Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2020, 22:35   #5581

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What a great point! I was a small child with two Alsatians, as we called them. Neither had any interest in me at all. They were absolutely not family dogs, and didn't much want anything to do with anyone but my mother. They were completely safe, just disinterested. It was such a huge change when we got a Golden Retriever puppy, She and I were able to be puppies together.

Since leaving home I have been a cat person, so won't try to advise further. Except... Do listen to those who know the breeds and their traits well.
Though I do not have any experience with owning or growing up with dogs I read and hear from people that though certain breeds are meant for certain tasks the way we treat, train and socialize them makes a world of difference. .Looks like in your case most of the interaction with them was by your mother hence they were more attached to her.

This again points to patience and investment in time as quoted by fellow members. Based on few real life examples I come to the understanding be it any breed what we get would be inversely proportional to what we give.Do correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Note: I do not want to hijack this thread and go off topic so I will try my best not to circle back to square one.
Old 25th December 2020, 00:19   #5582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PradoGdr88 View Post
This again points to patience and investment in time as quoted by fellow members. Based on few real life examples I come to the understanding be it any breed what we get would be inversely proportional to what we give.Do correct me if my understanding is wrong.
It is a good way of looking at things, but you are missing one factor, which is that dogs do vary by breed. Part of the nature of the German Shepherd Dog is to be a one-man dog. Those dogs were attached to my mum. You can't just say any breed...

Don't worry about hijacking: advice and resultant conversation is a part of the thread.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 00:35   #5583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Passing through the unfortunate situation of one of my 8 month old cat swallowing a small needle yesterday night. We took him to the vet immediately and got an xray done - the needle was in the stomach.

Currently on a wait-n-watch today to see if there is any vomitting or the needle passes out via stool. The plan is to get the surgery done tonight.

Has anyone experienced this in the past? If yes, please do share any advice/suggestions.
Please feed him banana if the vet approves. Our vet had recommended it when Cherry bit the end of a safety pin. The needle will stick to the banana and hopefully come out with stool. But this works for dogs and I'm not sure about cats. Hopefully he recovers quickly.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 09:37   #5584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PradoGdr88 View Post

A GSD is indeed a one person dog. It would take one member of the family as its leader and stick to it for its entire life. Anything and everything that one person says is the command. Where as what other family members say is more of a suggestion.

I know way to many households were the GSD is ultimately taken care by the helpers who feed it because the dog refused to follow orders of other family members.

Socialization and training helps and is a must. But inherent traits of the breeds do not change. Two of my dogs would only listen to me. And unless I asked them to eat food they would not. Became very difficult when I left home for studies. Eventually they started after trial and error but it was a struggle.

My White Shepherd only listened to my sister and it was hard for my parents to have him come out of the room when she was not around.

All my dogs had advanced training but that did not change their inherent traits.

I feel a GSD is the best dog breed but to truly let their personality shine they need alot of work. Of course, the rewards are totally worth it.

Last edited by bigron : 25th December 2020 at 09:44.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 21:22   #5585
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post my query - MODs, please feel free to move to other threads.

TL;DR: Is it legal to ask the pet owners to not to leave their pets unattended in an apartment building (common areas)?

Here's some background:

In our newly constructed apartment building a new owner has shifted a couple of weeks ago. They have a pet cat.
Around the same time, other residents have started seeing cat paws on their car's bonnets/roofs - in short, making the cars look dirty.
Similarly, many others have reported the sear covers of their bikes have been torn (with pictures as proofs).

Some of the residents have seen this particular cat sitting on their roofs (or under the car). One of the residents saw the particular cat in question sitting on his bike (he shot a video as well).
Today, the cat was roming in one's private balcony.

Whenever society members try to request the pet owner to not to leave the cat unattended, the owner more or less threatens with legal action.
Note that nobody is saying that the owner shouldn't keep the pet, but the only ask is to take the responsibility.

A few reasons:
1. Kids do play in the area where the cat is roaming. People are worried the cat may attack their kids. The pet owner just brushes off the responsibility by saying the cat isn't hostile.
2. Our apartment building also has stray dogs. These may pose danger to the pet cat. The pet owner doesn't just understand the threat.
3. People fear if the cat sits in the engine bay area, he may get harmed upon starting the engine. Again, the owner doesn't seem to worry much - only interested in throwing threats.

So, the questions are - is it legal to ask the pet owner to not leave the pets unattended?
With the right to keep the pet in an apartment, there will be certain responsibilities too?

Please share your thoughts on the above.
Thanks!
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 00:18   #5586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
is it legal to ask the pet owner to not leave the pets unattended?
How could it possibly be illegal? You can ask any person anything you like. It's like him threatening legal action against you for wishing him a good morning!

However... Can you force him to restrain and control his cats? If the building rules allow people to keep cats there, then you probably can't.

Then one has the reality of cats to deal with. Talk to my wife about this one! Can she make me stop my cats doing things and going places that she doesn't like? No. And no more can I restrain the cats.

If they damage your property then perhaps you have a case for complaint, and the legal action may be all against your neighbour. I sit on both sides of the fence on this one: I keep cats, I recognise that they are, essentially, wild animals when outdoors, and cannot be trained or supervised as can dogs, but I also have a car. A nice polish can be spoilt by cat claws. A car cover can be destroyed by cats. A few years ago, a friend was telling me how cats in his apartments had destroyed his bike seat. At first, I tended to be on the cats' side, but I soon realised what a real, and expensive problem this was for him.

As to the other points: Unlikely that they would attack a child, unless the child was attacking the cat. Note, though, that a cat can scratch in play. The danger of street dogs to cats is something that we all live with. I have lost two of my current generation to dogs. They learn to avoid the dogs, or they are kept inside: no other answer.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:55   #5587
BHPian

Going to adopt an adult mid-sized dog today. Can you suggest a good pet store in Bangalore where I can buy all the quality items like - bed, leash, collar, tag, brush, etc. I've seen many Heads Up For Tails outlets across town. They have everything, but it's quite pricey. But if they offer quality stuff, I don't mind going there.
creative420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:05   #5588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Going to adopt an adult mid-sized dog today. Can you suggest a good pet store in Bangalore where I can buy all the quality items like - bed, leash, collar, tag, brush, etc. I've seen many Heads Up For Tails outlets across town. They have everything, but it's quite pricey. But if they offer quality stuff, I don't mind going there.
Which part of Bangalore are you in? There is one called Cessna in Domlur that is both vet hospital and pet supplies. This comes highly recommended. V-care pet clinic is another good one with many branches across town (Whitefiled, Kormangala, Sarjapur Rd)
CosmicWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:13   #5589
BHPian

Quote:
Check online stores Amazon, petsutra etc, you will get a variety to choose from.
Old 2nd January 2021, 09:10   #5590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Check online stores Amazon, petsutra etc, you will get a variety to choose from.
If you buy leashes off amazon from unknown brands there is a good chance the leash will just snap (or rather, the ring which fastens the collar hook to the leash) leaving you chasing a fast running dog taking off after a cat.

Happened once to me, and after that I stick to one specific leash with a rubber padding around the grip, that heads up for tails stocks. Comfortable for my dog as well as for me, strong and light weight.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:11   #5591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Needed it like today. So gonna hit the offline stores. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I stick to one specific leash with a rubber padding around the grip, that heads up for tails stocks. Comfortable for my dog as well as for me, strong and light weight.
Ah. Thanks. Will check it out.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:29   #5592
Senior - BHPian

Just Dogs, in JP Nagar is good. Renee Pet Clinic, JP Nagar is another favourite. Online products are really poor (In my experience). So try out the product before you buy (these products are more about comfort, so texture and 'feel' is very important). Pet products/Pet care is an over-priced enterprise. Everybody is there just to fleece, so I just grin and bear it for my 'much loved companion'
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 19:03   #5593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Just Dogs, in JP Nagar is good. Renee Pet Clinic, JP Nagar is another favourite. Online products are really poor (In my experience). So try out the product before you buy (these products are more about comfort, so texture and 'feel' is very important). Pet products/Pet care is an over-priced enterprise. Everybody is there just to fleece, so I just grin and bear it for my 'much loved companion'
Thanks for the info, but I just went out and bought stuff from Heads Up For Tails. It all seemed quite expensive, but I'll learn and make informed decisions in the future. Adoption went smooth. "Chase" is home.
creative420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 19:49   #5594
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I just went out and bought stuff from Heads Up For Tails. It all seemed quite expensive, but I'll learn and make informed decisions in the future. Adoption went smooth. "Chase" is home.
We want some pictures man! Congratulations on the adoption, it's the right thing to do.
yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:44   #5595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
We want some pictures man! Congratulations on the adoption, it's the right thing to do.
Here you go. Name is Chase. He's gonna go under proper grooming sesh this weekend. Will update more pics later.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-chase-1.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-chase-2.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-chase-3.jpeg  

creative420 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks