Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 11:25   #5551
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Update :

The pups are growing fast and getting habituated to the food thrown away by our colony members. To get them used to my home, I got two pups inside my compound and they started exploring the trash bin. Mother dog comes in after some time and starts crying for them joined by their other two siblings. This whole scene is quite noisy and attention drawing hence had to leave them out.

I am little worried as they might get to be un-tamable and picking qualities from other dogs and her mother.

Suggestions please
Update :
Sad to say that this intervention was a total FAILURE.

As I wanted to wait for some more time before adopting two pups (out of 4). One died after eating something. Two pups went missing, not sure if someone had picked or they died. If it was the latter I would have known cause they stick within 100 metres of my home. There is the one pup left which has become quite a mess now pairing with his mother and she doesn't allow to get her inside my house.

There is this thought always in mind that maybe I should have brought them in much earlier which meant they would miss the networking/bonding lessons from her mom.

But yes, I continue to feed all the strays of my colony daily.

Not sure when would I get somebody in.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 14th December 2020 at 11:26.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 00:21   #5552
BHPian

It's sad to hear about the puppies, but that's what normally happen, otherwise we would have too many dogs around us.

Recently i went to my ancestral village for a few days and there were these indie puppies, i can confidently say that i haven't seen such healthy and different looking puppies for the entirety of my life, the parents of the pups are normal looking Indian dogs but the puppies look kind of Saint Bernard. If someone wants to adopt them from Hanumangarh, Rajasthan, do contact me.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201211_161552.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201211_161323.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201211_161332.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201211_161213.jpg  

Last edited by yesyeswe : 15th December 2020 at 00:23.
yesyeswe is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 12:02   #5553
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a 7 month old ferel male cat which is born in our home. He has got severe round worm infestation. He has vomited bile and round worms 7 times over the past 36 hours. He has also stopped eating since he started vomiting. . The vet gave a deworming tablet yesterday which it vomited after 2 hours. Today morning, the vet applied a medicine from a small tube(fevi kwik size) in the neck area between the ears saying it will remove the round worm. I am not sure how something applied on the skin/fur will help in deworming from the intestine/stomach.

Now the cat has not eaten anything for 2 days/48 hours. Tried both dry food and wet food. Just drinks some water once a while. Just sits in one place. Any suggestions on how I can make him eat some food before he becomes too weak.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 15th December 2020 at 12:13.
Old 15th December 2020, 12:22   #5554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
We have a 7 month old ferel male cat which is born in our home. He has got severe round worm infestation. He has vomited bile and round worms 7 times over the past 36 hours. He has also stopped eating since he started vomiting. . The vet gave a deworming tablet yesterday which it vomited after 2 hours. Today morning, the vet applied a medicine from a small tube(fevi kwik size) in the neck area between the ears saying it will remove the round worm. I am not sure how something applied on the skin/fur will help in deworming from the intestine/stomach.

Now the cat has not eaten anything for 2 days/48 hours. Tried both dry food and wet food. Just drinks some water once a while. Just sits in one place. Any suggestions on how I can make him eat some food before he becomes too weak.
The meds need to work. Try the deworming tab one more time with the vet assistance. Break it into pieces and make sure he eats it. A full one will be difficult for him to take in.

Get some fresh grass from outside, wash it well, and place root down in a glass of water. He will nibble on the grass to get himself to puke more. Puking is good.

To settle the stomach, some dahi left outside for a few hours to become a little sour is best.

He wont eat anything until the stomach is sorted. There is no point forcefeeding either. Cats will normally survive a week without food. Keep plenty of fresh water
in an earthen pot if you can changedd every day at home to drink (drinking water, which you drink NOT tap, avoid plastic bowls).

Avoid dry food, only give wet food for a while which is easier to digest. Sheba, whiskas.

Do you let the cat out? If you do, you will face these issues again and again.

Last edited by Red Liner : 15th December 2020 at 12:24.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 12:28   #5555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The meds need to work. Try the deworming tab one more time with the vet assistance. Break it into pieces and make sure he eats it. A full one will be difficult for him to take in.

Get some fresh grass from outside, wash it well, and place root down in a glass of water. He will nibble on the grass to get himself to puke more. Puking is good.

To settle the stomach, some dahi left outside for a few hours to become a little sour is best.

He wont eat anything until the stomach is sorted. There is no point forcefeeding either. Cats will normally survive a week without food. Keep plenty of fresh water
in an earthen pot if you can changedd every day at home to drink (drinking water, which you drink NOT tap, avoid plastic bowls).

Avoid dry food, only give wet food for a while which is easier to digest. Sheba, whiskas.

Do you let the cat out? If you do, you will face these issues again and again.

I will follow your suggestions with grass and drinking water and wet food.

Will try to give the tablet one more time. Maybe half a tablet.

He is a free roaming cat. But mostly roams in 100 meter radius of the home. We feed and take care of him since he has lost an eye in a freak accident when he was 3 months old
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 12:33   #5556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

He is a free roaming cat. But mostly roams in 100 meter radius of the home. We feed and take care of him since he has lost an eye in a freak accident when he was 3 months old
Just a suggestion. If you feel attached in any way to him, get him neutered once this infection is fixed and leash him inside your home after a good pet spa treatment to get rid of any ticks and fleas. A one eyed cat might not survive too long outside especially during mating season.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:03   #5557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ideally check with the vet first before giving the deworming medicine - IIRC the deworming tablets are not to be overdone. But in your case, he's vomited the tablet so it kinda makes sense to give it again. Honestly, I'd say trust your vet - he should know better than a bunch of pet owners on a social forum

Also cats take their time to get better - the grass is a good idea. Some of my cats like lemon grass too (it depends on the cat I guess) when their stomach's aren't in a great condition. My kitten took ~3 days to get over his loose motion situation after being fed the medicine. Just ensure he's comfortable till he gets better.

Also try boiled meat - chicken/fish/whatever he's been used to. Agree on the no for dry food.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:11   #5558
Distinguished - BHPian

For all the TBHP pet lovers, we saw a very nice movie yesterday, which is about a Dog's life and his racer owner. It is called "The Art of Racing in the rain" on Hotstar.
It is really worth watching for all Dog lovers!

Here is the trailer of the same:

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th December 2020 at 13:12.
Behemoth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 14:37   #5559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ideally check with the vet first before giving the deworming medicine - IIRC the deworming tablets are not to be overdone. But in your case, he's vomited the tablet so it kinda makes sense to give it again. Honestly, I'd say trust your vet - he should know better than a bunch of pet owners on a social forum

Also cats take their time to get better - the grass is a good idea. Some of my cats like lemon grass too (it depends on the cat I guess) when their stomach's aren't in a great condition. My kitten took ~3 days to get over his loose motion situation after being fed the medicine. Just ensure he's comfortable till he gets better.

Also try boiled meat - chicken/fish/whatever he's been used to. Agree on the no for dry food.
I will take him to vet again today evening. SO will check and ask him to give another deworming tablet if needed.

Since we are vegetarians, I cannot implement your suggestion on boiled meat. He is very happy with Whiskas wet food. So , I can give that to him. Only if he starts eating again.
Old 15th December 2020, 15:42   #5560
BHPian

This is Ricky, golden retriever 3.5 years old. When it comes to cars and travelling he shares a great passion just like us.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201212_124237.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201212_124259.jpg  

prram is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 17:54   #5561
BHPian

Guys, a question related to dogs.
My passenger door is all scratched up from inside because of inconsistent and never tiring need for my dog to look out of the window - thereby scratching the inside of the door by mistake.
Any DIY or product available which I can apply on the door to prevent this ?

I was thinking about a thick cloth or something but couldn't find the way to stick it.

Something like the attached picture.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-ciazinteriorreardoorpad.jpeg
Old 16th December 2020, 11:19   #5562
BHPian

Quote:
We have a 7 month old ferel male cat which is born in our home. He has got severe round worm infestation.
I hate to tell you a different view point. You need to be wary of these cats as they can spread serious parasitic infestations on to humans. The same worms can latch on to us if we are not careful.
Another major worry is Toxoplasmosis. I am quoting here: "As a cat ingests an infected small animal such as a rodent, the protozoa invade cells of the cat's intestine. The parasite undergoes several developmental changes to become infective and gets released into the environment in cat feces. This parasite can invade another animal or human, as it buries into skeletal muscles, heart muscles and the brain."

For people like us - there is more - "these dormant parasites can affect the neuron connectivity in the brain resulting in strange behaviors which include increased suicidal tendencies. Another effect is lowered reaction time, increase in irritation which combine to increase the rate of road accidents. Rats infected with the parasite exhibit poor self preservation as they appear fearless against their predator - cats, an effect dubbed as fatal feline attraction. It affects men in a negative way while having no similar effects in women." - Sourced from https://athena.targetwoman.com/cats
Prowler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 11:39   #5563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Another major worry is Toxoplasmosis. I am quoting... ...from https://athena.targetwoman.com/cats
Yes, I am aware of toxoplasmosis. Thanks for the link. Has good information

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th December 2020 at 11:53. Reason: Trimmed quote
Old 16th December 2020, 12:09   #5564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What the vet gave your cat is most likely selamectin (sold under different brand names). It gets absorbed via skin and goes into systemic circulation within 24 hrs, and is effective for both endo and ecto parasites.
As your cat had vomited out worms, he had severe worms infestation.

Ideally you should deworm your cats every 3-4 months (outdoor ones). For endo parasites only, you can use anything that has pyrantel pamoate & febantel, by weight of course. I suggest you use selamectin, as application is easy (apply on the skin, not fur, at the neck where he cannot lick) & it is effective for both endo and ecto parasites.

Also, get him vaccinated.
I would suggest yearly doses of rabies and tricat trio (works against feline calicivirus (FCV) and feline herpes virus type 1 (FHV) and feline panleucopenia virus (FPLV).)
That's what my cat gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
For all the TBHP pet lovers, we saw a very nice movie yesterday, which is about a Dog's life and his racer owner. It is called "The Art of Racing in the rain" on Hotstar.

Here is the trailer of the same:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Zz9O...CenturyStudios
You should read the book of the same name by Garth Stein, on which the movie is based. One of the best books that I have read.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 02:02   #5565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
It is called "The Art of Racing in the rain" on Hotstar.
Thanks for sharing this, really loved the movie. I would echo your thoughts it’s worth watching for dog lovers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks