and never get into a situation where the other person is stronger than you.
Old 14th May 2021, 13:30   #5672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi guys, we plan to keep a dog in our farm house and want to keep a local breed dog. We had a GS 10 years back, so not new to keeping pets, but have no knowledge of breeds. Is there a specific breed that i should look at, or should i pick a street dog litter and raise it as our pet?

Also one observation. Around my area ( i stay in Jalandhar), i now see 2 huskies going about their round in the evening with their master. Can these dogs survive our climate, isnt our weather cruel on them? The dogs themselves look quite healthy and seem to be enjoying their time.
Hi rrsteer,

Just saw your post. I have an indie and GSD mix about 2.5 years of age and absolutely healthy. I had rescued him about an year back. Currently he’s in a shelter but his life is really miserable there. He is perfect for a farm. Please let me know if you are interested. We can work on arrangements of sending him to Jalandher if you are interested.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 10:24   #5673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Same fate awaits any and all animal abusers who enter my line of sight.
"The world suffers a lot. Not because of the violence of bad people, But because of the silence of good people!" - Napoleon Bonaparte.
May your tribe increase !
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 11:09   #5674
Senior - BHPian

Lost our Pet, Bruno, a Doberman unexpectedly on 16th March this year.

He had his dinner at 7-45Pm normally that day, and we all were having ours around 9-25Pm; he got up around 9-26, as if he wanted to puke, we rushed to walk him out, 3 steps and he collapsed near the door, a couple of struggle for breaths, One Scream, and he was gone by 9:28PM. Still Cannot figure out, what would have happened to him. He was healthy and all of 18 months

As a family we still haven't gotten over this loss. We got him to mate around 10th March, and his pups were born on 12th May this year, waiting to adopt one of his kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-172343100_3329222103844894_7760969907650131462_n.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-173422719_3329226457177792_230069566170067945_n.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 15th May 2021 at 11:12.
akshay4587 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 15:59   #5675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
As someone who lost his 10 year old dog recently I can feel your pain, but your dog died too young, he had lots of years ahead. He wasn't replaceable but his pup will give you some solace and keep you busy again at least.
yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 11:15   #5676
BHPian

Quote:
He was healthy and all of 18 months
We got him to mate around 10th March, and his pups were born on 12th May this year, waiting to adopt one of his kids.
In all probability your Bruno may have died due to Dilated Cardiomyopathy -a fatal hereditary disease affecting many large breed dogs, especially Dobermann Pinschers. Since it is hereditary, it may have passed on to its progeny.
Another thing is if your pet was barely 18 months, it shouldn't have been allowed to mate.
There is a blood test to check for a marker of DC which I forgot. I had been researching about diseases affecting dogs.

We all love our animals no end.
Prowler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 08:13   #5677
BHPian

My birdies Chirpy & Puffy. They are lovebirds and have been with us for more than a year now. They are not hand-tamed or trained and hence not too comfortable around humans. But they've come to recognise me and my family as friendly and are relaxed around us, even eating seeds/pellets from my hand.

They stay in their cage (2.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 ft) most of the time with their food, water and toys. Every once in a while I release them inside a double-bed mosquito net, so they have more room to enjoy. They travel with us in the car when we visit my hometown and enjoy the gardens at my parent's house.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_10540101.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_075901101.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_07590101.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_10750101.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_09930101.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_06720201.jpeg
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 10:40   #5678
Senior - BHPian

Since Bruno had passed away unexpectedly in March, the void he left cannot be filled. But being pooch lovers, it was so hard to stay without one.

So while returning from my Morning walk on 9th April, I came across this Little Munchkin chasing a pair of cattle alone, looked around there was no pooch around him, which made it clear, either he was abandoned or got separated from his family.

Came back home, discussed with my family, and we all agreed immediately to bring the baby home; drove back to the spot, and as luck would have it, he was running towards my home in the middle of the road. Struggled a bit to get him in the car, since he was scared; brought him home and gave him a nice bath with anti tick shampoo.

Immediately named him,Max; he must have been 3-4 weeks old when we got him.

He is now Max- The Boss Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_9246.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_9247.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3757.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3754.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_9275.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_9286.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 18th May 2021 at 10:46.
akshay4587 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 12:58   #5679
BHPian

I would love to hear advice from dog experts on how to keep dog's tick and flea free?.

I have an Indian Pariah who is an year old, last week he had a lot of hair fall, I brushed off thinking it might be normal, I also gave him a bath, the hair fall didn't stop and it got me worried. A couple of days back I spotted a good sized tick which was clinging on to his neck and I carefully removed it. After that the hair fall has reduced drastically.

What precautionary measures can be taken against ticks & fleas? Electronic comb maybe?
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 13:09   #5680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
I would love to hear advice from dog experts on how to keep dog's tick and flea free?.
16 years with my Indie breed, always used the good old conventional method.

Once or twice a week, would spend a good half-one hour massaging the pooch. This would strengthen our bond, give him a good massage and would be a good marker to check any ticks/fleas or infection under skin.

Since we never chained him, he would once in a bluemoon get involved in fights with other dogs and would bring home the war trophy (bruises/cuts/bites). Regular monitoring helped us manage the wounds in the initial stage and helped in right treatment too.

Also, during the rainy seasons, when the tick infestation increases, we used "NOTIXS-P" powder to dust him. Its available on flipkart.
Grr7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 13:11   #5681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since Bruno had passed away unexpectedly in March, the void he left cannot be filled. But being pooch lovers, it was so hard to stay without one.

BEST DECISION EVER!

Trust me, you won't regret this for years. We have been through this path half a decade ago when my parents lost our first dog due to old age (~12 years). I came back home from overseas during a break to find everyone down in the dumps even though it had been over 2 months. Took my mom to Blue Cross (Chennai) animal rescue center and we adopted up a puppy. Never been a dull day since then. Loads of fun up your alley for sure!
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 13:26   #5682
BHPian

Quote:

I have an Indian Pariah who is an year old, last week he had a lot of hair fall, I brushed off thinking it might be normal, I also gave him a bath, the hair fall didn't stop and it got me worried. A couple of days back I spotted a good sized tick which was clinging on to his neck and I carefully removed it. After that the hair fall has reduced drastically.

What precautionary measures can be taken against ticks & fleas? Electronic comb maybe?
Have been using a tick collar on Tipsy since nearly 4 years, which we change every 3/4 months.

It's a bit expensive but worth it, especially on Pomeranian as they have a thick coat.

Available on Amazon.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st May 2021 at 17:07. Reason: typo
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 13:58   #5683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For my cats, I use the one-drop treatment. You put it on the skin at the base of skull, being the hardest place for them to reach with a tongue! It's claimed to last a month, but unless you have a serious infestation (fleas actually live more in the environment than on the animal, so will come back when they can), it last much longer. According to my experience, at least three months. I just use it when I see a flea or a tick.

It's important to note that there is a different treatment for cats and dogs. The dog formula can and does killl cats . Double check what kind of animal you have before using

Oh dear, death of cats. Actually I am very sad. This week we lost one cat. Missing one evening, found dead the next morning. I have lived with and lost so many animals, and am used to the fact that a cat's life in India tends to be a fraction of its expectancy in Britain. But I am so sad to loose this one.

She passed through our garden first just over three years ago, and my tom cat fell in love with her. I knew we should be neutering, but left it too late. She stayed, and delivered three kittens (two lost to dogs, one remaining). After pregnancy she was greatly overweight, although recently we had some success with imposing diet on her. She was a huge character, very vocal and demanding.

RIP Silky
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 16:11   #5684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My wife insists this is what I look like when I'm fast asleep. Now I can tell her I have company.
That is a handsome self assured cannine you have there. Good selection. He/she is clearly both comfortable and confident in his/her new home.

He looks like a desi dog my maternal grandfather had 1964 to 1976 with some Doberman DNA in him. Every day in the afternoon he would jump over a 5 foot high compound wall spend time with his girlfriends and jump back in at tea time.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 21st May 2021 at 16:17.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 16:13   #5685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
For my cats, I use the one-drop treatment. You put it on the skin at the base of skull, being the hardest place for them to reach with a tongue! It's claimed to last a month, .... it last much longer. According to my experience, at least three months.
I believe it is called 'Spot on' and yes it works wonders, definitely lasts more than a month. Been using it on all dogs we've had/have.

Apart from which Animal you are going to use it for, you must also check the weight category of your pet and use one accordingly, IIRC for dogs they have it in 3 weight categories.

The trick is to empty the tube right in between their shoulder blades like you mentioned it being the hardest part for them to lick. Also, the hair needs to be pushed aside in order to empty it onto the skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
RIP Silky
Never easy to loose a family member.
May her soul rest in peace.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks