Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 14:18   #5806
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestions. Never knew ticks could be so dangerous. I'll consult my local vet asap and proceed with the treatment.
Consulting a vet is the best way to deal with tick problem. And also do not remove them with your bare hands, use tick removal tool and make sure you dispose off the ticks carefully. As someone suggested above, spot on treatment works wonderfully for lice, I used it for my cat, I'm not sure about treatment for dogs.
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 16:10   #5807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Ask for "Spot on" at a pet store ...
Repeating the usual warning!

One-drop flea/tick treatments for dogs and cats are different formulations.

Make sure you use the right one for the right animal: the dog treatment can kill cats.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 23:02   #5808

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Guys, any effective remedies for ticks in dogs?
Hello.
I had Labrador male dog who passed away. Now I have 2.5 years female Golden Retriever, Gracie.

My previous Labrador had heavy tick infestation due to stay at dog hostel. We tried following after consulting vet and few of my dog lover friends :

1. Regular brushing in 2 opposite directions.

2. Regular bath with any good shampoo with scrubber.

3. I used 'RIDD solution' on skin surface at hair roots as recommended by vet and it's quite effective. It's contra indicated in small pups though. It's neurotoxic, so use with caution.

4. Subcutaneous 'injection of ivermectin' can be used along with Ridd.

5. Vet once recommended 'Spot on cream' for local application, but I have no personal experience of its use.

Ticks are bound to infest, but we can reduce its severity by few measures as mentioned.

Tick fever can be life threatening also. So ticks need to be dealt with proper measures.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Consulting a vet is the best way to deal with tick problem. And also do not remove them...
Very true. Either crush the removed ticks in news paper and throw away.

Or put ticks in turpentine oil or kerosene. They will die eventually.

But pulling ticks deeply adherent to dog's skin can cause deep ulcer with lot of bleeding, so be careful.

Regards

Last edited by Eddy : 12th September 2021 at 03:46. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Kiran Joshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 10:26   #5809
Senior - BHPian

Ticks a big problem in dogs. There are a few methods to reduce it :

1. Garlic and Turmeric in food reduces tick infestation a lot.

2. A healthy dog will always have less ticks than one not so healthy. So ensure the internal health of the dog.

3. Bathe the dog regularly. Use dog and anti tick shampoos.

4. In sever infestation use the "Anti Tick Drops". The dosage varies with the weight so ensure that the correct dose is used.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 21:18   #5810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Ticks a big problem in dogs. There are a few methods to reduce it :

We used Neem oil on our dog every once in a while, it was very effective against most skin infection and also on ticks too.
motorpsycho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:16   #5811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
We used Neem oil on our dog every once in a while, it was very effective against most skin infection and also on ticks too.
In fact that is one of the best eco friendly pesticides. We used to shred and boil the Neem leaves to make a thick paste and then apply it on our dog as well as on the plants infected by bugs.

A friend of mine used it to spray in his garden, and that reduced mosquitoes.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 15:46   #5812
BHPian

Hi Everyone, I am Satya. I joined tbhp very recently. I was doing an usual google search on my dog's health and came to this thread! I am amazed with the kind of content this thread has accumulated over last 17 years. I am still reading through the posts, but it isn't easy .

About my pets:

In the past I have had many small pets like turtles, hamster, fancy rats, a few fish tanks(mainly cichlids and livebearers), a rescued squirrel.

Currently I have guppies, gold fishes and betta in 3 different tanks. All of them are planted with non-co2 setups. Since the goldfish like to graze, they have a fenced plantation. The intention was to absorb as much ammonia from the tanks and assist with the filtering. All the fishes are doing well.

But the star of our family is our Lucy, a 8 yo female Labrador, who came to us a rescue 2 months back.

We had been thinking of adopting a dog for a long time, but because of the lifestyle changes it would bring, we weren't sure. About 2 months back, we heard about Lucy, who was at a shelter nearby. She had a traumatic past. She is a puppy mill mother, who was abandoned when she couldn't deliver anymore. On top of that she was bred in every heat cycle she had. She has probably spent all her life in a cage, giving birth and feeding her pups. She was in a very bad state when she was first taken in by an NGO(SAW) and sent her to the shelter(ART, Pune). The great people at ART helped her recover from maggot wounds and malnutrition.

When she was ready to be adopted, we took her in. She came to us as a very scared girl, and never went near a dog or human. She chose a corner in the house and would be scared even to come out to eat. She didn't eat for almost two days until she started eat a little from our hands. My wife was very patient and would sit hours next to her to make her feel safe. As she started to trust us, she only stayed near us and would hide at the sight of another human or dog.

But 2 months later, she has her favorite humans and dogs, she likes to go play with and get belly rubs . She loves her 'chimken rice' and waits very patiently when I prepare her bowl. And most importantly, she loves car rides. She has to go on a drive at the end of her every walk. She would just pull towards the car and sit there, demanding a drive. One day she even escaped and guess where she was? Near our car 5 floors down! We have done at least 5 trips with her, the longest being Pune-Mumbai-Pune, she has been very comfortable with them. We have put up a mattress and foam padding to keep her snug and safe and we are slowly introducing her to longer drives to make sure she is comfortable. We just want to give her the life she deserves and ours has been a lot beautiful after having her in our lives.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-7x8a0577.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-7x8a0735.jpg  

satyabrata.dash is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 01:39   #5813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyabrata.dash View Post
But the star of our family is our Lucy, a 8 yo female Labrador, who came to us a rescue 2 months back.
The look in Lucy’s eyes and her demeanour is like she is an extremely kind old soul! You have done something which is beyond words by adopting and giving her the life she deserves. Lots to love to Lucy and kudos to both of you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 08:22   #5814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The look in Lucy’s eyes and her demeanour is like she is an extremely kind old soul! You have done something which is beyond words by adopting and giving her the life she deserves. Lots to love to Lucy and kudos to both of you.

Cheers
Thank you for your kind words . She indeed is a very kind and forgiving soul, the way she accepted us and gave us humans a second chance. We just dont want to let her down this time.
satyabrata.dash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 08:39   #5815
BHPian

Recently we also used a tablet called Simparica. It has worked wonderfully well. But it is expensive, at Rs. 800 and has guaranteed protection for 35 days. After 8 hours of ingesting this, ticks die and start falling off the skin.
satyabrata.dash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 11:06   #5816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyabrata.dash View Post
So good to see Lucy in caring hands. She looks precious.

We had a neighbour who had adopted two rescue beagles (Bunty and Bubbles) who were lab animals in a cosmetic plant. When they were brought home, it took the female beagle (bubbles) more than a year to trust humans, she was always afraid and didn't even like to come down for a walk. The other male dog was little better in getting used to new faces. But since both the dogs were confined to cage right from their birth, both of them suffered from hip issues. Luckily now it's sorted and they enjoy their walks and my son loves playing with them.

I would love to adopt rescue dogs, but I know I do not have the time to take care of these wonderful creatures.
speedmiester is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 11:26   #5817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

I would love to adopt rescue dogs, but I know I do not have the time to take care of these wonderful creatures.
Happy to see that clarity of thought. It takes time and effort and there's no set pattern or timelines to keep in mind. Rescued dogs that come from a tough (past) situation make it even more complex.

Case in point (not exactly a rescued pet situation in the absolute definition) - our second cat was rescued from the streets of Mumbai and he definitely had scars of his earlier (kitten) life on the roads of Mumbai, probably from men. Also he had bonded very well with the foster lady so there was definitely some apprehension in bonding with us.

Thankfully our other cat bonded extremely well with him within a week's time and they became chum buddies for life, as if they came from the same litter. However it was a completely different matter with us - he used to be extremely scared of us, especially me.

It's been a year of living with them, and only now we see the cat bonding with us. He's gradually becoming a duplicate of our other cat - begging for petting all the time, happily sleeping next to us without a care in the world and all other aspects a normal domesticated pet cat would be doing.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 12:11   #5818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

It's been a year of living with them, and only now we see the cat bonding with us. He's gradually becoming a duplicate of our other cat - begging for petting all the time, happily sleeping next to us without a care in the world and all other aspects a normal domesticated pet cat would be doing.
It's amazing how they get over their apprehensions and fears and learn to give back love. In our case, we never expected Lucy to fully trust us and give back love. We only thought we would try to make her feel safe. We weren't even sure if she would understand that this is her forever place after going through the breeder, two NGOs and then coming here. But she has done much better and her true personality is displaying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
So good to see Lucy in caring hands. She looks precious.

We had a neighbour who had adopted two rescue beagles (Bunty and Bubbles) who were lab animals in a cosmetic plant. When they were brought home, it took the female beagle (bubbles) more than a year to trust humans, she was always afraid and didn't even like to come down for a walk. The other male dog was little better in getting used to new faces. But since both the dogs were confined to cage right from their birth, both of them suffered from hip issues. Luckily now it's sorted and they enjoy their walks and my son loves playing with them.

Thank you for your kind words! Appreciate your thoughts on pet keeping. People don't understand that pet keeping, especially a dog isn't for everyone and they are babies you will have to care for next 12-14 years.

Also, about Beagles being used in labs, many go blind due to the testing. What a shame! using poor creatures for our luxuries? Never having experienced love and care, never having known how to interact with another living being, confined to a cage forever, it can be very hard for them to believe that good things can happen. I really respect your neighbor, and feel happy for those fur babies.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th September 2021 at 13:16. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
satyabrata.dash is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 17:10   #5819
BHPian

I saw this wound on the back of a puppy. It is open now, I'm guessing the mumma dog licked it off. How should I tend to this open wound now ? Or should I take the pup to the vet ? He's only 11 days old, I'm not sure how I can take him to the vet.Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210916_080920.jpg
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:34   #5820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I saw this wound on the back of a puppy. It is open now, I'm guessing the mumma dog licked it off. How should I tend to this open wound now ? Or should I take the pup to the vet ? He's only 11 days old, I'm not sure how I can take him to the vet.Attachment 2208573
This wound is quite big and I would recommend taking him to a vet asap otherwise there is a big chance of it getting infected badly. However if it is very difficult to take him to a vet, try calling the vet to your place.
Else if there is no other option, you can apply Povidone liquid to the wound to prevent infection. After it dries up a bit, apply Clotrisorb powder to the wound. It will help close the wound faster. However seeing the size of the wound it may need stitches to heal. Do try whatever best possible given the situation. The puppy would also need some mild antibiotic too to prevent Infection hence consulting a vet would be best to ensure his survival.
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks