Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 06:25   #5656
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I just love cats and I honestly believe they are great stress-busters! I remember, we once had 7 cats in our household!
Love both cats and dogs so let me put it this way, cats to me are highly evolved spiritual beings who're at the apex of the animal kingdom, clean, fussy, highly intelligent and evolving continuously, they are the Gentry/Brahmin class of the pet world.

Dogs are kinda dumb (always after affection, not too worried about themselves), sort of selfless, not really looking after their own interests, well save for those smaller breeds like Pomeranians or Lhasapso (hate both). Dogs also sabotage themselves by random acts of aggression because they don't think and people don't know how to handle them.

Again I love both, but cats to me are at another level of intelligence, I vibe better with them.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 06:54   #5657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I am told that relative to dogs managing a cat is a dream and that they need minimum taking care of, no walking them out for their ablutions etc. My sister has kept a cat, or a series of them, for decades. Somehow I always felt dogs are more friendly, loyal, cute and fun. I would be grateful for your views.
That might be an extreme oversimplification. Like kind of the statement one would hear that girls are dad's favorites while boys turn out to be mom's

In the end, both are amazing as pets to have. Each bring a certain set of responsibilities on the parents and not everyone sees those as a task. For example, I know dog owners who aren't fans of walking their dogs but then there are others who enjoy doing it and don't even consider it as a chore. Cats in general are lesser "needy" on you, especially as they grow older. But they would still have to be taken care of in other aspects than dogs.

Cats can be extremely loyal too. I had a cat who displayed several characteristics of a dog - I would take him on walks (without leash), extremely friendly with all, especially kids and loved traveling in my car. Cats develop very distinct personalities as they grow up - the two I have now are as different as chalk and cheese; even though they have literally lived the same life together with us. One bonds to me, the other one with my wife more. One is literally a monkey, climbing up all cupboards and very nosy. The other one is more playful but stays on the ground mostly. Both are different from the other cats I have had in the past.

So I don't think we can generalize anything. But I'll say this - If you or your family are now considering cat(s) instead of a dog(s) , that might not be a bad decision at all. And cats do really great, when considered in pairs, especially on the "taking care" aspect. I'd say one would have to do lesser efforts for a pair than a single cat.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th May 2021 at 07:08.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:38   #5658
BHPian

Quote:
I am told that relative to dogs managing a cat is a dream and that they need minimum taking care of, no walking them out for their ablutions etc. My sister has kept a cat, or a series of them, for decades. Somehow I always felt dogs are more friendly, loyal, cute and fun. I would be grateful for your views.
Yes, absolutely true. Dogs are more loyal and fun to have than cats. It's said that cats come home only for food, water and shelter. A dog comes home for his pet parent! I had 2 dogs and earlier as a teenager had one society cat to take care of. She was lovable however my dogs were like hundred times more interested in me. I find cats very lazy and self centred. They would play and come to you only when they see something good for themselves or for food. A dog comes running to you in excitement and happiness of seeing you, even if you are away for few hours.
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:45   #5659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I always felt dogs are more friendly, loyal, cute and fun. I would be grateful for your views.
You're a dog person. Period.

Quote:
, "Cat is man's second best friend"
Correction : Man is a cat's acquaintance.
mayankk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 09:31   #5660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Love both cats and dogs so let me put it this way, cats to me are highly evolved spiritual beings who're at the apex of the animal kingdom, clean, fussy, highly intelligent and evolving continuously, they are the Gentry/Brahmin class of the pet world.

Again I love both, but cats to me are at another level of intelligence, I vibe better with them.
I agree with you.
Actually we have always had cats and dogs together since my childhood. Only since last 3-4 years, we are without dogs and have collectively decided to stay away from dogs for personal reasons. The dogs we had were really good and ferocious ones, Labradors and Alsatians mostly. It's common to see cats lying on anything and everything in the house. They rest on our laps, on living room couches, beds, writing/dining table, refrigerator, washing machine, inverter, kids' toys and even on rooftop! While I am comfortable with all this (except one thing, cats lying on car top ), I am never comfortable allowing dogs inside and seating them beside me on a couch. I guess this is because I only like dogs, but I love cats
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:02   #5661
Senior - BHPian

Sharing my "heart in my mouth incident #2" with my pet lover bhpians here. Its about a lab that belongs to a friend. His name is Magic.

So Magic has a new house now. My friend moved to a new locality and because the upstairs terrace was still under renovation we had to take Magic down to the street at night (sometime past 10:30 - 11pm) for a walk and loo-break before turning in for the night.

Now the issue is, the lane has lots of resident Indies and they dont like their new neighbour. Whenever we take him for a walk they would bark the hell out at each other. Just to be safe we usually go down in a pair, its usually me and my friend or my friend and her sister or her daddy and sister.

Now, the other day I took him down for the night walk and, usually, Magic pulls like crazy and thats not even when he sees another dog. He just runs around and we run with him (good cardio); obviously with the leash in hand.

But that night the resident doggos started approaching him in packs. So we decided to cut short the walk and take him inside the house. I handed over the leash to my friend and said good bye as I was about to leave. We were inside the house but the main door was open as I was just leaving. The Indies were outside barking and Magic decides to bolt. He pulled so hard that the leash came out of my friend's grasp and he ran straight out of the house.

If you could have a heat attack for an infinite period, that was what happened to us for the next 5 minutes. This was something i only feared but was now experiencing. He ran after the street dogs (there were 2-3 of them) and they ran after him. Magic chased one of them for around 50m and I was running after them. There were other dogs running after them but obviously with different motives. There was wedding hall at the end of the street and people attendees standing on the road started shouting and running around because the whole pack almost ran into the small crowd of people. Now there was a local standing there who saw this and tried to shoo away the Indies. I reached the spot and jumped on Magic and quickly picked up his leash.

Everyone was in one piece. No bites, no wounds, thankfully. Magic was brought home and had a thorough checkup the next day. Nothing serious.

This incident actually shook all of us. I genuinely thought our little lab will get thrashed by the street doggos.

As of now his night walks have been cancelled. The terrace is ready and is quite big so he can do whatever he wants. He goes for 2-3 walks during the day but the resident indies are usually not there during the day.

Last edited by Pancham : 12th May 2021 at 10:25.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:20   #5662
BHPian

Quote:
I am told that relative to dogs managing a cat is a dream and that they need minimum taking care of, no walking them out for their ablutions etc. Somehow I always felt dogs are more friendly, loyal, cute and fun. I would be grateful for your views.
You can't generalize about cats and dogs. They come in different breeds and sizes and level of intelligence.
I always lived with dogs and cats all my life.

I had a cat which almost belonged to the cat-equivalent of Mensa club. Once it wanted to attract some attention from me - so it walked in all right from outside and jumped in through a window - then after seeing me it started to limp and came to with a sad look in its expressive face.
I had another cat which was so dumb, I had to leave it in Blue Cross. It almost punctured my eyes for the crime of putting my face close to it.

As for dogs, German Shepherds, (almost all my dogs)are loyal and highly intelligent but ferocious too. I have been bitten by my own dogs - not in anger of course.

Dogs surely need support every day unlike cats which can manage days without any support from us. Even cats which are completely dependent on us go AWOL when they are on heat. Cats can fend for themselves by hunting for small animals and birds. They can cover 500 meter as part of their territory. It is easy to care for cats - you just leave a window open and feed when they come home.

Dogs need hand holding from water to snacks. They are like children - all their lives.
Prowler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 13:25   #5663
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, thank you very much for each of your responses. Most useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Dogs need hand holding from water to snacks. They are like children - all their lives.
That sounds very apt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You're a dog person. Period.
Correction : Man is a cat's acquaintance.
:-):-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
It's said that cats come home only for food, water and shelter. A dog comes home for his pet parent!
They would play and come to you only when they see something good for themselves or for food. A dog comes running to you in excitement and happiness of seeing you, even if you are away for few hours.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
In the end, both are amazing as pets to have.
And cats do really great, when considered in pairs, especially on the "taking care" aspect. I'd say one would have to do lesser efforts for a pair than a single cat.
Interesting point about a pair of cats.
Quote:
Yes, what you have been told is right broadly speaking. The adage "Dog is man's best friend" is no doubt true. If you ask me, cats are not far behind. Probably, "Cat is man's second best friend"
Cats need minimum care but no less attention.
Thanks for this titbit of information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Dogs have owners; cats have staff.
Well said. I've seen this with my sister and her cats for decades.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 18:45   #5664
Distinguished - BHPian

Do not under-estimate the emotion of cats.

My youngest (3, but known as "Kitten") may be a wild murderous thing outdoors, but when when she comes inside she is like a two-year-old baby in her demand for attention and affection.

Some cats would, perhaps more like most dogs, simply come and sit by the object of their affection, or jump onto that person's lap, but others are like Kitten. First, she will sit by the front door, as she quickly learnt that, if I think she wants to go out, I'll soon get up. But then, she will go to the other side of the room, and I have to follow her. In fact, she will take me for a walk around the room.

Years ago, in London, I had a cat who slept on my bed anyway, and was free to come and go. However, quite regularly, she would meeow at the bottom of the stairs when I had gone to bed, because she wanted attention, and it was not good enough for her to simply come to me: I had to go to her and follow her to a particular chair.

You hear people described as a cat or a dog person. A cat person is idiot enough to give in to and pamper these habits and tricks. A sucker.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 09:54   #5665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess this is because I only like dogs, but I love cats
The Achilles heel of dogs is their explosive aggression without provocation and chasing bikes when they go at high speed, that stereotypes them as highly dangerous beings and everyone throws stones and tries to harm them, which in turn fuels their aggressive behavior more, tragic.

The other day a Dunzo guy was being aggressive with a dog outside my home, thought I admit the dog started it, he then chased after it and picked a stone, I had it and had to step in, caught the guy by his throat, slammed him down, picked up his phone out of his bike and threatened him with real harm the next time he even enters my street. I was way, way stronger that he could ever imagine to be.

Same fate awaits any and all animal abusers who enter my line of sight.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 11:51   #5666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is picking on a weaker (physically, socio-economically, and obviously influentially) person and actually getting violent with him better than a person threatening a dog that comes to attack them?

What is one supposed to do when a possibly rabid dog chases you? Stand and get bitten? (I guess so, if the alternative is to be hammered by local vigilantes! )

On a lighter note, once the pandemic is over, can I borrow your skills? There are a few illegal animal breeders in my neighborhood who even cross dogs from the same litter to sell puppies. Need someone to dish out instant justice! (just kidding, taking the law into one's hands seems wrong.)

Last edited by am1m : 14th May 2021 at 11:56.
am1m is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 12:13   #5667
BHPian

Quote:
The Achilles heel of dogs is their explosive aggression without provocation and chasing bikes when they go at high speed, that stereotypes them as highly dangerous beings and everyone throws stones and tries to harm them, which in turn fuels their aggressive behavior more, tragic.

The other day a Dunzo guy was being aggressive with a dog outside my home, thought I admit the dog started it, he then chased after it and picked a stone, I had it and had to step in, caught the guy by his throat, slammed him down, picked up his phone out of his bike and threatened him with real harm the next time he even enters my street. I was way, way stronger that he could ever imagine to be.

I love animals to death, specially dogs but I think this is just plain wrong & unnecessary, specially if it was the dog who started it. There are people who are scared of dogs & nothing wrong with it. You could have just warned him verbally, if you thought he was getting violent with dog.

I feel for the poor chap, he had a worst day then that dog. I hope you returned his phone, if not, please do. This is not legal, this is not human.
Engine_Roars is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 12:21   #5668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That's a horrible thing to do. In my opinion you are the worst of the three. The dog probably was just acting on its instincts, and like most street dogs, would have let the guy go eventually. The dunzo guy probably was one of the larger set who don't understand that dogs chasing/Barking at them are just 'guarding' their territories and in 9/10 scenarios let one be unless provoked. A fool but misguided /unaware fool. Right step would have been to explain/show him th dog was harmless.

Very very poor sense of judgement there by you.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 12:47   #5669
BHPian

Quote:
caught the guy by his throat, slammed him down, picked up his phone out of his bike and threatened him with real harm
Do you want to get arrested? Because that's how you get arrested! Moreover nowadays people are getting hostile towards animals lovers who feed street animals regularly, there have been many instances of mob targeting animals lovers after an argument.
You should have just warned him, no need to get physical.

I know your user name is dark.knight but please don't take it literally man, unless you actually see someone abusing animals
Old 14th May 2021, 12:47   #5670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
I feel for the poor chap, he had a worst day then that dog. I hope you returned his phone, if not, please do. This is not legal, this is not human.
I would draw the line where a man returns back and forth, zig zagging and chasing an animal, where all he could've done is zoom away (he was not bitten or approached too close to comfort either), then getting off the bike to pick up a stone kinda had to have my presence there to cool things down.

The problem with writing here is that people jump into the frey with their own opinions without a full depth of the background, that is ok, I deem all opinions as just that. Thank you for asking though, indeed I returned the phone in less than 10 seconds, as soon as he cooled down, also I too think that he had a bad day, otherwise he wouldn't have done that, or maybe cumulative effect of dogs chasing them?

The problem with mankind's love with themselves is that they get too caught up in it and consider animals as 2nd rate, that is why we are here today in this position. I never saw that person as socio economicially or influentially or physically weaker, I just saw unnecessary tageting and neutralized it and the only reason he calmed down quickly and didn't respond is that he knew he was overdoing it.

You can be assured that I don't take or keep other's property, that is indeed robbery,and no, he sure wasn't afraid of dogs, he was trying to dominate them and there were witnesses to that. Watching things in real time and writing it here is a big difference, I hope you understand.

If anyone still has a point of view that mankind should unconditionally love mankind even at the cost of any other species, then consider me a misanthrope.

Last edited by dark.knight : 14th May 2021 at 12:48.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks